Page 1 of 2 1 2
Broadheads #6306298 05/21/16 04:52 PM
B
Bowtech kid Offline OP
Bird Dog
OP Offline
Bird Dog
B
Going to give ramcats a try. Shot DRT this year they did good.put once they hit a deer r hog the blades couldn't take it. Ramcats worth it?

Re: Broadheads [Re: Bowtech kid] #6306354 05/21/16 06:30 PM
kmon11 Online Shocked
junior
Online Shocked
junior
Only thing I have shot wirh ramcat was a doe at 25 yards and almost no nlood reail. She wenr close to 100 yards with a double lung shot. Blades after pass through were like a butter knife, dull dull dull

lf the saying "Liar, Liar your pants on fire" were true
Mainstream news might be fun to watch
Re: Broadheads [Re: Bowtech kid] #6306784 05/22/16 03:42 AM
P
passthru Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
P
Rage in the cage.

I work hard, drink a little and hunt when I can.
NRA Life Member
https://sofalasafaris.com/
Re: Broadheads [Re: Bowtech kid] #6306941 05/22/16 01:52 PM
A
Aggieman775 Offline
Tracker
Tracker
A
I love muzzy trocars or phantom sc

TSmith
Re: Broadheads [Re: Bowtech kid] #6307089 05/22/16 04:40 PM
B
bphillips Offline
Tracker
Tracker
B
Yes they're great heads. You have to know going in that the blades will bend. I carry them along with a few others. Big cut and lots of blood.

My favorite is QAD exodus right now. Pretty big cut also and very strong.

[Linked Image]
Re: Broadheads [Re: bphillips] #6307790 05/23/16 05:05 AM
C
chital_shikari Offline
Minor in training
Minor in training
C
Originally Posted By: passthru
Rage in the cage.
Word. Have 40KEs, original 2-blade, and shock collar 2-blade.
Probably gonna get a pack of Hypodermics this year.

Originally Posted By: bphillips
How do these fly?

I like Slick Tricks, but they don't fly well out of my NOCAM. Were great out of my Mission, but idk. #RageFTW

To OP: I've heard a few swear by the Ramcats. Good luck with them. up

Re: Broadheads [Re: Bowtech kid] #6308191 05/23/16 03:57 PM
C
chongo Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
C
If I'm shooting fixed blade I'm a big fan of Magnus Stingers, they've always flown well for me and great blood trails. For a mech. I like the Rage, never lost an animal, deer or pig and blood trails look like something out of a horror movie.

I've read good things on the QAD Exodus and might give them a try this season.

Re: Broadheads [Re: Bowtech kid] #6309668 05/24/16 05:46 PM
B
Bowhunt Only Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
B
Slick Trick Magnums 125 grain, all the way. They've never failed me, even on tough African and Australian animals.

Re: Broadheads [Re: Bowtech kid] #6309971 05/24/16 09:41 PM
W
Wes70 Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
W
Shot the Radical Archery Design mad mans this weekend. They flew great and I shot two pigs with the same head and after it is still razor sharp.

Re: Broadheads [Re: Bowtech kid] #6311745 05/26/16 01:39 AM
T
Tactical Cowboy Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
T
Stinger!!

The secret to a long life is to try not to shorten it.
Re: Broadheads [Re: chital_shikari] #6311916 05/26/16 04:49 AM
B
bphillips Offline
Tracker
Tracker
B
Originally Posted By: chital_shikari
Rage in the cage.

How do these fly?

I like Slick Tricks, but they don't fly well out of my NOCAM. Were great out of my Mission, but idk. #RageFTW

They all fly great out of a well tuned bow. That's why many have problems with fixed heads and they just mask a problem with mechanicals. I shoot ramcat, exodus, stingers, and helix from the same bow.. I also keep hypodermics and grim reapers but only shoot them if my bow is tuned good enough to shoot my fixed blades

[Linked Image]
Re: Broadheads [Re: bphillips] #6311934 05/26/16 07:33 AM
kmon11 Online Shocked
junior
Online Shocked
junior
Rage in the cage.

How do these fly?

They all fly great out of a well tuned bow. That's why many have problems with fixed heads and they just mask a problem with mechanicals. I shoot ramcat, exodus, stingers, and helix from the same bow.. I also keep hypodermics and grim reapers but only shoot them if my bow is tuned good enough to shoot my fixed blades

You pointed out the importance of a well tuned bow. about any balanced broadhead will fly well from a well tuned bow with the correct arrows. Those arrows will also penetrate better since all the energy from the arrow is applied directly to the broadhead.

Even with masking the tuning issues by shooting expandable broadheads penetration will not be as good as from a well tuned bow since there will be more shaft drag as the arrow penetrates the target or game.

lf the saying "Liar, Liar your pants on fire" were true
Mainstream news might be fun to watch
Re: Broadheads [Re: Bowtech kid] #6312083 05/26/16 01:15 PM
F
FoxTrot Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
F
Heard good things about the Ramcats. Never shot them. I shot G5 Montecs, Slick Tricks and my new favorite...G5 Havoc. Shto 3 deer with the Havocs last year. One DRT, 1 went 20 yds and my KS buck went about 50 yds. Blood trails from the Havocs would make a Rage shooter jealous...With this being said, I love Rage broadheads too.

Originally Posted By: Chief Joe
I avoid Dick's and hope they fold.
Re: Broadheads [Re: Bowtech kid] #6312095 05/26/16 01:26 PM
P
passthru Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
P
I've never been a mechanical head fan. I love Thunderheads. Ran Montecs for a while but unless I get a low exit wound the blood trails were getting harder for my aging eyes to follow. Hated Rage. But the new Shock Collar design has made them much more dependable. On deer I've been 100% recovery on short, profuse, blood trails with them. On bigger pigs I still shoot the Thunderheads though.

And as previously stated a well tuned bow matched with the properly spined arrow and head set is the key to kinetic energy and penetration. Regardless of head choice.

NRA Life Member
Re: Broadheads [Re: Bowtech kid] #6312499 05/26/16 07:29 PM
C
chital_shikari Offline
Minor in training
Minor in training
C
My dad's Z7Extreme has not shot fixed blade broadheads well. When I asked the pro shop dude about it, he paper tuned it and when we went home it still wouldn't shoot the fixed heads well. Rage it has no problem with.

I agree that a well tuned bow will shoot them all--as did my Mission and does my uncle's bow. But for some reason, the Z7E hasn't worked out and I haven't played around with the HTR yet. Love my Rages and I haven't had any problems yet. confused2

Re: Broadheads [Re: chital_shikari] #6312866 05/27/16 02:00 AM
C
ChrisB Online Content
Veteran Tracker
Online Content
Veteran Tracker
C
I prefer to put the biggest hole possible in an animal I shoot. I shoot Grim Reapers and have had excellent results with them. For fixed heads the HellRazors have been the best for me, but I just use them on pigs.

Re: Broadheads [Re: chital_shikari] #6312931 05/27/16 02:43 AM
B
bphillips Offline
Tracker
Tracker
B
My dad's Z7Extreme has not shot fixed blade broadheads well. When I asked the pro shop dude about it, he paper tuned it and when we went home it still wouldn't shoot the fixed heads well. Rage it has no problem with.

I agree that a well tuned bow will shoot them all--as did my Mission and does my uncle's bow. But for some reason, the Z7E hasn't worked out and I haven't played around with the HTR yet. Love my Rages and I haven't had any problems yet. confused2

I have a shop like that and sometimes they just don't know any better. Paper tuning while good just gets you close. YouTube walk back tuning there are a few videos on it. Could also be bad form and just not realize it. if they paper tuned it they should have had your dad shoot it also then if it was off after they could talk about what was happening. My bet is he is torquing the bow, BUT if all is good there walk back tuning should fine tune it. Lots of different tuning options out there but like I said paper just gets you close.

Any bow should shoot any fixed head with good form when properly tuned. It's beneficial also because you get the best arrow flight possible which also aides in penetration.

[Linked Image]
Re: Broadheads [Re: chital_shikari] #6312967 05/27/16 03:09 AM
P
passthru Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
P

My Z7E was tough to tune. Honestly, a sophisticated cannot do it for you. They can get you close but the only way I could get mine shooting right is bare shaft paper tuning. I shot stiffer arrows as I thought I might be under spine with no luck, I ended up with the rest closer than I thought was normal to the riser. I had to actually adjust my knock timing to get good fletching clearance on the cables. If you look at that bow, the age of the string is so canted across the bow due to the cam design that is very tough to get the center shot and the tiller perfect. It took me a long time and multiple tiny adjustments to get it shooting bullet holes and flying my Thunderheads flying well and to the same point of impact as my field points.

NRA Life Member
Re: Broadheads [Re: bphillips] #6312979 05/27/16 03:20 AM
P
passthru Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
P

I have a shop like that and sometimes they just don't know any better. Paper tuning while good just gets you close. YouTube walk back tuning there are a few videos on it. Could also be bad form and just not realize it. if they paper tuned it they should have had your dad shoot it also then if it was off after they could talk about what was happening. My bet is he is torquing the bow, BUT if all is good there walk back tuning should fine tune it. Lots of different tuning options out there but like I said paper just gets you close.

Any bow should shoot any fixed head with good form when properly tuned. It's beneficial also because you get the best arrow flight possible which also aides in penetration.

If you want paper tuning to give you the most accurate results you need to bare shaft tune. Some bows tune easier than others. My Elite was perfect from the shop. However my Hoyt took a little more work to get it where I needed it. I worked with CCR on paper tuning them with fletching but went to the house and checked bare shaft as well. It's the easiest way to get your tiller and center shot perfectly aligned. Not only for your bow but also for your personal grip and form.

Walk back tuning is good for getting your grouping dynamics set but if you can't shoot a bullet hole with a bare shaft through paper you aren't getting a straight arrow out of your bow to begin with.

NRA Life Member
Re: Broadheads [Re: Bowtech kid] #6312986 05/27/16 03:24 AM
P
passthru Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
P
Also be sure he is shooting the properly spined arrows cut to the right length and the weight head he should be or it won't tune properly.

NRA Life Member
Re: Broadheads [Re: Bowtech kid] #6313028 05/27/16 04:03 AM
dogdown23 Offline
Tracker
Tracker
Knock on wood, Rage Extremes have never let me down and leave a horrific blood trail.

Dogdown

The only thing that'll stop a bad man with a gun, is a good man with a gun.
Re: Broadheads [Re: Bowtech kid] #6313031 05/27/16 04:11 AM
P
passthru Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
P
Rage heads leave a great trail but you still have to have good arrow flight to maximize penitration. Especially because it takes energy out of the arrow to deploy the blades.

NRA Life Member
Re: Broadheads [Re: passthru] #6313277 05/27/16 02:19 PM
B
bphillips Offline
Tracker
Tracker
B

If you want paper tuning to give you the most accurate results you need to bare shaft tune. Some bows tune easier than others. My Elite was perfect from the shop. However my Hoyt took a little more work to get it where I needed it. I worked with CCR on paper tuning them with fletching but went to the house and checked bare shaft as well. It's the easiest way to get your tiller and center shot perfectly aligned. Not only for your bow but also for your personal grip and form.

Walk back tuning is good for getting your grouping dynamics set but if you can't shoot a bullet hole with a bare shaft through paper you aren't getting a straight arrow out of your bow to begin with.

Yea I know there are several different tuning methods that can be tried and there are YouTube videos on all of them. Can be a lot of work or just a minor tweak.

[Linked Image]
Re: Broadheads [Re: Bowtech kid] #6316823 05/31/16 04:44 AM
C
chital_shikari Offline
Minor in training
Minor in training
C
Good deal. Thanks y'all. Guess the pro shop isn't as pro as the Internet is. up

Re: Broadheads [Re: passthru] #6317282 05/31/16 05:29 PM
BOBO the Clown Online Content
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal

You can shot bullet holes and still have tuning issues with your set up with fixed heads. Good news it's as simple as turning your nock.

Donate to TX Youth hunting program.... better to donate then to waste it in taxes

https://secure.qgiv.com/for/gtgoh/mobile
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide