Forum Statistics
Forums46
Topics537,757
Posts9,728,746
Members87,039
Most Online25,604
Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
how to get hogs to the spot you want to shoot them... #6272059 04/23/16 01:59 AM
S
Stratgolfer Offline OP
Pro Tracker
OP Offline
Pro Tracker
S
Going to the lease next weekend. I know there are tons of hogs out there. I need you experts to give me your best approach to getting them to a spot where you can shoot them. I'll be there Saturday morning through Sunday lunch. Go.

"I was called by the Yorkers a outlaw, and later by the english a rebel" Ethan Allen
Re: how to get hogs to the spot you want to shoot them... [Re: Stratgolfer] #6272106 04/23/16 02:26 AM
F
flintknapper Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
F
Originally Posted By: Stratgolfer
Going to the lease next weekend. I know there are tons of hogs out there. I need you experts to give me your best approach to getting them to a spot where you can shoot them. I'll be there Saturday morning through Sunday lunch. Go.

We need a lot more information than just.... you are "going to the lease".

Where is this 'lease' (what geographic location)?

What is the terrain and vegetation like?

Do you have feeders on the property?

Is there a road system through it?

What water sources are present?

Can you hunt at night?

Is the property already hunted for hogs, varmints, other?

Do you have any experience hunting hogs?

Spartans ask not...how many, but where!
Re: how to get hogs to the spot you want to shoot them... [Re: Stratgolfer] #6272252 04/23/16 10:27 AM
P
Pig_Popper Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
P
Just to let you know, I put 25 pounds of corn along a road on our lease in the area where hogs frequent - 3 dead pigs tonight and 25 pounds of corn lay untouched.

Point being - play the wind in your direction, stay quiet as best you can, and move between areas throughout the stay. If pigs are around you'll bump into eachother.

This space is For Sale - inquire within ...
Re: how to get hogs to the spot you want to shoot them... [Re: Stratgolfer] #6272282 04/23/16 12:14 PM
Lance Vick Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
Put Corn where you want them to come

Contact Lance@texashuntingland.com
www.texashuntingland.com
Deadend Outfitters
903-312-0609 Lance Vick
Fun begins where the road ends,
www.deadendoutfitters.com
www.guideonlakefork.com
Re: how to get hogs to the spot you want to shoot them... [Re: Stratgolfer] #6272939 04/24/16 01:45 AM
D
der Teufel Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
D
I don't know of any sure-fire, make hogs appear on demand, get 'em to show up when I want 'em sort of thing.

Spreading corn around will eventually work, and setting up a feeder is probably the best strategy, but typically it won't happen overnight.

If you have signs of hog activity, like fresh rooting or prints at a water hole, you could throw out some corn there and wait downwind. Without a game camera, you won't know when they might show up. It might be 3PM, 11PM, 5AM, or not at all. I've spent many afternoons sitting fruitlessly at a water hole, waiting for hogs that never came. Bring a book along if you're hunting during daylight.
--

I have two unwritten rules:
Re: how to get hogs to the spot you want to shoot them... [Re: Stratgolfer] #6273039 04/24/16 04:02 AM
K
krmitchell Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
K
It depends on when and where the hogs are hitting. On our place we trapped close to 30 last year and I only saw one alive all deer season....felt like they were cheating me having to dispatch them while they were trapped. Saw them on camera at night but with no consistency, it just wasn't meant to be for us to shoot em out and about. I'd bait an area and sit on it but no guarantees.

Re: how to get hogs to the spot you want to shoot them... [Re: Stratgolfer] #6280281 04/29/16 04:39 PM
HOG RUSH Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
I made up 10 buckets of soured corn. Corn, grape koolaid, yeast, water. Sealed it up and sat outside.

I poured it out in fields where the farmer was going to plant to thin the herd. Killed pigs everywhere but on the corn. Opossums got it.

www.hogrush.com
"There Will Be Blood"
"ONE SHOT...ONE SQUEAL"
Home of "Overlord"
Re: how to get hogs to the spot you want to shoot them... [Re: Stratgolfer] #6280324 04/29/16 05:19 PM
D
DuckCoach1985 Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
D
Hard to get pigs to target corn this time of year. Much more nutrient-dense options in the area would be my first though. They will eat it, but corn is really just a filler. Try sweet feed and protein, see what they like. mineral supplements like salt-licks can also work if they are lacking that particular mineral in your area.

Re: how to get hogs to the spot you want to shoot them... [Re: Stratgolfer] #6282120 05/01/16 02:39 PM
B
bo3 Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
B
The best way to get hogs to where you would like to shoot them is to shoot them where you find them and drag them to your chosen spot.

Re: how to get hogs to the spot you want to shoot them... [Re: Stratgolfer] #6282312 05/01/16 05:48 PM
1860.colt Offline
emoji colt.45
emoji colt.45
2cents tis no expert... WMA hunts was more pudding one foot in front of the udder & being in right place at right time...
How'd the hunt go ?
Been seeing several deer, pheasant, ducks, & geese here... bang No wild hogs... flag

i'm postaddic
Re: how to get hogs to the spot you want to shoot them... [Re: Stratgolfer] #6282370 05/01/16 06:47 PM
billybob Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
Fill a 5 gallon bucket with corn and koolaid. Dig however many 2' 10" holes you want probably 2 will work. Pour a little mix in the bottom...cover with dirt... more mix cover with dirt...on top throw quite a bit of the mix and add some more koolaid. Guaranteed to work. They love to root for their food and can't resist it. The koolaid has a strong odor and brings them in. It will look like bomb strike when they finish.

Re: how to get hogs to the spot you want to shoot them... [Re: Stratgolfer] #6282470 05/01/16 08:39 PM
Cast Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
I would not want the bomb craters. A pig pipe might just do the same without the death trap bomb crater.

Cast

[Linked Image]

I have a short attention spa
Re: how to get hogs to the spot you want to shoot them... [Re: Stratgolfer] #6282542 05/01/16 09:50 PM
S
Stratgolfer Offline OP
Pro Tracker
OP Offline
Pro Tracker
S
Well, long story short....nothing. We set up a spot on a known pig highway not too far from camp. Dug a little hole, filled it with corn, then cool aid, then corn until the top. I added a half a can of skunk beer, and the water from draining frozen shrimp, basically I threw the kitchen sink at Those hogs. foiled again. Thanks for all the input and help you folks are the best!

"I was called by the Yorkers a outlaw, and later by the english a rebel" Ethan Allen
Re: how to get hogs to the spot you want to shoot them... [Re: Stratgolfer] #6282549 05/01/16 09:59 PM
billybob Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
It may take a day or two but they'll be there. They don't normally feed during the day I set a camera up and pinpoint their feed times. Set my alarm to be ready 30 min early. Drop the skunk stuff just corn and koolaid

Last edited by billybob; 05/01/16 10:03 PM.
Re: how to get hogs to the spot you want to shoot them... [Re: Cast] #6282555 05/01/16 10:07 PM
billybob Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
Originally Posted By: Cast
I would not want the bomb craters. A pig pipe might just do the same without the death trap bomb crater.

They've destroyed all my pipes and drug them off.

Re: how to get hogs to the spot you want to shoot them... [Re: Stratgolfer] #6283423 05/02/16 03:33 PM
D
DuckCoach1985 Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
D
Originally Posted By: Stratgolfer
Well, long story short....nothing. We set up a spot on a known pig highway not too far from camp. Dug a little hole, filled it with corn, then cool aid, then corn until the top. I added a half a can of skunk beer, and the water from draining frozen shrimp, basically I threw the kitchen sink at Those hogs. foiled again. Thanks for all the input and help you folks are the best!

must have used bud light.. even pigs hate that stuff.

Silver bullets work best........ for everyone involved

Re: how to get hogs to the spot you want to shoot them... [Re: Stratgolfer] #6283481 05/02/16 04:15 PM
Double Naught Spy Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
Quote:
Fill a 5 gallon bucket with corn and koolaid. Dig however many 2' 10" holes you want probably 2 will work. Pour a little mix in the bottom...cover with dirt... more mix cover with dirt...on top throw quite a bit of the mix and add some more koolaid. Guaranteed to work. They love to root for their food and can't resist it. The koolaid has a strong odor and brings them in. It will look like bomb strike when they finish.

Guarantees without a guarantee. Hmmm. I have tried kool-aid on several occasions with ZERO results. I have tried the corn pits as well. The corn pits and buried corn don't actually do anything to attract the hogs so much as to help hold hogs in place longer, sort of like hog pipes.

Hogs will eat just about anything (except pumpkins, never had them eat pumpkins) and if you have hogs, they will likely eat what you put out for them. If you don't have hogs, there are no magical beans to make them appear.

Hogdalorian - Si vis pacem cum sus, para bellum.
My Videos https://www.youtube.com/user/HornHillRange
Re: how to get hogs to the spot you want to shoot them... [Re: Double Naught Spy] #6283944 05/02/16 09:13 PM
G
Gwood88 Offline
Tracker
Tracker
G
Originally Posted By: Double Naught Spy

Hogs will eat just about anything (except pumpkins, never had them eat pumpkins) and if you have hogs, they will likely eat what you put out for them. If you don't have hogs, there are no magical beans to make them appear.

This has been my experience. Multiple times I have tried soured corn on some new land I was hunting and they never showed. Not saying it doesn't work, just hasn't for me.

My secret it I set up a corn feeder, fill it with corn, and wait. 60% of the time it works every time!

Texas A&M Class of 2011
Re: how to get hogs to the spot you want to shoot them... [Re: Double Naught Spy] #6284030 05/02/16 10:11 PM
F
flintknapper Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
F

Quote:
I have tried the corn pits as well. The corn pits and buried corn don't actually do anything to attract the hogs so much as to help hold hogs in place longer, sort of like hog pipes.

^^^^^^^^^^ Correct. Corn (or anything else) placed in a hole or 'pit' will NOT 'attract' hogs. It will last longer (once found) and normally will be claimed by the dominant hog in a group. It 'can' make for a situation where you get a better shot at the animal than you might normally have gotten. But 'attract' them, no.

[/quote]

Quote:

This has been my experience as well. I can't say that I have put out any food source that 'attracted' hogs that weren't already nearby and likely to find it anyway.

I have had some luck bringing in hogs by using Kreso-Dip sprayed on trees and Sow in Estrous lure in traps (for Boars).

Even then, there were hogs in the 'area' (likely within a half mile).

I never go to the trouble to 'sour' corn or make concoctions of any type. If hogs are around, they will eat plain old corn just fine.

I also put out table scraps, but I live on the property I hunt and can visit bait sites daily if I wish.

Trail cam videos consistently show they eat the corn first, everything else afterward. One recent exception was a Boar that ate a bunch of squirrels instead of the corn right next to them.

Last edited by flintknapper; 05/02/16 10:12 PM.

Spartans ask not...how many, but where!
Re: how to get hogs to the spot you want to shoot them... [Re: Gwood88] #6284942 05/03/16 04:13 PM
D
DuckCoach1985 Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
D
Originally Posted By: Gwood88
Originally Posted By: Double Naught Spy

This has been my experience. Multiple times I have tried soured corn on some new land I was hunting and they never showed. Not saying it doesn't work, just hasn't for me.

My secret it I set up a corn feeder, fill it with corn, and wait. 60% of the time it works every time!

Don't know about hogs but the deer here in Wimberley will eat the jack-o-lanterns right off your porch

Re: how to get hogs to the spot you want to shoot them... [Re: billybob] #6297278 05/13/16 11:20 AM
justinjohns Offline
Light Foot
Light Foot
Originally Posted By: billybob

should do the trick. We use koolaid as well. I have also used soured grain with good results.

Re: how to get hogs to the spot you want to shoot them... [Re: Stratgolfer] #6297382 05/13/16 01:02 PM
1860.colt Offline
emoji colt.45
emoji colt.45
worthless update dueling with android.... confused2 How did the hunt go ?
scratch at my set up behind the house down by the creek... Twas more the hogs following the creeks that drew them inta the food plot & the sound of the corm feeder for deer going off...
A llot has ta do with wind direction, hogs being down wind of sound of feeder or scent of attractant.... Hunting presure of surounding area, ta keep the hogs moving, & being in right place at right time ...
cheers use of trail cams helped narrow the time of sitting & waiting... rofl that thar waiting can be a pain in the arse, in some cases leading ta hemarrhoids... Tis why my ta goto place was the OSBWMA for grillen & chillen hogs... Pudding one foot in front of de udder....
Always good ta get 2or more opinions, in refferance ta old saying: every one has an opinion, as pappy say's: mine stinks ...

flag

Last edited by colt.45; 05/13/16 01:06 PM.

i'm postaddic
Re: how to get hogs to the spot you want to shoot them... [Re: 1860.colt] #6303322 05/19/16 02:13 AM
C
cva34 Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
C
Find a worthless tree in stand sight wrap with burlap thick layer tie on ..soak it with old used motor oil add more as needed..they will find and rub to to control parasites..Corn works here and there /a gut pile

Re: how to get hogs to the spot you want to shoot them... [Re: Stratgolfer] #6307807 05/23/16 06:51 AM
W
Wacm Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
W
Just set up a deer feeder...it's that easy

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide