facebook
Forum Stats
60428 Members
45 Forums
475735 Topics
6240839 Posts

Max Online: 16728 @ 03/25/12 08:51 AM
Topic Options
#6250977 - 04/07/16 10:00 AM Coyotes are brilliant, and a jackrabbit got me busted.
FiremanJG Offline
THF Celebrity

Loc: Wolfe City, TX
My usual approach to my place is slow rolling south bound, with my head on a swivel. I've looked at this land so much, I know when something is out of place. To my SE I saw some figures standing on the edge of the plowed field, two in the sun. I put glass on them and it was three! coyotes just hanging around. I didn't range them, but I have ranged that area before and knew they were 900-ish yards from me. I kept easing southbound with a tree line between me and them. I stopped the truck when I was almost due west of them, truck still hidden in the tree line right next to the road. There is an island of trees in the plowed field 100 yards east, that I was going to use to mask my approach, keeping it between me and them. Carrying my LR 308, and range finder. I crept up to the island of trees. Just as I had made it the island a jackrabbit busted, and going away from me put him in the sun between the island and the coyotes. I took a knee, still well brushed in. and got glass on them. One was looking my way, one was laying down, and one had started walking south. They were 600 yards from me, and they still saw that jackrabbit!

I know they never saw me, but the fact that they had seen the truck, lost the truck, and a jackrabbit busted out of the island suggests to me they have process of elimination, and figured I was closer.

Never fired a shot. They are the smartest animal on four legs in Texas. My opinion, of course, but I've seen the genius they exhibit. They are my favorite thing to try and outsmart. I lost this morning. crazy

800 Yard Steel Rifle Range
Long Range Shooting Instruction
Memberships and Classes Available

#6251022 - 04/07/16 10:29 AM Re: Coyotes are brilliant, and a jackrabbit got me busted. [Re: FiremanJG]
kmon1 Online   content
junior

Loc: Texas

RULES for using the TRADING POST
http://www.texashuntingforum.com/forum/u..._PO#Post1959111

#6251033 - 04/07/16 10:40 AM Re: Coyotes are brilliant, and a jackrabbit got me busted. [Re: FiremanJG]
FiremanJG Offline
THF Celebrity

roflmao

Funny because it is so true!

#6251165 - 04/07/16 01:27 PM Re: Coyotes are brilliant, and a jackrabbit got me busted. [Re: FiremanJG]
Nogalus Prairie Online   content
THF Celebrity

Loc: Corsicana
A pressured coyote is as smart as it gets.

#6251196 - 04/07/16 01:51 PM Re: Coyotes are brilliant, and a jackrabbit got me busted. [Re: FiremanJG]
rexmitchell Offline
Pro Tracker

It is interesting to me how coyotes and even hogs act. The ones that have never been hunted will sit there and look at you wondering what you are doing. The ones that have been shot at before will hit the hills quickly like you described. I've shot coyotes from 50 yrds away just standing and looking at me. Hogs I've seen run 50 yrds away as well and act like they didn't care I was there. Strange creatures.

#6251380 - 04/07/16 04:45 PM Re: Coyotes are brilliant, and a jackrabbit got me busted. [Re: FiremanJG]
Red Cloud Online   content
Pro Tracker

Loc: Weatherford, Texas
Good story. I agree they must have the ability to think through the process of elimination coyotes have outsmarted me many times and often I could not figure out how I got busted!

#6251881 - 04/08/16 06:29 AM Re: Coyotes are brilliant, and a jackrabbit got me busted. [Re: FiremanJG]
hetman Offline
Pro Tracker

Loc: Addison Tx
JG maybe they have watched a few of you shooting classes and know >800yards is a good place for them

"God is Good, Beer is Great & people are Crazy"

#6251961 - 04/08/16 08:10 AM Re: Coyotes are brilliant, and a jackrabbit got me busted. [Re: FiremanJG]
colt45 Offline
THF Trophy Hunter

Loc: bastrop county
Originally Posted By: FiremanJG
My usual approach to my place is slow rolling south bound, with my head on a swivel. I've looked at this land so much, I know when something is out of place. To my SE I saw some figures standing on the edge of the plowed field, two in the sun. I put glass on them and it was three! coyotes just hanging around. I didn't range them, but I have ranged that area before and knew they were 900-ish yards from me. I kept easing southbound with a tree line between me and them. I stopped the truck when I was almost due west of them, truck still hidden in the tree line right next to the road. There is an island of trees in the plowed field 100 yards east, that I was going to use to mask my approach, keeping it between me and them. Carrying my LR 308, and range finder. I crept up to the island of trees. Just as I had made it the island a jackrabbit busted, and going away from me put him in the sun between the island and the coyotes. I took a knee, still well brushed in. and got glass on them. One was looking my way, one was laying down, and one had started walking south. They were 600 yards from me, and they still saw that jackrabbit!

I know they never saw me, but the fact that they had seen the truck, lost the truck, and a jackrabbit busted out of the island suggests to me they have process of elimination, and figured I was closer.

Never fired a shot. They are the smartest animal on four legs in Texas. My opinion, of course, but I've seen the genius they exhibit. They are my favorite thing to try and outsmart. I lost this morning. crazy 100% true

#6252035 - 04/08/16 09:07 AM Re: Coyotes are brilliant, and a jackrabbit got me busted. [Re: hetman]
FiremanJG Offline
THF Celebrity

Originally Posted By: hetman
JG maybe they have watched a few of you shooting classes and know >800yards is a good place for them

I really think they associate the four door red Dodge with death. I've lost count as to how many coyotes I've killed from, or near that truck. For every coyote I've seen there's no telling how many were hiding in the tree lines watching their pack member get whacked. I've observed, since Nov 2013, when I bought my place that back then many coyotes would sit and watch me, sometimes within 300 yards. Now, usually when they see the truck within 1500 yards they hual a$$.

A month ago, I watched a coyote come from the east, 1000 yards out, was moving as fast as he could, crossed the road, and continued another 300 yards to the west tree line. Never have I seen one run that hard that far.

Guess I'm going to have to go back to actually setting up and calling, making sure to be very brushed in.

#6252267 - 04/08/16 12:30 PM Re: Coyotes are brilliant, and a jackrabbit got me busted. [Re: FiremanJG]
Dalee7892 Offline
Tracker

Loc: Denton County
JG you need a different colored truck.

#6252474 - 04/08/16 04:06 PM Re: Coyotes are brilliant, and a jackrabbit got me busted. [Re: Dalee7892]
FiremanJG Offline
THF Celebrity

Workin on that...

© 2004-2016 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide