Forum Statistics
Forums46
Topics537,757
Posts9,728,737
Members87,039
Most Online25,604
Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
When you dump a pig and nothing will eat it - what does that mean? #6313562 05/27/16 06:10 PM
P
Pig_Popper Online Content OP
Extreme Tracker
OP Online Content
Extreme Tracker
P
We've donated a few hogs to the Texas Buzzard and Coyote Conservation Society over the years.

Most are accepted and dispensed of by natural manner.

There have been a few over the years that nothing touches, 2 , 3 weeks go by and the decay is a slow process.

In laymen's terms who can give a plausible explanation to this event.

I figured the scavengers would eat ANYTHING...

This space is For Sale - inquire within ...
Re: When you dump a pig and nothing will eat it - what does that mean? [Re: Pig_Popper] #6313576 05/27/16 06:23 PM
K
krmitchell Online Content
Extreme Tracker
Online Content
Extreme Tracker
K
I dumped around 20 pigs this year at least and I never saw a buzzard near our bone pile. Of course we had deer there as well. I figured with hunting season in full swing there was plenty of dead stuff and they just never made it to where we were. Might be the same thing, just other food sources.

Re: When you dump a pig and nothing will eat it - what does that mean? [Re: Pig_Popper] #6313604 05/27/16 06:40 PM
P
Extreme Tracker
OP Online Content
Extreme Tracker
P
Good Point Rex - in our case the buzzards are circling just making a conscious decision to not land and we're covered up in yotes...

Re: When you dump a pig and nothing will eat it - what does that mean? [Re: Pig_Popper] #6313614 05/27/16 06:48 PM
D
der Teufel Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
D
Do you cut them open? slitting the stomach or cutting through the skin on the back will make it easier for scavengers.

I have two unwritten rules:
Re: When you dump a pig and nothing will eat it - what does that mean? [Re: Pig_Popper] #6313641 05/27/16 07:14 PM
P
Extreme Tracker
OP Online Content
Extreme Tracker
P
Nope leave em lay as nature intended , your not implying that I light a candle and leave silverware for them are you ?!?!?

Joking of course

Re: When you dump a pig and nothing will eat it - what does that mean? [Re: der Teufel] #6313645 05/27/16 07:21 PM
F
flintknapper Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
F
Originally Posted By: der Teufel
Do you cut them open? slitting the stomach or cutting through the skin on the back will make it easier for scavengers.

^^^^^^^^^ This.

I am uncertain as to why it makes a carcass more attractive, but in my experience it does make a difference.

Coyotes (under normal circumstances)....will want the carcass only while it is still fairly fresh. Buzzards will eat it in any state of decomposition. Coyotes will return and consume the bones once they are stripped of flesh.

In my part of Deep East Texas....there will be no trace of the hog (save for hair and hooves) within 48 hours (often times less if a small hog).

Spartans ask not...how many, but where!
Re: When you dump a pig and nothing will eat it - what does that mean? [Re: Pig_Popper] #6313690 05/27/16 08:18 PM
R
redchevy Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
R
Have often wondered the same. We have had a 200 lb boar all but disappear over night and had a smaller ones sit for weeks untouched. We have a healthy yote/buzzard/karakara population.

Somone dumped a big hog in the middle of our county road, its a small little traveled gravel/sand road. The hog sat there fore months till someone moved it, nothing ate it.

Also dump our coyotes in the same spot nothing eats the yotes ever. One time I skinned one to keep the hide and they ate the skinned yote like candy!

It's hell eatin em live
Re: When you dump a pig and nothing will eat it - what does that mean? [Re: Pig_Popper] #6313971 05/28/16 12:58 AM
D
der Teufel Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
D
Originally Posted By: Pig_Popper
Nope leave em lay as nature intended , your not implying that I light a candle and leave silverware for them are you ?!?!?

Joking of course

Well, maybe not the candle . . . but remember — in the upscale restaurant business, presentation is everything!
After skinning a few hogs I quickly understood why footballs are made from pigskin. It's tough! Giving the predators an opening will speed up their work.

I have two unwritten rules:
Re: When you dump a pig and nothing will eat it - what does that mean? [Re: Pig_Popper] #6313991 05/28/16 01:13 AM
S
Simple Searcher Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
S
Yup, cutting them open is a big help. We see times during the winter (deer season) when the buzzards have moved south and even a skinned deer carcass will go untouched.

[Linked Image]

"Man is still a hunter, still a simple searcher after meat..." Robert C. Ruark
Re: When you dump a pig and nothing will eat it - what does that mean? [Re: Pig_Popper] #6315059 05/29/16 01:09 PM
T
TX Hitman Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
T
Nature always keeps up guessing.

My neighbor bought some cows from Kansas once. A few of them died within a couple days. Nothing touched those cows. Buzzards or yotes. We just guessed they had some type of infection that the scavengers know not to eat.

The old momma cows that die naturally usually don't last more than a couple days.

Yotes and coons rarely seem to get touched by buzzards either.

Rabbits seem to be the same. I've seen them gone overnight. I have also seen them sit for a couple of weeks. One night we shot about 10 jack rabbits. I piled them up under a feeder so I could get pictures. Those things sat there for about 2 weeks before a lone hog finally scattered them out. Won't do that again. barf gagged the whole time I had to fill that feeder.

confused2

Re: When you dump a pig and nothing will eat it - what does that mean? [Re: Pig_Popper] #6315329 05/29/16 07:06 PM
C
CoolBarrelBill Online Content
Tracker
Online Content
Tracker
C
Good Point Rex - in our case the buzzards are circling just making a conscious decision to not land and we're covered up in yotes...

The Buzzards and yotes get a long just fine on my lease f

Re: When you dump a pig and nothing will eat it - what does that mean? [Re: der Teufel] #6315594 05/30/16 12:29 AM
Double Naught Spy Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
Originally Posted By: der Teufel

Joking of course

Well, maybe not the candle . . . but remember — in the upscale restaurant business, presentation is everything!
After skinning a few hogs I quickly understood why footballs are made from pigskin. It's tough! Giving the predators an opening will speed up their work.

I have noticed that buzzards have a much harder time getting into hogs when they have to go through the skin. The go for the eyes and anus first, then usually try to work an abdominal side or belly where there is no shielding. Still, the hide can be tough. So you can speed up their work by slicing open the hog.

Hogdalorian - Si vis pacem cum sus, para bellum.
My Videos https://www.youtube.com/user/HornHillRange
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide