Forums46
Topics537,968
Posts9,731,176
Members87,051
Most Online25,604
Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Re: Game Wardens bust hunters in Bell County [Re: Grizz] #6258043 04/13/16 02:17 PM
TurkeyHunter Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted By: Grizz
I would guess hunters unknowingly hunting baited areas goes on a lot more than people realize. It would be a tough call for a game warden in that situation. It all comes down to whether or not he/she believes the hunters.

Appears like the game warden wrote them up and the prosecutor dropped the charges except for the main guy responsible. Like the saying goes "tell it to the judge".

To be determined
Re: Game Wardens bust hunters in Bell County [Re: Ronnie Oneal] #6258065 04/13/16 02:25 PM
TurkeyHunter Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted By: Ronnie Oneal
So if a person gets pulled over and has a car full of drugs and the passenger didn't know the drugs were in the car do they get off with no charges? I doubt it.....

They may get a charge but if the car owner tells the police/prosecutor/judge the truth and the passenger is not a scumbag, the charges could be dropped by the prosecutor or found not guilty. I've seen on those cop shows where passengers didn't get charged by the police when the driver/owner took responsibility. And also the passenger was respectful and did not appear as a typical druggie or have a bunch of priors.

To be determined
Re: Game Wardens bust hunters in Bell County [Re: billyhunt] #6260423 04/14/16 09:46 PM
S
Savage388 Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
S
Originally Posted By: billyhunt
Navasot, they are schooled that way.

No. I'm no GW but I am an LEO.

The reason many in our profession have a distrust of most of the people we encounter is because we are lied to EVERYDAY in some way, be it deception or flat out lie. Most everyone will lie to an officer when it comes down to it. I have rarely seen anyone flat out tell me they are guilty.

So, by default, be it right or wrong, I take very little information I can't verify at face value.

ODERINT DUM METUANT
Re: Game Wardens bust hunters in Bell County [Re: Navasot] #6260490 04/14/16 10:44 PM
P
passthru Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
P
Originally Posted By: Navasot
Originally Posted By: dune2218
I did ------ never trust a district judge, a game warden or county atty.

Then you'll understand when the GW has a tendency to not trust most hunters

I don't understand it at all. It does nothing to help me be open and honest with a warden if he has a pissy, antagonist approach to me. However if he is polite and professional I will give him the same courtesy.

I have to say though I know they deal with a lot of violators. But not every hunter is a poacher, few poachers are really hunters.

I work hard, drink a little and hunt when I can.
NRA Life Member
https://sofalasafaris.com/
Re: Game Wardens bust hunters in Bell County [Re: Grizz] #6260506 04/14/16 10:54 PM
B
blackcoal Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
B
Originally Posted By: BOONER
Ok, how do they determine if the seed has been out for 10 days or not???

A friend of mine got popped for the same thing years ago. I don't know if the same is true here, but they were watching my friend and knew exactly when he put the bait out.

"got popped" ? What exactly do you mean? Caught and told not to do it again. Heavy fine. Fine and jail time. Lose of equipment used in baiting area. Was he a LEO and do you have any idea how many times or years he had done this? I mean, first offense or had he been doing it for years?

The Greatest Enemy of knowledge is not ignorance,
it is the illusion of knowledge.--Stephen Hawking
Re: Game Wardens bust hunters in Bell County [Re: Cattleman] #6260522 04/14/16 11:05 PM
B
blackcoal Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
B
Originally Posted By: Cattleman
Same thing happened in Palo Pinto county a few years ago . Several county officials were at that hunt not sure who got what except the land owner and he got the big fine.

Big fine? How much? Reason I ask is if person is caught with excess birds in their possession they can be fined per bird.

Re: Game Wardens bust hunters in Bell County [Re: Navasot] #6260534 04/14/16 11:16 PM
B
blackcoal Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
B
Originally Posted By: Navasot

Then you'll understand when the GW has a tendency to not trust most hunters

Do you actually know Game Wardens that do not trust most hunters? In other words, they live their life in distrust of MOST of people they deal with daily? Does this distrust apply to fishermen? I do not doubt you, I am asking because I have never had a game warden tell me he distrusted most hunters and do the game wardens distrust all people equally?

Re: Game Wardens bust hunters in Bell County [Re: dune2218] #6260555 04/14/16 11:33 PM
B
blackcoal Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
B
Reason I am asking these questions is because the wardens in Cooke and Grayson once disagreed about the law on several incidents. This was back in 70's. I am still confused about the game warden Fried. When that incident was first reported the THF was buzzing with opinions as to what should be done to his shooter, but seems attitudes started changing when it was announced that Fried was poaching and then not only kept his job but was allowed to claim Workmans Comp.

Re: Game Wardens bust hunters in Bell County [Re: blackcoal] #6260873 04/15/16 02:57 AM
Grizz Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted By: blackcoal

A friend of mine got popped for the same thing years ago. I don't know if the same is true here, but they were watching my friend and knew exactly when he put the bait out.

"got popped" ? What exactly do you mean? Caught and told not to do it again. Heavy fine. Fine and jail time. Lose of equipment used in baiting area. Was he a LEO and do you have any idea how many times or years he had done this? I mean, first offense or had he been doing it for years?

He got cited and lost a shotgun (it could have been more, that's what he admitted to). He had done it before and didn't get caught, but that year he got caught. I suspect he got more than that but didn't admit it. The funny thing is he tried to plead his case to us after telling us what he was doing before he got caught. He was pretty free with information, so I've always suspected someone he spouted off too reported him. There was a reason the GW's were watching him.
Edit: He was not LE and I wasn't either at that time.

Last edited by Grizz; 04/15/16 02:58 AM.

[Linked Image] [Linked Image]
Re: Game Wardens bust hunters in Bell County [Re: Ronnie Oneal] #6261191 04/15/16 01:17 PM
J
jshouse Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
J
Originally Posted By: Ronnie Oneal
So if a person gets pulled over and has a car full of drugs and the passenger didn't know the drugs were in the car do they get off with no charges? I doubt it.....

if the driver or someone else in the car takes responsibility then the passenger would be released. if nobody owns up, they all go.

Originally Posted By: cameron00
If I send my neighbors a text and ask them to give me feedback on my lawn and plant rye into a giant dong pattern, I'm probably going to get some less than positive feedback. Same goes here.
Re: Game Wardens bust hunters in Bell County [Re: kdkane1971] #6261203 04/15/16 01:23 PM
J
jshouse Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
J
Originally Posted By: kdkane1971

That should be a given no matter the circumstance

same with mechanics, A/C repair guys, car salesman, attorneys, roofers, sports agents, college football coaches, pest control guys, jerry jones, politicians...

If I send my neighbors a text and ask them to give me feedback on my lawn and plant rye into a giant dong pattern, I'm probably going to get some less than positive feedback. Same goes here.
Re: Game Wardens bust hunters in Bell County [Re: jshouse] #6261224 04/15/16 01:39 PM
T
therancher Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
T
Originally Posted By: jshouse

same with mechanics, A/C repair guys, car salesman, attorneys, roofers, sports agents, college football coaches, pest control guys, jerry jones, politicians...

Johnny Manziel and Txhnter. roflmao

Crotchety old bastidge
Re: Game Wardens bust hunters in Bell County [Re: Savage388] #6261231 04/15/16 01:44 PM
N
Nogalus Prairie Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
N
Originally Posted By: Savage388
Originally Posted By: billyhunt
Navasot, they are schooled that way.

No. I'm no GW but I am an LEO.

The reason many in our profession have a distrust of most of the people we encounter is because we are lied to EVERYDAY in some way, be it deception or flat out lie. Most everyone will lie to an officer when it comes down to it. I have rarely seen anyone flat out tell me they are guilty.

So, by default, be it right or wrong, I take very little information I can't verify at face value.

I get that.

But GWs doing hunter or boat checks is a little different than working the streets as a cop. So IMO there is not near as much need for the "attitude" some GWs show in carrying out same.

Originally Posted by Russ79
I learned long ago you can't reason someone out of something they don't reason themselves into.

Re: Game Wardens bust hunters in Bell County [Re: jshouse] #6261235 04/15/16 01:46 PM
N
Nogalus Prairie Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
N

Wow! Listed after mechanics, A/C repair guys, and car salesmen!

I'm feeling better already. smile

Originally Posted by Russ79
I learned long ago you can't reason someone out of something they don't reason themselves into.

Re: Game Wardens bust hunters in Bell County [Re: Nogalus Prairie] #6261251 04/15/16 01:56 PM
J
jshouse Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
J
Originally Posted By: Nogalus Prairie

Wow! Listed after mechanics, A/C repair guys, and car salesmen!

I'm feeling better already. smile

well, I should have said "this list is in no particular order nor anywhere near complete," I was driving...

Re: Game Wardens bust hunters in Bell County [Re: dune2218] #6261946 04/15/16 10:01 PM
B
BOONER Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
B
Jshouse. I really hope that is a joke about driving!!!!

Re: Game Wardens bust hunters in Bell County [Re: BOONER] #6263326 04/17/16 02:36 AM
B
BOONER Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
B

I'm guessing that no response means you weren't joking! That's really sad that a grown man would put other people's children in danger!!!

Re: Game Wardens bust hunters in Bell County [Re: dune2218] #6263367 04/17/16 03:12 AM
J
jshouse Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
J
Yes, my lack of a response should be taken a a sign of guilt, or it could have been that I didn't see your post.

It's all good, I was passing the courthouse as I posted that, no worries...

Re: Game Wardens bust hunters in Bell County [Re: jshouse] #6264013 04/17/16 06:27 PM
B
BOONER Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
B
Yes, my lack of a response should be taken a a sign of guilt, or it could have been that I didn't see your post.

It's all good, I was passing the courthouse as I posted that, no worries...

up

Re: Game Wardens bust hunters in Bell County [Re: BOONER] #6264040 04/17/16 06:50 PM
P
passthru Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
P

I'm guessing that no response means you weren't joking! That's really sad that a grown man would put other people's children in danger!!!

I have texted/emailed and driven for years. I've not had an accident or killed anyone yet. I can eat a sandwich, participate in a conversation with a passenger and chew gum while I drive. Just because some people don't know where, when or how to do more than just grip the wheel with fear and white knuckles doesn't mean all of us are to uncoordinated, incapable or stupid to process more than one thing at a time.

I work hard, drink a little and hunt when I can.
NRA Life Member
https://sofalasafaris.com/
Re: Game Wardens bust hunters in Bell County [Re: Grizz] #6264666 04/18/16 04:52 AM
B
blackcoal Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
B
Originally Posted By: blackcoal

He got cited and lost a shotgun (it could have been more, that's what he admitted to). He had done it before and didn't get caught, but that year he got caught. I suspect he got more than that but didn't admit it. The funny thing is he tried to plead his case to us after telling us what he was doing before he got caught. He was pretty free with information, so I've always suspected someone he spouted off too reported him. There was a reason the GW's were watching him.
Edit: He was not LE and I wasn't either at that time.

Thanks for clarification. Seems to be more latitude in what GWs do and also in the punishment that is eventually handed out. Also how judge feels about certain transgressions. I remember one game warden that didn't mind if you shot a dove out of a tree or off a fence, but any type of highline really got him agitated. confused2

Re: Game Wardens bust hunters in Bell County [Re: passthru] #6264702 04/18/16 10:50 AM
B
BOONER Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
B
Originally Posted By: passthru

I have texted/emailed and driven for years. I've not had an accident or killed anyone yet. I can eat a sandwich, participate in a conversation with a passenger and chew gum while I drive. Just because some people don't know where, when or how to do more than just grip the wheel with fear and white knuckles doesn't mean all of us are to uncoordinated, incapable or stupid to process more than one thing at a time.

Lmao!!! flehan You are the greatest man on earth!!! Stupid but still great!!!

Re: Game Wardens bust hunters in Bell County [Re: passthru] #6264875 04/18/16 01:34 PM
D
Dustnsand Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
D
Originally Posted By: passthru

I would disagree with the not stupid

Re: Game Wardens bust hunters in Bell County [Re: dune2218] #6265127 04/18/16 03:29 PM
jeh7mmmag Offline
gramps
gramps
The discussion of baiting came up in the migratory bird forum. Here is a rather dramatic example of a game warden 'raid' in Bell County. this was 1992. Ticketed were 39 hunters, including the sheriff, county attorney, 2 justice of the peace, and a captain in the local state game wardens. Ex state district judge was the host of the hunt. Kind of an interesting read if anyone is interested. I can tell you NONE of these guys had any clue that the place was baited.

Ex-state district judge fined $10,000

Here is the story on the highest $baiting fine on record. clap

Texas ranch fined for baiting ducks
http://www.myplainview.com/article_3f7c416d-1d93-507e-aa37-5c0b23f6089e.html

�Everybody needs beauty as well as bread, places to play in and pray in,
where nature may heal and give strength to body and soul.�
~ John Muir
Re: Game Wardens bust hunters in Bell County [Re: dune2218] #6266323 04/19/16 03:43 AM
L
longgunner Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
L
How do you explain all the sunflower crops planted all over Texas and then shredded right before Dove Season. My guess is that 95% of these fields are not "harvested", they are simply shredded to attract birds. If dove hunting was made illegal, then very few folks would plant sunflowers. Seems very shaky to me.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide