Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Home invasion [Re: 68A] #6277978 04/27/16 10:37 PM
H
HTDUCK Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
H
Everyone that knows me or that I associate with knows NOT to come to my house for any reason without calling or texting first.
That includes our kids.
Call or text when you pull in the driveway.

Doors are locked when we are in the house and alarm is on w motion detector off in living room.
I live in a semi rural area with very little traffic after dark.
If you knock on my door you were not invited and I will not open the door.
I'll be standing six feet behind it with an 870 riot gun loaded with 00 Buck and slugs that stays 3 feet from my easy chair.
2 ARs in separate bedrooms, one upstairs and one downstairs.
Loaded handguns in strategic locations as well.
My cell phone is always on me as well.

Re: Home invasion [Re: 68A] #6278029 04/27/16 11:24 PM
B
BigPig Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
B
If you are worried about a HI, and worried that the doors may be kicked or pried open, I highly recommend installing a metal door jamb with LOOOOONG lag bolts. What's installed on door frames is made to hold everything there, doesn't provide any protection.

Re: Home invasion [Re: The Dude Abides] #6278608 04/28/16 01:10 PM
N
nyalubwe Offline
Tracker
Tracker
N
Originally Posted By: TXGUNNER308
As BIL states...have a PLAN in place for answering the door each and every time. Build your security in layers...

Answer the door with gun in hand. (This is just the world we live in)!

^^^^^^

This

Ive been fortunate to never have dealt with a home invasion per se. A couple loners thought they'd try their luck over the years, but the aforementioned "PLAN" stopped it before it began.

If my doorbell rings when I haven't invited someone over I ALWAYS answer the door gun in hand, with my other 'layer' at my side...( see pic)

Layer One smile Call sign: " Rommel"

Last edited by nyalubwe; 04/28/16 01:17 PM.
Re: Home invasion [Re: Brother in-law] #6279076 04/28/16 07:19 PM
K
krmitchell Online Content
Extreme Tracker
Online Content
Extreme Tracker
K
Originally Posted By: Brother in-law
You should have a plan in place. If you can even use a phone, a nice town in dfw is going to take 4-7 minutes to get a response. Most do not have that luxury but even then it is way to late if they want to hurt you.

Also I have been around some events where the good guy got multiple shots off at the burglar for exactly 0 hits.
Make sure when you practice , you have some stress on you and your heart rate is up. Real life, not slowly shooting at still paper at the range. Try to practice under a stop watch or shot timer.
Real talk

Run 100 yrds then try and shoot quickly, it is amazing how much accuracy drops off.

Re: Home invasion [Re: nyalubwe] #6279363 04/28/16 10:35 PM
S
splash556 Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
S
That is a beautiful Dog!

Layer One smile Call sign: " Rommel"

[/quote]

[Linked Image]
Re: Home invasion [Re: 68A] #6279410 04/28/16 11:12 PM
C
ccoker Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
C
a good friend of mine for 15 years..
He is also a trainer at KR Training

https://blog.hsoi.com/2016/01/06/regarding-the-events-of-january-5-2015/

Re: Home invasion [Re: 68A] #6280062 04/29/16 02:10 PM
billybob Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
Cool stories...I'm not a psychiatrist so I don't look for rationale behind what the perps mind is in...if he kicks down my door I will make sure he's not a cop or fireman at the wrong house and will unload at least 3 45acp's into his chest. In response to the OP's question....I have personally killed over 200 human beings in wartime. As a trainer on helicopter gunships I found most people are reluctant to take someones life. More often than not I would tell my trainee to shoot (minigun) and I could see their fingers and knuckles turning white on the grip ultimately missing the opportunity. Many times I would have to dispatch them with a 2.75 rocket because of the gunners inability to pull the trigger. This happened in about 60% sent to try out for gunships.

Moral to this if you are in that 60% you're screwed. Hopefully having a wife or kids has stimulated your obligation to protect and can pull the trigger when you have to

Re: Home invasion [Re: 68A] #6280593 04/29/16 09:44 PM
kry226 Offline
The General
The General
One technique I use is to place multiple firearms strategically throughout the house to enable access regardless of where the BGs push me. All your guns locked up in the safe won't do squat for you in an invasion.

[Linked Image]
Re: Home invasion [Re: kry226] #6280958 04/30/16 03:00 AM
B
BigPig Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
B
Originally Posted By: kry226
One technique I use is to place multiple firearms strategically throughout the house to enable access regardless of where the BGs push me. All your guns locked up in the safe won't do squat for you in an invasion.

I used to have that theory, until I started finding guns in drawers that I forgot I owned

Re: Home invasion [Re: BigPig] #6281320 04/30/16 04:28 PM
B
blackcoal Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
B
Originally Posted By: BigPig

I used to have that theory, until I started finding guns in drawers that I forgot I owned

This idea works if you can say with complete knowledge that there will NEVER be any children in your house. No children or friends with children.

The Greatest Enemy of knowledge is not ignorance,
it is the illusion of knowledge.--Stephen Hawking
Re: Home invasion [Re: billybob] #6281419 04/30/16 06:12 PM
P
passthru Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
P
Originally Posted By: billybob
Cool stories...I'm not a psychiatrist so I don't look for rationale behind what the perps mind is in...if he kicks down my door I will make sure he's not a cop or fireman at the wrong house and will unload at least 3 45acp's into his chest. In response to the OP's question....I have personally killed over 200 human beings in wartime. As a trainer on helicopter gunships I found most people are reluctant to take someones life. More often than not I would tell my trainee to shoot (minigun) and I could see their fingers and knuckles turning white on the grip ultimately missing the opportunity. Many times I would have to dispatch them with a 2.75 rocket because of the gunners inability to pull the trigger. This happened in about 60% sent to try out for gunships.

Moral to this if you are in that 60% you're screwed. Hopefully having a wife or kids has stimulated your obligation to protect and can pull the trigger when you have to

First of all thanx for being there for our nation. And you are right, being able to make that decision to take a life is harder for some than others. Also being able to maintain the cognisance to know what and when to shoot is even more difficult even when you have training and experience on your side. Having rules of engagement helps but in a civilian context, where being sued for errant bullets or even wrongful death where an attacker is concerned can cause a person to hesitate. So those who have urged you to have a plan, practice with your defense weapons and be alert and aware are right. I often do walk through house clearing practice in my house when the family is asleep. In the dark with what I have ready to go. It's not that I'm paranoid. Just that the world is out to get me.

I work hard, drink a little and hunt when I can.
NRA Life Member
https://sofalasafaris.com/
Re: Home invasion [Re: 68A] #6281428 04/30/16 06:22 PM
Bbear Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
In college, my next-door neighbors were three sisters. Around 3 AM one night I was awakened by screams and the sound of someone pounding on a door (the girl's door). My room mate came in all in a panic (he was from Springfield, Illinois and a non-gun owner)stating someone is breaking in the girl's apartment.
I grabbed my 1100 16ga and some shells and headed out the door.
Outside the girl's door were two young males, obviously a bit drunk. I dropped a round in the chamber and closed the action with another round in the mag. That stopped them cold. Their eyes got so large and it seemed they sobered up in an instant (I guess looking down the barrel of a shotgun @ 10' will do that to you).
I informed them that they had a choice to make, they could back away or get shot. They backed away. Then ran like the hounds of hell were after them.
I let them go.
I ID'd myself to the girl's and made certain they were ok.

Two weeks later it was 'parents day' at the university. I got home from work and there were 3 males sitting on a car in front of my and the girl's, apartment. I was carrying my dry cleaning and eased my pocket knife in my hand and put my clothes on the door knob. The oldest of the three walked up and asked if I lived there. I said 'Yes'. He smiled and said he wanted to thank me for watching over his daughters. He said "I didn't know anyone like that still existed."

Never saw either of the two males that were trying to break in again.

[IMG][/IMG]

Pay it forward - Kids are the future.

Rifles are similar to boats and young women...there's no end to how much money you can pour into them without making them any more useful.
Re: Home invasion [Re: passthru] #6282007 05/01/16 12:30 PM
billybob Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
Originally Posted By: passthru
Originally Posted By: billybob

First of all thanx for being there for our nation. And you are right, being able to make that decision to take a life is harder for some than others. Also being able to maintain the cognisance to know what and when to shoot is even more difficult even when you have training and experience on your side. Having rules of engagement helps but in a civilian context, where being sued for errant bullets or even wrongful death where an attacker is concerned can cause a person to hesitate. So those who have urged you to have a plan, practice with your defense weapons and be alert and aware are right. I often do walk through house clearing practice in my house when the family is asleep. In the dark with what I have ready to go. It's not that I'm paranoid. Just that the world is out to get me.

While having rules of engagement does help in the military they are not always clear cut..For me all rules went out the window if you were being shot at but you could be subject to disciplinary action. Sometimes the military is worse than civilian court systems. I shot and killed a pregnant woman in a treeline while prepping a landing zone..Never saw her and they had loud speaker and pamplets dropped for 2 days warning them to to stay away. Out gooberment paid her family and may still be paying them a stipend for the incidence...nothing was ever said to me. As a civilian I carry insurance so If I use deadly force legally I will be covered will legal from beginning to end. There is no substitute for training and stress full training but it still boils down to "can you pull the trigger and take someones life"....in time.

Re: Home invasion [Re: BigPig] #6283390 05/02/16 03:18 PM
kry226 Offline
The General
The General
Originally Posted By: BigPig

To be fair and more clear, there's a lot to infer from "strategically"... as in, a part of a strategy which includes plan rehearsals and weapons maintenance. Weapons security with children goes without saying.

[Linked Image]
Re: Home invasion [Re: 68A] #6315901 05/30/16 07:41 AM
M
mattm Offline
Tracker
Tracker
M
I don't have a story of my own but my viewpoints, while perhaps controversial with some, are based on my military training and urban tactics used in the middle east. I regularly discuss scenarios with my wife, my first instructions for her is not to take on any inturders. Her job is go get our daughter in our room with her pistol in the night stand, call the cops and shoot anyone that comes through the door. My training would kick in and I would stand a better chance when it comes to this kind of defense. I am armed at all times and could not hide out when my family is in danger...I know that others would say not to "be a hero" but in my house retreat is not for me and I would fiercely defend my family and my home.

...as He died to make men holy, let us die to make men free...
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide