6237093 Posts

Max Online: 16728 @ 03/25/12 08:51 AM
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#6312414 - 05/26/16 01:18 PM Getting back on the grind
SapperTitan Online   content
THF Celebrity

Loc: Killeen/Ft Hood, TX
I haven't ran in almost 6 months due to patellar tendinitis in both my knees which I have tried to rehab multiple times over the last 1 1/2 yrs but always run into setbacks. Tuesday I decided to walk/run on the treadmill, I walked about 1 mile as a warm up and then alternated 1 min running at slow pace 1 min walking for the last mile then I walked at a moderate pace for the last 2 minutes to reach 30 min of cardio. Wed I did the same thing but picked the pace up on the waking and running did 30 minutes again. Today I walked 15 min jogged at a slow pace for 5 and then the last 10 minutes I did 60/120s basically sprint 60 seconds walk 120 seconds and repeat until I reached 30 min. So far I'm not having the pain like I was in my knees. I may just walk for 30 inclined the next 2 days and then take a day or two off. The last thing I want to do is overdue it and have the tendinitis come back bc it hurts so bad I can't push through it and I've pushed through a lot of pain over my yrs in the Army. I'll check back in every now and then to update. Fingers crossed the pain stays away and I can get back into my former shape.

#6312485 - 05/26/16 02:13 PM Re: Getting back on the grind [Re: SapperTitan]
BOBO the Clown Offline
decoy

Loc: Metroplex
One foot in front of the other... Pace is irrelevant, it's about the finish line being met and then setting it further out.

#6312706 - 05/26/16 06:25 PM Re: Getting back on the grind [Re: SapperTitan]
PKnTX Online   content
Extreme Tracker

Loc: Collin County
Good job. Getting started after time off isn't easy. up

#6314070 - 05/27/16 09:42 PM Re: Getting back on the grind [Re: SapperTitan]
KWood_TSU Offline
THF Trophy Hunter

Loc: College Station/Bryan
Have you tried an elliptical

Lochow Ranch Pond and Lake Management

Bison Coolers Field Staff-Ask me how to get a discount

#6314325 - 05/28/16 09:55 AM Re: Getting back on the grind [Re: KWood_TSU]
THF Celebrity

Originally Posted By: KWood_TSU
Have you tried an elliptical
yep used it quite a bit while trying to rehab the tendinitis

#6317478 - 05/31/16 02:47 PM Re: Getting back on the grind [Re: SapperTitan]
westtexaswatkins Offline
THF Trophy Hunter

Loc: Anton, TX
Me too. I have been SLOWLY jogging 2 miles a day over the last week. I've got to get back in a manageable shape. Good luck and keep it up my friend.

#6318450 - 06/01/16 09:39 AM Re: Getting back on the grind [Re: westtexaswatkins]
BOBO the Clown Offline
decoy

Originally Posted By: westtexaswatkins
Me too. I have been SLOWLY jogging 2 miles a day over the last week. I've got to get back in a manageable shape. Good luck and keep it up my friend.

I'm down 17lbs since the javi hunt. If I can do it, I know you and Sapper can. I'm a beat up joint less old man up

#6318856 - 06/01/16 03:16 PM Re: Getting back on the grind [Re: SapperTitan]
skinnerback Online   content
THF Celebrity

Loc: Rockport, Tx.
I'm finally getting off my butt too Sapper. Been in an office environment for a while now, got lazy, and have gained 30 lbs. Sure was easy to stay in shape when I was in the field climbing stairs and structures all day. Started my new routine yesterday - up at 4 am/30 minutes of cardio on the treadmill then a few light sets on the weights focusing on only 1 muscle group per day. After work and chores, 30 more minutes of cardio and a few sets of push ups. I have to take it pretty easy on the weights this time, can't hit them hard like I used to do to torn cartilage/rotator cuff in my right shoulder. Last two times I tried to lift I thought I was taking it easy enough but still hurt my shoulder, and when I hurt it it frekin' HURTS and I can't do anything with that arm for up to 2 weeks. bang Was about to have surgery done to fix it but got laid off and lost insurance before I got it done. Anyway, I'm at 235 now. My healthy/in-shape weight is 200-205. I WILL get back to it. I suck at portion control (working on it), and I truly enjoy cold beer after work but I am cutting off alcohol while I'm on tower (2-weeks at a time). Not putting this off anymore, and I need to drink less anyway grin

#6318939 - 06/01/16 04:28 PM Re: Getting back on the grind [Re: SapperTitan]
THF Celebrity

I've gained about 50 lbs since I got back from Afghanistan in Jan 2014. I can't wait to shed this weight. Eating healthy always seems to be the hardest thing so I'm just cutting out certain things from my regular diet. The biggest thing being Mountain Dew.

I've increased my cardio to 5 min of walking then 5 min of running just keep alternating for 30-45 minutes. I could run longer but I just want to take it slow for the first month so my knees won't develop tendinitis again.

#6318951 - 06/01/16 04:34 PM Re: Getting back on the grind [Re: SapperTitan]
Creekrunner Online   happy
THF Trophy Hunter

Loc: Bexar/Gillespie, hunt Terrell
Good on you for getting after it. You get to be my age and water seems to have calories. 'Giving up tons of stuff for many months and the scale hardly budges. Time to sweat daily in the good ol' humidity.

#6318973 - 06/01/16 04:55 PM Re: Getting back on the grind [Re: SapperTitan]
skinnerback Online   content
THF Celebrity

Loc: Rockport, Tx.
Originally Posted By: SapperTitan
I've gained about 50 lbs since I got back from Afghanistan in Jan 2014. I can't wait to shed this weight. Eating healthy always seems to be the hardest thing so I'm just cutting out certain things from my regular diet. The biggest thing being Mountain Dew.

I've increased my cardio to 5 min of walking then 5 min of running just keep alternating for 30-45 minutes. I could run longer but I just want to take it slow for the first month so my knees won't develop tendinitis again.

cheers I'm thinking incline/power walking myself and may get an elliptical. I HATE running, kills my lower back. Only 3 things make me run...1)I'm chasing a pig with the dogs. 2)Something is fixing to blow up. 3)Something's fixing to get me. roflmao I'm down with a good sweaty power walk though. Take it easy on those knees amigo!

#6319067 - 06/01/16 06:45 PM Re: Getting back on the grind [Re: skinnerback]
BOBO the Clown Offline
decoy

Originally Posted By: skinnerback

cheers I'm thinking incline/power walking myself and may get an elliptical. I HATE running, kills my lower back. Only 3 things make me run...1)I'm chasing a pig with the dogs. 2)Something is fixing to blow up. 3)Something's fixing to get me. roflmao I'm down with a good sweaty power walk though. Take it easy on those knees amigo!

I can't run with my knees. Doctors orders unless I want metal ones.

I climb stairs about 32stories. Every step once a week and skip a step once a week. I grab my pack and add 40-90lbs.

#6319070 - 06/01/16 06:46 PM Re: Getting back on the grind [Re: SapperTitan]
BOBO the Clown Offline
decoy

Right mind set cheers

Just keep setting the goal a little tougher just becareful and don't over do it.

#6320306 - 06/02/16 04:45 PM Re: Getting back on the grind [Re: BOBO the Clown]
redchevy Online   content
THF Celebrity

Loc: Texas
Originally Posted By: BOBO the Clown
Originally Posted By: skinnerback

I can't run with my knees. Doctors orders unless I want metal ones.

I climb stairs about 32stories. Every step once a week and skip a step once a week. I grab my pack and add 40-90lbs.

Used to do 20 stories, sometimes twice a day, once in the morning and the second at lunch, was a good workout, pretty much the only thing I miss about the old office building.

#6320968 - 06/03/16 12:03 AM Re: Getting back on the grind [Re: SapperTitan]
KWood_TSU Offline
THF Trophy Hunter

Loc: College Station/Bryan
I started at 205 and now I'm down to 167 on a 6'frame. I've found out that diet is the absolute most important thing. It's been proven to be 80%diet and 20%exercise.

Get protein, cut out carbs and sugar, those two things are the devil if you're trying to lose weight.

Lochow Ranch Pond and Lake Management

Bison Coolers Field Staff-Ask me how to get a discount

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© 2004-2016 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide