Print Thread
Who do you believe? #6301085 05/17/16 05:44 AM
B
booradley Offline OP
Veteran Tracker
OP Offline
Veteran Tracker
B
When purchasing a rifle scope and you don't have much or any experience with scopes - who do you believe?

The scope manufacturers website - don't think so.

Magazines - have another drink.

The salesman behind the counter - I here almost as much BS from them as I do from customers.

Your buddy - in my experience usually not.

Forums like THF - I see great advice being given and horrible advice being given so who do you believe.

Doesn't seem like there are any easy choices. And what if you have a lot of experience hunting deer, hog, coyotes out to 400 yards but decide you want to start shooting targets at 1,000 yards? That would be me - if I ever decided to start that type of shooting. I would go to FiremanJG or Chad even though I've never met them.

Don’t roll those bloodshot eyes at me.
Re: Who do you believe? [Re: booradley] #6301134 05/17/16 12:01 PM
P
patriot07 Online Content
Extreme Tracker
Online Content
Extreme Tracker
P
I PMed firemanjg and followed his advice. Has worked well for me. I had shot bolt actions at close distances before (<150 yards) but started with google and the THF when I wanted to get more into the distance shooting game.

There are a few pieces of advice I've seen on here that can be very mis-leading, but overall I think forums like this with real users are the best source of information. You have to understand that everyone is biased to one or more brands of equipment that they own, so the important thing is to pay attention to WHY they like the piece of equipment they like (rather than the equipment itself) and try to use that information when you're doing your own research.

Re: Who do you believe? [Re: booradley] #6301148 05/17/16 12:26 PM
B
booradley Offline OP
Veteran Tracker
OP Offline
Veteran Tracker
B
Your point that everyone is biased is well taken. There is great advice given on this forum. There is also not so great advice given.

Re: Who do you believe? [Re: booradley] #6301171 05/17/16 12:47 PM
J
jeepercreeper Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
J
I trust my eyes and the holes on the target

Re: Who do you believe? [Re: booradley] #6301332 05/17/16 02:50 PM
C
ChadTRG42 Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
C
Like anything, do your own research and make your own informed decision. People ask me all the time about what gear they should get. What works for me, may not work for you or how you plan to use your gear. Start with items or products that fit your needs, and go from there.

[Linked Image]
Custom and Precision Ammunition!!
https://DallasReloads.com/
Type 01 and Type 06 FFL
Re: Who do you believe? [Re: booradley] #6301542 05/17/16 05:27 PM
B
Brother in-law Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
B
I think you have to form your own opinion. There are way to many gear fanboys or way to much mis information on so so stuff.
I see it on this forum a lot with people just spouting stuff out because that is what they have or what they want. Personally I use info from about three different forums and then try to handle it myself before purchasing.

Re: Who do you believe? [Re: booradley] #6301574 05/17/16 05:46 PM
T
Tactical Cowboy Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
T
I usually check product reviews from the retailer (ie midway).. particularly the bad ones. If there is a common issue, most likely it will be addressed by many reviewers. Then, I try to look at it in a store, and if I like it, I buy it where I can get it cheapest.

Last edited by Tactical Cowboy; 05/17/16 05:46 PM.

The secret to a long life is to try not to shorten it.
Re: Who do you believe? [Re: booradley] #6301577 05/17/16 05:50 PM
RedSnake Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
That's easy.... FiremanJG. Everything he says is gospel. Always

Re: Who do you believe? [Re: RedSnake] #6301613 05/17/16 06:33 PM
J.G. Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
^^Ha!

Thanks for the kind words to those that have said so. I have stayed out of the rifle scope threads where a guy wants a short range, regular scope. I figure there are plenty of people here with more experience with those than I could ever offer anything more than them. If a guy wants to shoot farther I'll try to help him and stay within his budget. People state a budget for a reason, heck I have a budget, so I get it. I've got four scopes I regularly use, and they are from three manufacturers. I don't get any kick-back from recommending a certain brand, I'm not necessarily sponsored by a brand, so I'll recommend what works for the stated task and try to not break the budget ceiling. I've told several guys, via PM, that if they increased their budget just a tad more they open up a wider set of choices. Some have said they'd increase the budget, but when they say they have to stay in the original limit, I'll do what I can to find what wil work for that much money. I don't have numbers, but I bet I've given my opinion to significantly more people that never have come out for my range day, than have come out. I'm glad to help, even if it doesn't generate any business for me. I remember trying to figure all this out, on my own, and am glad to help lower the learning curve for folks.

Some people get bent out of shape for my offerings, and that's fine. It doesn't make me lose any sleep. I know that I shoot distance 52 weeks a year, I don't know what they do. That's worth what ever it's worth, it's different for everyone.

[Linked Image]
800 Yard Steel Range
Precision Rifle Instruction
Memberships and Classes Available
Re: Who do you believe? [Re: booradley] #6301675 05/17/16 07:41 PM
Cast Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted By: booradley
I would go to FiremanJG or Chad even though I've never met them.

Well see, there's the problem. JG is actually afraid of guns, a vegan too, and Chad is a teenage girl.

banana bolt

Cast

[Linked Image]

I have a short attention spa
Re: Who do you believe? [Re: Cast] #6301713 05/17/16 08:22 PM
R
rickym Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
R
Originally Posted By: Cast
Originally Posted By: booradley
I would go to FiremanJG or Chad even though I've never met them.

Well see, there's the problem. JG is actually afraid of guns, a vegan too, and Chad is a teenage girl.

banana bolt

roflmao

Re: Who do you believe? [Re: booradley] #6301732 05/17/16 08:38 PM
B
booradley Offline OP
Veteran Tracker
OP Offline
Veteran Tracker
B
I knew about JG but not Chad.

Re: Who do you believe? [Re: Brother in-law] #6302751 05/18/16 06:01 PM
B
Big Fitz Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
B
Originally Posted By: Brother in-law
I think you have to form your own opinion. There are way to many gear fanboys or way to much mis information on so so stuff.
I see it on this forum a lot with people just spouting stuff out because that is what they have or what they want. Personally I use info from about three different forums and then try to handle it myself before purchasing.

I have to agree with BIL (threw up in my mouth just a little typing that). I listen to multiple sources and start forming opinions on people's credibility. Read reviews and form opinions there. Then, through process of elimination, I will make my decision.

Did I mention agreeing with BIL made me a bit ill? barf rofl

Originally Posted by onlysmith&wesson
I was wrong...on anything technical.

Originally Posted by Sailor
Fitz............. is right, ya know............
Re: Who do you believe? [Re: Big Fitz] #6302773 05/18/16 06:12 PM
B
BigPig Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
B
Originally Posted By: Big Fitz

I have to agree with BIL (threw up in my mouth just a little typing that). I listen to multiple sources and start forming opinions on people's credibility. Read reviews and form opinions there. Then, through process of elimination, I will make my decision.

I know what you mean rofl

Wade Dews, REALTOR ®
Rendon Realty, LLC
Frontline Real Estate Team
www.RendonRealty.com
WadeDews@gmail.com
214-356-2410
Up to 1% for closing costs for First Responders & Veterans
Proudly partnered with Assist The Officer Foundation https://atodallas.org/
Re: Who do you believe? [Re: booradley] #6302869 05/18/16 07:33 PM
D
Deerhunter61 Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
D
I use a combination of the above but I do not buy a scope until I look thru it. I just bought an inexpensive Simmons for a 22 but had to look thru it before I made the purchase.

Re: Who do you believe? [Re: booradley] #6303054 05/18/16 10:24 PM
syncerus Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
You can't necessarily identify what's good by reading the forums, but they're pretty reliable at identifying junk.

I agree about the fads, fashions and fanboys. I've fallen victim to group think a few times myself, and I'd like to think that I've learned at least a little from my mistakes; maybe not as much as I wished I'd learned, lol.

That said, there is a reliable core of really experienced shooters on the better boards and the collective wisdom is pretty solid. It does help to understand the individual poster's shooting / hunting background and preferences. For example, I know that several posters here specialize in long range shooting: it's their thing. As a result, you shouldn't be surprised when their recommendations are heavily biased in that direction. Others are very budget conscious and their recommendations and experiences focus on low end gear. Again, this is a good thing if that's what you want to buy. Yet others are hunters rather than shooters, and they think the equipment obsessed are gear queens and should be ignored.

Reading these boards is a lot like reading Consumer Reports before you go car shopping. It's a good tool for eliminating junk and inferior products, but it's a bad tool for deciding what's perfect for YOU.

NRA Patriot Benefactor & DSC Lifer
Re: Who do you believe? [Re: Big Fitz] #6303252 05/19/16 01:28 AM
B
Brother in-law Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
B

Don't hate me because I'm right grin

Last edited by Brother in-law; 05/19/16 02:37 AM.
Re: Who do you believe? [Re: Brother in-law] #6303362 05/19/16 02:39 AM
B
Big Fitz Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
B

Don't hate me because I'm right grin

rofl

Originally Posted by onlysmith&wesson
I was wrong...on anything technical.

Originally Posted by Sailor
Fitz............. is right, ya know............
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide