Cool Mo D Online   content
Veteran Tracker

Loc: E. TX.
LMAO!!!!!

#6263924 - 04/17/16 12:04 PM Re: Beer Can Chicken [Re: Cool Mo D]
skinnerback Offline
THF Celebrity

Loc: Rockport, Tx.
I take the bird and inject it with whatever marinade I want (garlic butter etc). I put some oil and seasoning in a bowl (I still like Tony's on chicken) and whisk it up until it forms a paste, then I smother the outside of the bird with it. I like using the 16 oz cans because they hold more goodies. I cut the top off and reserve half of the beer. I slice/quarter and stuff in can onion, garlic, bell pepper, serrano pepper, lemon, and cilantro goes on top. Then I add some Tony's & black pepper and top off with beer. Put can in rack, slide on bird. Make sure fat/skin is pulled out on bottom, it will shrink and seal around the can. I stick a small tater or the end of a larger tater in the top hole and pull the skin down over that. Cook on indirect heat with wood of your choice until done. Don't cook too hot or the skin will split and you'll lose juices. Be careful when removing because your fingers can pop/poke into the bird and squirt out hot juices. It's gonna swell up like a tick. food I like to quarter the bird/birds and lay in a pan, then pour the contents of the cans all over the top. It doesn't get more tender/juicy/full of flavor than that! Throw the carcasses in a pot and make chicken stock. Good stuff. up

#6264214 - 04/17/16 05:09 PM Re: Beer Can Chicken [Re: skinnerback]
don k Online   content
THF Trophy Hunter

Loc: Bandera, Tx
Originally Posted By: skinnerback
I take the bird and inject it with whatever marinade I want (garlic butter etc). I put some oil and seasoning in a bowl (I still like Tony's on chicken) and whisk it up until it forms a paste, then I smother the outside of the bird with it. I like using the 16 oz cans because they hold more goodies. I cut the top off and reserve half of the beer. I slice/quarter and stuff in can onion, garlic, bell pepper, serrano pepper, lemon, and cilantro goes on top. Then I add some Tony's & black pepper and top off with beer. Put can in rack, slide on bird. Make sure fat/skin is pulled out on bottom, it will shrink and seal around the can. I stick a small tater or the end of a larger tater in the top hole and pull the skin down over that. Cook on indirect heat with wood of your choice until done. Don't cook too hot or the skin will split and you'll lose juices. Be careful when removing because your fingers can pop/poke into the bird and squirt out hot juices. It's gonna swell up like a tick. food I like to quarter the bird/birds and lay in a pan, then pour the contents of the cans all over the top. It doesn't get more tender/juicy/full of flavor than that! Throw the carcasses in a pot and make chicken stock. Good stuff. up
I know one thing. You sure gotta way with words.

#6264270 - 04/17/16 05:57 PM Re: Beer Can Chicken [Re: don k]
skinnerback Offline
THF Celebrity

Just trying to be descriptive. grin

#6264494 - 04/17/16 08:55 PM Re: Beer Can Chicken [Re: skinnerback]
SnakeWrangler Online   content
THF Celebrity

Loc: Fairfield, TX

....as always.... stir

"Death is permanent...everything else is temporary!"

"You Cannot Simultaneously Be Politically Correct And Intellectually Honest!"

#6264957 - 04/18/16 09:11 AM Re: Beer Can Chicken [Re: skinnerback]
jeh7mmmag Offline
gramps

Loc: Colleyville, DFW, TX

Good job. Going to give this a shot soon as corn start showing up. cheers up

#6264971 - 04/18/16 09:18 AM Re: Beer Can Chicken [Re: Cool Mo D]
Cast Offline
THF Celebrity

Loc: North Texas - God's Country
BTW, you can get special roaster pans just for beer butt chicken, with the can built in. Brine your chicken in sugary salty brine, more salty first, then use a Sprite or Seven Up. Season the chicken however you like, or leave it be. It will be good.

Here's my fave, a cast iron one -

I have a short attention spa

#6264980 - 04/18/16 09:21 AM Re: Beer Can Chicken [Re: Cool Mo D]
jeh7mmmag Offline
gramps

Loc: Colleyville, DFW, TX
Thanks never seen one cheers

#6264988 - 04/18/16 09:22 AM Re: Beer Can Chicken [Re: jeh7mmmag]
skinnerback Offline
THF Celebrity

Thanks. My kids enjoy them done this way as well, and the left overs make great sandwiches.

#6265009 - 04/18/16 09:30 AM Re: Beer Can Chicken [Re: Cast]
skinnerback Offline
THF Celebrity

Originally Posted By: Cast
BTW, you can get special roaster pans just for beer butt chicken, with the can built in. Brine your chicken in sugary salty brine, more salty first, then use a Sprite or Seven Up. Season the chicken however you like, or leave it be. It will be good.

Here's my fave, a cast iron one -

I've never tried the cast iron ones, I've got several other store bought types though that work pretty good. I used to be a tubing hand back in the day and before you could find the racks anywhere at a store we made them out of S/S tubing, those worked good too. I've also cooked a bunch of them with no racks, you just had to be careful, (spread the legs and prop it up/balance just right).

#6265016 - 04/18/16 09:33 AM Re: Beer Can Chicken [Re: Cool Mo D]
PMK Offline
Extreme Tracker

Loc: Central TX (Gtown/Austin)
I've tried several varieties (beer, Dr. Pepper, Root Beer, Sprite, Big Red, etc.) ... my crew prefers Dr. Pepper or Root Beer ... never thought about stuffing stuff into the can (like onion, peppers, spices, etc.) but will likely try that the next time I do some. Injecting seems to hold in moisture, creole or garlic butter. rub down the outside with olive oil, season with favorite spices (sea salt, black pepper, garlic powder, onion powder and smoked paprika are my go-to's). Skinnerback described the process very well!

~PMK~

#6265031 - 04/18/16 09:37 AM Re: Beer Can Chicken [Re: Cool Mo D]
Nitro27 Offline
Bird Dog

Loc: Terrell,TX
Ingredients
Whole chicken
Stubs chicken marinade
12 pack of Dos Equis
Paper sack
Electric smoker

Marinade chicken for 24 hrs. Take the chicken out and put in in the paper sack. Turn on your electric smoker to 225 degrees and put the chicken in the smoker. Drink the beer while the chicken smokes for 4.5 hrs.

I have experimented with the amount of beer and brand and had mixed results. This has been then best combo i have found

#6265033 - 04/18/16 09:39 AM Re: Beer Can Chicken [Re: PMK]
skinnerback Offline
THF Celebrity

Originally Posted By: PMK
I've tried several varieties (beer, Dr. Pepper, Root Beer, Sprite, Big Red, etc.) ... my crew prefers Dr. Pepper or Root Beer ... never thought about stuffing stuff into the can (like onion, peppers, spices, etc.) but will likely try that the next time I do some. Injecting seems to hold in moisture, creole or garlic butter. rub down the outside with olive oil, season with favorite spices (sea salt, black pepper, garlic powder, onion powder and smoked paprika are my go-to's). Skinnerback described the process very well!

up Yes sir, give that a shot. Not only are the veggies good to eat (IMO), you will also steam some of that flavor into the bird. food

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© 2004-2016 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide