Re: Hypothetical Elk/allround rifle [Re: Ritter] #6281911 05/01/16 03:22 AM
G
gusick Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
G
Originally Posted By: Ritter
Originally Posted By: gusick
As a bow hunter, I look down on all of you.

As an atlatl hunter, I look down on you.

Ahh man, I didn't think about that.

Re: Hypothetical Elk/allround rifle [Re: chital_shikari] #6281924 05/01/16 03:39 AM
C
charlesb Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
C

"If you can't put the muzzle of the gun up against the critters hide, then you ain't no hunter."

I had an old man tell me that, one time. I like to think that he was exaggerating, maybe just a little bit. He certainly seemed to be the type to do that.

Kind regards, charlesb

Re: Hypothetical Elk/allround rifle [Re: Ritter] #6281926 05/01/16 03:44 AM
C
chital_shikari Offline OP
Minor in training
OP Offline
Minor in training
C
Originally Posted By: Ritter
Originally Posted By: gusick
As a bow hunter, I look down on all of you.

As an atlatl hunter, I look down on you.
I bow hunt, too!! However, as a jiu-jitsuka, I look down on you: who needs weapons when you choke a __ out, huh? roflmao

Re: Hypothetical Elk/allround rifle [Re: chital_shikari] #6281934 05/01/16 03:54 AM
C
Minor in training
OP Offline
Minor in training
C
Anything of controversy--multiple viewpoints and pros/cons--on any forum of any medium is often transformed into a competition: whosoever's genitals looks the largest, wins. TT85, Cleric, cmorsh, FiremanJG, and others have all contributed immensely to the cause of this thread. For that I am heartily grateful. Unlike all of y'all, "y'all" being the two sides to long range shooting vs hunting, I am not set in my ways. I have much less experience--but as much conjecture--than pretty much this whole website. I can take advice and implement it to my liking, from either "side." I've always been intrigued by long range shooting; 200 used to be far for me. I've hit a shot or two in that range (and the 5 nearing the 300 mark), but that's not a testament to being well off in the distance category. The reality is, from my readings and this forum's input, that an elk may pop up at 20yd, at 150yd, at 300yd, or it may not pop up at all. I'm good out to 200 (maybe 250?), but what if the biggest bull any of THF has ever seen steps out at exactly 323yd? If nothing pops up, well, that's hunting. Money well spent on a timeless skill regarding weaponry and optics.

Re: Hypothetical Elk/allround rifle [Re: J.G.] #6281968 05/01/16 07:43 AM
Bee'z Online Happy
The Beedazzler
Online Happy
The Beedazzler
Originally Posted By: FiremanJG
More useless banter from the guy that does not contribute anything useful. And that knows what he does not know, but is jealous of those that do.

And I assure you my stalking skills as a hunter are quite good.

Yes, Ritter he has an M.O. of doing that around here.

It seems every fiscal quarter he has to be the pigeon you play chess with who chits on the board, knocks all the pieces off and says I won.

[Linked Image]
Re: Hypothetical Elk/allround rifle [Re: Bee'z] #6282049 05/01/16 01:21 PM
J.G. Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted By: 2Beez
More useless banter from the guy that does not contribute anything useful. And that knows what he does not know, but is jealous of those that do.

And I assure you my stalking skills as a hunter are quite good.

Yes, Ritter he has an M.O. of doing that around here.

It seems every fiscal quarter he has to be the pigeon you play chess with who chits on the board, knocks all the pieces off and says I won.

Best explanation yet. up Don't know why O.P. didn't mention him in his list of thank you's.

[Linked Image]
800 Yard Steel Range
Precision Rifle Instruction
Memberships and Classes Available
Re: Hypothetical Elk/allround rifle [Re: chital_shikari] #6282057 05/01/16 01:32 PM
Cast Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Every time. You guys get a room.

Cast

[Linked Image]

I have a short attention spa
Re: Hypothetical Elk/allround rifle [Re: chital_shikari] #6282066 05/01/16 01:43 PM
B
Big Fitz Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
B
Originally Posted By: chital_shikari
You and your dad are welcome to come out. There's a discount for two people, and I'll discount even more for your youthness. wink

Learning what it takes to get hits at 800 yards, then actually doing it, will make 400 yards seem like no big deal. It will also teach how much affect wind really has at 200 yards and beyond. That will give you a clear picture of your true comfort range in the future. So many times guys come out, and look down the range without glass, and ask me which ones are which. Looking at known range, 300+ yards looks pretty serious for fresh eyes. At the end of the day it is still serious, but it becomes do-able after having gained the confidence of hitting them.
Much obliged. Definitely need to add this into my "elktober" prep list. up up up

One question, though. Your site says "the rifle scope needs to have a Mil reticle (or MOA) and adjustable turrets are preferred." The scope I'm looking at doesn't have this. Would that be a major problem(scope is Conquest HD5 with RZ800)? Really wanting to do this "hypothetical" combo. Some years down the road I'll "build" something with a "tactical" scope, but for now wanting to stay with sport optics. (Probably about to get ripped to shreds for this, but eh.)

Chital, I highly recommend JG's training! It is both fun and very informative and will directly translate into hunting situations. You can borrow one of my rifles or JG has a 7-08 to use if you don't have one up to the task.

For a light hunting scope, I am a fan of the Leupold VX3 with Boone and Crocket reticle or something similar that will help with hold overs at range...I don't like guessing. No doubt it is not as precise as twisting a turret but much better than questimating on a duplex reticle, it's light and plenty good for 400 yds and in.

You can also borrow my 30-06 for the hunt if needed. Very accurate with factory 165 grainers, Rem 700 stainless, Alaskan TI stock bedded, trigger lightened by gun smith and Titanium firing pin installed for supposed improved lock time.

Don't over-think it. Practice, prepare and have fun making some memories.

Last edited by Big Fitz; 05/01/16 02:15 PM.

Originally Posted by onlysmith&wesson
I was wrong...on anything technical.

Originally Posted by Sailor
Fitz............. is right, ya know............
Re: Hypothetical Elk/allround rifle [Re: RedSnake] #6282073 05/01/16 01:49 PM
B
Big Fitz Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
B
Originally Posted By: RedSnake
Days or weeks later customers call, e-mail or text calling me bad names, because they switched out all their scopes for Mil/ Mil and they spent some money. That's some how my fault. wink

rofl I can't even count the times I've cussed you under my breath! It's entirely your fault!

Amen RedSnake! This same kunckledragger has cost me a small fortune converting nearly all my scopes to Mil/Mil. bang Now I'm getting snobby with my friends that use inferior MOA duplex scopes. grin

Originally Posted by onlysmith&wesson
I was wrong...on anything technical.

Originally Posted by Sailor
Fitz............. is right, ya know............
Re: Hypothetical Elk/allround rifle [Re: chital_shikari] #6282099 05/01/16 02:22 PM
B
bo3 Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
B
One more good thread defiled by the long range, ethics ,and sportsmanship fight.

Re: Hypothetical Elk/allround rifle [Re: bo3] #6282130 05/01/16 02:56 PM
J.G. Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
I don't know if that's a poke at me.

All I suggested was getting a scope with a reticle to hit as far as he wants to be able to hit. And I don't think 400 yards is an unreasonable distance for someone to want to be proficient at hitting vitals.

[Linked Image]
800 Yard Steel Range
Re: Hypothetical Elk/allround rifle [Re: chital_shikari] #6282143 05/01/16 03:11 PM
B
bo3 Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
B
It wasn't directed just at you in particular more the whole group. The kid started with a legitimate question and people offered good advise from both sides. Then it became a pissin contest. Chitel is still trying to find his style if hunting and needs all the help he can get with out all the bs name calling and other stuff.

Re: Hypothetical Elk/allround rifle [Re: bo3] #6282153 05/01/16 03:24 PM
BOBO the Clown Online Content
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal
Originally Posted By: bo323
It wasn't directed just at you in particular more the whole group. The kid started with a legitimate question and people offered good advise from both sides. Then it became a pissin contest. Chitel is still trying to find his style if hunting and needs all the help he can get with out all the bs name calling and other stuff.

X2.

Donate to TX Youth hunting program.... better to donate then to waste it in taxes

https://secure.qgiv.com/for/gtgoh/mobile
Re: Hypothetical Elk/allround rifle [Re: bo3] #6282161 05/01/16 03:37 PM
J.G. Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity

No argument from me.

I still can't figure out why so many people thin Mil and BC are bad words. They are ways to turn a guessed shot into a known shot. To me, that is nothing more that using the tools we have available to make more ethical, quick, humane kills. I am all about getting as close as possible, but I also want the tools in the toolbox to cover the distance, if I can't do it on foot. And it does happen as everyone here knows.

[Linked Image]
800 Yard Steel Range
Re: Hypothetical Elk/allround rifle [Re: J.G.] #6282164 05/01/16 03:40 PM
BOBO the Clown Online Content
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal

No argument from me.

I still can't figure out why so many people thin Mil and BC are bad words. They are ways to turn a guessed shot into a known shot. To me, that is nothing more that using the tools we have available to make more ethical, quick, humane kills. I am all about getting as close as possible, but I also want the tools in the toolbox to cover the distance, if I can't do it on foot. And it does happen as everyone here knows.

X2

Donate to TX Youth hunting program.... better to donate then to waste it in taxes

https://secure.qgiv.com/for/gtgoh/mobile
Re: Hypothetical Elk/allround rifle [Re: chital_shikari] #6282202 05/01/16 04:06 PM
B
bo3 Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
B
If your serious about being able to shot elk t up to 400 yards, I would get a 10"-12" (elk vitals are about 15") gong and practice at random distances up to or over 400 yards until you can't miss. Any of the cartridges that you listed will work. Go with the one that speaks to you. If it was me, I would use the 7 mag. I haven't ran the numbers but it should have about the same energy and velocity at 300 yards as the 7mm-08 does at the muzzle. I just don't care for the 270. I don't have a reason for it I just don't like it.

Re: Hypothetical Elk/allround rifle [Re: Big Fitz] #6282430 05/01/16 07:59 PM
C
Minor in training
OP Offline
Minor in training
C
Originally Posted By: Big Fitz
Originally Posted By: chital_shikari
You and your dad are welcome to come out. There's a discount for two people, and I'll discount even more for your youthness. wink

Learning what it takes to get hits at 800 yards, then actually doing it, will make 400 yards seem like no big deal. It will also teach how much affect wind really has at 200 yards and beyond. That will give you a clear picture of your true comfort range in the future. So many times guys come out, and look down the range without glass, and ask me which ones are which. Looking at known range, 300+ yards looks pretty serious for fresh eyes. At the end of the day it is still serious, but it becomes do-able after having gained the confidence of hitting them.
Much obliged. Definitely need to add this into my "elktober" prep list. up up up

One question, though. Your site says "the rifle scope needs to have a Mil reticle (or MOA) and adjustable turrets are preferred." The scope I'm looking at doesn't have this. Would that be a major problem(scope is Conquest HD5 with RZ800)? Really wanting to do this "hypothetical" combo. Some years down the road I'll "build" something with a "tactical" scope, but for now wanting to stay with sport optics. (Probably about to get ripped to shreds for this, but eh.)

Chital, I highly recommend JG's training! It is both fun and very informative and will directly translate into hunting situations. You can borrow one of my rifles or JG has a 7-08 to use if you don't have one up to the task.

For a light hunting scope, I am a fan of the Leupold VX3 with Boone and Crocket reticle or something similar that will help with hold overs at range...I don't like guessing. No doubt it is not as precise as twisting a turret but much better than questimating on a duplex reticle, it's light and plenty good for 400 yds and in.

You can also borrow my 30-06 for the hunt if needed. Very accurate with factory 165 grainers, Rem 700 stainless, Alaskan TI stock bedded, trigger lightened by gun smith and Titanium firing pin installed for supposed improved lock time.

Don't over-think it. Practice, prepare and have fun making some memories.
Yessir, definitely going to head up there! Thanks for the info and for the offers! I've been "needing" a bigger rifle as is, and want something to spend summer job money on, but thanks again!

up up up
Regardless of banter and pissing contests or whatnot, THF always delivers. Thanks to all y'all for helping me out, and to those making it popcorn along the way.

Page 6 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide