Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Plinker AR-15 comparisons #6283753 05/02/16 07:00 PM
Bbear Offline OP
Pro Tracker
OP Offline
Pro Tracker
Thinking of adding another AR to the fold. Looking at the DPMS Oracle and the Diamondback DB15. Anyone have a preference of the two?

Why one over the other?

[IMG][/IMG]

Pay it forward - Kids are the future.

Rifles are similar to boats and young women...there's no end to how much money you can pour into them without making them any more useful.
Re: Plinker AR-15 comparisons [Re: Bbear] #6283788 05/02/16 07:29 PM
T
Tactical Cowboy Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
T
The one you find cheapest. They're all about the same.

The secret to a long life is to try not to shorten it.
Re: Plinker AR-15 comparisons [Re: Bbear] #6283829 05/02/16 08:04 PM
Bbear Offline OP
Pro Tracker
OP Offline
Pro Tracker
That's what I was thinking. Thanks for that. I've got an H-bar 20" that I like to 'get serious' with. Just wanted something to help make empties!

[IMG][/IMG]

Rifles are similar to boats and young women...there's no end to how much money you can pour into them without making them any more useful.
Re: Plinker AR-15 comparisons [Re: Bbear] #6283861 05/02/16 08:23 PM
T
Tactical Cowboy Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
T
If the diamondback has a poly lower I would steer clear of it. Other than that, but the cheaper one and spend what you have left on a trigger and ammo haha.

Re: Plinker AR-15 comparisons [Re: Tactical Cowboy] #6284257 05/03/16 12:43 AM
L
Leaveammoforme Offline
Green Horn
Green Horn
L
Originally Posted By: Tactical Cowboy

Um...No.

While different brands may look similar, they're not all about the same.

If a person wants another AR solely for being able to say "I have X number of AR's" anything will probably work.

If a person wants to shoot 50 rounds a year , again, anything will probably work.

With quality AR's selling very inexpensively right now, it should be an easy choice.

Re: Plinker AR-15 comparisons [Re: Leaveammoforme] #6284282 05/03/16 01:04 AM
T
Tactical Cowboy Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
T
Originally Posted By: Leaveammoforme

Um...No.

While different brands may look similar, they're not all about the same.

If a person wants another AR solely for being able to say "I have X number of AR's" anything will probably work.

If a person wants to shoot 50 rounds a year , again, anything will probably work.

With quality AR's selling very inexpensively right now, it should be an easy choice.

Yes.

In the cheap-o AR field, they're all about the same. DPMS, S&W, Colt, Bushmaster.. pretty much the same product.

Is an Oracle comparable to a JP? Not even close.

I suggest you look into barrel and receiver alloys, and you'll see the materials used in the sub $800 AR's are the same.

Re: Plinker AR-15 comparisons [Re: Bbear] #6284305 05/03/16 01:24 AM
G
GLC Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
G
I have had a Oracle for a couple of years, no issues and shoots sub 1 MOA. Stay from Polymer lowers.

Re: Plinker AR-15 comparisons [Re: Bbear] #6284309 05/03/16 01:30 AM
Bbear Offline OP
Pro Tracker
OP Offline
Pro Tracker
and that choice is?

[IMG][/IMG]

Re: Plinker AR-15 comparisons [Re: Tactical Cowboy] #6284314 05/03/16 01:33 AM
L
Leaveammoforme Offline
Green Horn
Green Horn
L

Yes.

In the cheap-o AR field, they're all about the same. DPMS, S&W, Colt, Bushmaster.. pretty much the same product.

I suggest you look into barrel and receiver alloys, and you'll see the materials used in the sub $800 AR's are the same.

I'm not saying a person needs a Noveske or a Knights. I'm simply stating that money can be better spent even on the cheaper end of the spectrum.

Colt in the same paragraph as Bushmaster? Wow.

Here's a solid rifle that will hold resale value, had actual quality control inspections and is in your $800 range.

http://www.gandrtactical.com/cgi-bin/commerce.cgi?preadd=action&key=6720

Re: Plinker AR-15 comparisons [Re: Leaveammoforme] #6284379 05/03/16 02:25 AM
J
jeepercreeper Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
J

Yes.

I'm not saying a person needs a Noveske or a Knights. I'm simply stating that money can be better spent even on the cheaper end of the spectrum.

Colt in the same paragraph as Bushmaster? Wow.

Here's a solid rifle that will hold resale value, had actual quality control inspections and is in your $800 range.

http://www.gandrtactical.com/cgi-bin/commerce.cgi?preadd=action&key=6720

I think you're confusing what Colt used to be. They are sold in Walmart. At least they were a couple years ago. Best value would be S&W Sport in my book.

Re: Plinker AR-15 comparisons [Re: Leaveammoforme] #6284423 05/03/16 02:54 AM
T
Tactical Cowboy Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
T
And can you tell me why it is so much better than a $500 Oracle? Or is it only because the guy at the gun store told you so?

To the OP, just over five bills will get you a good rifle. http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/products_id/70770

Last edited by Tactical Cowboy; 05/03/16 02:55 AM.

Re: Plinker AR-15 comparisons [Re: Tactical Cowboy] #6284453 05/03/16 03:31 AM
L
Leaveammoforme Offline
Green Horn
Green Horn
L
And can you tell me why it is so much better than a $500 Oracle? Or is it only because the guy at the gun store told you so?

To the OP, just over five bills will get you a good rifle. http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/products_id/70770

Please do get the Oracle, then remember this thread when it chokes.

Funny that alloy specs were brought up then you linked a rifle with a 4140 barrel. No mention of what the bolt or carrier is made from. Wonder why that is? Buffer weight? We already know the gas port is on the large side just because it's a DPMS.

Material specs not being mentioned by DPMS is because they don't want to rat themselves out. They'd rather try to sell an AR by looks and cost.

I'll be the first to admit that most AR owners will never shoot out a DPMS. They'll rock a Tasco red dot with NC Star back up sights being content that they own an "AR".

It'll come out once a year to shoot on a static range. It'll be sub-moa with Wolf steel cased ammo by all accounts of people who were present. High fives all around.

I can see I won't be a good match for this forum.

If anyone is interested in learning how to spend their hard earned money in an efficient manner head over to M4carbine.net. You don't need to join to read stickies.

Re: Plinker AR-15 comparisons [Re: jeepercreeper] #6284466 05/03/16 03:38 AM
L
Leaveammoforme Offline
Green Horn
Green Horn
L
Originally Posted By: jeepercreeper

I think you're confusing what Colt used to be. They are sold in Walmart. At least they were a couple years ago. Best value would be S&W Sport in my book.

Walmart had legit 6920's for awhile at great prices. Colt does have some newer stuff that was farmed out like the 6900's.

Tough to go wrong with a 6720 or 6920.

I will agree that the S&W Sport is a decent rifle for the money.

Re: Plinker AR-15 comparisons [Re: Leaveammoforme] #6284471 05/03/16 03:43 AM
T
Tactical Cowboy Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
T

Please do get the Oracle, then remember this thread when it chokes.

Funny that alloy specs were brought up then you linked a rifle with a 4140 barrel. No mention of what the bolt or carrier is made from. Wonder why that is? Buffer weight? We already know the gas port is on the large side just because it's a DPMS.

Material specs not being mentioned by DPMS is because they don't want to rat themselves out. They'd rather try to sell an AR by looks and cost.

I'll be the first to admit that most AR owners will never shoot out a DPMS. They'll rock a Tasco red dot with NC Star back up sights being content that they own an "AR".

It'll come out once a year to shoot on a static range. It'll be sub-moa with Wolf steel cased ammo by all accounts of people who were present. High fives all around.

I can see I won't be a good match for this forum.

If anyone is interested in learning how to spend their hard earned money in an efficient manner head over to M4carbine.net. You don't need to join to read stickies.

The last time I checked, Colt was the one that did not have receiver or barrel materials posted on their website.

Also, I have put better than 10,000 rounds through my dpms upper, and have had no issues with it. Does it hold sub moa with wolf ammo? Hell no. Does it do so with my handloads? You betcha. That rifle and myself have won 3 gun matches against guns that cost easily twice as much.

Re: Plinker AR-15 comparisons [Re: Tactical Cowboy] #6284509 05/03/16 05:06 AM
L
Leaveammoforme Offline
Green Horn
Green Horn
L

The last time I checked, Colt was the one that did not have receiver or barrel materials posted on their website.

Also, I have put better than 10,000 rounds through my dpms upper, and have had no issues with it. Does it hold sub moa with wolf ammo? Hell no. Does it do so with my handloads? You betcha. That rifle and myself have won 3 gun matches against guns that cost easily twice as much.

The information is out there. Colt uses "Mil-Spec" in the correct sense. As in adheres to the TDP. Other manufacturers (not all) erroneously use the term. They may meet material requirements but they fail to meet the inspection/quality control requirements.

If you shoot 3 gun, you've seen guns have failures. More often than not it's repeat brands you've seen before. You also know 10k rounds isn't a big milestone.

I don't doubt that you out run rifles that are two times or even three times the cost. It's the guy pulling the trigger who wins, not the gear. But, your gear can stop you from winning.

I shoot with guys who pull first place finishes with DPMS's. I also shoot with guys who pull last place finishes because their DPMS wouldn't run.

You, as well as I, know a few hundred bucks between a gun that may or may not run versus one that will should be a no brainer.

The firearm itself is the cheapest and most critical part to shooting. Ammunition alone will easily be twenty times the cost over the lifetime of the firearm. Why not set the OP straight now when he's making the Step 1 decision?

Re: Plinker AR-15 comparisons [Re: Bbear] #6284593 05/03/16 12:28 PM
J
jeepercreeper Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
J
Leaveammoforme, you need to read the OPs subject and original post. He asked for opinion on a plinker and comparison between two different models. He didnt ask for the m4carbine.net rundown of tiers. You're on a hunting forum and you'll find that most guys here own ARs just for fun. When it comes to real world use and practicality, the AR is not the first tool in the toolbox that we grab. This is not m4carbine or arfcomm and you wont find many armchair operators and internet commandos that get caught up in tiers of AR quality.

Re: Plinker AR-15 comparisons [Re: jeepercreeper] #6284605 05/03/16 12:37 PM
T
Tactical Cowboy Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
T
Originally Posted By: jeepercreeper
Leaveammoforme, you need to read the OPs subject and original post. He asked for opinion on a plinker and comparison between two different models. He didnt ask for the m4carbine.net rundown of tiers. You're on a hunting forum and you'll find that most guys here own ARs just for fun. When it comes to real world use and practicality, the AR is not the first tool in the toolbox that we grab. This is not m4carbine or arfcomm and you wont find many armchair operators and internet commandos that get caught up in tiers of AR quality.

This may be the greatest post I've ever read on THF.

Re: Plinker AR-15 comparisons [Re: Bbear] #6285020 05/03/16 05:03 PM
L
Leaveammoforme Offline
Green Horn
Green Horn
L
It's not about tiers, it's about making an informed decision.

I hear the consensus here. Enjoy the plinkers.

Re: Plinker AR-15 comparisons [Re: Bbear] #6285183 05/03/16 06:51 PM
D
DeerSlayer31 Online Content
Extreme Tracker
Online Content
Extreme Tracker
D
I would vote PSA. I've had great luck with mine and can be had for less than $600.

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing" Edmund Burke

Re: Plinker AR-15 comparisons [Re: Bbear] #6285199 05/03/16 07:06 PM
T
Tactical Cowboy Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
T
^^ That's another good option. I think they have the rifle kits (includes everything but a lower) for $400.

Re: Plinker AR-15 comparisons [Re: Leaveammoforme] #6285241 05/03/16 07:32 PM
C
Choctaw Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
C
It's not about tiers, it's about making an informed decision.

I hear the consensus here. Enjoy the plinkers.

Ouchie, that hurt. Well, not really. lol

The dumb hogs I shoot don't seem to really care if I'm using my DPMS or my Colt. We're not trying to impress them though.

Re: Plinker AR-15 comparisons [Re: Bbear] #6285254 05/03/16 07:38 PM
T
Tactical Cowboy Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
T
But what happens when SHTF? Don't you want a top-tier-tier-one rifle while you defend your five gallons of dehydrated Beefaroni from the less prepared people that are armed with cheap-o rifles?

Re: Plinker AR-15 comparisons [Re: Bbear] #6285339 05/03/16 08:51 PM
T
Toxarch Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
T
But it's not "cool" to say you have a PSA rifle.

It is far more important to be able to hit the target than it is to haggle over who makes a weapon or who pulls a trigger.

� Dwight D. Eisenhower
Re: Plinker AR-15 comparisons [Re: DeerSlayer31] #6285417 05/03/16 09:55 PM
O
okstatefan Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
O
Originally Posted By: DeerSlayer31
I would vote PSA. I've had great luck with mine and can be had for less than $600.

Me and my sons have PSA rifles. Even they have different tiers of components. Their better barrels are CHF, Mag-particle and high pressure tested and produced by FN.

They also have "lower quality" uppers at a lower price point. We have one of the stainless barreled uppers and it has run fine in some pretty sloppy weather.

Re: Plinker AR-15 comparisons [Re: Tactical Cowboy] #6285701 05/04/16 12:45 AM
C
Choctaw Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
C
But what happens when SHTF? Don't you want a top-tier-tier-one rifle while you defend your five gallons of dehydrated Beefaroni from the less prepared people that are armed with cheap-o rifles?

No, I'll just use my .410. grin

Page 1 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide