Print Thread
Closing The Deal #6274372 04/25/16 03:10 PM
J
Jaydub Offline OP
Woodsman
OP Offline
Woodsman
J
Both Saturday afternoon and Sunday morning we had birds come in to the call and get about 100 yds and hang up. They were within in line of sight of the decoys. What do you do to get them to finish? Call less, cluck & purr? They were responsive to the call but wouldn't close.

At one point yesterday morning, there were 8 or 9 toms all hung up about the same distance out spread out about 80 yards. When the dominant tom on the far right would gobble, they would go in succession from right to left. My son said he could hear me chuckling everytime it happened.

I've figured I've got 11 months to figure out how to close, so I'm starting now.

Re: Closing The Deal [Re: Jaydub] #6274496 04/25/16 04:37 PM
N
NMGW Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
N
It has been my experience that when birds hang up it is because I called to much and he thinks she is going to come to him. Also I know I am in the minority but I don't use decoys. I would rather the tom coming looking for me, I find I get much closer shots when I do that. Just my 2cents
But I have had really good luck on turkey so ????

New Mexico: Not Really New, Not Really Mexico
Re: Closing The Deal [Re: Jaydub] #6274567 04/25/16 05:13 PM
kmon11 Online Shocked
junior
Online Shocked
junior
Shutup on the calling, they know where it is comming from and where the decoys are. If you do call soft putrs and clucks have sealed the deal many times.
Have had some hangup that started moving away turn and run in to a cackle after they seemed to be leaving.

Tty different things, not all will respond the same way. Old turkeu hunter that killed lots of birds would get a gobbler to answer one or two times and put his call away, no decoys and they would come in close.

lf the saying "Liar, Liar your pants on fire" were true
Mainstream news might be fun to watch
Re: Closing The Deal [Re: Jaydub] #6274579 04/25/16 05:24 PM
A
Adam Cook Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
A
We all love to hear turkeys gobble but overcalling can cause them to hang up.
Decoys are hit and miss in my opinion. I've had better luck with strutting jake
decoys too. Make mental notes of what works and what didn't work. It will make
you a better turkey hunter.

Re: Closing The Deal [Re: Jaydub] #6275138 04/26/16 01:31 AM
L
LittleD Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
L
On the described scenario I would have probably blew the reeds out of my call but I would also thrown in some fighting purrs and aggressive cuts using 2 calls at the same time, but for 8 gobblers all to close the distance and hang up I would have to ask if they hung up on a fence or creek and did they do the exact same thing in the same place the next morning and did you set up in the same spot.I do agree with Kevin sometimes you have to back way off calling and every bird is different let him dictate how much calling he wants to hear.

Danny
Re: Closing The Deal [Re: Jaydub] #6275227 04/26/16 02:27 AM
G
Gamblinman Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
G
Could have just been where you set up. Turkeys are like that sometimes. Set up a hundred yards either side and they come running in. Frustrating!

Gman

" I don't hunt turkeys because I want to, I hunt turkeys because I have to."
Re: Closing The Deal [Re: Jaydub] #6275342 04/26/16 05:46 AM
G
GunsUpHunter Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
G
Depends on the turkey and the hunting grounds. Highly pressed birds will hang up and wait for the hen. Been in more situations than not though where the tom come running in like an idiot to the decoy.... Just depends on the situation. I like to have decoys for the only reason that it keeps the tom from pin pointing me.

Re: Closing The Deal [Re: Jaydub] #6275438 04/26/16 12:25 PM
B
BarneyWho Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
B
Use a jake decoy with a breeding hen, or leave one person sitting and the other walk about 80-100 yards in the opposite direction and do all the calling. If that doesn't work, go back in and set up in the exact spot you last heard the birds doing all the gobbling around 1-2 o'clock. Soft call every 15min-30min. Don't get loud and aggressive on the call. I think you'll be surprised at the results in the afternoon.

Re: Closing The Deal [Re: BarneyWho] #6275466 04/26/16 12:49 PM
J
Jaydub Offline OP
Woodsman
OP Offline
Woodsman
J
Thanks for the responses. I did cut back on the calling and tried clucks and purrs. I related it to calling ducks when they start to work in close, on a few quacks or feed calls depending on their body language.

The first afternoon, they hung up on the edge of the mesquites and we were across an opening a little up on the side of a hill. I didn't think this was ideal, but it was kind of what presented itself.

The next morning we were down in the thicket and the hung up on the edge of the thicket after they came off the roost. Who knows. It was fun, learned a little, but it keeps you humble and lets you know their is still a lot to learn.

Thanks for the responses.

Re: Closing The Deal [Re: Jaydub] #6275909 04/26/16 06:16 PM
W
Western Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
W
I'd go back sans the decoy's, just you and shotgun. If they hang up, if you are in the position to, try moving away from them, then make a couple (not a hunerd) yelps. If they think the hens are leaving, many times they will move in and quick. Move 100 yard and a couple yelps, then, quickly backtrack 50 yards if you can before you're spotted.

I believe the fellas nailed down the initial cause, too much calling, they figured your hot enough to run on over I would guess.

Last edited by Western; 04/26/16 06:17 PM.

If at first you dont succeed, then skydiving is not for you..

"Don't trust everything you read on the Internet"- Abraham Lincoln

Dennis

Re: Closing The Deal [Re: Jaydub] #6297653 05/13/16 04:02 PM
M
mley1 Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
M
I've had good luck with throwing my call so to speak, and varying the volume. I've had birds hang up before many times. And, sometimes I can get them to come in by turning my head behind me, using a mouth call, and throw my calls behind me as though the hen is moving away. And, if I soften and lower the volume of my calls it makes the appearance that the hen is moving away from the tom, and he will often times come right on in. As long as he's gobbling, and responds to my calls two or three times getting a little closer each time I shut up. He'll most the time come looking for me. I don't use decoys. The few times I have it didn't seem to work well for me, and that's probably because of the decoys I had and how I had them set up. I don't know. I just know that I no longer use them and have good luck with just my calling.

If you can't get them to come in during the morning hunt, or maybe they are henned up, go back to where they were gobbling in the afternoon after lunch. Usually, the hens will have moved off and the gobblers will be looking for love. I've called a lot of toms in during midday. They sometimes seem a lot more eager to come in later in the day.

I prefer mouth diaphragm calls, as they are hands free leaving my hands for operating my gun.

Last edited by mley1; 05/13/16 04:05 PM.

Thanks,

Marty
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide