Forum Stats
60412 Members
45 Forums
475574 Topics
6238717 Posts

Max Online: 16728 @ 03/25/12 08:51 AM
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#6319748 - 06/02/16 10:20 AM Hunt with ATN X-Sight?
huntpp23 Offline
Light Foot

Does anyone hunt with the ATN X-Sight Smart Scope? I have read the quality is not as good as a normal scope but its technology capabilities seem well worth the purchase. Looking to use it for hogs and deer 120 yards and in. Any feedback from the forum on this scope??

http://www.atncorp.com/x-sight-night-vision-rifle-scope-3-12x

#6319932 - 06/02/16 12:21 PM Re: Hunt with ATN X-Sight? [Re: huntpp23]
Dalee7892 Online   content
Tracker

Loc: Denton County
Read thru all the other postings on here about the ATN. Some good a lot not so good.

#6320241 - 06/02/16 03:49 PM Re: Hunt with ATN X-Sight? [Re: huntpp23]
ImTheReasonDovesMourn Online   content
Tracker

Loc: Greenville, TX
I have an X-Sight 3-12 and its closest competitor, which is the Sightmark Photon XT 4.6. The X-Sight has better image quality, day or night. Without mentioning any other features that may or may not work, I reall like the X-Sight for hunting at night.

#6320250 - 06/02/16 03:58 PM Re: Hunt with ATN X-Sight? [Re: huntpp23]
Double Naught Spy Online   content
Extreme Tracker

Loc: Forestburg, Montague Cnty, TX
Dale and ITRDM bring up an interesting conundrum. The X-sight has a much better day image and the night image is very good, when not flickering. The Photon isn't quite so nice. The X-sight's (noted by Dale) have a history of issues. Maybe you get a good scope, maybe not. The Photons just plain seem to work. So the gamble is whether you end up with something better or something worse than the Photon, or just pick the Photon.

#6320271 - 06/02/16 04:11 PM Re: Hunt with ATN X-Sight? [Re: Double Naught Spy]
Tracker

Originally Posted By: Double Naught Spy
Dale and ITRDM bring up an interesting conundrum. The X-sight has a much better day image and the night image is very good, when not flickering. The Photon isn't quite so nice. The X-sight's (noted by Dale) have a history of issues. Maybe you get a good scope, maybe not. The Photons just plain seem to work. So the gamble is whether you end up with something better or something worse than the Photon, or just pick the Photon.

I was lucky with my X-Sight compared to many others. The screen hasn't flickered or dimmed excessively, and I've never updated the firmware. I don't even know what version I'm running. Video recording works fine on my scope too, so that's a bonus.

One thing I don't like about the X-Sight is the boot time. It takes several seconds to boot up after I press the power button. This is a pain in the butt when I'm hunting at night because I don't leave the scope on continuously. The Photon turns on immediately after pressing the power button, so that's something else to consider.

If I think of anything else that might be useful to you, I'll post it. cheers

#6320303 - 06/02/16 04:42 PM Re: Hunt with ATN X-Sight? [Re: huntpp23]
Pig_Popper Online   content
Tracker

Loc: Fort Worth
I've stopped hunting with both my X-sights , the flickering is just too much of a turnoff.

#6320649 - 06/02/16 08:26 PM Re: Hunt with ATN X-Sight? [Re: huntpp23]
CharlieCTx Offline
Tracker

Loc: Flower Mound, TX
I'm happy with my 5-18.

Charlie

Edited by CharlieCTx (06/02/16 08:31 PM)

#6322050 - 06/03/16 08:47 PM Re: Hunt with ATN X-Sight? [Re: huntpp23]
texashunter900 Online   happy
Bird Dog

Loc: Ennis, TX
I have had the x sights and I have a photon.
Using the Photon during the day is useless. Holding up the heavy x sight on a gun builds arms and back strength.
The photon is simple straight forward going to work at a 4.6 magnification. The x sight can zoom in closer day or night if the batteries don't die.

I will probably try the x sight ii just to see if it works but I will hang on to the Photon just in case.

#6322146 - 06/03/16 10:48 PM Re: Hunt with ATN X-Sight? [Re: huntpp23]
Espy Online   content
Veteran Tracker

Loc: Eddy TX.
I own both the x sight and the photon. I only use then for night hunting. I have a doubler on the photon and can see a lot further than my xsight.
I hunt with the photon. The x sight sits in the safe unless someone wants to hunt with it.

#6322344 - 06/04/16 09:01 AM Re: Hunt with ATN X-Sight? [Re: huntpp23]
Vern1 Offline
Pro Tracker

Loc: Pettytown, TX, US of A
I have an older Photon 5X.
It just works.
The only thing I don't like about it is when recording, the reticle doesn't show up in the video (the newer Photon XT does).
It has been used to harvest LOTS of hogs and still does.

I had 2 XSights.
The only thing I like about them is they are GONE!

I know the limitations and accept the fact that they are night vision scopes.
However, I have arrived at the stand in the afternoon and shot pigs in broad open daylight with the Photon 5X so it does work in daylight.
I also sight all my digital scopes in during the day.
I print a 5" black dot on white paper and use that as a target.
It is interesting that the Photon records in color but shows greyscale inside scope.

Edited by Vern1 (06/04/16 09:06 AM)
NRA Lifetime Member

#6322374 - 06/04/16 09:36 AM Re: Hunt with ATN X-Sight? [Re: texashunter900]
Stealthjr Online   content
Woodsman

Loc: DFW
Originally Posted By: texashunter900
Using the Photon during the day is useless. Holding up the heavy x sight on a gun builds arms and back strength.
The photon is simple straight forward going to work at a 4.6 magnification. The x sight can zoom in closer day or night if the batteries don't die.

I will probably try the x sight ii just to see if it works but I will hang on to the Photon just in case.

I have the photon and your statement about hunting during the day being useless puzzles me. What, in your opinion, makes it "useless"? I've had zero issues during the day, everything is perfectly clear, and have killed 6 out of 6 hogs with daytime opportunities all from 60-85 yards. Not sure what your talking about...

Thanks.

#6322409 - 06/04/16 10:12 AM Re: Hunt with ATN X-Sight? [Re: Stealthjr]
Tracker

Originally Posted By: Stealthjr
Originally Posted By: texashunter900

I have the photon and your statement about hunting during the day being useless puzzles me. What, in your opinion, makes it "useless"? I've had zero issues during the day, everything is perfectly clear, and have killed 6 out of 6 hogs with daytime opportunities all from 60-85 yards. Not sure what your talking about...

Thanks.

The Photon sucks during the day. It's the only optic I've ever used that doesn't allow me to see .30 caliber holes in my target at 50 yards. It works good at night though.

#6322420 - 06/04/16 10:36 AM Re: Hunt with ATN X-Sight? [Re: ImTheReasonDovesMourn]
Vern1 Offline
Pro Tracker

Originally Posted By: ImTheReasonDovesMourn
The Photon sucks during the day. It's the only optic I've ever used that doesn't allow me to see .30 caliber holes in my target at 50 yards. It works good at night though.

You are asking a lot for a $500.00 night scope.
That's what spotting scopes or feet are for.
Pigs are much bigger than a 30 cal hole in a target.

Have you tried adjusting the darkness/contrast or using the included lens cap - the one with the daytime filter in the center of it?

As you can see in the video above, recorded thru my Photon 5X on an Angel Eyes DVR with NO filter, I don't have a problem identifying a hog and delivering a kill shot in broad daylight from 100 yards.

Edited by Vern1 (06/04/16 10:37 AM)
NRA Lifetime Member

#6322435 - 06/04/16 11:15 AM Re: Hunt with ATN X-Sight? [Re: Vern1]
Tracker

Originally Posted By: Vern1

You are asking a lot for a $500.00 night scope.
That's what spotting scopes or feet are for.
Pigs are much bigger than a 30 cal hole in a target.

Have you tried adjusting the darkness/contrast or using the included lens cap - the one with the daytime filter in the center of it?

As you can see in the video above, recorded thru my Photon 5X on an Angel Eyes DVR with NO filter, I don't have a problem identifying a hog and delivering a kill shot in broad daylight from 100 yards.

Don't take it personally, Vern. I like my Photon and I think it's a great value. I just think it sucks during the day.

#6322531 - 06/04/16 12:49 PM Re: Hunt with ATN X-Sight? [Re: ImTheReasonDovesMourn]
Vern1 Offline
Pro Tracker

Don't take it personally, Vern. I like my Photon and I think it's a great value. I just think it sucks during the day.

Oh no Sir, not taking it personal - if it came across as such, it surely wasn't ment to be so.
Just making suggestions as I've lived with one for quite some time and have wasted too much money and time on the XSight.
As you can see, I have different results but I do have the 5X, are you using the 5X or XT?
Also, the video was recorded off the Photon and not what you see thru the scope.
Makes me wonder why Photon doesn't use a color display inside the scope.
It would cut over to greyscale in low light conditions anyway and since it's designed to be nighttime, it does make sense.

That being said, I primarily use my Pulsar N750A.
The Photon 5X still gets lots of use by me and friends and family to introduce/hook them so I have night time hunting buddies!
Both are mounted on ARs with ARP 6.8x43 barrels and have nice DRT performance.
NRA Lifetime Member

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© 2004-2016 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide