Forum Stats
60412 Members
45 Forums
475577 Topics
6238765 Posts

Max Online: 16728 @ 03/25/12 08:51 AM
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#6301085 - 05/17/16 12:44 AM Who do you believe?
booradley Offline
Pro Tracker

Loc: Justin, TX
When purchasing a rifle scope and you don't have much or any experience with scopes - who do you believe?

The scope manufacturers website - don't think so.

Magazines - have another drink.

The salesman behind the counter - I here almost as much BS from them as I do from customers.

Your buddy - in my experience usually not.

Forums like THF - I see great advice being given and horrible advice being given so who do you believe.

Doesn't seem like there are any easy choices. And what if you have a lot of experience hunting deer, hog, coyotes out to 400 yards but decide you want to start shooting targets at 1,000 yards? That would be me - if I ever decided to start that type of shooting. I would go to FiremanJG or Chad even though I've never met them.

#6301134 - 05/17/16 07:01 AM Re: Who do you believe? [Re: booradley]
patriot07 Offline
Tracker

Loc: Royse City, TX
I PMed firemanjg and followed his advice. Has worked well for me. I had shot bolt actions at close distances before (<150 yards) but started with google and the THF when I wanted to get more into the distance shooting game.

There are a few pieces of advice I've seen on here that can be very mis-leading, but overall I think forums like this with real users are the best source of information. You have to understand that everyone is biased to one or more brands of equipment that they own, so the important thing is to pay attention to WHY they like the piece of equipment they like (rather than the equipment itself) and try to use that information when you're doing your own research.

#6301148 - 05/17/16 07:26 AM Re: Who do you believe? [Re: booradley]
booradley Offline
Pro Tracker

Your point that everyone is biased is well taken. There is great advice given on this forum. There is also not so great advice given.

#6301171 - 05/17/16 07:47 AM Re: Who do you believe? [Re: booradley]
jeepercreeper Offline
Extreme Tracker

Loc: DFW
I trust my eyes and the holes on the target

#6301332 - 05/17/16 09:50 AM Re: Who do you believe? [Re: booradley]
ChadTRG42 Offline
THF Trophy Hunter

Loc: Lewisville, TX
Like anything, do your own research and make your own informed decision. People ask me all the time about what gear they should get. What works for me, may not work for you or how you plan to use your gear. Start with items or products that fit your needs, and go from there.

www.DallasReloads.com
Type 01 and Type 06 FFL

#6301542 - 05/17/16 12:27 PM Re: Who do you believe? [Re: booradley]
Brother in-law Offline
THF Celebrity

I think you have to form your own opinion. There are way to many gear fanboys or way to much mis information on so so stuff.
I see it on this forum a lot with people just spouting stuff out because that is what they have or what they want. Personally I use info from about three different forums and then try to handle it myself before purchasing.

#6301574 - 05/17/16 12:46 PM Re: Who do you believe? [Re: booradley]
Tactical Cowboy Offline
Veteran Tracker

Loc: Abilene
I usually check product reviews from the retailer (ie midway).. particularly the bad ones. If there is a common issue, most likely it will be addressed by many reviewers. Then, I try to look at it in a store, and if I like it, I buy it where I can get it cheapest.

Edited by Tactical Cowboy (05/17/16 12:46 PM)

#6301577 - 05/17/16 12:50 PM Re: Who do you believe? [Re: booradley]
RedSnake Offline
Veteran Tracker

Loc: Dallas / Nolan County
That's easy.... FiremanJG. Everything he says is gospel. Always

by RedSnake Enterprises, LLC
www.i-Solunar.com

#6301613 - 05/17/16 01:33 PM Re: Who do you believe? [Re: RedSnake]
FiremanJG Offline
THF Celebrity

Loc: Wolfe City, TX
^^Ha!

Thanks for the kind words to those that have said so. I have stayed out of the rifle scope threads where a guy wants a short range, regular scope. I figure there are plenty of people here with more experience with those than I could ever offer anything more than them. If a guy wants to shoot farther I'll try to help him and stay within his budget. People state a budget for a reason, heck I have a budget, so I get it. I've got four scopes I regularly use, and they are from three manufacturers. I don't get any kick-back from recommending a certain brand, I'm not necessarily sponsored by a brand, so I'll recommend what works for the stated task and try to not break the budget ceiling. I've told several guys, via PM, that if they increased their budget just a tad more they open up a wider set of choices. Some have said they'd increase the budget, but when they say they have to stay in the original limit, I'll do what I can to find what wil work for that much money. I don't have numbers, but I bet I've given my opinion to significantly more people that never have come out for my range day, than have come out. I'm glad to help, even if it doesn't generate any business for me. I remember trying to figure all this out, on my own, and am glad to help lower the learning curve for folks.

Some people get bent out of shape for my offerings, and that's fine. It doesn't make me lose any sleep. I know that I shoot distance 52 weeks a year, I don't know what they do. That's worth what ever it's worth, it's different for everyone.

800 Yard Steel Rifle Range
Long Range Shooting Instruction
Memberships and Classes Available

#6301675 - 05/17/16 02:41 PM Re: Who do you believe? [Re: booradley]
Cast Offline
THF Celebrity

Loc: North Texas - God's Country
Originally Posted By: booradley
I would go to FiremanJG or Chad even though I've never met them.

Well see, there's the problem. JG is actually afraid of guns, a vegan too, and Chad is a teenage girl.

banana bolt

I have a short attention spa

#6301713 - 05/17/16 03:22 PM Re: Who do you believe? [Re: Cast]
rickym Offline
Extreme Tracker

Loc: texas
Originally Posted By: Cast
Originally Posted By: booradley
I would go to FiremanJG or Chad even though I've never met them.

Well see, there's the problem. JG is actually afraid of guns, a vegan too, and Chad is a teenage girl.

banana bolt

roflmao

#6301732 - 05/17/16 03:38 PM Re: Who do you believe? [Re: booradley]
booradley Offline
Pro Tracker

I knew about JG but not Chad.

#6302751 - 05/18/16 01:01 PM Re: Who do you believe? [Re: Brother in-law]
Big Fitz Offline
Veteran Tracker

Loc: McKinney, TX
Originally Posted By: Brother in-law
I think you have to form your own opinion. There are way to many gear fanboys or way to much mis information on so so stuff.
I see it on this forum a lot with people just spouting stuff out because that is what they have or what they want. Personally I use info from about three different forums and then try to handle it myself before purchasing.

I have to agree with BIL (threw up in my mouth just a little typing that). I listen to multiple sources and start forming opinions on people's credibility. Read reviews and form opinions there. Then, through process of elimination, I will make my decision.

Did I mention agreeing with BIL made me a bit ill? barf rofl

#6302773 - 05/18/16 01:12 PM Re: Who do you believe? [Re: Big Fitz]
BigPig Offline
THF Trophy Hunter

Loc: Forney, Tx
Originally Posted By: Big Fitz
Originally Posted By: Brother in-law

I have to agree with BIL (threw up in my mouth just a little typing that). I listen to multiple sources and start forming opinions on people's credibility. Read reviews and form opinions there. Then, through process of elimination, I will make my decision.

Did I mention agreeing with BIL made me a bit ill? barf rofl

I know what you mean rofl

Originally Posted By: pegasaurus
Enjoy it while you can. One day you might be complaining about NOT getting random pop-ups in the morning. grin

#6302869 - 05/18/16 02:33 PM Re: Who do you believe? [Re: booradley]
Deerhunter61 Offline
THF Trophy Hunter

Loc: DFW
I use a combination of the above but I do not buy a scope until I look thru it. I just bought an inexpensive Simmons for a 22 but had to look thru it before I made the purchase.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© 2004-2016 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide