Forums46
Topics537,970
Posts9,731,209
Members87,051
Most Online25,604
Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Re: Interesting article- sums up when you allow fair chase to be defined [Re: BOBO the Clown] #6288121 05/05/16 03:41 PM
S
SniperRAB Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
S
I wouldn't know anything Dennis....I wasn't born till 1969 and never hunted

Re: Interesting article- sums up when you allow fair chase to be defined [Re: Western] #6288158 05/05/16 04:09 PM
txshntr Offline
T-Rex Arms
T-Rex Arms
Originally Posted By: Western
Originally Posted By: BOBO the Clown
And it's tanking......I really don't want to have to lock my own thread

back offtopic

TREX will do it, he will do anything for a candy bar and a coke peep

Or we can try a diversionary tactic, When the tide goes out, where does all that water go? grin

He would have already done it. Should be able to have a discussion without the bs mixed in.

IMO, it is a very valid discussion and argument to have. Obviously, people will disagree and that is fine but it is to be discussed, not argued. Name calling and attacks aren't needed.

"Fair chase" is an arbitrary idea based on what you believe it is to be. As has been said, firearm versus bow, ML vs crossbow, guided versus public land, HF versus LF, dogs versus feeders, and every other method comes into play. Discounting them as "already established" or already "accepted" isn't a valid argument simply because each one has been outlawed, restricted, or confined in various regions.

To have a discussion on "fair chase", it first has to be defined. Who's definition do we use? Your beliefs or mine?

HF/LF always comes up and becomes a circular argument. if you were going to define it, would you define it as all HF ranches, those under 600 acres, those under 10k acres, those under 100k? Is a HF on 3 sides still considered fair chase? How high can the fence be? 6ft? 7ft?

There will never be a definition that will appease everyone. Some people hate doggers. Some ranchers don't allow bow hunting. Some people don't agree with feeders. There will always be a separation in beliefs. I believe what Bobo is trying to get at is that just because you disagree with something, is it worth the battle to fight it and risk other means and methods that you happen to agree with.

On the other side of the coin, where do you draw the line in the sand in regards to legally? Typically, laws are based on the norms of society within the region. Hence the reason you have states that don't allow feeders or baiting. At what point does this line of thought cross over into pushing your beliefs on someone else and violating property and personal rights?

[Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]
Re: Interesting article- sums up when you allow fair chase to be defined [Re: txshntr] #6288169 05/05/16 04:22 PM
N
Nogalus Prairie Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
N
Originally Posted By: txshntr

back offtopic

Or we can try a diversionary tactic, When the tide goes out, where does all that water go? grin

He would have already done it. Should be able to have a discussion without the bs mixed in.

IMO, it is a very valid discussion and argument to have. Obviously, people will disagree and that is fine but it is to be discussed, not argued. Name calling and attacks aren't needed.

"Fair chase" is an arbitrary idea based on what you believe it is to be. As has been said, firearm versus bow, ML vs crossbow, guided versus public land, HF versus LF, dogs versus feeders, and every other method comes into play. Discounting them as "already established" or already "accepted" isn't a valid argument simply because each one has been outlawed, restricted, or confined in various regions.

To have a discussion on "fair chase", it first has to be defined. Who's definition do we use? Your beliefs or mine?

HF/LF always comes up and becomes a circular argument. if you were going to define it, would you define it as all HF ranches, those under 600 acres, those under 10k acres, those under 100k? Is a HF on 3 sides still considered fair chase? How high can the fence be? 6ft? 7ft?

There will never be a definition that will appease everyone. Some people hate doggers. Some ranchers don't allow bow hunting. Some people don't agree with feeders. There will always be a separation in beliefs. I believe what Bobo is trying to get at is that just because you disagree with something, is it worth the battle to fight it and risk other means and methods that you happen to agree with.

On the other side of the coin, where do you draw the line in the sand in regards to legally? Typically, laws are based on the norms of society within the region. Hence the reason you have states that don't allow feeders or baiting. At what point does this line of thought cross over into pushing your beliefs on someone else and violating property and personal rights?

Good post thanks.

What got the thread going was the statement that "the term fair chase is complete and utter BS". A statement he has continued to stand by, your attempt to speak for him (or perhaps educate/save him) notwithstanding.

Debating the concept of fair chase is a healthy thing for all, but ignoring it/calling it BS is exactly the opposite.

Originally Posted by Russ79
I learned long ago you can't reason someone out of something they don't reason themselves into.

Re: Interesting article- sums up when you allow fair chase to be defined [Re: SniperRAB] #6288171 05/05/16 04:22 PM
W
Western Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
W
Originally Posted By: SniperRAB

Me either sir, I was born in 62 and still haven't figured everything out.

I do know I like to hunt the way I hunt, within the laws I have to work with. What someone else enjoys, makes not one bit of difference to me unless it interferes with, or encroaches on me. Do I have my own opinions, heck yeah, but 9/10 I won't respond to a personal hunting thread if my POV doesn't side with that persons hunting style, I will let them have their joy doing what they like without me adding negativity to their hunt experience. If asked, I would give my honest opinion sure. I have friends that hunt all kinds of ways that I don't, but none of us are worse or better for it. If it is legal, who has authority to be the moral judge??

If at first you dont succeed, then skydiving is not for you..

"Don't trust everything you read on the Internet"- Abraham Lincoln

Dennis

Re: Interesting article- sums up when you allow fair chase to be defined [Re: BOBO the Clown] #6288174 05/05/16 04:25 PM
T
Texas Tatonkas Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
T
Here is the issue - NP feels threatened by others methods and definitions. Most others on here dont. What you do does not take away from what I do because I don't let it. But NP has said on this forum before the exact opposite - that how others hunt an animal takes away from how he hunts. That's an internal issue that I can't fix.

I have fun hunting all different ways. Drinking beer in a Polaris is one of them, shoot we can't do that here so I have a blast doing it in Texas. I hunt elk here with a bow, that is fun too (I call them in so it isn't always that fair for them). Helicopter hunting is a blast. Spotlighting at night is super fun, especially from a Polaris while drinking beer. Ibex hunting in the floridas was a blast (it's like a 99 percent success rate so not too fair for the ibex). I hunt over these magical machines called feeders, sure ain't fair for the deer. I snare coyotes, that didn't seem fair because they don't try and snare me. I shot an oryx in New Mexico that they imported from Africa years ago and we drove around all day covering 200 miles until we saw one and then we got out and chased them until I could shoot it with a high powered rifle. I am sure she didn't think it was fair. I drove around all day hunting antelope in New Mexico and the one I shot was 600 yards behind the house while we were taking a lunch break, that wasn't fair I could have slept in and not burned gas had I known he was there the whole time.

Re: Interesting article- sums up when you allow fair chase to be defined [Re: BOBO the Clown] #6288189 05/05/16 04:36 PM
S
SniperRAB Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
S
And if that makes you Happy and is Legal, Ethical and Moral...

Good for you TT, as it should be Sir

Interesting in day to day life meeting individuals much like I did this past weekend and being around some pretty big hitters in this Hunting World of the Great State of Texas and when you casually bring up...Hey man do you ever get on the THF and try and promote it...They all have a pretty really common reaponse that rings loud and clear..
A lighting Rod is always mentioned...and at that point you find your self having to explain and justify like a Drunk Uncle at a Function..

Sad actually due to the core goal and outlook is the ultimately the same. up

Re: Interesting article- sums up when you allow fair chase to be defined [Re: Western] #6288198 05/05/16 04:46 PM
txshntr Offline
T-Rex Arms
T-Rex Arms
Originally Posted By: SniperRAB

Me either sir, I was born in 62 and still haven't figured everything out.

I do know I like to hunt the way I hunt, within the laws I have to work with. What someone else enjoys, makes not one bit of difference to me unless it interferes with, or encroaches on me. Do I have my own opinions, heck yeah, but 9/10 I won't respond to a personal hunting thread if my POV doesn't side with that persons hunting style, I will let them have their joy doing what they like without me adding negativity to their hunt experience. If asked, I would give my honest opinion sure. I have friends that hunt all kinds of ways that I don't, but none of us are worse or better for it. If it is legal, who has authority to be the moral judge??

Agreed, and I sure don't want addition laws to take away hunting rights and options simply because I don't agree with them.

In Texas, we have some of the most liberal hunting laws in the nation. From what I can tell, and from the article, the issues that have arisen from people pushing for more restrictions has only effected the hunters. Those states still have antis.

Re: Interesting article- sums up when you allow fair chase to be defined [Re: Nogalus Prairie] #6288233 05/05/16 05:12 PM
BOBO the Clown Offline OP
kind of a big deal
OP Offline
kind of a big deal
Originally Posted By: Nogalus Prairie
Originally Posted By: txshntr

back offtopic

Good post thanks.

What got the thread going was the statement that "the term fair chase is complete and utter BS". A statement he has continued to stand by, your attempt to speak for him (or perhaps educate/save him) notwithstanding.

Debating the concept of fair chase is a healthy thing for all, but ignoring it/calling it BS is exactly the opposite.

Lol.

You really just wrote that. Now your trolling...as always. You have yet to address the article this topic is based on. Why because all you do is troll rather then have a discussion. Your prejudiced idelogy can't let you see a bigger picture, proven again by inability to comment on this article.

Educate/save me?

Just because you can't grasp the hierarchy of animal kingdom and the ability of the human brain doesn't mean no one else can.

You accuse others and Me of demeaning your hunting, no one has ever demeaned your hunts. They and I hunt the same way as you, only difference is We have don't/have not put our methods above reproach and as a competition comparison to our hunting peers.

Again what weapon is fairchase? Asked you multiple times... You have yet to respond, just like asking your thoughts on the article....yet to respond.

Hunting is being limited through legislation using our own words... And you will let everyone else burn as long as it fulfills your bogarted quest.

Who's trolling NP... you

Donate to TX Youth hunting program.... better to donate then to waste it in taxes

https://secure.qgiv.com/for/gtgoh/mobile
Re: Interesting article- sums up when you allow fair chase to be defined [Re: Nogalus Prairie] #6288237 05/05/16 05:15 PM
txshntr Offline
T-Rex Arms
T-Rex Arms
Originally Posted By: Nogalus Prairie

Your not debating the concept of fair chase, you are debating your belief of what is ethical/morally acceptable. IMO, the reason it is bs is because there is no definition of it. You tend to hung up on the HF/LF debate, as you have on this thread, but it is much larger than that. You have discounted weapon choice, but it is part of it. When discussing fair chase, almost all means and methods come into question.

And I wasn't educating/saving him from anything. From what I have read, few disagree with him. Just said basically the same thing he did...differently. I happen to agree with him that infighting over common practice items, can and will result in loss of rights beyond expected or warranted. Falls into the "what's next" category.

As I said above, I happen to enjoy the liberty of hunting in Texas and being able to choose whether I participate or not. I won't hunt certain ranches or certain ways but have no desire to take that right away.

Re: Interesting article- sums up when you allow fair chase to be defined [Re: BOBO the Clown] #6288248 05/05/16 05:26 PM
A
A.B. Offline
Obi-Wan Kenobi
Obi-Wan Kenobi
A
So if we all like college football, we must all like the same team?

Come on Bobo and NP, let me hear you say................. Gig'em

Talent is a gift, character is a decision.
Re: Interesting article- sums up when you allow fair chase to be defined [Re: BOBO the Clown] #6288249 05/05/16 05:26 PM
W
Western Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
W
Well snap, now I have to go back a read the OP's link again bang

If at first you dont succeed, then skydiving is not for you..

"Don't trust everything you read on the Internet"- Abraham Lincoln

Dennis

Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide