Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Re: Big cat spotted [Re: SCone] #6297549 05/13/16 02:52 PM
T
Texas buckeye Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
In that kind of mud I am surprised this is the only print in the area you found. Hopefully there were more and you just took the pic of this one.

Having said that, this is a small body print, not a 3 foot bodied cat. It didn't sink down much in that mud as best I can tell so it was a light cat too boot. The couple bobcats (and coyotes) I have seen shot have very large paws for their bodies. I will admit I have never seen a mt lion print, but I would think they would be much bogger than this, esp given the mud situation you collected this print in...

I mean a yearling buck should show dew claws in that mud right?

Re: Big cat spotted [Re: SCone] #6297566 05/13/16 03:06 PM
dogdown23 Offline
Tracker
Tracker
Just curious why does it take do long to put game cameras out?

Dogdown

The only thing that'll stop a bad man with a gun, is a good man with a gun.
Re: Big cat spotted [Re: SCone] #6297588 05/13/16 03:17 PM
dogdown23 Offline
Tracker
Tracker
Compare the track to the green blade of grass laying in front of it... small track.. good job trying to use a 1" knife with a close up pic to make it look larger.. I don't believe u ever said where your lease is located? To me that looks like a coyote track, it may not have the nail marks but in mud they don't always look the same. Surely there were other tracks besides just that one? You're just another statistic, I saw a big black cat, my buddy saw a big black cat, someone I know saw a big black cat, ect ect.. but for some strange reason Noone has pics of one, Noone has videoed one, Noone has killed one. I wonder why that us??

Dogdown

Re: Big cat spotted [Re: SCone] #6297682 05/13/16 04:26 PM
K
kdkane1971 Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
K
roflmao

Re: Big cat spotted [Re: dogdown23] #6297700 05/13/16 04:47 PM
F
flintknapper Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
F
Originally Posted By: dogdown23
Compare the track to the green blade of grass laying in front of it... small track.. good job trying to use a 1" knife with a close up pic to make it look larger.. I don't believe u ever said where your lease is located? To me that looks like a coyote track, it may not have the nail marks but in mud they don't always look the same. Surely there were other tracks besides just that one? You're just another statistic, I saw a big black cat, my buddy saw a big black cat, someone I know saw a big black cat, ect ect.. but for some strange reason Noone has pics of one, Noone has videoed one, Noone has killed one. I wonder why that us??

I don't believe the OP has any intent to 'deceive', but certainly an object of known scale next to the print would be of more benefit.

A better 'track/impression' would be helpful as well.

This is what a true Cougar track looks like:

We have a lot of Bobcat on my property and surrounding areas. I have game cam videos of them almost weekly and often see their tracks. A bobcat track...even a large one, is only going to be about 2" wide at most and about the same in length. A cougar track (if mature) will be twice that span. It will be readily apparent that a large animal made it.

I shot this Bobcat recently while out hog hunting:

While not the heaviest, nor the most mature cat I have taken, it was a fairly tall and long Tom. The position in the picture above exaggerates the 'walking' length of the cat, but if it had been viewed running, jumping or otherwise stretched out, it would indeed appear to be about 4' in length. The AR in the picture is 38" long for reference.

I do not contest anyone's claim to have seen a large cat, even a claim clearly identifying it as a cougar, they exist in many parts of Texas, though rare.

Where I have to stop the bus and get off....is the 'black' part. While I have no doubt some folks see 'something' that is black (or appears black), I think it is almost always a case of mistaken identity, or just a house cat, the size of which....is misjudged.

But I am happy to be proven wrong. Sadly...still waiting for anyone to produce a valid picture of a black panther though.

Spartans ask not...how many, but where!
Re: Big cat spotted [Re: flintknapper] #6297718 05/13/16 05:02 PM
HWY_MAN Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted By: flintknapper
Originally Posted By: SCone
here's a track we found this week....... it looks BIG......

We did not see any sign of claws like a dog or coyote...... either a big Bobcat or a Cougar roaming the area....... Still trying to catch her on game cameras..............

Would very much like to see a better print, especially the 'pad'. The absence of claw marks can be 'telling' but depending upon soil conditions may or may not indicate a cat. Unless I am just not seeing it, I don't see the impression of the fourth toe...where three very distinct (and deep) toe marks exist? I don't understand the lack of a fourth impression?

The toe marks do look teardrop shaped and I could be convinced that the third toe (from the right) is actually the 'leading toe' (again consistent with a cat, right front paw), but I can't make out the shape of the 'pad' which would pretty much tell us if it was feline or not.

We do appreciate you checking back in and providing what you have at this point.

Quick look at the rear pad says bobcat. That particular knife is 3-7/8 ths in length which would make the track about 3x2. Mud makes it look larger than it actually is. Right front foot from most likely a male due to size. Steep angle om the right toe leads me to believe the foot was either slipping or the incline leaned right, debris in the right toe marks but none in the left supports it.

Yes! A Weatherby does kill them deader.
Re: Big cat spotted [Re: SCone] #6297915 05/13/16 07:43 PM
F
flintknapper Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
F
Quote:
Quick look at the rear pad says bobcat. That particular knife is 3-7/8 ths in length which would make the track about 3x2. Mud makes it look larger than it actually is. Right front foot from most likely a male due to size. Steep angle om the right toe leads me to believe the foot was either slipping or the incline leaned right, debris in the right toe marks but none in the left supports it.

Don't know what model Spyderco that is (maybe a harpy?), but yes...possibly close to 4".

Hard to tell much about the track without seeing more of the surrounding soil. Debris in the track could have been kicked in by the hind foot, though this is not an overlapping track. The lighter colored soil (dried out) is in contrast to the darker moister soil, proof that the track is fairly fresh.

You have a good eye for detail, something that many folks lack.

Re: Big cat spotted [Re: SCone] #6297921 05/13/16 07:50 PM
R
Red Cloud Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
R
Fun thread! happy3

Re: Big cat spotted [Re: LuckyHunter] #6297932 05/13/16 08:02 PM
B
BMD Offline
Silver Spoon
Silver Spoon
B
Originally Posted By: SheepHunter
I think the 1 inch knife is throwing us off. IMO

banana

Re: Big cat spotted [Re: SCone] #6297991 05/13/16 09:22 PM
SCone Offline OP
Pro Tracker
OP Offline
Pro Tracker
There were three prints that all looked the same. It was a place in the road that had been filled in to get rid of a large hole. The entire area is only about 3ft in diameter. The rest of the road is gravel. There were no other tracks that we could find. It had just been patched earlier in the day and the dirt was just starting to dry out. The knife is a 4" Spyderco.

We have four cameras across the creek area (where the neighbor has been seeing her) and two covering the woods where we first saw her. These tracks were out on the road that runs between both properties.

So far, no one has been armed with a proper rifle to take her. When we first saw her, we were having breakfast in the house. Only rifle we had close was a little 22. The neighbor has seen her early in the morning while he was feeding the cows and moving across his far pasture, a good 300-400 yards away, in the evening.

Thanks for the pics of tracks for us to compare and what to look for the next time we find something.

I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on.
I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them.
- J. B. Books

For your ID Theft & Legal needs...
http://scone.legalshieldassociate.com
Re: Big cat spotted [Re: SCone] #6297998 05/13/16 09:35 PM
F
flintknapper Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
F
Originally Posted By: SCone
There were three prints that all looked the same. It was a place in the road that had been filled in to get rid of a large hole. The entire area is only about 3ft in diameter. The rest of the road is gravel. There were no other tracks that we could find. It had just been patched earlier in the day and the dirt was just starting to dry out. The knife is a 4" Spyderco.

We have four cameras across the creek area (where the neighbor has been seeing her) and two covering the woods where we first saw her. These tracks were out on the road that runs between both properties.

So far, no one has been armed with a proper rifle to take her. When we first saw her, we were having breakfast in the house. Only rifle we had close was a little 22. The neighbor has seen her early in the morning while he was feeding the cows and moving across his far pasture, a good 300-400 yards away, in the evening.

Thanks for the pics of tracks for us to compare and what to look for the next time we find something.

Wishing you good luck with the cameras. Hard to know just where to set them. A water source, naturally...but also edge cover and any terrain features that tend to 'funnel down' travel.

If any of the cameras are capable of taking video, that is what I would set them on.

Look forward to some pics.

Last edited by flintknapper; 05/13/16 09:39 PM.

Re: Big cat spotted [Re: SCone] #6298007 05/13/16 09:49 PM
A
Always ready 2 hunt Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
A
Interesting. I'm waiting on when the first thermal hunter shows up with the first black cat and sasquatch trophy... but I've heard that panther scream in deep east texas bottoms. Makes your hair stand up and shiver for sure.

Re: Big cat spotted [Re: SCone] #6298009 05/13/16 09:50 PM
C
CitySlickerHunter Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
C
Keep us posted.

"I can't be over gunned because the animal can't be over dead"-Elmer Keith
10/30/2012 I VOTED for The American
Re: Big cat spotted [Re: SCone] #6298046 05/13/16 10:43 PM
dogdown23 Offline
Tracker
Tracker
Funny stuff.....

Dogdown

Re: Big cat spotted [Re: stxranchman] #6298445 05/14/16 03:01 PM
4Weight Online Content
Extreme Tracker
Online Content
Extreme Tracker
Originally Posted By: stxranchman
worthless

LOL

Re: Big cat spotted [Re: SCone] #6298470 05/14/16 03:28 PM
E
Earl Online Content
Extreme Tracker
Online Content
Extreme Tracker
E
All I know is Hwy Man's kittie there ain't black but it looks to be doing vulgar kitty things...

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Re: Big cat spotted [Re: SCone] #6298980 05/15/16 01:08 PM
N
NDN98 Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
N
popcorn

Re: Big cat spotted [Re: SCone] #6606399 12/29/16 05:09 AM
SCone Offline OP
Pro Tracker
OP Offline
Pro Tracker
We took a large bobcat recently (40-45 pounds) could have been the one that made this print, but the rancher on the property has seen a larger cat also..... we have yet to see her again...... when we get a good pic of her (we have 5 game cameras across the area), I will post.... until then, it is only speculation............ but two of us saw her that first day..... large and dark colored...............

I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on.
I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them.
- J. B. Books

For your ID Theft & Legal needs...
http://scone.legalshieldassociate.com
Re: Big cat spotted [Re: SCone] #6606441 12/29/16 06:54 AM
C
cameron00 Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
C
I am eagerly anticipating this large black LION.

(Or maybe small normal bobcat)

Either way...

Re: Big cat spotted [Re: SCone] #6606511 12/29/16 01:08 PM
T
tdecker22 Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
T
cheers

Re: Big cat spotted [Re: SCone] #6606718 12/29/16 03:34 PM
A
Ag Hunter 78 Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
A
Need to pop a pig and put out some pork near the cameras to increase your odds.

No prayer in school....What's next, no thinking in church?
It's not just about pie in the sky when you die. It's also about steak on your plate while you wait!
Re: Big cat spotted [Re: SCone] #6607096 12/29/16 07:52 PM
J
jrs_39 Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
J
"If you're sure it was black, you saw a dog or a house cat".

Don't let these comments get to you. I had a large black cat with long tail run in front of my mule, mid day in Coleman County. Stopped 20 yards in front of me and my buddy and just looked at us.

Was clearly no house cat, dog, bobcat, or mountain lion. Way too long and low to the ground. Looked up a picture of a jaguarundi - bingo - the exact animal I had seen. Posted my story on here - got blasted for 3 pages.

I hope one of these nimrods calling us liars gets to see one up close one day. When nobody believes them they will understand.

Last edited by jrs_39; 12/29/16 07:52 PM.
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide