Forum Statistics
Forums46
Topics537,031
Posts9,719,623
Members86,989
Most Online25,604
Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Slow Killing Using All Copper Bullets with Suggested Alternative #6253842 04/10/16 02:03 AM
H
Hunter Gatherer Offline OP
Woodsman
OP Offline
Woodsman
H
Guys, I came across this article with a video (link posted below) regarding lead bans and how all copper bullets can lead to slow killing. I think that the context of the article is in reference to banning lead ammunition without a good alternative. Curious of your opinions:

http://www.ballisticstudies.com/Knowledgebase/Copper+bullets+can+be+inhumane.html

I've not used all copper bullets except on one Nilgai hunt, but I know for folks in some states, the alternative ammo discussed here might be a solution.

Re: Slow Killing Using All Copper Bullets with Suggested Alternative [Re: Hunter Gatherer] #6254373 04/10/16 05:31 PM
C
ChadTRG42 Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
C
What's the agenda of the article? What was it written for, and what are those reasons? Who is it to benefit? That article is simply that, an article. I got out of it that shot placement was the deciding factor. And I've spoken to bullet companies that make compressed metal core ammo (a compressed metal powder, non leaded), and they do not recommend them on game. They are designed to literally go "poof" when it hits something. Again, same questions from above??

[Linked Image]
Custom and Precision Ammunition!!
https://DallasReloads.com/
Type 01 and Type 06 FFL
Re: Slow Killing Using All Copper Bullets with Suggested Alternative [Re: Hunter Gatherer] #6254383 04/10/16 05:48 PM
R
RiverRider Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
R
Looked like more of an ad than an article to me.

[Linked Image]

"Arguing with you always makes me thirsty."

-Augustus McRae
Re: Slow Killing Using All Copper Bullets with Suggested Alternative [Re: ChadTRG42] #6254455 04/10/16 06:51 PM
H
Hunter Gatherer Offline OP
Woodsman
OP Offline
Woodsman
H
Originally Posted By: ChadTRG42
What's the agenda of the article? What was it written for, and what are those reasons? Who is it to benefit? That article is simply that, an article. I got out of it that shot placement was the deciding factor. And I've spoken to bullet companies that make compressed metal core ammo (a compressed metal powder, non leaded), and they do not recommend them on game. They are designed to literally go "poof" when it hits something. Again, same questions from above??

I think that it must be taken in the context of an alternative or a choice to full copper ammunition when hunting in areas where lead is banned. I don't think that anyone can argue that cup and core bullets shed weight when they enter an animal, and that's a good thing. Bonded bullets like Nosler Partitions also shed weight, but at a lower rate. All copper projectiles shed almost no weight, and thus the permanent wound channel isn't always as large. No doubt copper works well in many situations. Nobody can argue that, but isn't it OK to have another choice in areas where lead is banned? I hope that doesn't ever happen in Texas where I mostly hunt. However, if I lived in California (God help me), I wouldn't want to be stuck with all copper bullets for every situation.

With regard to them going "poof", and not being recommended for hunting, I first found out about these projectiles from a video on YouTube of these guys killing Nilgai with this projectile with 223's; 30-06; and 300 Win Mag on the El Canelo Ranch. I won't link to it here but if you're interested you can find it easily on YouTube. They certainly work as advertised. Again, the context is an alternative to full copper when lead is not an option. That's all.

Re: Slow Killing Using All Copper Bullets with Suggested Alternative [Re: Hunter Gatherer] #6255425 04/11/16 04:23 PM
B
bside Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
B
anecdotal evidence would suggest that you need to be pushing all copper bullets at 3000++ fps if you want good results

Re: Slow Killing Using All Copper Bullets with Suggested Alternative [Re: bside] #6255709 04/11/16 08:12 PM
R
redchevy Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
R
Originally Posted By: bside
anecdotal evidence would suggest that you need to be pushing all copper bullets at 3000++ fps if you want good results

In my experience the faster the better and it is always good to hit something hard, like straight through the middle of the shoulders, copper/guilding metal bullets, in my experience, perform erratically when shot though the ribs.

It's hell eatin em live
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide