Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Eastern turkey season [Re: Tjack28] #6271676 04/22/16 08:57 PM
A
ALM TXhunter Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
A
Originally Posted By: Yellowhammer
Just pointing it out since it was new for this year, and some people may not be aware of it.

Originally Posted By: Tjack28
We hunted hard last week ans a couple of us came close but no cigar. We located a hot bird Thursday before the opener and for whatever reason everyone wanted to hunt close to the area I generally hunt, so because it was a little distance I couldn't get any of the guys who do back and hunt that hot bird the next morning. That bugged me so I sent another biddy from the forum over to the area, but I think they got a late start and when they got there another hunter was walking out of the area with what I believe to be the hot bird we called to. In the area I usually hunt, one of the guys heard a faint gobble the evening before the opener and we found a few tracks. We spit in about 5 different directions and I hunted with a first timer and we only heard one gobble opening morning. Hunted a different area that evening and heard nothing no we went back to my usual hot spot the next morning. We heard another gobbler on the roost and later worked another gobbler who was answering me and another guys call. We were talking to a bunch of hens and he was coming with them, and just at the last minute they got spooked and shut down. After everyone but me and one other guy left we got some fishing done and caught some catfish, then went to another spot in the woods. We hunted not too far apart but far enough that with the forest cover and hills we couldn't hear one another call, so when I heard 2 or 3 different gobblers he never heard them. There were a lot of hens around and it was close to time to go to roost, so about 7p.m. I got up and walking knowing nothing was coming in spite on all the gobbling and responses I got, so I walked a good way in and fount several birds going up to roost. Too bad I wasn't able to hunt the next morning ..else I would've had a bird. Planning on going back soon so hope no one else has ventured deep into this knew area...looks like no one has traveled back that far in a while so we shall see...

Good luck on your next outing Terrance! I am planning a day trip before the end of the season, but won't be anywhere near your honey hole or other spots you showed me. Need to do a little more research before I finalize plans....

Re: Eastern turkey season [Re: ALM TXhunter] #6273008 04/24/16 03:16 AM
T
Tjack28 Offline OP
Tracker
OP Offline
Tracker
T
Don't know if you're thinking about going where you and I wanted to go after all the locals and the game wardens were telling us that's where they were seeing all the birds. I was thinking about researching checking out some of those areas up there myself at some point...Met a few hunters at the check stations last couple of years who saw and harvested a lot of birds up there. Was just too spoiled to leave from where I've been successful hunting the past couple of years...

Originally Posted By: ALM TXhunter

Good luck on your next outing Terrance! I am planning a day trip before the end of the season, but won't be anywhere near your honey hole or other spots you showed me. Need to do a little more research before I finalize plans....

T. Jackson
NWTF, Harris County Wildlife Group
P.O. Box 91227
Houston, TX 77088
http://www.facebook.com/pages/NWTF-Harris-County-Wildlife-Group/111234152254353
Re: Eastern turkey season [Re: Tjack28] #6273929 04/25/16 02:28 AM
A
ALM TXhunter Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
A
Don't know if you're thinking about going where you and I wanted to go after all the locals and the game wardens were telling us that's where they were seeing all the birds. I was thinking about researching checking out some of those areas up there myself at some point...Met a few hunters at the check stations last couple of years who saw and harvested a lot of birds up there. Was just too spoiled to leave from where I've been successful hunting the past couple of years...

I thought about that hard, but thinking it may be too pressured, especially for a basic turkey hunter as myself. I have to make a few phone calls first and then I will get your take on it. Albert mentioned on the ride home that he wanted to go back up one more time this season before it got too hot for him.

Re: Eastern turkey season [Re: Tjack28] #6275396 04/26/16 11:45 AM
P
Pineyridge2 Offline
Green Horn
Green Horn
P
Anybody doing any good? I got a tom on the second day of season in Nacogdoches county. Never turkey hunted in my life. We have a bunch on our land this year so I gave it a shot. A buddy of mine called him in he weighed 20 lbs and had a 11 1/4 inch beard. Now Im hooked.

Re: Eastern turkey season [Re: Tjack28] #6275425 04/26/16 12:13 PM
P
Pineyridge2 Offline
Green Horn
Green Horn
P

Re: Eastern turkey season [Re: Tjack28] #6275427 04/26/16 12:13 PM
P
Pineyridge2 Offline
Green Horn
Green Horn
P
Sorry guys trying to remember how to do this. But this is my Turkey.

Re: Eastern turkey season [Re: Tjack28] #6275429 04/26/16 12:14 PM
P
Pineyridge2 Offline
Green Horn
Green Horn
P
Sorry guys trying to remember how to do this. But this is my Turkey.

Re: Eastern turkey season [Re: Tjack28] #6275596 04/26/16 02:18 PM
G
Gamblinman Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
G
clap

" I don't hunt turkeys because I want to, I hunt turkeys because I have to."
Re: Eastern turkey season [Re: Pineyridge2] #6276087 04/26/16 08:20 PM
A
ALM TXhunter Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
A
Originally Posted By: Pineyridge2

Congrats on your first bird!

Re: Eastern turkey season [Re: Tjack28] #6290338 05/07/16 11:56 AM
T
Tjack28 Offline OP
Tracker
OP Offline
Tracker
T
Had to go back to the honey hole and work on those birds I roosted a few weeks ago. Glad I did else I wouldn't have been able to harvest my third public land eastern three years in a row. Sat from 8a.m. until almost 11:30 without hearing a thing and once I decided to call one more time he gobbled from right behind me. I kept calling until I could tell he was walking in my direction and before he got in range enough to see I got in position and aimed my shotgun in the direction of my decoys. I see a head stick out from knee high grass towards my decoy setup and realized it was a hen he'd been following. I could hear him spitting and drumming from my left flank and before long he was at my decoys picking a fight. I had to stay still while aiming my shotgun in that direction because the hen was just feet in from of me. Pulled the trigger at the first opportunity and he staggered forward and ran off in the direction he came from and dropped 15 yards. Hen stood there until I stood up and she took off. Walked out with him a good ways back to the truck and although worn out I was happy!

Last edited by Tjack28; 05/07/16 06:18 PM.

T. Jackson
P.O. Box 91227
Houston, TX 77088
Re: Eastern turkey season [Re: Tjack28] #6290341 05/07/16 12:00 PM
T
Tjack28 Offline OP
Tracker
OP Offline
Tracker
T
While walking out with my bird there was an explosion of wing beats at my feet that scared the crap out of me. After I saw it was a hen flying up from the ferns I saw this...hoping she comes back so we can have a few more birds out there next couple of years...

T. Jackson
P.O. Box 91227
Houston, TX 77088
Re: Eastern turkey season [Re: Tjack28] #6290361 05/07/16 12:32 PM
G
Gamblinman Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
G
clap

Re: Eastern turkey season [Re: Tjack28] #6290404 05/07/16 01:37 PM
A
ALM TXhunter Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
A
Had to go back to the honey hole and work on those birds I roosted a few weeks ago. Glad I did else I wouldn't have been able to harvest my third public land eastern three years in a row. Sat from 8a.m. until almost 11:30 without hearing a thing and once I decided to call one more time he gobbled from right behind me. I kept calling until I could tell he was walking in my direction and before he got in range enough to see I got in position and aimed my shotgun in the direction of my decoys. I see a head stick out from knee high grass towards my decoy setup and realized it was a hen he'd been following. I could hear him spitting and drumming from my left flank and before long he was at my decoys picking a fight. I had to stay still while aiming my shotgun in that direction because the hen was just feet in from of me. Pulled the trigger at the first opportunity and he staggered forward and ran off in the direction he came from and dropped 15 yards. Hen stood there until I stood up and see took off.

Awesome job Terrance!!! and thanks for the neat write-up. banana

Re: Eastern turkey season [Re: ALM TXhunter] #6290650 05/07/16 06:22 PM
T
Tjack28 Offline OP
Tracker
OP Offline
Tracker
T
Had to go back to the honey hole and work on those birds I roosted a few weeks ago. Glad I did else I wouldn't have been able to harvest my third public land eastern three years in a row. Sat from 8a.m. until almost 11:30 without hearing a thing and once I decided to call one more time he gobbled from right behind me. I kept calling until I could tell he was walking in my direction and before he got in range enough to see I got in position and aimed my shotgun in the direction of my decoys. I see a head stick out from knee high grass towards my decoy setup and realized it was a hen he'd been following. I could hear him spitting and drumming from my left flank and before long he was at my decoys picking a fight. I had to stay still while aiming my shotgun in that direction because the hen was just feet in from of me. Pulled the trigger at the first opportunity and he staggered forward and ran off in the direction he came from and dropped 15 yards. Hen stood there until I stood up and see took off.

Awesome job Terrance!!! and thanks for the neat write-up. banana

So what did you see down further south?

T. Jackson
P.O. Box 91227
Houston, TX 77088
Re: Eastern turkey season [Re: Tjack28] #6290857 05/07/16 10:26 PM
A
ALM TXhunter Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
A
I found a place I really liked that I set up in. It was 'alive' with lots of animal activity. I thought I heard a few hens and a gobbler in the afternoon, but couldn't call anything in. Most of the places I saw driving around were thick pine woods interspersed with some oaks with very poor visibility. I think it is worth another try next season, with a little more scouting done in the off-season.

Did anyone else in your group see or hear anything?

Re: Eastern turkey season [Re: ALM TXhunter] #6290926 05/08/16 12:16 AM
T
Tjack28 Offline OP
Tracker
OP Offline
Tracker
T
Ended up going by myself...the gobbler I shot was the only one I heard that day as opposed to the last time I was there and heard two or three. One thing about the land you're hunting they periodically do thinnings and cut overs out there. I'd look for the most recent clear cut or thinned areas as that is where the birds will frequent in early morning hours. If the majority of the forest you're hunting is too thick for you to walk through then chances are the birds won't want to walk through it either...

I found a place I really liked that I set up in. It was 'alive' with lots of animal activity. I thought I heard a few hens and a gobbler in the afternoon, but couldn't call anything in. Most of the places I saw driving around were thick pine woods interspersed with some oaks with very poor visibility. I think it is worth another try next season, with a little more scouting done in the off-season.

Did anyone else in your group see or hear anything?

T. Jackson
P.O. Box 91227
Houston, TX 77088
Re: Eastern turkey season [Re: Tjack28] #6291007 05/08/16 01:41 AM
A
ALM TXhunter Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
A
Good point Tjack. On Google Earth there were areas that looked cleared out, but when I got there I saw that they had been planted with new pine trees which had grown to about 10 ft or taller. Looked like an absolute nightmare trying to walk through those sections, so I didn't and stayed on the edges. Not sure when images are updated in Google Earth (or if ever), but they had to be a few years old. Is there a better online tool comparable to Google Earth that is better for hunters and fishers?

Re: Eastern turkey season [Re: ALM TXhunter] #6291409 05/08/16 05:15 PM
T
Tjack28 Offline OP
Tracker
OP Offline
Tracker
T
Well if you recall that was our problem with a few of the spots I wanted to scout on our last group trip up. Google Earth hadn't been updated and we were going to to places at the edges of what were supposed to be clear cuts and there was 10-20 foot young pines. That's why we only hunted 2 or 3 areas I was familiar with, but where you were hunting you just have to drive that area because the last time I hunted there it had a lot of clear cut areas and they do it several times a year on different sections of the area. Google maps and google earth are the only two I use, but maybe someone else on here knows of something that stays more up to date.

Good point Tjack. On Google Earth there were areas that looked cleared out, but when I got there I saw that they had been planted with new pine trees which had grown to about 10 ft or taller. Looked like an absolute nightmare trying to walk through those sections, so I didn't and stayed on the edges. Not sure when images are updated in Google Earth (or if ever), but they had to be a few years old. Is there a better online tool comparable to Google Earth that is better for hunters and fishers?

T. Jackson
P.O. Box 91227
Houston, TX 77088
Re: Eastern turkey season [Re: Tjack28] #6291493 05/08/16 06:44 PM
G
Gamblinman Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
G
Did a scouting trip this morning in Red River County and found 3 toms, one gobbled till nearly 9 AM this morning. Have to see what the weather holds for tomorrow, but plan to hunt at least a couple of days this week.

Gman

Re: Eastern turkey season [Re: Gamblinman] #6291897 05/09/16 03:01 AM
T
Tjack28 Offline OP
Tracker
OP Offline
Tracker
T
Well post pics when you get him...

Originally Posted By: Gamblinman
Did a scouting trip this morning in Red River County and found 3 toms, one gobbled till nearly 9 AM this morning. Have to see what the weather holds for tomorrow, but plan to hunt at least a couple of days this week.

Gman

T. Jackson
P.O. Box 91227
Houston, TX 77088
Re: Eastern turkey season [Re: Tjack28] #6293656 05/10/16 05:03 PM
G
Gamblinman Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
G
No Texas Eastern for me this year. After the storms that ravaged Red River County last night, I can't get close to the birds. Not a gobble was heard this morning. Neighbors rain gauge showed 5.50" of rain last night.

Gman

Re: Eastern turkey season [Re: Gamblinman] #6295976 05/12/16 04:29 AM
T
Tjack28 Offline OP
Tracker
OP Offline
Tracker
T
Man that sucks...hate to hear that. One of our committee guys went near my honey hole area on the national forest yesterday and after the rain he was working a gobbler and saw him in the distance coming his way. Soon after he heard something and a guy on a 4 wheeler came riding through the woods and scared it off. Bad thing about it is that it's not legal to ride a 4 wheeler on the national forest. He confronted the guy and asked him what he was doing and he came up with a lie about he heard a tree had fallen on their fence and was going in to check the damage. Thing is he's leasing paper company land and there's only a scraggly old 2-3 foot wire fence that somewhat separates the forest from the private and it's actually been down in spots for years and unfit for keeping anything in or out. They've torn the ground up on the forest side of the fence with the 4 wheelers sneaking in on the back of the forest. Our guy reported it to the local game warden and I called forest service law enforcement. Makes no sense to be on a lease and being greedy and illegally driving your 4 wheeler onto the national forest trying to get the best of both worlds and blowing the public hunters hunt by driving in from the private side...

Originally Posted By: Gamblinman
No Texas Eastern for me this year. After the storms that ravaged Red River County last night, I can't get close to the birds. Not a gobble was heard this morning. Neighbors rain gauge showed 5.50" of rain last night.

Gman

T. Jackson
P.O. Box 91227
Houston, TX 77088
Re: Eastern turkey season [Re: Pineyridge2] #6312251 05/26/16 03:47 PM
K
KILLER MILLER Offline
Light Foot
Light Foot
K