Print Thread
Hog trapping #6266650 04/19/16 02:46 PM
M
macec3(TX) Offline OP
Tracker
OP Offline
Tracker
M
Does someone want to trap some hogs? They are in my hay field and that is the last straw.
Located in south Rusk county (Mount Enterprise/Laneville) area.
Call 903-863-2228 after about 7 PM or send me a PM.

Re: Hog trapping [Re: macec3(TX)] #6266930 04/19/16 06:09 PM
F
flintknapper Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
F
Originally Posted By: macec3(TX)
Does someone want to trap some hogs? They are in my hay field and that is the last straw.
Located in south Rusk county (Mount Enterprise/Laneville) area.
Call 903-863-2228 after about 7 PM or send me a PM.

Mace it would probably be more effective to have someone come in with dogs. I'm not a big proponent of running pigs with dogs (for a variety of reasons) but if you just need them gone (for a while) there is no better method.

To 'trap' them (the best method, IMO)....would require the pigs visit your property on a fairly regular basis.

If I were doing it, I would first set up cameras to see when the hogs are coming in and what the make up of the group is (age and numbers). After that I would select the best site to construct a 'pen' trap and then bait it out with the entrance propped open and tied back.

When (and IF) the hogs become comfortable going inside, I would then set the 'triggering' mechanism.

This is what I set up on my place:

I am about 30 minutes South of you.

Spartans ask not...how many, but where!
Re: Hog trapping [Re: macec3(TX)] #6267041 04/19/16 07:27 PM
T
TexasOutdoorsman Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
T
I dont trap any more, I do night hunting with red or green mounted lights on my rifles or i use night vision. I am Located in Nacogdoches and i would love to help you with your problem if it will put meat on my table while making a new friend.

Thanks Conner cowboy

Ill PM You also

texas

Tejas Wildlife Company - Selling Apparel to Benefit Wildlife!
Instagram - @tejaswildlifeco
Re: Hog trapping [Re: macec3(TX)] #6268353 04/20/16 04:43 PM
F
flintknapper Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
F
Mac, you have PM

Re: Hog trapping [Re: macec3(TX)] #6268364 04/20/16 04:47 PM
E
Erich Offline
Tracker
Tracker
E
how many panels are used in the trap pictured above?

Outdoorsman
Re: Hog trapping [Re: Erich] #6268656 04/20/16 07:48 PM
F
flintknapper Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
F
Originally Posted By: Erich
how many panels are used in the trap pictured above?

Six in the first photo. I will normally use 6-8 panels (heavy gauge utility panel, 16' long, 5' high, 4x4 squares).

Some applications depending upon locale (in a lane, next to a structure, etc) will require using as few as 4.

Don't use panels less than 60" tall (or very close to that), or you'll have hogs jump or climb out.

Re: Hog trapping [Re: macec3(TX)] #6268764 04/20/16 09:18 PM
E
Erich Offline
Tracker
Tracker
E
I had a similar round pen built where I used 6 regular 50in cattle panels. I caught a few hogs in it. I don't think it was that I had them getting out I just never caught as many as it seemed I should have. the small hogs would escape thru the larger holes. it became so much work to pull it up and move it periodically that I haven't used it much.

Outdoorsman
Re: Hog trapping [Re: Erich] #6268880 04/20/16 10:32 PM
F
flintknapper Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
F
Originally Posted By: Erich
I had a similar round pen built where I used 6 regular 50in cattle panels. I caught a few hogs in it. I don't think it was that I had them getting out I just never caught as many as it seemed I should have. the small hogs would escape thru the larger holes. it became so much work to pull it up and move it periodically that I haven't used it much.

Fortunately, I don't have to move many of mine very often. We have certain terrain features on the ranch that funnel hogs to the trap areas and the habitat is also inviting to them.

It doesn't take me long to take a trap down, but putting one up (by myself) can be a bit of a chore. The soil here is mostly sandy loam, but some places are red clay and iron ore rock. If I still lived in the Hill Country with all that limestone, I'd likely make framed free standing panels instead of using T-Posts.

I don't like to use Cattle Panels because piglets will squirt through the large wire squares. 4" x 4" utility panel is the way to go. Tractor Supply normally carries it.

I use cable clamps and a battery powered drill with a socket attachment to join the panels together. It goes pretty fast. Driving T-Posts in the hot summer sun....isn't all that much fun (not asking for that, for my birthday...anyway). wink

But..in the end, well worth it... if you can catch a large group of pigs.

Re: Hog trapping [Re: macec3(TX)] #6269304 04/21/16 03:06 AM
S
shock_n_awe Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
S
I had hogs victimizing my wheat fields north of Jacksboro. To make any real financial impact on crop retention, trapping has to be routine and established with surrounding land owners unless you own substantial acreage.

If not, herds become trap smart. This will affect trapping long term.

Also, shooting pigs in hopes of reducing numbers is futile. Pigs will become erratic and scattered making long term eradication by hunting next to impossible.

***** the above statements relate to ongoing infestation. If you have a small isolated group that showed up, pressure by trapping or shooting should move them out of your area.

Re: Hog trapping [Re: shock_n_awe] #6269391 04/21/16 05:47 AM
skinnerback Offline
THF Celebrity Chef
THF Celebrity Chef
Originally Posted By: shock_n_awe
I had hogs victimizing my wheat fields north of Jacksboro. To make any real financial impact on crop retention, trapping has to be routine and established with surrounding land owners unless you own substantial acreage.

Also, shooting pigs in hopes of reducing numbers is futile. Pigs will become erratic and scattered making long term eradication by hunting next to impossible.

***** the above statements relate to ongoing infestation. If you have a small isolated group that showed up, pressure by trapping or shooting should move them out of your area.

A team of good hunters/shooters can take out close to half of a sounder in one night with rifles on open ground. Do that a few times a week for several months, rotating pastures. If you want to make a difference then you have to be out there on a regular basis. You see a pig, either shoot or turn the dogs loose. You keep the hunting pressure on them and they will back off from the crops. Hunting pressure works. When the choppers are flying, it makes things more difficult for the guys on the ground. roflmao

Re: Hog trapping [Re: skinnerback] #6270878 04/22/16 09:02 AM
S
shock_n_awe Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
S
Valid point Skinner. I was going to asterisk my original statement meaning the average weekend warriors shooting at hogs to impact numbers is futile.

In your example, skilled hunters working in teams with access to larger acreages so a rotation pattern keeps them scattered and guessing does impact numbers. The key is consistent and routine over a long term like you said. Funny, the solution is also the problem.

1. Hard to find and keep a skilled group that can sustain shock n awe to make a difference.
2. Difficult to get landowners to grant open access to said groups.

Regardless, kill em' all and let God sort the bodies!
cheers

Re: Hog trapping [Re: skinnerback] #6270919 04/22/16 11:41 AM
F
flintknapper Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
F
Originally Posted By: skinnerback
Originally Posted By: shock_n_awe

A team of good hunters/shooters can take out close to half of a sounder in one night with rifles on open ground. Do that a few times a week for several months, rotating pastures. If you want to make a difference then you have to be out there on a regular basis. You see a pig, either shoot or turn the dogs loose. You keep the hunting pressure on them and they will back off from the crops. Hunting pressure works. When the choppers are flying, it makes things more difficult for the guys on the ground. roflmao

^^^^^^^^ I don't disagree with most of the above, but it isn't applicable on all properties. Example: In the OP's case he is dealing with less than 60 acres and also has some livestock on the place. I don't know what the surrounding properties look like or if he has neighbors living nearby but all this dictates the 'best' method(s) to employ.

Just the same, your principles are sound and correct.

Last edited by flintknapper; 04/22/16 11:42 AM.

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide