Print Thread
AR safety question #6290102 05/07/16 01:03 AM
S
soje Offline OP
Tracker
OP Offline
Tracker
S
On a properly functioning AR. Gun is charged and safety is set to safe. If I pull the trigger, then switch the safety to fire, should the hammer drop?

Thanks

Re: AR safety question [Re: soje] #6290137 05/07/16 01:22 AM
D
DStroud Online Content
Extreme Tracker
Online Content
Extreme Tracker
D
No it shouldn't that only happens on Rem 700's bolt

"Anyone taking up handloading necessarily plays with unknown factors and takes chances. But so does anyone who drives a car,goes to a cocktail party,eats in a restaurant,or gets married."

Jack O'Connor 1963
Re: AR safety question [Re: soje] #6290206 05/07/16 02:36 AM
B
Bradgrace Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
B
I would replace the trigger group. Has it always been like that or just started doing it?

Re: AR safety question [Re: soje] #6290224 05/07/16 03:01 AM
B
Big Fitz Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
B
Absolutely not. Have you made any mods? Stock trigger or aftermarket? How much trigger movement are you getting when placed on safe and then pulling the trigger?

Originally Posted by onlysmith&wesson
I was wrong...on anything technical.

Originally Posted by Sailor
Fitz............. is right, ya know............
Re: AR safety question [Re: soje] #6290236 05/07/16 03:16 AM
BassCat'99 Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
take it to a gunsmith and have it checked. not safe!

22 Creedmoor
Re: AR safety question [Re: soje] #6290316 05/07/16 10:02 AM
S
soje Offline OP
Tracker
OP Offline
Tracker
S
Zero trigger movement, when it's set to safety. While charged, I can move it from safe, to fire all day, and the hammer won't drop. It's only when I charge it, set it to safe, pull the trigger, then switch to fire while maintaining pressure on the trigger, that the hammer drops.

It's a billet lower, I'm building. I installed the Battle Arms safety, and then installed a Geissele SD-C trigger. With the price of these parts, I sure hope I just did something wrong. There aren't too many parts to fail here. I built this rifle a few years ago, and then took it down. I'm just rebuilding it. I'm obviously new to ARs, but I feel confident I can fix a problem, as long as there are instructions available. The safety issue sure didn't seem right. Thank you for the responses. Anyone know where I might have gone wrong here?

Maybe the grip screw pushing up on the underside of the trigger?

Just for clarity. This weapon is nowhere near any ammo or magazines. I wouldn't consider feeding this thing, until it's completely squared away.

Last edited by soje; 05/07/16 10:51 AM.
Re: AR safety question [Re: soje] #6290343 05/07/16 12:00 PM
B
Big Fitz Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
B
Grip screw should be no where near long enough to push the underside of the trigger unless you installed an allen screw for that purpose or you have an adjustable screw made for such adjustment (not stock). This is a trick to use on stock triggers to reduce take up and should not be needed with a Geissle. The SD-C is non adjustable. It is a 2 stage so wondering if the safety is allowing the trigger to move through the 1st stage?

Suggest taking the upper off and cycling the trigger with safety on and off and watch closely the 2 stage interaction. DON'T let the hammer fall on the lower or you may crack it. Use your thumb or towel to control the hammer drop.

Also look at how much gap exists between safety and trigger when on safe, should be VERY little.

Do you have another safety you can try? Very interested in what you find, please keep us posted.

Originally Posted by onlysmith&wesson
I was wrong...on anything technical.

Originally Posted by Sailor
Fitz............. is right, ya know............
Re: AR safety question [Re: Big Fitz] #6290358 05/07/16 12:29 PM
S
soje Offline OP
Tracker
OP Offline
Tracker
S
Originally Posted By: Big Fitz
Grip screw should be no where near long enough to push the underside of the trigger unless you installed an allen screw for that purpose or you have an adjustable screw made for such adjustment (not stock). This is a trick to use on stock triggers to reduce take up and should not be needed with a Geissle. The SD-C is non adjustable. It is a 2 stage so wondering if the safety is allowing the trigger to move through the 1st stage?

Suggest taking the upper off and cycling the trigger with safety on and off and watch closely the 2 stage interaction. DON'T let the hammer fall on the lower or you may crack it. Use your thumb or towel to control the hammer drop.

Also look at how much gap exists between safety and trigger when on safe, should be VERY little.

Do you have another safety you can try? Very interested in what you find, please keep us posted.

I think you just answered my question. After posting this earlier, I went and unscrewed the grip, and then screwed it back in. I could see the trigger lifting up, when I turned the last couple threads. I'm using a hex head, and now realize that it is longer than the standard grip screw. I didn't know these hex haeds were made for the purpose of adjusting the trigger position. I'm gonna change the grip screw out here in a while. I feel like a dummy. I normally do obsessive research, before starting a new task. I'm not even sure where I got this hex head screw. Probably found it at the gun shop I used to work at. I appreciate all y'alls advice.

Re: AR safety question [Re: soje] #6290417 05/07/16 01:54 PM
S
soje Offline OP
Tracker
OP Offline
Tracker
S
taz Not the grip screw. I'm gonna take it apart a few times, before I post again.

Re: AR safety question [Re: soje] #6290428 05/07/16 02:14 PM
T
Tim9880 Offline
Tracker
Tracker
T
If I am reading your post correctly, you are pulling the trigger, and letting off safety while holding back trigger and it goes click. That is normal. You are pulling the trigger, it SHOULD go click. Now if you pull, then release, then switch off safety, then a click it is bad.

Re: AR safety question [Re: soje] #6290580 05/07/16 05:08 PM
S
Slow Drifter Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
S
Google m16 Function check. The first half of the check works the same on civilian AR-15's. The second half is only for full or selective fire weapons. Weapon on safe, pull and release charging handle, pull trigger, hammer should NOT fall. Place selector switch to fire, pull trigger and hold to the rear, hammer shoud fall. Holding the trigger to the rear, work the charging handle again. Slowly release trigger, you'll hear a metallic "thunk" noise, but the hammer should not fall. Pull the trigger, hammer should fall.

edited for fat-fingered typing!

Last edited by Slow Drifter; 05/07/16 05:19 PM.

"I have no idea what WW-III will be fought with, but WW-IV will be fought with sticks and stones."

A. Einstein

Re: AR safety question [Re: Tim9880] #6290607 05/07/16 05:36 PM
B
bo3 Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
B
Originally Posted By: Tim9880
If I am reading your post correctly, you are pulling the trigger, and letting off safety while holding back trigger and it goes click. That is normal. You are pulling the trigger, it SHOULD go click. Now if you pull, then release, then switch off safety, then a click it is bad.

This is exactly what I was thinking. I can't think of a firearm that will not do this.

Re: AR safety question [Re: soje] #6290906 05/07/16 11:41 PM
T
Toxarch Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
T
Originally Posted By: soje
On a properly functioning AR. Gun is charged and safety is set to safe. If I pull the trigger, then switch the safety to fire, should the hammer drop?

Thanks

Yes, that is perfectly normal for all ARs.

It is far more important to be able to hit the target than it is to haggle over who makes a weapon or who pulls a trigger.

� Dwight D. Eisenhower
Re: AR safety question [Re: soje] #6291150 05/08/16 10:43 AM
S
soje Offline OP
Tracker
OP Offline
Tracker
S
Ya'll will have to pardon my failure to communicate clearly. Right now, I have the lower on its own. [censored] the hammer, switch to safe, put rearward tension on trigger,, while maintaining rearward tension on the trigger, switch to fire. The hammer falls, when it clicks to fire.

I'm surprised at how little I've experimented with this on other guns that have safeties. I'm thinking it's supposed to fire, though it's not a safe or common action. I'm going to try Snow Drifter's checks.

Thank you all.

Last edited by soje; 05/08/16 10:51 AM.
Re: AR safety question [Re: soje] #6291208 05/08/16 01:06 PM
MDMORROW Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
If you're pulling on the trigger and take it off safety while continuing to pull the trigger then it will fire. Honestly you shouldn't have your finger on the trigger until safety is off and ready to shoot. If that's how I'm understanding your issue.

[Linked Image]
Re: AR safety question [Re: MDMORROW] #6291304 05/08/16 02:55 PM
S
soje Offline OP
Tracker
OP Offline
Tracker
S
Originally Posted By: MDMORROW
If you're pulling on the trigger and take it off safety while continuing to pull the trigger then it will fire. Honestly you shouldn't have your finger on the trigger until safety is off and ready to shoot. If that's how I'm understanding your issue.

Yes, that's what I was doing. I would never need to do this in life. I'm in the process of building this gun. I don't even have the upper on right now. I kind of did it accidentally, when checking the safety and trigger function. I don't practice the actual procedure I'm referring to. I guess it stumped me, because I've never really thought about this specific set of actions. I was overthinking it. Anyway, I'm a little embarrassed, but glad I asked.

Re: AR safety question [Re: soje] #6291904 05/09/16 03:11 AM
T
Toxarch Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
T
Better that you asked rather than keep trying to fix something that works as it should.
Also, with the upper off, do not let the hammer slam forward. You will crack the lower where the hammer hits. You can put your thumb on the hammer and let it go forward slowly.

It is far more important to be able to hit the target than it is to haggle over who makes a weapon or who pulls a trigger.

� Dwight D. Eisenhower
Re: AR safety question [Re: soje] #6291914 05/09/16 03:31 AM
S
SapperTitan Offline
Taking Requests
Taking Requests
S
Function check

Clear weapon
Ensure weapon is on safe
Charge weapon
Attempt to pull trigger, trigger shouldn't fire
Place weapon on fire
Pull trigger and hold, weapon should fire
Charge weapon while holding trigger in fire position
Slowly release trigger, you should hear a click
Place weapon back on safe.

Follow these steps and if things go as I stated you are good to go.

Re: AR safety question [Re: SapperTitan] #6303352 05/19/16 02:33 AM
S
soje Offline OP
Tracker
OP Offline
Tracker
S
This appears to be working as it should.

Clear weapon
Ensure weapon is on safe
Charge weapon
Place weapon on fire
Slowly release trigger, you should hear a click - This is the reset, correct? I don't know what sear/s is/are actually doing but i know it is setting the trigger to safe.
Place weapon back on safe. After I hear/feel the trigger reset, and switch rifle to safe, I cannot pull trigger back any further, or break the trigger, allowing the hammer to fall. This seems correct to me as well

I think my original concern and confusion was because of ignorance, and lack of experience with ARs. Now I'm wondering if most, or all guns that have safeties do this. If a gun is cocked and on safe, and you pull on the trigger, while switching to fire, that trigger SHOULD break, and the hammer SDHOULD fall. Maybe there are some guns out there (probably European ones) that have some sort of extra safety, that prohibits this from happening.

Again, I'm doing all this in a room with no magazines or ammo. M0st, if not all of these kinds of checks should be done long before even considering loading a gun. I can't think of any scenario, where you would need to pull the trigger, while switching from safe to fire. I'm sure someone, somewhere has felt the need to use that tactic.

Thank you all for your help.

Originally Posted By: SapperTitan
Function check

Clear weapon
Ensure weapon is on safe
Charge weapon
Place weapon on fire
Slowly release trigger, you should hear a click
Place weapon back on safe.

Follow these steps and if things go as I stated you are good to go.

[u][/u]

Re: AR safety question [Re: soje] #6303379 05/19/16 02:55 AM
dogdown23 Offline
Tracker
Tracker
Smh

Dogdown

The only thing that'll stop a bad man with a gun, is a good man with a gun.
Re: AR safety question [Re: soje] #6303381 05/19/16 02:58 AM
dogdown23 Offline
Tracker
Tracker
Zero trigger movement, when it's set to safety. While charged, I can move it from safe, to fire all day, and the hammer won't drop. It's only when I charge it, set it to safe, pull the trigger, then switch to fire while maintaining pressure on the trigger, that the hammer drops.

It's a billet lower, I'm building. I installed the Battle Arms safety, and then installed a Geissele SD-C trigger. With the price of these parts, I sure hope I just did something wrong. There aren't too many parts to fail here. I built this rifle a few years ago, and then took it down. I'm just rebuilding it. I'm obviously new to ARs, but I feel confident I can fix a problem, as long as there are instructions available. The safety issue sure didn't seem right. Thank you for the responses. Anyone know where I might have gone wrong here?

Just for clarity. This weapon is nowhere near any ammo or magazines. I wouldn't consider feeding this thing, until it's completely squared away.

"Switch to fire while maintaining pressure in the trigger"
What do you expect would happen??

Dogdown

Re: AR safety question [Re: dogdown23] #6304589 05/20/16 12:44 AM
S
soje Offline OP
Tracker
OP Offline
Tracker
S
Why even post, if you're just gonna be condescending and snide? I think most of us come to this forum is to share knowledge, ask questions, and share experiences.

Originally Posted By: dogdown23

"Switch to fire while maintaining pressure in the trigger"
What do you expect would happen??

Re: AR safety question [Re: soje] #6304601 05/20/16 12:55 AM
dogdown23 Offline
Tracker
Tracker
Why post? Because I can. That reason enough for you? If you don't know a gun will fire while "switching to fire while maintaining pressure on the trigger" you sir have no business messing with a firearm.

Last edited by dogdown23; 05/20/16 12:57 AM.

Dogdown

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide