Forums46
Topics537,816
Posts9,729,472
Members87,042
Most Online25,604
Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Re: Interesting article- sums up when you allow fair chase to be defined [Re: mattyg06] #6286699 05/04/16 04:38 PM
A
ALM TXhunter Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
A
Originally Posted By: mattyg06
Originally Posted By: Nogalus Prairie
Originally Posted By: mattyg06
I have always thought the best argument for hunting was stewardship. I have always thought 'fair chase' was a joke of an argument for either side to address. There isn't a single animal in existence that practices 'fair chase'.

So, you good with night hunting, no bag limits, no seasons, roost shooting, etc., etc., ....?

We are more than animals. We have technologies animals do not and cannot have. We have the ability to wipe out every wild animal from the face of the earth if we choose. We did so with many - until the concept of fair chase became the ethic of hunting.

The point: stewardship and fair chase are inextricably intertwined.

Yes, I am good with night hunting, no bag limits, no seasons, roost shooting... etc. IF we have some kind of evidence that these practices don't compromise the stewardship aspect of hunting. If the animal populations, ecological habit, etc are better off due to those practices that I am totally good with whatever way you choose to hunt.

We aren't more than animals... we just have a much larger intellectual capacity and opposable thumbs. Other than that all of our basic emotional, physiologic systems are exactly the same and built from the same pieces as every other animal on the planet. I don't care for a fair fight when I hunt, I look for the quickest kill for the animal I am harvesting. I would prefer to be head shot with a single bullet than eaten alive by a pride of Lions.

Look at the various native american tribes who herded buffalo to jump of cliffs and slaughtered 100s at a time. Was that fair chase... of course not? But in the greater context of stewardship they were far more respectful and efficient hunters than I think what is currently practiced today.

You could have 'fair chase' and still not be a steward of the land which in my opinion is worse than 'canned' hunting if the canned hunt operator shows he has a net positive impact on the flora and fauna. Think of the Oryx population in Texas... 'canned' hunting that actually provides for the greater good.

Without regulations and conservation there would be far, far less animals (if any) to hunt. The American Indians are a good example - they basically 'hunted' buffalo until extinction. So calling them good stewards?????

Re: Interesting article- sums up when you allow fair chase to be defined [Re: BOBO the Clown] #6286708 05/04/16 04:41 PM
N
Nogalus Prairie Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
N
Actually, the Indians played no role in the near extinction of the American Bison. That one was squarely on the market hunters.

Originally Posted by Russ79
I learned long ago you can't reason someone out of something they don't reason themselves into.

Re: Interesting article- sums up when you allow fair chase to be defined [Re: Nogalus Prairie] #6286729 05/04/16 04:54 PM
BOBO the Clown Online Content OP
kind of a big deal
OP Online Content
kind of a big deal
Debating is not harassing. It's how laws are made, or changed, or voted down - as the case may be. We don't live in a state of stasis.

This entire thread has made little sense to me. OP is about an anti-hunting group being against hunting, and to be fearful of them taking over the debate. Later, it is pointed out by the OP that anti-hunters are only about 5% of the population.

But then posturing that the best argument for hunting is that a fair chase ethic is BS. The same fair chase ethic that was a building block of the growth and acceptance of sport hunting into what it is today. (See Roosevelt, Grinnell, Leupold, Mahoney, etc., etc., etc....).

It is just a stir post with no direction.

"Anything goes as long as it's eaten" is a silly argument. Hunting is more than just an outdoor meat locker/packing house. Much more. Maybe some don't understand that these days.

The best arguments in defense hunting are:

1)Conservation; and
2)Fair Chase.

Period. Utilization of meat is a good ethic/support argument. We should all utilize the meat of the game animals we shoot that are edible. But even that argument leaves out predator hunting, pest control hunting, and most dangerous game hunting.

The "fair chase is BS" argument is a BS argument. "Anything goes" is not open-minded, it's just mindless.

I can't help that you can't read.

When there is a rift amoung hunters on fair chase(as seen by the article), the small group of anti's will use OUR division to persuade the non-hunters to vote for regulations that end hunting.

It's not mindless since we have laws and regulations. What's mindless is a hunter pushing his idelogy so hard that he would rather seen hunting ended. Now that's mindless

Fair chase is to broad of a word to define it, when you define it you cause riffs amoung hunters and those riffs will be used just like the article.

As far as stirring the pot... Apparently you are still commenting with out reading the article. Let's talk about trolling....

Donate to TX Youth hunting program.... better to donate then to waste it in taxes

https://secure.qgiv.com/for/gtgoh/mobile
Re: Interesting article- sums up when you allow fair chase to be defined [Re: BOBO the Clown] #6286733 05/04/16 04:57 PM
N
Nogalus Prairie Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
N
Again, just straw men...

I'll stick with supporting fair chase.

I learned long ago you can't reason someone out of something they don't reason themselves into.

Re: Interesting article- sums up when you allow fair chase to be defined [Re: Nogalus Prairie] #6286742 05/04/16 05:03 PM
kind of a big deal
OP Online Content
kind of a big deal
You are simply attempting to cite offbeat and inapplicable examples that go against broad general principles that make up the rule. We are not animals and we are not the Indians of old. The only thing that saved many species from extinction from the market gunners' emerging technologies was the broad push for and adoption of fair chase principles. Period. It's the fact.

Certainly there is more to stewardship than just fair chase - and there is more to fair chase than just stewardship. I never said differently. Yet, the fact remains that the concepts of fair chase and stewardship are inextricably intertwined. That will not and cannot change.

Wrong, fair chase principles truly don't exist, and they surely didn't bring game back. Limits and regulations do. Via your on idelogy blackpowder and horse back are more fair chase then truck and nosler rifles.

stewardship and conservation go hand in hand. Fair chase is ridiculous notion when you have tools especially modern tools and conveniences.

When you soley hunt public land with wooden bow and flint arrows come back to me and tell me your fair chase, you will atleast be closer to it.

Donate to TX Youth hunting program.... better to donate then to waste it in taxes

Re: Interesting article- sums up when you allow fair chase to be defined [Re: Nogalus Prairie] #6286744 05/04/16 05:04 PM
kind of a big deal
OP Online Content
kind of a big deal
Again, just straw men...

I'll stick with supporting fair chase.

Cool can't wait to see the pics of you and your long bow and no 4wheeler...atleast you will have a little better thought process

Re: Interesting article- sums up when you allow fair chase to be defined [Re: Nogalus Prairie] #6286754 05/04/16 05:09 PM
M
mattyg06 Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
M
You are simply attempting to cite offbeat and inapplicable examples that go against broad general principles that make up the rule. We are not animals and we are not the Indians of old. The only thing that saved many species from extinction from the market gunners' emerging technologies was the broad push for and adoption of fair chase principles. Period. It's the fact.

Certainly there is more to stewardship than just fair chase - and there is more to fair chase than just stewardship. I never said differently. Yet, the fact remains that the concepts of fair chase and stewardship are inextricably intertwined. That will not and cannot change.

I don't think the examples I cited were offbeat... that are actually universally accepted in the world of science. I am pretty sure I can show you that the same biological pathways exist in us and a majority of our prey species. The oryx is going extinct in its native range but the species is saved due to non-fair chase stewardship principles. You are correct we are not the Indians of old, but I would argue if we didn't use 'fair chase' principles but instead based our hunting culture on their stewardship principles we would be better off.

I agree with you completely about market hunters... but it wasn't fair chase that saved them it was stewardship. You don't kill off all your animals just because you can(guns). You can have 'fair chase' and still drive species to extinction... but you can't have stewardship and do the same.

Re: Interesting article- sums up when you allow fair chase to be defined [Re: Nogalus Prairie] #6286755 05/04/16 05:12 PM
A
ALM TXhunter Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
A
Actually, the Indians played no role in the near extinction of the American Bison. That one was squarely on the market hunters.

Squarely on the market hunters? Slaughtering hundreds at a time by driving off a cliff certainly didn't help, and there methods of burning the prairies was questionable. They weren't prescribed burns of today. American Indians are often cited as being the great "environmentalists" by environment happy folks, but in reality they weren't.

Re: Interesting article- sums up when you allow fair chase to be defined [Re: Nogalus Prairie] #6286767 05/04/16 05:23 PM
W
Western Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
W

Yep, he needs to read up on the history, that is very well known

If at first you dont succeed, then skydiving is not for you..

"Don't trust everything you read on the Internet"- Abraham Lincoln

Dennis

Re: Interesting article- sums up when you allow fair chase to be defined [Re: ALM TXhunter] #6286779 05/04/16 05:27 PM
W
Western Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
W
Originally Posted By: ALM TXhunter

Squarely on the market hunters? Slaughtering hundreds at a time by driving off a cliff certainly didn't help, and there methods of burning the prairies was questionable. They weren't prescribed burns of today. American Indians are often cited as being the great "environmentalists" by environment happy folks, but in reality they weren't.

Don't know where you get that from, market, tongue and robe hunters killed them by the tens of thousands. In fact the guvment at the time did it to starve the indians out. They burned of the prairies and that's what supported the huge herds of buffalo, antelope and a tons more species. What is the difference from a fire then, or a fire now? Both rejuvenate.

Dennis

Re: Interesting article- sums up when you allow fair chase to be defined [Re: ALM TXhunter] #6286784 05/04/16 05:29 PM
S
Sneaky Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
S

I don't know much about it, but they seemed to have plenty of them until the market hunters came along. Things went south pretty quick, at that point.

Re: Interesting article- sums up when you allow fair chase to be defined [Re: BOBO the Clown] #6286788 05/04/16 05:33 PM
W
Western Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
W
Here is a little history that needs read. And a pretty reputable source, taught usually in American History before 8th grade. At least in Private schools.

http://www.smithsonianmag.com/history/where-the-buffalo-no-longer-roamed-3067904/?no-ist

Dennis

Re: Interesting article- sums up when you allow fair chase to be defined [Re: Western] #6286794 05/04/16 05:37 PM
A
ALM TXhunter Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
A
Originally Posted By: Western
Here is a little history that needs read. And a pretty reputable source, taught usually in American History before 8th grade. At least in Private schools.

http://www.smithsonianmag.com/history/where-the-buffalo-no-longer-roamed-3067904/?no-ist

Thanks I will take a look at it. Guess I need to read up on it. But your comment about 8th grade wasn't necessary.......

Re: Interesting article- sums up when you allow fair chase to be defined [Re: ALM TXhunter] #6286801 05/04/16 05:47 PM
W
Western Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
W

Thanks I will take a look at it. Guess I need to read up on it. But your comment about 8th grade wasn't necessary.......

My comment about 8th grade was true in my case, I did say in private school in my case at least. Some schools now hardly even teach history. I dont think I meant it as a slight, maybe more as a surprise on my part, since it is so well documented. If it felt as a slight, I apologize, but considering the statements you made, seemed a bit ludicrous and I wasn't sure if you where for real, trolling, or just wasn't aware of history.

Dennis

Re: Interesting article- sums up when you allow fair chase to be defined [Re: Western] #6286812 05/04/16 05:57 PM
A
ALM TXhunter Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
A

My comment about 8th grade was true in my case, I did say in private school in my case at least. Some schools now hardly even teach history. I dont think I meant it as a slight, maybe more as a surprise on my part, since it is so well documented. If it felt as a slight, I apologize, but considering the statements you made, seemed a bit ludicrous and I wasn't sure if you where for real, trolling, or just wasn't aware of history.

Thanks for the clarification, I did take it as a slight. Looks like I need to dust off the history books! But I do like a good argument from time to time. Now that we have veered slightly off-course from OP, can somebody resolve the discussion......

Re: Interesting article- sums up when you allow fair chase to be defined [Re: BOBO the Clown] #6286814 05/04/16 06:00 PM
W
Western Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
W
cheers

Dennis

Re: Interesting article- sums up when you allow fair chase to be defined [Re: BOBO the Clown] #6286822 05/04/16 06:05 PM
M
mattyg06 Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
M
Just to clarify I posted the 'fair chase' definition by B&C. On their website they do attach a hunter's ethics paragraph to them, but here is just the fair chase statement: FAIR CHASE, as defined by the Boone and Crockett Club, is the ethical, sportsmanlike, and lawful pursuit and taking of any free-ranging wild, native North American big game animal in a manner that does not give the hunter an improper advantage over such animals.

The first style of human hunting involved running the prey species to death. Ungulates have to pant to cool their bodies unlike humans. So we as a species literally just kept running after them until they had to slow down due to their physiological system. Not exactly fair chase since we have a natural 'improper' advantage over the entire class of animals due to physiology. We evolved to learn to run them off cliffs, due to are advantage of increased mental capacity... We evolved to use spears, then we invented atlatls to make spears more powerful... then progressed to bows....blackpowder... modern firearms. You could pick any spot on this timeline to say anything more modern is an 'improper' advantage.

Once you look at it from a historical and scientific perspective you will realize that 'fair chase' is a political definition to make the sport of hunting more palatable to the rest of the population. If everyone viewed hunting from the historical and scientific perspective stewardship is the only principle needed and 'fair chase' would fade from our collective minds.

Re: Interesting article- sums up when you allow fair chase to be defined [Re: BOBO the Clown] #6286865 05/04/16 06:58 PM
A
A.B. Offline
Obi-Wan Kenobi
Obi-Wan Kenobi
A
Pen hunting sucks, and I am the enemy of the hunter because I hold that opinion............... Right

Talent is a gift, character is a decision.
Re: Interesting article- sums up when you allow fair chase to be defined [Re: Sneaky] #6286866 05/04/16 06:59 PM
A
A.B. Offline
Obi-Wan Kenobi
Obi-Wan Kenobi
A
Originally Posted By: Sneaky

I don't know much about it, but they seemed to have plenty of them until the market hunters came along. Things went south pretty quick, at that point.

That was my impression as well.

Talent is a gift, character is a decision.
Re: Interesting article- sums up when you allow fair chase to be defined [Re: A.B.] #6286870 05/04/16 07:00 PM
kind of a big deal
OP Online Content
kind of a big deal
Originally Posted By: A.B.
Pen hunting sucks, and I am the enemy of the hunter because I hold that opinion............... Right

No, absolutely not. Only when you claim your method is above all.

Re: Interesting article- sums up when you allow fair chase to be defined [Re: BOBO the Clown] #6286898 05/04/16 07:21 PM
W
Western Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
W
Originally Posted By: BOBO the Clown
Originally Posted By: A.B.

No, absolutely not. Only when you claim your method is above all.

BOBO, surely no one say's "do what I say, not what I do" anymore?? so draconian grin

Last edited by Western; 05/04/16 07:21 PM.

Dennis

Re: Interesting article- sums up when you allow fair chase to be defined [Re: BOBO the Clown] #6286920 05/04/16 07:40 PM
J
JCB Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
J
I don't let the antis influence what I say or do at all. Just because I disagree with what another hunter does or doesn't do, it does not automatically put me on the same team as the antis. "The sit down and shut up" mentality aint the answer for sure!

Re: Interesting article- sums up when you allow fair chase to be defined [Re: JCB] #6286929 05/04/16 07:48 PM
kind of a big deal
OP Online Content
kind of a big deal
Originally Posted By: JCB
I don't let the antis influence what I say or do at all. Just because I disagree with what another hunter does or doesn't do, it does not automatically put me on the same team as the antis. "The sit down and shut up" mentality aint the answer for sure!

You're 100% right. But we have to be careful because how we express it because define fair chase didn't work for Bear hunting or Mountain lion hunting, nor the thousands of tags being lost because of it.

Last edited by BOBO the Clown; 05/04/16 09:41 PM.

Re: Interesting article- sums up when you allow fair chase to be defined [Re: BOBO the Clown] #6286985 05/04/16 08:32 PM
N
Nogalus Prairie Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
N
Let me just say this: I have been out there "on the ground" with both my time and my $$ fighting for the rights of hunters - since probably before the OP got out of diapers. Talking, educating, discussing, debating and writing checks.

Anti-hunters are what? Anti-hunters. They are against hunting because of some stupid Disneyesque idea that hunting is cruel, inhumane, and depletes the resource of wild animals. They are stupid.

The real audience hunters need to reach is non-hunters. When you talk to them, overwhelmingly they are concerned about 2 issues:

1)The health of the resource (animal populations and hunters' impacts on same); and
2)The concept of "fair chase" (the ethic of hunters as actually hunting animals rather than just killing them to satisfy some bloodlust or for "fun" - they verbalize this in a number of ways but that's the gist).

The conservation history of hunters and the continued stewardship of the resource with hunters being by far the greatest conservationists by every metric is a very powerful testimony on hunters' behalf.
The ethic of "fair chase" exemplified by game laws and the individual practice of ethics is right behind it as a powerful testimony. Game laws are just the start of ethics. For example, if every hunter killed their limits every time out, the resource would still undergo significant depletion in many cases. There are many more examples.

There are some issues to be overcome with many forms of dog hunting, but they are usually overcome with a frank discussion/education of the tradition of dog hunting and the careful limits. (But some types of dog hunting have been banned over time - even with hunter acclimation - such as most dog hunting is not allowed for deer.)

The one current issue the vast, vast, majority of non-hunters remain adamantly repulsed by is ...... well, I'll let y'all fill in that blank.

Argue, cuss, discuss, whatever. I'm out there - I know what the issues of concern are. It does no good to put your heads in the sand about them and "sit down and shut up".

Re: Interesting article- sums up when you allow fair chase to be defined [Re: Nogalus Prairie] #6287013 05/04/16 08:50 PM
M
mattyg06 Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
M
Let me just say this: I have been out there "on the ground" with both my time and my $$ fighting for the rights of hunters - since probably before the OP got out of diapers. Talking, educating, discussing, debating and writing checks.

Anti-hunters are what? Anti-hunters. They are against hunting because of some stupid Disneyesque idea that hunting is cruel, inhumane, and depletes the resource of wild animals. They are stupid.

The real audience hunters need to reach is non-hunters. When you talk to them, overwhelmingly they are concerned about 2 issues:

1)The health of the resource (animal populations and hunters' impacts on same); and
2)The concept of "fair chase" (the ethic of hunters as actually hunting animals rather than just killing them to satisfy some bloodlust or for "fun" - they verbalize this in a number of ways but that's the gist).

The conservation history of hunters and the continued stewardship of the resource with hunters being by far the greatest conservationists by every metric is a very powerful testimony on hunters' behalf.
The ethic of "fair chase" exemplified by game laws and the individual practice of ethics is right behind it as a powerful testimony. Game laws are just the start of ethics. For example, if every hunter killed their limits every time out, the resource would still undergo significant depletion in many cases. There are many more examples.

There are some issues to be overcome with many forms of dog hunting, but they are usually overcome with a frank discussion/education of the tradition of dog hunting and the careful limits. (But some types of dog hunting have been banned over time - even with hunter acclimation - such as most dog hunting is not allowed for deer.)

The one current issue the vast, vast, majority of non-hunters remain adamantly repulsed by is ...... well, I'll let y'all fill in that blank.

Argue, cuss, discuss, whatever. I'm out there - I know what the issues of concern are. It does no good to put your heads in the sand about them and "sit down and shut up".

Nogalus, I commend you for the fight. I think that is why using 'fair chase' is a loosing cause. You are 100% correct that the audience in using 'fair chase' is the anti's. This is exactly the reason I advocate a historic and scientific perspective. If you show anti's a video of a true 'fair chase' hunt with lions eating their prey alive or watching a baby animal suffocate in it's own blood following a 'fair chase' hunt by wolves then most of them can't watch it to the end. Have you ever noticed when they show this stuff on NatGeo or alike they never show the mortally wounded animal for long... Humans just have a hard time watching it. Then you simply show a quick clean kill with a rifle. Ask the Anti which they think is more humane... In my limited experience with talking about hunting with antis... I have yet to have a single anti choose to be eaten alive vs die at the hands of a rifle if they were given a choice.

That's my whole problem with the 'fair chase' concept... it's a loaded political term and has no root in history/science/logic.

Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide