476184 Topics
6246652 Posts

Max Online: 16728 @ 03/25/12 08:51 AM
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#6265168 - 04/18/16 10:48 AM ATV Title Question
BigDad Online   content
Woodsman

I am considering purchasing a used ATV/UTV for hunting my property in East TX. I spoke to gentleman about one but he does not have a title. He said it was never titled because it was originally purchased in Oklahoma and they don't require titles. He will provide a notarized bill of sale. How difficult is it to get a title if it never had one?

#6265262 - 04/18/16 11:44 AM Re: ATV Title Question [Re: BigDad]
TxRedhawk Offline
Outdoorsman

Loc: Wise County/Stephens County
It seems to me that as long as you keep it off of public roadways you don't necessarily need the title; bill of sale would be fine for proof of ownership. On the other hand, if you are planning on making it street legal then the story might change.

#6265269 - 04/18/16 11:48 AM Re: ATV Title Question [Re: BigDad]
jeh7mmmag Online   happy
gramps

Loc: Colleyville, DFW, TX
I would contact DVR. Even if you haul it on a trailer for hunting TPWD and TDPs are checking for stolen and need a title.

#6265319 - 04/18/16 12:26 PM Re: ATV Title Question [Re: BigDad]
kk66 Offline
Woodsman

Loc: San Antonio, Texas
Oklahoma DMV

Might be worth a read...

"All-terrain vehicles (ATVs) and off-road motorcycles (ORMs) must be registered and titled in Oklahoma.
Register your ATV or ORM at your local tag office by completing an Application for Oklahoma Certificate of Title for a Vehicle (Form 701-6) and providing the manufacturer's certificate of origin or the original title signed over to you. You'll also need to provide a copy of the invoice or bill of sale you received when you bought the vehicle.
You'll follow the same registration and titling procedures as you would to register your standard car. Visit our Register Car in Oklahoma page for more information.
It will cost you $11 to title your ATV or off-road motorcycle with the Oklahoma Tax Commission."

#6265484 - 04/18/16 02:19 PM Re: ATV Title Question [Re: BigDad]
Pitchfork Predator Offline
THF Celebrity

Loc: Murphy, TX Dickens county
If you get stopped they will check it for being stolen. Even if your hauling it on a trailer. They will pull you over just to check it. A bill of sale will not prevent them from confiscating it if it's reported stolen and possibly arresting you if they think they need to. These things get stolen all the time. The excuse he gave you is bogus.

Edited by Pitchfork Predator (04/18/16 02:22 PM)

www.insured-wealth.com
469-323-8920

#6265528 - 04/18/16 02:42 PM Re: ATV Title Question [Re: Pitchfork Predator]
rexmitchell Online   content
Pro Tracker

Originally Posted By: Pitchfork Predator
If you get stopped they will check it for being stolen. Even if your hauling it on a trailer. They will pull you over just to check it. A bill of sale will not prevent them from confiscating it if it's reported stolen and possibly arresting you if they think they need to. These things get stolen all the time. The excuse he gave you is bogus.

Realistically what are the chances of getting pulled over for just hauling a 4 wheeler? 4 wheelers are sold all the time without a title. I agree it is definitely safer to have one, but at the same time if you are using it only on private property I'd say the risk is relatively low in having an issue. I could be wrong but just my opinion. Another question, is it even legal to be pulled over just because you have a 4 wheeler on a trailer? That sounds like a really big stretch of probably cause.

Edited by rexmitchell (04/18/16 02:43 PM)

#6265537 - 04/18/16 02:47 PM Re: ATV Title Question [Re: rexmitchell]
THF Celebrity

Originally Posted By: rexmitchell

Realistically what are the chances of getting pulled over for just hauling a 4 wheeler? 4 wheelers are sold all the time without a title. I agree it is definitely safer to have one, but at the same time if you are using it only on private property I'd say the risk is relatively low in having an issue. I could be wrong but just my opinion. Another question, is it even legal to be pulled over just because you have a 4 wheeler on a trailer? That sounds like a really big stretch of probably cause.

Realistically, the chances are pretty good. I was stopped once and told it was to check the ATV because they had a lot being stolen. As far as being sold all the time without a title, I've NEVER bought one without one and have owned several.

www.insured-wealth.com
469-323-8920

#6265548 - 04/18/16 02:54 PM Re: ATV Title Question [Re: BigDad]
BOBO the Clown Offline
decoy

Loc: Metroplex
Originally Posted By: BigDad
I am considering purchasing a used ATV/UTV for hunting my property in East TX. I spoke to gentleman about one but he does not have a title. He said it was never titled because it was originally purchased in Oklahoma and they don't require titles. He will provide a notarized bill of sale. How difficult is it to get a title if it never had one?

You can get the vin/ serial number and see if it has been stolen other then that. There isn't a hard title requirement in Texas, since you don't have to register it. Always get a Bill of Sale though

#6265551 - 04/18/16 03:02 PM Re: ATV Title Question [Re: BigDad]
sig226fan (Rguns.com) Online   happy
duck & cover

Loc: Hickory Creek, Fannin Co. Texa...
ive bought several in Texas, and there;s no title if paid in cash, only if financed, even new ones

You have a friend in the gun business!

www.Rguns.com
Vernon Richardson
Richardson's Gun Shop
Hickory Creek Hunting Company
3701 FM 816
Wolfe City, TX 75496
903-496-7747
Email vernon at rguns dot com

#6265559 - 04/18/16 03:11 PM Re: ATV Title Question [Re: BigDad]
Western Offline
THF Celebrity

Loc: Wise County Texas
You should still get the Certificate of Origin, that comes will all news ones iirc Makes ownership claim easier if it does get stolen and is similar to a title when needed to borrow on it as Vernon said. Bill of sale should be had on anything bought of value.

The first 5 day's after the weekend, are the hardest....

Dennis

#6265567 - 04/18/16 03:17 PM Re: ATV Title Question [Re: sig226fan (Rguns.com)]
THF Celebrity

Originally Posted By: sig226fan (Rguns.com)
ive bought several in Texas, and there;s no title if paid in cash, only if financed, even new ones

I paid cash for my last one and I'm sitting here looking at the title.

www.insured-wealth.com
469-323-8920

#6265600 - 04/18/16 03:41 PM Re: ATV Title Question [Re: BigDad]
Nogalus Prairie Online   content
THF Celebrity

Loc: Corsicana
ATVs have been required to be titled since 1985.

UTVs since 2009 (with very limited farm use exceptions).

Edited by Nogalus Prairie (04/18/16 03:41 PM)

#6265611 - 04/18/16 03:47 PM Re: ATV Title Question [Re: Pitchfork Predator]
Pro Tracker

Originally Posted By: rexmitchell

Realistically, the chances are pretty good. I was stopped once and told it was to check the ATV because they had a lot being stolen. As far as being sold all the time without a title, I've NEVER bought one without one and have owned several.

Who is pulling you over and where? What were you doing? That would be like stopping every pickup truck because they are getting stolen a lot, it doesn't make sense.

#6265630 - 04/18/16 04:01 PM Re: ATV Title Question [Re: BigDad]
THF Celebrity

Game warden. Do not remember what county I was in, on the way to a hunting lease. Driving down the road.

Edited by Pitchfork Predator (04/18/16 04:08 PM)

www.insured-wealth.com
469-323-8920

#6265646 - 04/18/16 04:07 PM Re: ATV Title Question [Re: Pitchfork Predator]
Pro Tracker

Game warden. Do not remember what county I was in, on the way to a hunting lease. Driving down the road. Are you inferring that I just made it up?

No, nor am I doubting you. Again, that just doesn't make sense....Makes a little more sense that it was a GW, but still that is a real stretch of the law to pull over anyone hauling an ATV just because they are hauling it. You are the only person I've heard that happening to. It might make sense if you were leaving a public hunting area, or something like that but just driving down the road, he must have been bored.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >

© 2004-2016 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide