Let's Talk About Something Fun.... #6286431 05/04/16 01:57 PM
R
RossCravens Offline OP
Bird Dog
OP Offline
Bird Dog
R
Howdy THF,

I have been pretty scarce for quite awhile (because I haven't had an office job so I haven't been in front of the computer much). I am back to a desk for 40 a week so I will be a little more active on the forum now.

Any who, let's talk about something fun today...not food plots and protein questions or what the deer are like in a certain location.

Let's hear your funniest story that happened in the field on a hunt! Anything goes here! A buddy fall asleep in the blind and a monster came through only to be seen on the game camera after the hunt? Or someone shooting at a heard of pigs in a field over the bedrail of their new pickup and shoot a handful of holes in the other side of the bed (I actually read that story somewhere on this site I believe).

I know some of you old timers out there have been hunting since you had to walk up hill to school in the snow both ways and have to have some great stories...so share them!

We have 185 more days until rifle season opens rifle deer2 ...so lets reminisce a bit before we get serious about next season!

Cheers! cheers

Gig 'Em

Ross Cravens
Class of '10

"From the outside looking in, you can't understand it. And from the inside looking out, you can't explain it."
Re: Let's Talk About Something Fun.... [Re: RossCravens] #6286613 05/04/16 03:40 PM
N
Nogalus Prairie Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
N
A friend of my Dad's pooped in his coveralls one frosty morning - and then proceeded to flip the turds on top of his head when he was done.

It's been 40+ years and I still haven't been able to top that one around the campfire. grin

Originally Posted by Russ79
I learned long ago you can't reason someone out of something they don't reason themselves into.

Re: Let's Talk About Something Fun.... [Re: RossCravens] #6286637 05/04/16 03:56 PM
R
RossCravens Offline OP
Bird Dog
OP Offline
Bird Dog
R
roflmao

I just had coffee come out of my nose hahaha

Gig 'Em

Ross Cravens
Class of '10

"From the outside looking in, you can't understand it. And from the inside looking out, you can't explain it."
Re: Let's Talk About Something Fun.... [Re: RossCravens] #6286663 05/04/16 04:18 PM
C
CRAnderson52 Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
C
A few years ago we were invited by some friends to come kills some pigs in Palestine, so myself, my dad, my brother and my nephew loaded up and hit the road. We got there early Friday and hunted all day killing a few, and a few more on Saturday. Saturday night rolls around and it was downright cold. We had a fire going getting ready to eat and my nephew (about 10 a the time) looks at me and says "Uncle Cam, I gotta poop baaaaaaad". I proceeded to hand him a bucket, roll of TP and a grocery bag and pointed him to the other side of my truck about 25 yards away. As soon as I said it his eyes tripled in size thinking he had to go all the way over there in the dark, at that very moment it was on. He took off walking and we were on his tail. He sits the bucket down, gets his bag placed and drops his drawers. This whole time by brother and I were getting in place, I was loading a few rounds into my .357 and my brother was crawling under the truck with a big stick. About the time his butt met he bucket my brother went to screaming and poking and I went to shooting, that boy took off in a flash, full moon just a shining and screaming like a little girl. I've never laughed so hard in my life, he Wasn't so amused. Who knew you could run so fast with your coveralls around your knees?!

You can run but you can't hide...
Re: Let's Talk About Something Fun.... [Re: RossCravens] #6286747 05/04/16 05:07 PM
P
PMK Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
P
oh my, this could have multiple inputs with over 50 years of hunting.

first one: early 70s, I was in my mid teens hunting with my dad and a group he had been with for over 30 years but we had a new guy join our group. He was a Vietnam vet but brand new to hunting. Ernie. Since he was the new guy and new to hunting, everyone got a kick out of pulling pranks on him (and it was easy). My dad was allergic to the hair or dander on deer, so I have my fair share of gutting & skinning experience at a very young age. My dad shot a doe one morning, so he merely waited on someone to show up to help with cleaning it. I had dropped Ernie off at a stand and went to the back of the pasture. Upon the end of our hunt, I picked up Ernie and went to get dad. Of course I see dad has one on the ground, so I grab my knife and head to gut with Ernie right on my heals. I get started but Ernie is eager to help (and watch) but its really a one man operation. He was in all sorts of being in the way the entire time "trying" to help. I get up to the breast bone and Ernie is straddle of the deers head, holding the front legs apart. I look him in the eye and said "um, you might want to move cause if my knife slips or rips thru the breast bone it will gut you too" ... he said "no, I am good, go ahead". I glance at my dad, who is standing there grinning from ear to ear knowing what I am fixing to do. I get my 7" old timer fixed blade lodged in the base of the breast bone, and "act" like I going to rip thru the entire thing in one motion, but let my hands slip off the handle and hit Ernie with both hands right in the middle of his guts pretty hard. He squealed like a little girl and almost did a back flip thinking I had just gutted him as well as the deer. After a few seconds when he realized he was okay, he got mad and started cussing me. My dad said 'hey, he warned you that you were in a very dangerous location!" needless to say, he never offered to help me gut another deer.

"everyone that lives dies but not everyone who dies lived..."

~PMK~
Re: Let's Talk About Something Fun.... [Re: RossCravens] #6286776 05/04/16 05:26 PM
P
PMK Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
P
another one on Ernie ... the last year we were on that lease, Ernie still hadn't killed a deer (3 years he had been with us). All the other hunters had filled their tags every year, but poor Ernie nothing. We couldn't figure it out for a while, but finally realized he was getting buck fever to a point he couldn't hit the broad side of a barn when poised with an opportunity. We took him down into a creek bed, and got him to shooting over and over to get some practice and get comfortable with his gun and being much quicker with shot placement. After a few boxes of shells, he was shooting like a pro, quick too. That afternoon my dad and I had to leave for some other activity but Ernie and a couple of the other hunters were taking the afternoon to hunt since it was close to the end of season. Late that night, my dad got a phone call from another hunter, Bill, (my dad and him were kinda lease bosses) about Ernie finally killed something. Dad said great, what did he get? Bill said well, he killed a doe ... but it wasn't a deer, it was a barbado doe. Bill went on to say he chewed Ernie out up one side and down the other and then proceeded to take Ernie to the landowners house to explain, apologize and offer to pay for the barbado. The landowner charged him $500 (which was more than one hunter's lease fee) and proceeded to tell Bill and Ernie he would not be renewing the lease with the group IF Ernie was still a part of the group. A week later, my dad and Bill went back to talk to the landowner apologizing and telling him Ernie wouldn't be in our group any longer. The landowner was still fuming mad and said after further thinking about it, none of the group was welcome back.

~PMK~
Re: Let's Talk About Something Fun.... [Re: RossCravens] #6286832 05/04/16 06:15 PM
S
Stratgolfer Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
S
I have a buddy at the lease who has a mouse problem in his blind every year. No matter what he does he's always got mice. He's gotten so he is real careful before he gets in to look around. Last season, I had a mannequin head that I painted black and attached to the inside wall of his blind. You could hear him scream at 1000 yards.

"I was called by the Yorkers a outlaw, and later by the english a rebel" Ethan Allen
Re: Let's Talk About Something Fun.... [Re: RossCravens] #6286935 05/04/16 07:51 PM
R
RossCravens Offline OP
Bird Dog
OP Offline
Bird Dog
R
CRAnderson52: That kid probably still has issues every time he sits on a pot!

PMK: It sounds like you got ol Ernie pretty good, sucks he got y'all booted off of your lease tho!!!

Stratgolfer: I have an older brother that is going to end up with a black mannequin head in his blind now because of you hahahahaha

Gig 'Em

Ross Cravens
Class of '10

Re: Let's Talk About Something Fun.... [Re: RossCravens] #6286968 05/04/16 08:23 PM
K
krmitchell Online Content
Extreme Tracker
Online Content
Extreme Tracker
K
Dad told both of these.....

Deer lease in South Texas, hunting in the winter. One of the hunters saw a hornets nest in the blind, hornets were dormant and couldn't move much less sting anyone. Guy got his gloves on, pulled out the hornets and removed the stingers. Then proceeded to warm up the hornets in his hand by blowing hot air until they were nice and pissed off (but couldn't hurt you). Guy that came to pick him up opened the door to the truck, and in went the hornets....Lucky that guy didn't break the opposite window trying to get out of the truck.

Same lease different day....Big old dog named "smiley". He was named this because when he was excited or happy to see someone, that dog showed his teeth like he was about to kill you. The prank on a first time hunter was to always tell them how nice smiley was but that if he showed teeth you better get in a tree cause that dog will kill you. Well, new guy goes to pet him and guess what happened, again lucky that guy didn't break down the door trying to get out of the camp house.

Last edited by rexmitchell; 05/04/16 08:23 PM.
Re: Let's Talk About Something Fun.... [Re: RossCravens] #6287094 05/04/16 09:49 PM
P
PMK Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
P
another one on Ernie ... we had a big pecan grove not too far from camp. One day we got back to camp from a morning hunt and could hear all sorts of commotion going on in the pecan bottom. We all took our rifles to go investigate. when we got there, old Ernie was about 20-25 feet high in a big old pecan tree acting like a dang monkey, shaking branches and then swinging to another to shake. We thought he had totally lost it. Then we realized he was merely shaking pecans out of the tree. When we got closer and he noticed us, he started making noises like a monkey while doing his thing up in the tree. We all got a good laugh out of it along with several 5 gallon buckets full of pecans.

~PMK~
Re: Let's Talk About Something Fun.... [Re: RossCravens] #6287123 05/04/16 10:08 PM
P
PMK Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
P
on another lease, we had a guy that was only there for a year. He was always getting pretty trashed at camp and hung over the next morning. One of the other hunters found a old badly worn shoulder mount good size buck from an estate sale he bought for a few dollars, he brought it out to the camp and carried it out into a cedar thicket close to this guys stand one night after the guy got trashed and passed out. We were sure to get him up and get him to his stand well before daylight, he had dozed off until it was clearly daylight. when he woke up and cleared his eyes, he sees this monster buck showing out of the cedar thicket, he started shooting. At every shot the rest of the hunters were cracking up laughing from their own stand. After he unloaded his gun with all the ammo he had with him, he finally got out of his stand to go investigate and realized what was going on.

~PMK~
Re: Let's Talk About Something Fun.... [Re: RossCravens] #6287606 05/05/16 03:35 AM
B
BigPig Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
B
Sitting in a ground box blind with a friend. I was running the camera and he had the gun. 2 does step out and he decided he needs meat, and I need practice with the camera. He shoots and they both hit the ground. I asked which one he shot and he says he thinks the left. They stay down about 5 minutes then both get up and run off. GW minutes later they both re appear and are making a b-line for the stand. I had the camera rolling as The one he shot slammed into the stand, dying at the base of the stand. The video is on YouTube somewhere

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide