45 Forums
476157 Topics
6246268 Posts

Max Online: 16728 @ 03/25/12 08:51 AM
Topic Options
#6256499 - 04/12/16 07:45 AM An Adventure in the Woods
Lord of furry creatures Offline
Outdoorsman

I had the coolest experience about 2 weeks ago when I was trotting through the forest (or swamp) behind my house. As the sun steadily set, I could see everything in a different light. It was at that point, where there were long shadows, and beautifully streaked cirrus clouds, lining the sky to form a pink hue. Everything was green, with the flowers still on the pear tree. It was a picture. The only thing holding this place back from being a wedding location was the intensely thick mud. So as I walked along, blocking the sun from my eyes, I spotted a very odd looking orange fungus on a fallen tree. The closer I got, the more of a shape the fungus took, and it started to appear like a bobcat! From what I could see, there was a sleeping bobcat in the tree, which was parallel to the ground because it had not fallen all the way. Considering the tree was about ten feet off the ground, I debated whether the shot was safe or not, and then I remembered the effective range of a .410 slug, and got ready for a shot. I was at a bad angle, where I was looking in between two trees, to see only the head of the beautiful cat. So I hobbled through the knee high brush like a ninja, and the minute I started the lift the shotgun, the cat looked up, and started to run. It was truly a beautiful animal. That didn't stop me! I took the shot faster that you could say the word stupid, and missed by a country mile. Nevertheless, it was an adventure.

#6256608 - 04/12/16 09:04 AM Re: An Adventure in the Woods [Re: Lord of furry creatures]
Cast Offline
THF Celebrity

Loc: North Texas - God's Country
Great Story! It's called hunting for a reason.

I have a short attention spa

#6256674 - 04/12/16 10:04 AM Re: An Adventure in the Woods [Re: Lord of furry creatures]
Dalee7892 Online   content
Tracker

Loc: Denton County
I guess you weren't such a Ninja. Lol

#6256725 - 04/12/16 10:49 AM Re: An Adventure in the Woods [Re: Dalee7892]
SnakeWrangler Online   content
THF Celebrity

Loc: Fairfield, TX
Originally Posted By: Dalee7892
I guess you weren't such a Ninja. Lol
clap

Great experience for sure....

"Death is permanent...everything else is temporary!"

"You Cannot Simultaneously Be Politically Correct And Intellectually Honest!"

#6257434 - 04/12/16 07:19 PM Re: An Adventure in the Woods [Re: Lord of furry creatures]
Marc in Bastrop Online   content
Tracker

Loc: Bastrop County
Originally Posted By: Lord of furry creatures
I had the coolest experience about 2 weeks ago when I was trotting through the forest (or swamp) behind my house. As the sun steadily set, I could see everything in a different light. It was at that point, where there were long shadows, and beautifully streaked cirrus clouds, lining the sky to form a pink hue. Everything was green, with the flowers still on the pear tree. It was a picture. The only thing holding this place back from being a wedding location was the intensely thick mud. So as I walked along, blocking the sun from my eyes, I spotted a very odd looking orange fungus on a fallen tree. The closer I got, the more of a shape the fungus took,

and it started to appear like a bobcat! From what I could see, there was a sleeping bobcat in the tree, which was parallel to the ground because it had not fallen all the way. Considering the tree was about ten feet off the ground, I debated whether the shot was safe or not, and then I remembered the effective range of a .410 slug, and got ready for a shot. I was at a bad angle, where I was looking in between two trees, to see only the head of the beautiful cat. So I hobbled through the knee high brush like a ninja, and the minute I started the lift the shotgun, the cat looked up, and started to run. It was truly a beautiful animal. That didn't stop me! I took the shot faster that you could say the word stupid, and missed by a country mile. Nevertheless, it was an adventure.

Were you picking wild mushrooms by any chance?

#6257580 - 04/12/16 09:00 PM Re: An Adventure in the Woods [Re: Lord of furry creatures]
Lord of furry creatures Offline
Outdoorsman

no..is this a thing?

#6257712 - 04/12/16 10:46 PM Re: An Adventure in the Woods [Re: Lord of furry creatures]
Kawabuggy Offline
Pro Tracker

Loc: Houston, TX
I might be the only one that is happy the cat got away.

#6257721 - 04/12/16 10:55 PM Re: An Adventure in the Woods [Re: Lord of furry creatures]
IamMr2 Offline
Woodsman

Dude, I went to Woodstock too. Get the flashbacks every once in a while. Enjoy 'em. laugh

#6257800 - 04/13/16 05:49 AM Re: An Adventure in the Woods [Re: IamMr2]
flintknapper Online   content
Tracker

Loc: Deep East Texas
Originally Posted By: IamMr2
Dude, I went to Woodstock too. Get the flashbacks every once in a while. Enjoy 'em. laugh

roflmao

© 2004-2016 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide