Print Thread
Security Products Gun Safes ?? #6299149 05/15/16 05:28 PM
W
WileyCoyote Offline OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
W
Anybody looked at, know of an owner's experiences with, or have personally used a Security Products Inc security safe, available with custom orderable features like "dual key locking tamper proof access systems", "work hardening drill proof plates" and "bolt action locking systems", and a "base minimum of 45 minutes at 1200*" and up to a lot higher temps & longer than that minimum level degree of fire temps & time @ 60 minutes at 2400* or 90 minutes at 1800* levels available.

Last Friday, 5/13/16 about noon, we watched a brick house burn totally on Hwy 69 at the south Bells City Limit sign in Grayson County, from about 8-10 cars back or close enough to see everything I never want to see at my own home, while stuck in a 1/2 mile stack of traffic...in about 25/30 minutes, or a lot shorter time than I thought my house would have taken. This is what has triggered the ???"s after looking for a new safe the last couple months with the planning going into this house and seeing what is available in the non custom retail trade right now.

SP's are NOT the cheapest safe available or the biggest volume seller...but being built to order near Waco out of US made steel has my attention....just dunno if I can afford one with all the other expenses of rebuilding the 50 year old house we've bought, and want to buy the last Safe I'll ever buy.

Not looking for comments on electronic or the otherwise preferable mechanical dial locking devices, any other brands available at the Big Box or chain Stores I've already looked at either...
Ron

Last edited by WileyCoyote; 05/15/16 05:58 PM.

It is TIME for Term Limits, cause Politicians are like childrens diapers and for the same reasons...Robin Williams

"These are the times that try men's soul's"...Thomas Paine

"Those who fail to learn from History are doomed to repeat it" ....Santayana
Re: Security Products Gun Safes ?? [Re: WileyCoyote] #6299519 05/15/16 11:11 PM
H
headhunter54 Offline
Tracker
Tracker
H
I have 2 of them and have had no regrets buying them. Saw them at Tyler Gun Show 15 years ago and liked the design and the people selling them. My buddy and I each ordered one and they delivered them to the gun show next time they were in Tyler so all we had to do was get them home.
My buddy wanted a large Browning safe so I bought his(how I ended up with two)
Can't testify about fire protection as I haven't had to try it out.
Put a Golden Rod in the bottom and have never had a problem.
I like the hidden key locks better than an electronic key pad that can go bad.
The hooks on the door plus the little bins top and bottom hold a lot of little stuff.
Just buy the biggest you can afford as they won't hold as much as you think, especially scoped guns.

Re: Security Products Gun Safes ?? [Re: WileyCoyote] #6299559 05/15/16 11:43 PM
W
WileyCoyote Offline OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
W
HH54...That sounds like a pretty good referral ...after 15 years of service... and what I'd like to hear from anyone else that has used these safes.

As per ususal we are getting hit with repairs and Code upgrades on this old house a little harder than hoped for or planned...but nothing has surfaced that we didn't know about....so far.

Seeing that house on Hwy 69 burn last Friday afternoon 200 yrds from where we were jammed up to a stop bumper to bumper really drove home the reality of what a major fire does to some poor guys life, assuming he survived it. There was a couple ambulances respond, in addition to every VFD in the that end of the 2 adjacent County's of Fannin & Grayson ... but no outbound rush when the ambulance's began to pull out as our traffic jam broke.

Nothing of the house worth trying to save or repair was left standing... a total loss...just 6 hours later on our return trip back south with a load of leftover household goods the movers didn't get.
Thx Ron

It is TIME for Term Limits, cause Politicians are like childrens diapers and for the same reasons...Robin Williams

Re: Security Products Gun Safes ?? [Re: WileyCoyote] #6300794 05/17/16 12:22 AM
O
Old Rabbit Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
O
I love mine, bought it in 1986 after I lost all my guns when my house got broken into. After you get used to the recessed locks you can open it in the dark in very little time.

Re: Security Products Gun Safes ?? [Re: WileyCoyote] #6300853 05/17/16 01:04 AM
T
TimOub007 Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
T
About 8 years ago when I was safe shopping I did not come across this brand. Seeing that they are made in TX I wish I would have though. I would have considered them for sure.

I wound up with a https://www.sturdysafe.com/ and have been pleased. I only wish I would have gotten a taller model. I make it a point to tell people now to buy the tallest available safe that will fit your spot and from your maker of choice. This allows for shelves across the top of your long guns to store important papers, ammo or pistols.

I settled on the Sturdy Safe from reading the info on their site about the different types of fire proofing materials. Take a look and review that info before making your decision.

Tim

Re: Security Products Gun Safes ?? [Re: WileyCoyote] #6301988 05/18/16 12:33 AM
W
WileyCoyote Offline OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
W
007...Hmmm interesting thought about the height I had not considered. SP has some 72" tall safes that I'll take a look at.

After watching the house fire last Friday, stuck in the traffic jam just outside Bells on Hwy 69, I can certainly understand the need for increasing the average temp & length of burn protection...SP's base temp & length of burn level is 45 minutes @ 1200*s and offers up to double that I think.
Ron

Re: Security Products Gun Safes ?? [Re: WileyCoyote] #6310215 05/25/16 12:32 AM
C
Caliche Kid Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
C
I posted just a few minutes ago on these safes. Have had one for over 20 years and the other for 13 years. You can probably find my earlier post and read why I recommend them. Get some special material handling dollies and lots of help to move them. I wouldn't recommend for trailers or wooden floors, they're heavy. Lots of short 2x4s to rock them off and on the dolly. Don't try to stuff one in a small space. Bolt it down.

Re: Security Products Gun Safes ?? [Re: WileyCoyote] #6312169 05/26/16 02:38 PM
68A Online Content
Extreme Tracker
Online Content
Extreme Tracker
Have had one for 6 years. Best safe out there, imo. The recessed door and key lock system sold me on them. I ordered mine with internal hinges, I don't see any way possible for anyone to get inside, short of a plasma cutter. They used to have a good video on their website, not sure if they still do. While not the cheapest, I am definitely pleased. As for the fire rating, I hope to never test that aspect. I went with the standard offering.

Re: Security Products Gun Safes ?? [Re: WileyCoyote] #6318094 06/01/16 02:26 AM
E
El_Numero_Uno Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
E
I have had a door for 5-6 years and like the way the locks work. Good people. They are usually set up at the Dallas Market Hall Gun Show. There is one in 2 weeks.

El Numero Uno
"I do Ruger No.1 rifles"
www.classicsportingarms.com
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide