Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Re: Chigger Repellent for Baby [Re: HVILLE HNTR] #6280412 04/29/16 06:53 PM
Creekrunner Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
You're the psychoanalyst I was referring to. Thanks for playing dunk.

...and have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over every living thing that moveth upon the earth. Gen. 1:28
Re: Chigger Repellent for Baby [Re: HVILLE HNTR] #6280421 04/29/16 07:00 PM
D
dune2218 Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
D
mattygo --------- you get the prize for stirring things up !!!!!!!!lol !!!!! NOBODY is so stupid to take a newborn baby in such dangerous situations------- they 'bought' it !!! blue ribbon for you !!!!!!!!!!

Re: Chigger Repellent for Baby [Re: HVILLE HNTR] #6280434 04/29/16 07:12 PM
BigRon Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
We use cedar-cide in a spray bottle. I think they have changed the name, but you can still google cedar-cide. It all natural and works sprayed on clothing, boots,socks,etc. If your wearing shorts is the only time I put it directly on our skin, but it has not irritated anyone in the family.

Works great as long as you apply it again every few hours. Get out and enjoy the outdoors with that young-un, we all lived through it just fine.

God is so good to me.
Re: Chigger Repellent for Baby [Re: Creekrunner] #6280653 04/29/16 10:35 PM
D
don k Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
D
Originally Posted By: Creekrunner
You're the psychoanalyst I was referring to. Thanks for playing dunk.
First off thanks for me not being the idiot you were talking about. As for the other word that I seem to be I have no idea what it means. I guess it could be either good or bad. The Gentleman was asking about chigger medicine for a 10 month old child. I still after being scolded by you think that may be a tad to young to be crawling around in the weeds. If he is staying in the truck there is no reason to be dousing him down with insecticides to keep of parasites. I f he is going to be crawling around on the ground then why not smear axle grease over his entire body to keep off the chiggers, ants, scorpions, spiders, and ticks he may come across. I have not included snakes as there is nothing that will prevent that. Being a "Parent" one of the most important duties is protecting the young. You see it in all animals. Maybe his wife is the smartest one. I really don't care what anyone thinks of my opinions. That is one of the good things about getting old. You could give a Rats A** what anyone thinks.

Re: Chigger Repellent for Baby [Re: don k] #6280681 04/29/16 11:03 PM
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted By: don k
That is one of the good things about getting old. You could give a Rats A** what anyone thinks.

'Couldn't agree more. The young man came on here for an insect repellant recommendation. I don't think you should tell him how to raise his child or tell him he's a crappy parent.

So I voice my opinion as plainly and boldly as you (and a couple of others) do - "If you can't stand the heat..."

...and have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over every living thing that moveth upon the earth. Gen. 1:28
Re: Chigger Repellent for Baby [Re: don k] #6280691 04/29/16 11:13 PM
P
passthru Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
P
Originally Posted By: don k
I really don't care what anyone thinks of my opinions. That is one of the good things about getting old. You could give a Rats A** what anyone thinks.

Yeah. No, I've pretty much always been that way. wink

I work hard, drink a little and hunt when I can.
NRA Life Member
https://sofalasafaris.com/
Re: Chigger Repellent for Baby [Re: Creekrunner] #6281001 04/30/16 03:33 AM
T
therancher Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
T
Originally Posted By: therancher
It's about family, you idiots.

It's also about caring about your son enough to make good decisions on his 10 month old behalf. I wouldn't wish a mess of chiggers on any baby.

The facts are: he's only 10 months old. Chiggers are everywhere. He will get them if he goes outside at the lease right now. And he won't get them if you wait until chiggers run their course.

A couple of months isn't long to wait if you want to spare your son some misery.

Of course, you can always say "it's by gawd about family" drag him out there and get him covered with chiggers now, and he'll have no clue it even happened a couple of months down the road after the bites heal.

Yeah, that sounds brilliant. trout

Ok, I'll play. Since you got on here today with your crotchety hat on. The man posted on here for a chigger repellant recommendation. Apparently, a couple of members on here thought he asked for psychoanalysis. This is what I reacted to. The man is the kid's father, for Pete's sake. If he wants to take his son to the deer lease, that's his own @!#&*! business. But hey, you're always the smartest one in any room.

I know what he asked for. My point is that at 10 months a child's skin is really sensitive. Doping him up with cedarcide, off, etc is an un- necessary crap shoot. We are only a month or so away from chiggers being a non issue.

IMO it's a much wiser option to wait a couple of months so the risk of a bunch of bites or reaction to harsh skin irritants is irrelevant.

The idea that "it's family" means you have to make foolish decisions, is silly.

And it's not my fault that I'm always right. It's a genetic flaw.

Crotchety old bastidge
Re: Chigger Repellent for Baby [Re: HVILLE HNTR] #6282252 05/01/16 04:57 PM
D
dune2218 Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
D
Creekrunner,,,, by your reasoning, if the young, dumbass ( but well intentioned) father wants to give the kid crack cocaine , that is good with you,,, because he is the father and he should raise his child as he sees fit??? Putting chemicals on a young baby is not a good idea,,, putting a baby crawling on the ground in chiggers is not a good idea--------- please tell us what part you think WAS a good idea ??

Re: Chigger Repellent for Baby [Re: HVILLE HNTR] #6282597 05/01/16 10:52 PM
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Punctuation is our friend. But you're a little too friendly with it. And it's not liking you back. Let's try grammar instead.

Re: Chigger Repellent for Baby [Re: HVILLE HNTR] #6282965 05/02/16 02:36 AM
D
dune2218 Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
D
lol -- dont answer,,, good dodge !!!!

Re: Chigger Repellent for Baby [Re: dune2218] #6283406 05/02/16 03:25 PM
M
mattyg06 Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
M
Originally Posted By: dune2218
mattygo --------- you get the prize for stirring things up !!!!!!!!lol !!!!! NOBODY is so stupid to take a newborn baby in such dangerous situations------- they 'bought' it !!! blue ribbon for you !!!!!!!!!!

I guess I didn't realize nature was such a walking death trap compared to relative safety of the city limits.

Re: Chigger Repellent for Baby [Re: HVILLE HNTR] #6283444 05/02/16 03:44 PM
N
Nogalus Prairie Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
N
I'll suggest a compromise: take him but don't let him crawl through the grass and get chiggers.

Originally Posted by Russ79
I learned long ago you can't reason someone out of something they don't reason themselves into.

Re: Chigger Repellent for Baby [Re: HVILLE HNTR] #6284500 05/03/16 04:24 AM
D
dune2218 Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
D
mattygo -------- make a list of good things about taking a baby on the water, in the back of a jeep, like the pics you posted. etc. ------- now make a list of what can possibly go wrong. One list is empty, the other is rather long. Go hang out at the local emergency room for a few hours if you think things cant go wrong. Think about it.

Re: Chigger Repellent for Baby [Re: Creekrunner] #6284508 05/03/16 05:01 AM
B
BOONER Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
B
Originally Posted By: therancher
It's about family, you idiots.

It's also about caring about your son enough to make good decisions on his 10 month old behalf. I wouldn't wish a mess of chiggers on any baby.

The facts are: he's only 10 months old. Chiggers are everywhere. He will get them if he goes outside at the lease right now. And he won't get them if you wait until chiggers run their course.

A couple of months isn't long to wait if you want to spare your son some misery.

Of course, you can always say "it's by gawd about family" drag him out there and get him covered with chiggers now, and he'll have no clue it even happened a couple of months down the road after the bites heal.

Yeah, that sounds brilliant. trout

Ok, I'll play. Since you got on here today with your crotchety hat on. The man posted on here for a chigger repellant recommendation. Apparently, a couple of members on here thought he asked for psychoanalysis. This is what I reacted to. The man is the kid's father, for Pete's sake. If he wants to take his son to the deer lease, that's his own @!#&*! business. But hey, you're always the smartest one in any room.

I agree with the Rancher! There I said it and I didn't even feel ill about it.

Re: Chigger Repellent for Baby [Re: dune2218] #6284764 05/03/16 02:22 PM
M
mattyg06 Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
M
Originally Posted By: dune2218
mattygo -------- make a list of good things about taking a baby on the water, in the back of a jeep, like the pics you posted. etc. ------- now make a list of what can possibly go wrong. One list is empty, the other is rather long. Go hang out at the local emergency room for a few hours if you think things cant go wrong. Think about it.

Dune, the most dangerous part of taking kids out to the country is driving out to the country. Accidental injuries are the number one cause of death with a large number of those attributed to auto accidents. But once you get to the country infants have a lower hospitalization rate than their city counter parts. This is partly due the fact that there are more sources of viruses that affect people where there are lots of people. Also there tend to be more anti-vaxxers in urban areas vs rural populations. There is higher incidence of asthma and breathing problems in urban kids vs rural kids. Don't forget the bug distribution is different in urban areas with humans are the preferred hosts vs rural areas where livestock tend to be the preferred host. Remember there are also creepy-crawlies in the cities as well. We have had mosquitos, wasps, ants in our back yard. Our neighbor has killed a Copperhead, have spotted coyotes on our street... all in the middle of the city. I will take my chances any day in the country vs the city.

But if you can show me how infants are more at risk for life threatening problems by being out in nature vs the city I would be very interested in reading it.

Mosquito distribution

Rural vs urban hospitalization

City anti-vaxxers

Urban vs rural saftey

Re: Chigger Repellent for Baby [Re: HVILLE HNTR] #6284775 05/03/16 02:28 PM
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
troll

Any internet forum:

Member A posts: “How do you go about doing x?”
Member B posts: “This is how I do x.”
Member C posts: “This is how I do x.”
Member D posts: “How could you possibly consider doing x. I only do y.”
Member B (or C) posts: “He asked how to do x.”
Member D posts: “You should be committed/arrested/castrated and die.”

Re: Chigger Repellent for Baby [Re: HVILLE HNTR] #6284900 05/03/16 03:49 PM
D
dune2218 Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
D
Mattygo ------ jeep hits a pot hole and throws people forward, crushing your baby --- jeep has flat tire as it hits the pot hole ( called Murphy's law) and turns over --jeep runs into ditch that you didnt see,,, etc etc etc------- wife is on dock and trips , either falls on the kid, or both go into the water,,, in a boat ---- the possibilities are endless ------ get the picture?? I take chances,, lots of them,,, but there is always a reward for the chances I take ------ there is no reward for a baby, so why take a chance? Again, go to the emergency room and ask people if they thought " that could never happen to me" ---- see how many thought that.

Re: Chigger Repellent for Baby [Re: HVILLE HNTR] #6284954 05/03/16 04:24 PM
T
Tim9880 Offline
Tracker
Tracker
T
How do they raise children in the country? I cant imagine many of them live thru the dangers.

Re: Chigger Repellent for Baby [Re: HVILLE HNTR] #6284971 05/03/16 04:33 PM
M
mattyg06 Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
M
Dune, Ok... got you completely and agree with you. But I thought you were referring to things that just occur in a rural environment not that occur in both. Yes, the jeep can be dangerous which is why we only drive about 10 mph in it on a property that I know like the back of my hand. We don't have to worry about pot holes since we keep the roads clear ourselves. But yes in the city when you can't fix roads yourself you should be careful about hitting pot holes. My friend blew out his tire driving down the highway due to shitty city maintenance. It's also the reason you don't see my wife driving... I think I mitigated much risk by just doing that alone. I am more worried about auto accidents when my wife drives the kid to the doctor. Agree completely about the dock... we just happen to have a dock behind our house in the city as well. It's a good think we don't let the baby walk around those areas alone... my sister in law has a pool in the city so we are aware of the risk in such locations as well... that wet concrete sure is dangerous. But if you take your kid for toddler swimming lessons you can also reduce your risk of possible drownings. Boats yes agree very dangerous which is why we don't open her up on full throttle... that little 50 ft-lb thrust really don't get going too fast where I feel out of control. The good think about this little lake though is we only have one other floating deck barge that only has a 40 ft-lb motor so we are pretty safe from being hit by any other boaters. I do get worried about the big boat on Eagle Mountain... there are lots of crazies who live in the city but don't know a thing about boater etiquette. Which is why I don't take the kid out too much in the city.

But yes I agree with you... minimize those risks it's the only safe thing to do. Now thinking about it I am glad you made realize all that I can't control in the city limits vs on our property. I am feeling much better about my choices now.

Re: Chigger Repellent for Baby [Re: Creekrunner] #6284998 05/03/16 04:49 PM
M
mattyg06 Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
M
troll

Any internet forum:

Member A posts: “How do you go about doing x?”
Member B posts: “This is how I do x.”
Member C posts: “This is how I do x.”
Member D posts: “How could you possibly consider doing x. I only do y.”
Member B (or C) posts: “He asked how to do x.”
Member D posts: “You should be committed/arrested/castrated and die.”

Thanks for the warning but I think I am ok on this one since I am replying from inside the city limits. I heard those city internet trolls aren't nearly as dangerous as those you find out in rural areas.

Last edited by mattyg06; 05/03/16 04:59 PM.
Re: Chigger Repellent for Baby [Re: HVILLE HNTR] #6285363 05/03/16 09:10 PM
D
decook Online Content
Extreme Tracker
Online Content
Extreme Tracker
D
mattyg06 after all this information you got, call your pediatrician and speak to the duty nurse. They know your baby.

Press [Linked Image] for an AMERICAN.
Re: Chigger Repellent for Baby [Re: HVILLE HNTR] #6285437 05/03/16 10:06 PM
M
mattyg06 Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
M
Decook, we did ask them what precautions they had for Lilly. You may or may not be surprised to find out they were more concerned with going to the grocery store vs out to the family property. The didn't want us to take the baby in public till she was 8 weeks old and had the 2nd set of vaccinations. They said we needed to be careful around people especially if we didn't know they had the Whooping Cough vaccine like all other members of my family who visit our property with us. You don't want random people touching your baby so you stay away from population centers.

Was there anything else you think I needed to ask before going outside?

Re: Chigger Repellent for Baby [Re: HVILLE HNTR] #6285443 05/03/16 10:12 PM
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
matty - 'Something I've forgotten to mention...You have a beautiful family. Keep doin' what you're doin', and ignore the IDIOTS that try to tell you otherwise.

Re: Chigger Repellent for Baby [Re: mattyg06] #6285585 05/03/16 11:53 PM
D
decook Online Content
Extreme Tracker
Online Content
Extreme Tracker
D
Originally Posted By: mattyg06

Was there anything else you think I needed to ask before going outside?

Nope. You might have read more in my message than I meant. There was no judging in my earlier post.

Press [Linked Image] for an AMERICAN.
Re: Chigger Repellent for Baby [Re: HVILLE HNTR] #6290292 05/07/16 04:51 AM
T
Tactical Cowboy Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
T
Am I the only one that realizes humans have made it THOUSANDS of years (up till the last century or so) living more or less outside? Holy crap, you'd think they're going to pripyat by some of the responses.

The secret to a long life is to try not to shorten it.
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide