Most Online25,604
Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
One that got away... #6253313 04/09/16 07:14 PM
Double Naught Spy Online Happy OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Online Happy
THF Trophy Hunter

No hog recovery this time despite a goodly amount of blood. Shot the hog through the neck and while there was a stumble and spurting of blood after the shot went through (not spray from the shot itself), the hog took off. The second was where I aimed, but either the shot passed through with no result, or it passed behind the hog. It would not be unexpected for a low body 2nd impact to yield little immediate result, but the shot looked late. Shot three was a low miss.

During the run, two globs seem fall from the hog and do not appear to be excrement. Both seemed to dissipate when hitting the ground. Blood or body tissue? Stomach contents? Don't know. Did not see them at the time and never looked for a blood trail in the shooting area. Instead, picked up the the blood trail further up the path where the hog was last seen.

Despite a long blood trail, it started petering out among the briar and poison ivy as I was crawling on my hands and knees on varmint trails under very low branches. Mr. TBR (landowner) had reached a stopping point and was providing a light for me to find my way back and when I reached the point where I could not make out his light anymore is when I finally gave up.

It was pretty interesting, inside of 30 minutes of being shot and laying down the blood trail, ants had found the blood. Often, finding the blood was a matter of finding the ants.

Hoping for word of buzzards congregating in the thicket behind Mr. TBR's home.

And there you have it.

Hogdalorian - Si vis pacem cum sus, para bellum.
My Videos https://www.youtube.com/user/HornHillRange
Re: One that got away... [Re: Double Naught Spy] #6253730 04/10/16 12:50 AM
T
Texas buckeye Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
Last time out my son shot one and he dropped, rolled and started the death kick, he kept shooting at other hogs in that sounded so I moved away from that downed hog and watched him drop one that was down for the count....went back and that hog which he hit first was no where to be seen. Tough little suckers!

Love your videos. Hoping to have something within the next month or so to put up if the animals cooperate and the gear does the same.

Re: One that got away... [Re: Double Naught Spy] #6253810 04/10/16 01:42 AM
F
flintknapper Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
F

Rats.........!

Can't get them all I guess.

I like Berger bullets, but for hogs in 6.5 I'd be going with the Barnes:

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/851650/...-free-box-of-50

Keep after 'em. Great Video as always.

Flint.

Spartans ask not...how many, but where!
Re: One that got away... [Re: Double Naught Spy] #6253835 04/10/16 01:58 AM
R
rogerh Offline
Tracker
Tracker
R
Great video as usual.
I bet that pig is out of commission for good by now.

Re: One that got away... [Re: Double Naught Spy] #6253867 04/10/16 02:24 AM
Double Naught Spy Online Happy OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Online Happy
THF Trophy Hunter
Hey flint, I was asked to give them a try and I am willing to give it a reasonable shot. I am still quite happy with Hornady SST. Maybe if I was shooting 300-800 yards, the Berger would really shine? To be honest, I think the velocity from Grendel is a bit too low to get the real potential out of the Berger bullets. I bet they would be a hoot out of 6.5 Creedmore @ 3000 fps.

I like the Barnes bullets (tried them in 2 other calibers) and if I found somebody who did them in factory Grendel ammo at a reasonable price, I might go that route. Right now, it is hard for me to really justify actually changing from SST. It is relatively inexpensive as far as hunting ammo goes, but performs really well for me. If I am going to spend more money, I want more performance to make it worthwhile.

Hogdalorian - Si vis pacem cum sus, para bellum.
My Videos https://www.youtube.com/user/HornHillRange
Re: One that got away... [Re: Double Naught Spy] #6254314 04/10/16 04:36 PM
B
bigjoe8565 Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
B
That sucks. Looked like a good shot to me. Maybe the buzzards will find him.

Re: One that got away... [Re: Double Naught Spy] #6254384 04/10/16 05:49 PM
F
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
F
Originally Posted By: Double Naught Spy
Hey flint, I was asked to give them a try and I am willing to give it a reasonable shot. I am still quite happy with Hornady SST. Maybe if I was shooting 300-800 yards, the Berger would really shine? To be honest, I think the velocity from Grendel is a bit too low to get the real potential out of the Berger bullets. I bet they would be a hoot out of 6.5 Creedmore @ 3000 fps.

I like the Barnes bullets (tried them in 2 other calibers) and if I found somebody who did them in factory Grendel ammo at a reasonable price, I might go that route. Right now, it is hard for me to really justify actually changing from SST. It is relatively inexpensive as far as hunting ammo goes, but performs really well for me. If I am going to spend more money, I want more performance to make it worthwhile.

Yeah, the SST or a Accubond are hard to beat. You hit that hog good, I was surprised to see him get away.

It doesn't speak badly of the Berger bullet (one sample), I just think better bullets are available for your purpose (relatively short range hunting, modest velocity at the target).

Good of you to test them and report.

Re: One that got away... [Re: Double Naught Spy] #6254556 04/10/16 09:22 PM
D
der Teufel Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
D
Obviously you can't win them all, and it looks like this one should have gone down sooner. But as Texas buckeye noted, sometimes they go down and still get back up and disappear. As the sports fans say, "Wait 'til next time!"

Right now I'm out of action for a couple of months with a broken leg, so I'm hunting vicariously through your videos. Keep it up.

I have two unwritten rules:
Re: One that got away... [Re: der Teufel] #6254780 04/11/16 01:12 AM
F
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
F
Originally Posted By: der Teufel
Obviously you can't win them all, and it looks like this one should have gone down sooner. But as Texas buckeye noted, sometimes they go down and still get back up and disappear. As the sports fans say, "Wait 'til next time!"

Right now I'm out of action for a couple of months with a broken leg, so I'm hunting vicariously through your videos. Keep it up.

Oh Man.........so sorry to hear that.

Will pray for a swift and complete recovery for you.

We need you 'out there'. Hogs everywhere are probably breathing a sigh of relief right now. frown

Take it easy.

Flint.

Re: One that got away... [Re: Double Naught Spy] #6255548 04/11/16 06:11 PM
R
remman Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
R
I'm glad I'm not the only one this happens to. These hogs are tough. I've seen this happen more than once, regardless of caliber.

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide