Print Thread
Salt Brine Pickle Recipe Needed #6259929 04/14/16 04:53 PM
N
NewGulf Offline OP
THF Celebrity
OP Offline
THF Celebrity
N
anybody got one? havent had any in years and am wanting to make some and maybe pickle some squash and other vegtables too..Thanks

Re: Salt Brine Pickle Recipe Needed [Re: NewGulf] #6260020 04/14/16 05:54 PM
bill oxner Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
I make them every year. I add a jalapeņo and dill. You can put them up in a coffee can or ziplock bag. Pack a couple dozen cucumbers, dill, a garlic clove, and a crushed jalapeņo or two. Bring to boil a brine of two pints water, one pint white vinegar and a half cup of pickling salt. Pour the brine over the cucumbers and leave on the counter until the cucumbers change their color. Refrigerate.

You can cut the cucumbers into spears and pack them into pint jars.

Quail hunting is like walking into, and out of a beautiful painting all day long. Gene Hill

[Linked Image]

Re: Salt Brine Pickle Recipe Needed [Re: NewGulf] #6260058 04/14/16 06:16 PM
P
PMK Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
P
shooting from memory but should be pretty close. 2 Tablespoons salt to one quart of water. chop vegetables into desired size pieces. Collect what pickling spices you prefer, like garlic, onion, dill, course black pepper, red pepper flakes, etc. Add pickling spices to the bottom of a clean quart jar (both of my grandmothers did in gallon jars). Add something leafy to keep vegetables crisp, like oak, mesquite or grape vine leaf (rinsed) but go easy on the numbers as if you get too much it will give a bitter or unpleasant flavor ... maybe one oak leaf OR a TBS mesquite leafs OR one grape vine leaf per quart. Place your chopped vegetable on top of all the spices and leave a little head space on top. Pour brine solution over the vegetables so they are completely covered by at least an inch, more is better but hard to achieve in a quart jar (maybe why my grandmothers used gallon?). Weight down your vegetables so they stay below the brine while fermenting (one of my grandmothers used to thick chop a potato to hold veggies down). Cap the jar tight and store at room temperature. 10 days to 2 weeks is how long we used to let them go before they were ready, burping the lids every day or three depending on how the pressure built up. Then these were moved to cooler storage below 65 degrees (basement or storm cellar or even a refrigerator).

one of my grandmother's pickles were much better than the other but I think it was one used grape vine leaves and the other used oak (and usually put in too many). Once their garden started kicking in and producing more than we could eat fresh, the pickling process would start ... yellow squash, zucchini, cucumbers, green beans (gack!), black eyed peas, etc.

no cooking, no vinegar ...

"everyone that lives dies but not everyone who dies lived..."

~PMK~
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide