Print Thread
Where do the turkey's go? #6264075 04/17/16 07:35 PM
K
krmitchell Offline OP
Extreme Tracker
OP Offline
Extreme Tracker
K
In the fall, I saw one group and that was it. They weren't on camera and I heard them maybe one time during all of deer season.....Now, we have at least 8 different groups that I have run into on our property. Do they just hide during deer season due to lack of cover? I can't take a drive now without running into them where during deer season they just vanished....Thoughts?

Re: Where do the turkey's go? [Re: krmitchell] #6264373 04/18/16 12:28 AM
CharlieCTx Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
I think turkey and deer must have a time-share somewhere they split the year. I haven't seen a single deer since mid-January.

Charlie

Re: Where do the turkey's go? [Re: krmitchell] #6264392 04/18/16 12:40 AM
kmon11 Offline
junior
junior
Fall turkey are in large flocks usually the hens young and old in large flocks, jakes with other jakes and mature gobblers in smaller flocks together, A lot of the time they will be along streams or near them in the fall and winter. In the spring they will split up and spread out a lot, hens in better nesting locations and gobbler will split up after the hens.

Have never seen this written anywhere but just from my observations in close to 40 years of hunting and watching wild turkeys.

lf the saying "Liar, Liar your pants on fire" were true
Mainstream news might be fun to watch
Re: Where do the turkey's go? [Re: kmon11] #6264405 04/18/16 12:50 AM
K
krmitchell Offline OP
Extreme Tracker
OP Offline
Extreme Tracker
K
Originally Posted By: CharlieCTx
I think turkey and deer must have a time-share somewhere they split the year. I haven't seen a single deer since mid-January.

Seriously, that is how they act around here.

Charlie
Originally Posted By: kmon1
Fall turkey are in large flocks usually the hens young and old in large flocks, jakes with other jakes and mature gobblers in smaller flocks together, A lot of the time they will be along streams or near them in the fall and winter. In the spring they will split up and spread out a lot, hens in better nesting locations and gobbler will split up after the hens.

Have never seen this written anywhere but just from my observations in close to 40 years of hunting and watching wild turkeys.

It was light night and day out in San Saba county this year. Like I said, saw one group in early fall and saw one or two on camera the entire deer season. We ran 5 feeders/6 cameras.....Then spring comes around and I see more turkey than I do rabbits running around....Just weird.

Re: Where do the turkey's go? [Re: krmitchell] #6265438 04/18/16 06:41 PM
T
Tru2lifetaxidermy Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
T
Our lease in north Texas is full of hens during deer season, not a tom on the place and we had 10 feeders/11 cameras. Now it's full of hens and toms this time of year and no deer happens to us every year. We even had 11 hens in our pig trap once this season....I was told you can ask game and fish to take/trap hens off your lease. Anyone hear or done this?

Re: Where do the turkey's go? [Re: krmitchell] #6266383 04/19/16 07:40 AM
T
Txduckman Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
T
If you pay they will trap them or find someone else who will pay. It is not free.

We see no deer and only hogs/turkey on cams at feeders until October normally. I did see a few deer past few weeks but they won't touch a feeder until the fall. Deer I did see walked way away from feeder just passing by.

I didn't see a turkey all deer season but see them everywhere now. It is normal in N Tex. We set up pop up blinds where the turkey go in the spring.

Re: Where do the turkey's go? [Re: kmon11] #6266568 04/19/16 01:48 PM
W
Western Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
W

Agree with Kmon and will add this, I believe they have a winter ground and a summer ground from what I have seen. In the fall and winter, they can gravitate to timber for shelter and fallen mass. Summer time usually has most of the food in fields and openings. That is if the terrain is diverse, I have hiunted one place out near Sterling that had few mature trees, so they stayed in that general section most of the time.

If at first you dont succeed, then skydiving is not for you..

"Don't trust everything you read on the Internet"- Abraham Lincoln

Dennis

Re: Where do the turkey's go? [Re: krmitchell] #6266619 04/19/16 02:20 PM
T
TxAg Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
T
Agree with what Kmon and Western have both said.

In the Fall, Winter our hens will be in massive flocks of 25 to 40. They stay together and move over the landscape as one, and always go back to the same general roost area which is some big mast trees down in a creek bottom. The gobblers will be together in smaller flocks of 6 to 12, and they hang on a different part of the ranch but still in creek bottoms.

Come Spring, the hens all split up and start looking for nesting cover. The gobblers split up as well following the hens. You will see turkeys on parts of the ranch in the spring where you'll never see them in the Fall or Winter.

This makes calling fun because 50% of the time I'm calling where I think they are and they come from a totally different direction. Or, they're no longer on that part of the ranch at all.

Re: Where do the turkey's go? [Re: Western] #6266664 04/19/16 03:03 PM
K
krmitchell Offline OP
Extreme Tracker
OP Offline
Extreme Tracker
K
Originally Posted By: Western

Agree with Kmon and will add this, I believe they have a winter ground and a summer ground from what I have seen. In the fall and winter, they can gravitate to timber for shelter and fallen mass. Summer time usually has most of the food in fields and openings. That is if the terrain is diverse, I have hiunted one place out near Sterling that had few mature trees, so they stayed in that general section most of the time.

This is what I'm starting to think. Our place thins out significantly in the winter and impacts the deer as well. I'm wondering if they don't hit heavier cover when things die off and then come back out in the spring when everything is green and they can hide a little better.

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide