Print Thread
Looking for Yellow Lab for stud service. #6256953 04/12/16 06:57 PM
W
WNPHNTR Offline OP
Bird Dog
OP Offline
Bird Dog
W
I've got a three year old female Yellow that I want to get a pup from. This would be her first and only litter, as I'm not in the puppy business.
I'd like to find a proven dog that is a hunter. The more advanced the better.

My dog has fantastic bloodlines, but was purchased under limited registration guidelines. I'm looking to get another family dog that hunts.
Any help would be appreciated. I'm in the Fort Worth area, and she just started spotting 3 days ago, so I need to get something lined up pretty quick.
My (or her) timing was a bit off, so it kind of caught me by surprise. Thought she wouldn't start for a few weeks. Thanks!

I would like to add that I'm not looking for anything free. I'm willing to pay whatever the rate is for the sire.
I'm looking for an accomplished, good looking dog. I lost my sire in an accident and am forced to look elsewhere.I've had Labs for over 30 years. The breeders that I have worked with in the past are out of state, and I'd like to find someone local. Thanks again.

Re: Looking for Yellow Lab for stud service. [Re: WNPHNTR] #6258317 04/13/16 05:30 PM
T
Troubador Offline
Tracker
Tracker
T
why did breeder do limited registration... thats usually done for a reason. better look at the breeders contract. you can be sued if you breed a dog that was sold under limited registration

Re: Looking for Yellow Lab for stud service. [Re: WNPHNTR] #6258450 04/13/16 07:02 PM
A
Angie B Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
A
Slow down,,,,, Have you had any of her health clearances done yet? You won't find a reputable titled stud without her having them. Plus you really don't want to breed anything unless you know what you're dealing with health wise do you? With her being registered with a limited registration that means you cannot register the litter. Are you comfortable with that.

Don't be in a rush. Do it right. Otherwise you're just part of the problem.

Angie

"Developing the Potential"
www.tiogaretrievers.com
Re: Looking for Yellow Lab for stud service. [Re: Angie B] #6258722 04/13/16 09:56 PM
W
WNPHNTR Offline OP
Bird Dog
OP Offline
Bird Dog
W
No I haven't had any of her health clearances done yet due to the fact that none of the pups would be sold. She's obviously under regular Vet care but I know what you mean as far as the clearances go.I didn't think that they would be a requirement for what I'm wanting, which is just to get a pup from my own dog.
As far as why the breeder I got her from sold her under limited registration, it was my understanding that that was to prevent people from profiting off his lines. I could be wrong. This is my first limited registration dog.

I'm not trying to do anything illegal or wrong here. I'll contact the breeder and see what they say.
As far as not being able to register the litter, I understand that. I'm actually looking at it as this would be my last Lab to get period, and this pup and my current dog would be spayed.

Re: Looking for Yellow Lab for stud service. [Re: WNPHNTR] #6258737 04/13/16 10:07 PM
M
maximumintensityretriever Offline
Tracker
Tracker
M
Most breeders do want to protect their lines but it has nothing to do with you profiting or not. Most will lift the limited once you have done all of the health clearances. Some go further and require a title on the dog before they will lift the limited. It's becoming more and more common as breeders want to protect the lines that they have spent years of hard work and money producing. They also want to better the breed. In other words it is to prevent people from doing what you are planning to do, breed unproven stock.

Tony Marshall
Maximum Intensity Retrievers
https://m.facebook.com/maximumintensity.retrievers
(903) 720-6842
Re: Looking for Yellow Lab for stud service. [Re: WNPHNTR] #6258748 04/13/16 10:13 PM
S
scalebuster Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
S
Originally Posted By: WNPHNTR
No I haven't had any of her health clearances done yet due to the fact that none of the pups would be sold. She's obviously under regular Vet care but I know what you mean as far as the clearances go.I didn't think that they would be a requirement for what I'm wanting, which is just to get a pup from my own dog.
As far as why the breeder I got her from sold her under limited registration, it was my understanding that that was to prevent people from profiting off his lines. I could be wrong. This is my first limited registration dog.

I'm not trying to do anything illegal or wrong here. I'll contact the breeder and see what they say.
As far as not being able to register the litter, I understand that. I'm actually looking at it as this would be my last Lab to get period, and this pup and my current dog would be spayed.

You shouldn't have to explain yourself to anyone. Your obviously a grown man that's had labs for 30 years. I don't think you need some chick telling you to slow down or that your part of a "Problem." If you want to hook up with a THF member and breed your dogs do what you want to. I think her problem is she sees a man breeding his own dogs and giving his friends one, like we did in the old days, is taking $800 out of her pocket. If I had a yella lab I would sure take you up on the offer. It's amazing we used to keep ourselves in bird dogs before we had professional breeders telling us how it should be done.

Re: Looking for Yellow Lab for stud service. [Re: scalebuster] #6258940 04/14/16 12:00 AM
A
Angie B Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
A
Hip dysplasia, elbow dysplasia, PRA, EIC, CNM, genetic eye issues.. Who would breed a litter without knowing what their breeding is not affected by these common labrador issues??

If you don't do the clearances and the puppies have issues? Who is responsible?

Angie

www.tiogaretrievers.com
Re: Looking for Yellow Lab for stud service. [Re: Angie B] #6259046 04/14/16 01:09 AM
W
WNPHNTR Offline OP
Bird Dog
OP Offline
Bird Dog
W
I've talked with the Labrador breeders who I bought my dog from under limited registration guidelines.
They know me, and they know my circumstances, and they know where the pups will go to, which are members of my family, and that they will not be used for breeding. They are completely fine with it.

Yes, health clearances as far as dysplasia, eyes, hips, etc. are important, but there are other problems and diseases that you can't predict or test for that are just as if not more destructive.
I had one dog that was continually and severely hampered by hot spots and skin lesions that no Vet could heal. I've dealt with cancer and diabetes. And all these dogs came from "Titled" and "Champion" bloodlines.

Show me a dog that comes from somebody's kitchen and will sit at heel shaking like they're frozen until you tell them to go , and I'm in.

Re: Looking for Yellow Lab for stud service. [Re: WNPHNTR] #6259090 04/14/16 01:34 AM
A
Angie B Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
A
I've talked with the Labrador breeders who I bought my dog from under limited registration guidelines.
They know me, and they know my circumstances, and they know where the pups will go to, which are members of my family, and that they will not be used for breeding. They are completely fine with it.

Yes, health clearances as far as dysplasia, eyes, hips, etc. are important, but there are other problems and diseases that you can't predict or test for that are just as if not more destructive.
I had one dog that was continually and severely hampered by hot spots and skin lesions that no Vet could heal. I've dealt with cancer and diabetes. And all these dogs came from "Titled" and "Champion" bloodlines.

Show me a dog that comes from somebody's kitchen and will sit at heel shaking like they're frozen until you tell them to go , and I'm in.

I call BS... Good luck with that...

Angie

www.tiogaretrievers.com
Re: Looking for Yellow Lab for stud service. [Re: WNPHNTR] #6259130 04/14/16 01:50 AM
T
Troubador Offline
Tracker
Tracker
T
you said your dog has fantastic bloodlines, would you tell me some of the dogs in the first 2,3 generations.

Re: Looking for Yellow Lab for stud service. [Re: Troubador] #6259133 04/14/16 01:51 AM
A
Angie B Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
A
Originally Posted By: Troubador
you said your dog has fantastic bloodlines, would you tell me some of the dogs in the first 2,3 generations.

It doesn't matter. Without clearances the rest is meaningless.

Angie

www.tiogaretrievers.com
Re: Looking for Yellow Lab for stud service. [Re: Angie B] #6259185 04/14/16 02:24 AM
W
WNPHNTR Offline OP
Bird Dog
OP Offline
Bird Dog
W
Like you.

Re: Looking for Yellow Lab for stud service. [Re: WNPHNTR] #6259247 04/14/16 03:12 AM
B
BradyBuck Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
B
Yes, there are other health issues dogs can develop that aren't tested for. However, I believe the responsible thing to do is to get your dog cleared of the things that can be tested for.

I would like to know why your dog has limited registration?

You are going to have a hard time finding permission from the owner of a proven stud.

Most of the good stud owners out there require the dam to have at least a HR title and most a HRCH or MH.

A guy from my HRC has a really nice HR female with all health clearances and is still having to get a HRCH to get approved to use a certain sought after stud.

If my pup turns out to be everything I think she can be id like to have her bred. I won't do it until she's gained her HRCH or MH and has hips, eyes and elbows certs as well as EIC, PRA and CNM clearances

Last edited by BradyBuck; 04/14/16 03:21 AM.

HRCH Washita's Kimber Locked N Loaded
GRHRCH Firefly's Rally The Troops MH
Re: Looking for Yellow Lab for stud service. [Re: scalebuster] #6259295 04/14/16 03:48 AM
B
bobcat1 Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
B
Originally Posted By: scalebuster

You shouldn't have to explain yourself to anyone. Your obviously a grown man that's had labs for 30 years. I don't think you need some chick telling you to slow down or that your part of a "Problem." If you want to hook up with a THF member and breed your dogs do what you want to. I think her problem is she sees a man breeding his own dogs and giving his friends one, like we did in the old days, is taking $800 out of her pocket. If I had a yella lab I would sure take you up on the offer. It's amazing we used to keep ourselves in bird dogs before we had professional breeders telling us how it should be done.
I have to agree with you. I understand the health clearances and why that is important. I can tell you I will never buy a dog with a limited registration.... ever. If I want a pup out of a dog I own I am not going to have anyone I bought that dog from with my money telling me if or when I can breed it. To me it's just like damn home owners associations.

Bobby Barnett

Re: Looking for Yellow Lab for stud service. [Re: WNPHNTR] #6259360 04/14/16 10:05 AM
B
Bruin Offline
Light Foot
Light Foot
B
WNPHNTR
IF I were you I would go ahead and find a sire for your female if want to.
For you this not a business and you just want another good Lab.
Some duck hunter will come along with a good sire

Re: Looking for Yellow Lab for stud service. [Re: Bruin] #6259652 04/14/16 02:33 PM
W
WNPHNTR Offline OP
Bird Dog
OP Offline
Bird Dog
W
Thanks to those who supported me on this.
And yes I have found someone to help me out.

Re: Looking for Yellow Lab for stud service. [Re: WNPHNTR] #6270734 04/22/16 02:19 AM
B
BowsnRods Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
B
I would be interested in a puppy if this happens, we just lost our chocolate lab of 10 yrs she developed inoperable or treatable cancer, My 6 yr old yellow lab is taking it very hard as are we. I like how you ask for direction or help and someone jumps in and tells you that you are not allowed to do that, she must be a democrat!

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide