476395 Topics
6249585 Posts

Max Online: 16728 @ 03/25/12 08:51 AM
Topic Options
#6314709 - 05/28/16 06:28 PM Driven grouse - Scotland
Creekrunner Offline
THF Trophy Hunter

Loc: Bexar/Gillespie, hunt Terrell
I'm really not much of a bird hunter, but I wound up observing one of these hunts after a stag hunt I'd completed. 'Thought you guys might enjoy it, albeit a bit long. Way too rich for my blood, but I'm glad I got to see it. The wife and I are in the video ever so briefly, at the bar and supper scenes towards the end. grin The "castle" was okay, but, frankly, although it looks amazing on the video, needs a lot of money dumped into it to really bring it up to proper par. So lies the burden of the UK landed class.

#6314745 - 05/28/16 07:14 PM Re: Driven grouse - Scotland [Re: Creekrunner]
Nogalus Prairie Offline
THF Celebrity

Loc: Corsicana
Very cool. I wouldn't mind the experience - but I'll never cough up the cost to do it. Too many other things come first. But just witnessing it as you did would be plenty fine with me.

Thanks for sharing it. up

#6314977 - 05/29/16 12:09 AM Re: Driven grouse - Scotland [Re: Nogalus Prairie]
TMc Offline
Tracker

Loc: Dallas, Texas
Great video. I like the formality of attire. I've never done anything like that and just might need to put that on the bucket list.

#6315441 - 05/29/16 04:02 PM Re: Driven grouse - Scotland [Re: TMc]
Creekrunner Offline
THF Trophy Hunter

Loc: Bexar/Gillespie, hunt Terrell
Originally Posted By: TMc
Great video. I like the formality of attire. I've never done anything like that and just might need to put that on the bucket list.

Although I took an English style cap, proper jacket, and "moleskin" pants for stag stalking, I refused to buy "breeks", the long socks (with the tassles), and special shoes, just to go watch these guys one day. I swear, with some of them (and there was more than one couple from our very own Highland Park) half the attraction to this hunt I think was lugging all their dad-gum attire "across the pond". No thank you.

One crotchety old guy from St. Louis and I hit it off pretty well and, although he didn't have a second gun, I enjoyed having two shotgun shells ready for him to load and he needed a little help spotting birds, which I was glad to help out.

Don't get me wrong, I'd love to do this kind of shoot. I just can't justify the accoutrement organization, and money, required. Not to mention, my little Beretta Silver Pigeon would be looked down upon by this crowd. An orthopedic surgeon out of WY had matching Holland & Hollands.

#6315668 - 05/29/16 08:41 PM Re: Driven grouse - Scotland [Re: Creekrunner]
TMc Offline
Tracker

Loc: Dallas, Texas
Originally Posted By: Creekrunner
Originally Posted By: TMc

Although I took an English style cap, proper jacket, and "moleskin" pants for stag stalking, I refused to buy "breeks", the long socks (with the tassles), and special shoes, just to go watch these guys one day. I swear, with some of them (and there was more than one couple from our very own Highland Park) half the attraction to this hunt I think was lugging all their dad-gum attire "across the pond". No thank you.

One crotchety old guy from St. Louis and I hit it off pretty well and, although he didn't have a second gun, I enjoyed having two shotgun shells ready for him to load and he needed a little help spotting birds, which I was glad to help out.

Don't get me wrong, I'd love to do this kind of shoot. I just can't justify the accoutrement organization, and money, required. Not to mention, my little Beretta Silver Pigeon would be looked down upon by this crowd. An orthopedic surgeon out of WY had matching Holland & Hollands.

I hadn't thought about the potential pretentiousness. (that's a tongue twister)
I've always considered myself more of a rugged conditions hunter. Meaning I'm quite comfortable sleeping in the freezing cold tool shed my outfitter in Montana refers to as a 'Rustic Cabin' lol.
Long way from hunting in a jacket, vest, shirt & tie. But yeah...I'd draw the line at the tassel socks too.
Maybe I'll meet the bucket list half way and try a 'slightly formal' pheasant hunt here in the states, lol.

A Silver Pigeon would be a dream shotgun for me. I've got a Turkish Huglu side-by-side a buddy of mine brought me when he was stationed there about 15 years ago. So I can imagine the eye-rolls I'd get showing up with that!

#6315742 - 05/29/16 09:32 PM Re: Driven grouse - Scotland [Re: Creekrunner]
Barny Topwater Offline
red bone Bob

Loc: New Braunfels TX USA
I would bet the grouse shot with the Beretta or the Huglu would be just as dead as the grouse shot with the matching H & Hs

#6315831 - 05/29/16 10:47 PM Re: Driven grouse - Scotland [Re: Creekrunner]
Nogalus Prairie Offline
THF Celebrity

Loc: Corsicana
Yes, with all due respect - the guy narrating the video certainly didn't look like he was the second coming of Annie Oakley.

© 2004-2016 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide