Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
THF Members you have the ear of TTHA #6275854 04/26/16 05:19 PM
B
BowsnRods Offline OP
Veteran Tracker
OP Offline
Veteran Tracker
B
I will be the first to say that I had lost all interest in the direction that TTHA and their magazine had gone, but we the members of THF are being heard. I would like to announce that there is a new face that has been added to TTHA, but he is not new to the common folk perspective to what we would like to see in a hunting magazine. Mr. Kinsel is a True Steward to The Great State of Texas and The Wildlife Mother Nature has provided. I have known Mr. Kinsel for going on 20yrs and the values that he has taught his children are the same I share with my son and most who enjoy hunting. Mr. Kinsel and the Staff at TTHA want to hear from us the common folk who live and breath hunting and all that the outdoors has to offer! Please take this opportunity to provide your input on what you enjoy seeing in a hunting and outdoors magazine and please also include what if anything has turned you away from TTHA. TTHA will be watching this post so they can hear your voice and see your recommendations,so please share your views.

Re: THF Members you have the ear of TTHA [Re: BowsnRods] #6276010 04/26/16 07:34 PM
R
Red Cloud Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
R
BowsnRods, Thank you for being the link between us and Mr. Kinsel at TTHA. For years I was a proud member of TTHA but drifted away when I began to feel that the association was more interested in commercial development than hunting. I understand that profit is the primary motivator to business, however providing a service to the hunting public at the same time is my definition of success in our industry. I enjoy reading stories of hunters that work hard all year to support their families and still sort it out to enjoy hunting. texas cowboy

Re: THF Members you have the ear of TTHA [Re: BowsnRods] #6276082 04/26/16 08:18 PM
B
BowsnRods Offline OP
Veteran Tracker
OP Offline
Veteran Tracker
B
For my two cents towards my dissatisfaction of the magazine, and I can only speak for myself. I want to see more stories on the young hunters harvesting their first trophy and allowing their story to remain as written by them and not spell checked and re-worded to appease the politically correct. I want to see more involvement in bow hunting and bow hunting products. I am not a fan of reading a featured story on a pen raised deer harvested by someone wearing an Armani suit. I want to see stories that match the season in which the magazine edition comes out to include fishing. I would like to see a how to section on trapping and controlling predators. I would like to see the magazine assist hunters with a lease finder section. These are only a few things on my wish list that I would like to see in a hunting magazine.

Last edited by BowsnRods; 04/26/16 10:25 PM.
Re: THF Members you have the ear of TTHA [Re: BowsnRods] #6276104 04/26/16 08:32 PM
BOBO the Clown Online Content
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal
Content from youth, women and first trophies is already there. In every issue actually. Just gets over powered by the advertising

Donate to TX Youth hunting program.... better to donate then to waste it in taxes

https://secure.qgiv.com/for/gtgoh/mobile
Re: THF Members you have the ear of TTHA [Re: BowsnRods] #6276469 04/26/16 11:54 PM
P
Pitchfork Predator Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
P
Too many adds for the breeding industry is what really drove me away.

Not enough diversity of hunting stories in different regions of the state for different species.

Would like to see more articles on firearms and other useful hunting equipment.

Recipes for wild game.

Lower price if half the magazine is advertising like the last one I bought was.

Marc C. Helfrich
Retirement Planner

www.insured-wealth.com
469-323-8920
Re: THF Members you have the ear of TTHA [Re: BowsnRods] #6276560 04/27/16 12:31 AM
B
batman Online Content
Pro Tracker
Online Content
Pro Tracker
B
Too much attention to artificially grown livestock and calling them deer.

Re: THF Members you have the ear of TTHA [Re: BowsnRods] #6276625 04/27/16 12:54 AM
J.G. Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
I quit receiving any printed hunting/ outdoor magazines, but when I did get them I always enjoyed "how-to" articles, as well as tips and tricks. Anything is fair game, how to shoot bow, pistol, shotgun, rifle, track, process game, build a hasty blind (yes some people hunt on the ground) ect.

There is a wealth of knowledge on this site, in fact we collectively know all there is to know about hunting anything in Texas. grin

[Linked Image]
800 Yard Steel Range
Precision Rifle Instruction
Memberships and Classes Available
Re: THF Members you have the ear of TTHA [Re: BowsnRods] #6276633 04/27/16 12:58 AM
F
fbchunter Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
F
As said above I used to enjoy it as well, but later it seemed like every other page was an advertisement for deer breeders with deer that are so large they look as if they are some mutant deer that was exposed to a nuclear release. I understand that its a free country and respect people's property rights and whatnot, its just not for me

Re: THF Members you have the ear of TTHA [Re: BowsnRods] #6276659 04/27/16 01:08 AM
B
BowsnRods Offline OP
Veteran Tracker
OP Offline
Veteran Tracker
B
I would like to see more educational seminars at the Extravaganza's like back 20 years ago.

Re: THF Members you have the ear of TTHA [Re: BowsnRods] #6276756 04/27/16 01:49 AM
T
txtrophy85 Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
Take a issue from 1995 and try and recreate that.

Maybe limit the number of advertisements (whatever they are is irrelevant) get rid of celebrity hunters ( I've killed way more deer than Matt Hughes and probably clay walker and don't care to hear what Ted Nugent has to say)

I've always liked Mike murphys section.

Get more writers.....too few authors are writing all the stories....keep Brandon ray but mix the others up. Too many articles being written about deer off the same 3 ranches. Some of the stories are rather poorly written imo as well. I do like the platinum member spotlight

I could take or leave the kids hunting section....imo turn the magazine back into what it was. I feel that a lot of the articles and info Collums have been watered down. A lot of the info colums (Horace gores article on calibers and bullet selection for instance) was pretty day one stuff. Why publish something like that just to publish it?

I could go on but this is a start

For it is not the quarry that we truly seek, but the adventure.
Re: THF Members you have the ear of TTHA [Re: BowsnRods] #6276762 04/27/16 01:52 AM
tlk Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
Back when the magazine started highlighting Ted Nugent in its articles is when I began fading away. He has cleaned his act some but at the time he was a foul mouthed "hunter" who I would not let my grandchildren hear or read about. He does NOT represent me as a hunter or a person - maybe he is all for gun rights etc. but to highlight him in your magazine was a huge mistake.

I have nothing against selling ads for a magazine to survive but when the feeling one gets after browsing through is that HF bred deer are the future then the many many native Texas hunters get turned off. Please let me know - what has the magazine circulation done in the past 5-10 years? And honest straight forward answer is appreciated

You can't fix stupid
Re: THF Members you have the ear of TTHA [Re: Pitchfork Predator] #6276847 04/27/16 02:25 AM
S
SapperTitan Offline
Taking Requests
Taking Requests
S
Originally Posted By: Pitchfork Predator

Not enough diversity of hunting stories in different regions of the state for different species.

Recipes for wild game.

Come on Marc we both knw the only recipe we need is meat and Montreal seasoning haha

Re: THF Members you have the ear of TTHA [Re: BowsnRods] #6276901 04/27/16 02:51 AM
P
passthru Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
P
Never cared for them. Always seemed like elitists throwing enough money to pay for what ever sized trophy they could afford. I like a nice set of bone, and will try to kill the best buck on whatever place I'm hunting, but there's more to hunting than buying a line in the P&Y or B&C book for me.

I work hard, drink a little and hunt when I can.
NRA Life Member
https://sofalasafaris.com/
Re: THF Members you have the ear of TTHA [Re: SapperTitan] #6276958 04/27/16 03:32 AM
T
txtrophy85 Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
Originally Posted By: SapperTitan
Originally Posted By: Pitchfork Predator

Recipes for wild game.

Come on Marc we both knw the only recipe we need is meat and Montreal seasoning haha

they do have a cooking/recipe section....have for awhile

For it is not the quarry that we truly seek, but the adventure.
Re: THF Members you have the ear of TTHA [Re: BowsnRods] #6277023 04/27/16 05:27 AM
T
Txduckman Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
T
Real hunts by real people. Not paid hunts on high fence places. I know it is easier to find those stories and hunters. Nothing against them but I could careless about reading this. I took it for a year but stopped when it seems that is all it was. They need to get out a bit to get real stories to post. Of course many of us don't want to post hot spots so they are ruined. Do some research to find hunters. And the deer breeding ads seemed ridiculous. Guess that is a big rev driver.

Re: THF Members you have the ear of TTHA [Re: BowsnRods] #6277079 04/27/16 11:42 AM
D
don k Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
D
I think they need to have more about Exotics. A trophy is mostly in the eyes of the hunter who harvested the animal. Be it a WT, MD or Exotic.

Re: THF Members you have the ear of TTHA [Re: don k] #6277129 04/27/16 12:24 PM
K
kdkane1971 Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
K
Originally Posted By: don k
I think they need to have more about Exotics. A trophy is mostly in the eyes of the hunter who harvested the animal. Be it a WT, MD or Exotic.

More about exotics would get me interested

Re: THF Members you have the ear of TTHA [Re: don k] #6277199 04/27/16 01:21 PM
E
Elkhunter49 Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
E
Originally Posted By: don k

I feel the same way Don, I'd like to see an Exotic article every month.

A true friend reaches for your hand but touches your heart.
Re: THF Members you have the ear of TTHA [Re: BowsnRods] #6277209 04/27/16 01:28 PM
R
Red Cloud Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
R
BowsnRods, some excellent suggestions and comments here. Now lets hear what Mr. Kinsel has to say?

Re: THF Members you have the ear of TTHA [Re: Elkhunter49] #6277259 04/27/16 01:48 PM
T
therancher Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
T
Expanding it to include exotics and other subjects mentioned would be wise IMO.

The name of the magazine is in fact Texas trophy hunters. So I have no idea why folks are so narrow minded that they have to decide what IS and ISNT a trophy for others.

And I'm not a breeder, but if breeders are your primary income stream then I'm at least enough of a businessman to know you can't exclude their ads. It always cracks me up when people decide to hurt themselves over issues THEY have complete control over.

Such as ads. If you don't LIKE an ad, what about ignoring it as an option. Or before TiVo did you folks just stop watching your favorite tv shows if there was a commercial you didn't like?? Lmao.

Not me, I just used that time to go do short chores.

IMO tth might want to do something for their magazine that TiVo did for tv. Allow whiners an easy option to ignore what they don't like. Like put out an issue full of breeder ads and nothing else and cut most of them from the regular issues.

Personally I'd just tell the whiner nannies to GTH. But, I don't need their business and I ain't selling magazines.

Crotchety old bastidge
Re: THF Members you have the ear of TTHA [Re: BowsnRods] #6277371 04/27/16 03:02 PM
T
TEXASLEFTY Online Content
THF Whiskey Sommelier
Online Content
THF Whiskey Sommelier
T
I like Ted Nugent, I think he's funny and he says things that need to be said. I also enjoy the fact that they DONT talk about fishing. If they keep the shows I will keep subscribing, even though I don't remember the last time I opened one. The journal ends up on the rack at great clips unopened.

Originally Posted by Chunky Monkey
Never been to a camping world. I prefer Dick's to be honest.
Re: THF Members you have the ear of TTHA [Re: BowsnRods] #6277383 04/27/16 03:09 PM
P
passthru Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
P
Ted is funny. It's just hard for me to take him seriously.

I work hard, drink a little and hunt when I can.
NRA Life Member
https://sofalasafaris.com/
Re: THF Members you have the ear of TTHA [Re: BowsnRods] #6277394 04/27/16 03:20 PM
H
HuntnFly67 Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
H
I bought the magazine so I could have a sticker for my truck - in high school.

Great logo - that's about all there is though.

The magazine is just ad after ad after ad. I accept that we are in a digital age, that printed word is going the way of the dinosaur, and ads keep the presses running, but it should at least be a 1:1 ratio of pages of content to pages of ads. If I can read the magazine cover to cover, word by word before boarding my flight, its useless. Don't know that I have been on their website since I got rid of the dial-up modem.

Re: THF Members you have the ear of TTHA [Re: BowsnRods] #6277554 04/27/16 05:20 PM
B
BowsnRods Offline OP
Veteran Tracker
OP Offline
Veteran Tracker
B
I agree with Don K, a section on Exotics would be great!

Re: THF Members you have the ear of TTHA [Re: TEXASLEFTY] #6278206 04/28/16 01:10 AM
tlk Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
Originally Posted By: TEXASLEFTY
I like Ted Nugent, I think he's funny and he says things that need to be said. I also enjoy the fact that they DONT talk about fishing. If they keep the shows I will keep subscribing, even though I don't remember the last time I opened one. The journal ends up on the rack at great clips unopened.

yes he has toned it down and tries to represent the hunting community - problem is he was way way overboard early on and totally so radical that he did not help hunting he hurt it - he gave anti hunters fuel. Back when the magazine started featuring him I wrote the owner and voiced the concerns with having someone like him represent the hunting community. Anyway it is not my job to figure out for TTH magazine what works and what does not work - end of the day circulation numbers is the gauge

You can't fix stupid
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide