Print Thread
looking for a exotic hunt #6246685 04/04/16 12:34 AM
Z
Zack21 Offline OP
Pro Tracker
OP Offline
Pro Tracker
Z
looking for a package for me and my brother in law to shoot a couple exotics and have the family just hang out. not trying to break the bank. anything out there.
looking for some sort of package deal for either blackbuck, sika, axis, ram, does, hogs. not really picky just wanting to get the family out. looking soon before it gets too hot.

Last edited by dog man 21; 04/04/16 01:32 AM.
Re: looking for a exotic hunt [Re: Zack21] #6246724 04/04/16 01:04 AM
H
Hunter Gatherer Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
H
What animals would interest you? When would you like to hunt?

Re: looking for a exotic hunt [Re: Zack21] #6246940 04/04/16 06:15 AM
T
the lab Offline
Tracker
Tracker
T
you may want to contact Ryan Longer at Longer outdoors. Great guide and extremely competitive prices with no additional fees.

Re: looking for a exotic hunt [Re: Zack21] #6247185 04/04/16 02:35 PM
Curtis Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
I have $400 on the axis doe and $250 for the blackbuck doe.
1 day hunt. No additional fees for cleaning.

Double Arrow Bow Hunting
www.doublearrowbowhunting.com
Bow hunters welcome!
Whitetail-Axis-Blackbuck-Fallow-Barasingha-Scimitar Oryx
Located in Gonzales County.
Visit our Facebook page for current updates!

Re: looking for a exotic hunt [Re: Zack21] #6247680 04/04/16 08:31 PM
S
STXHO Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
S
$300 axis does, lodging is first class. The ranch is located in Rocksprings, Tx. The place is beautiful and I have some great axis bucks if anyone decides to add on a buck.

Haiden Mensik
(361)-449-5957

Last edited by STXHO; 04/04/16 08:39 PM.
Re: looking for a exotic hunt [Re: Curtis] #6247777 04/04/16 09:51 PM
M
Matpk Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
M
Originally Posted By: Curtis

aim
Curtis...! Is it bow only or rifle too.????
food

Re: looking for a exotic hunt [Re: Zack21] #6248027 04/05/16 12:57 AM
mulie_mike Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
I have everything you listed. Check out my specials page on my website too. Axis does are $350 per Doe with a $100 a day guide fee which covers up to 3 hunters and there lodging.

Aoudad ewes hunt too would be a good option
www.westtexashuntorg.com

Specializing in Free Range hunts in far west Texas for Native & Exotic Game. Hunts for All budgets with Financing available.

www.westtexashunt.com

Like us on Facebook https://www.facebook.com/WestTexasHuntOrganization/
Re: looking for a exotic hunt [Re: Matpk] #6248332 04/05/16 11:50 AM
Curtis Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
Originally Posted By: matpk
Originally Posted By: Curtis

aim
Curtis...! Is it bow only or rifle too.????
food

That is bow or rifle.

Double Arrow Bow Hunting
www.doublearrowbowhunting.com
Bow hunters welcome!
Whitetail-Axis-Blackbuck-Fallow-Barasingha-Scimitar Oryx
Located in Gonzales County.
Visit our Facebook page for current updates!

Re: looking for a exotic hunt [Re: Zack21] #6248341 04/05/16 12:03 PM
K
kdkane1971 Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
K
+1 for Curtis - he is a great guy to hunt with - you won't be disappointed at Double Arrow!

Re: looking for a exotic hunt [Re: Zack21] #6248629 04/05/16 04:41 PM
TenTenWhitetails Offline
Tracker
Tracker
Can set you up with axis, blackbuck, fallow, turkey or hog combos. Let me know what you are interested in and we can go from there. PM me with details. Cmpetitive pricing with the above.
Lodging available at our B&B in Utopia, Tx. 15 minutes from Garner State Park & Lost Maples State Park. Hunt on our 2 ranches.

Ten Ten Whitetails
Vanderpool, Texas
(830)688-3750
TenTenWhitetails@yahoo.com

Whitetail,Exotics,Turkey,Hog,Varmint,Predator Hunts- Lodging

415 HF/LF Acres.
Min. from Lost Maples State Park.

Darting services avail. Accepting new clients.
Re: looking for a exotic hunt [Re: STXHO] #6249358 04/06/16 02:07 AM
M
Matpk Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
M
cheers
STXHO,great prices for meat hunt.Does the accommodation Included???
How many hunters and axis does available.
Is it high or low fence??
Availability on first week end of may..
PM me with every details ..
food food

Re: looking for a exotic hunt [Re: Matpk] #6250033 04/06/16 06:39 PM
M
Matpk Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
M
cheers
food food

STXHO...waiting for your PM.

Re: looking for a exotic hunt [Re: Matpk] #6250637 04/07/16 03:43 AM
S
STXHO Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
S
cheers
food food

Sorry just got on here. PM coming your way

Re: looking for a exotic hunt [Re: STXHO] #6251106 04/07/16 05:23 PM
M
Matpk Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
M
Originally Posted By: STXHO
cheers
food food

Sorry just got on here. PM coming your way

Thanks
PM replied.

aim

STXHO - Problems with communication, understanding, and resolution [Re: Matpk] #6259539 04/14/16 01:14 PM
S
Steve T Offline
Light Foot
Light Foot
S
Sharing my recent experience with STXHO. I can't recommend them at all.

It took me a while to write this review as I was attempting to work something out with the guide service to resolve the problems I encountered. As a consolation I was offered a follow up hunt for one person in Freer Texas in June. This is a long write up, so get some popcorn and read on. The short version is to avoid this outfitter like the black plague.

I started communicating with Haiden Mensik in September of 2015 attempting to book a Javelina hunt for my Father, my Son, and me. We have hunted feral hogs several times and very specifically wanted to book a Javelina hunt. This was made clear in several emails back and forth with the owner, Haiden Mensik. I had to correct his reference to a “Hog hunt” multiple times and remind him we wanted to hunt Javelina, or not go at all.

Once I confirmed the dates of Feb 15-17 for the three of us, the communication problems continued. Emails went unanswered for days, despite multiple re-sends from me. Finally as we neared the hunting dates, I needed to confirm the location of the actual ranch with Haiden. The first request for this information went out in December and I had to follow up in January to get a response, which ultimately changed again two weeks before the hunt.

I sent a final pre-hunt email to Haiden on February 3rd, confirming our arrival on Sunday February 14th to start hunting on the morning of the 15th. At this point Haiden had confirmed the hunting location as Jourdanton, TX and also told me lodging would be included in the hunt. I confirmed in writing we planned to stay at the ranch on the nights of Feb 14, 15, & 16.

On February 6th, I texted Haiden for the address of the ranch in Jourdanton. On February 8th, not having received a reply, I sent another text asking for directions when we arrived on Sunday night. 24 hours later on February 9th I sent a third text nearly begging for a reply and address for our arrival. Later that evening (three days after the first request) Haiden told me he was moving us to Refugio where he “located some javelina.” He said we would meet at the local Dairy Queen in Woodsboro and to call when we arrived.

We arrived at San Antonio airport and I texted Haiden at 3pm on Sunday February 14th to let him know we were on the way. He replied asking if we were coming in “today or tomorrow?” “Tomorrow is what I have you down for.” Turned out Haiden Mensik had the flu so he referred us to Hayden Wagoner (another guide from STXHO).

Hayden Wagoner was not available to meet us Sunday either. So the ranch hand, Tyler came out to meet us and bring us back to the lodge. We arrived to a filthy lodge with no bedding on the beds (other than the dirty linens left from the prior hunting group.) Obviously we were not expected. Tyler was very pleasant and did his best to help us get settled.

I knew all was lost when Tyler asked us “Y’all ready to hunt some hogs tomorrow?” and I replied, “Nope, we are here for the Javelina!” at which point Tyler deadpan informed me “We don’t have any javelina on this ranch. We have lots of hogs though!” Imagine my disappointment having booked a hunt for my father and son for Javelina and being told “We ain’t got none here,” on arrival.
Sure enough, neither sightings of hogs nor javelina the first morning. When Hayden Wagoner arrived he was a very professional guide who also said “Javelina are very rare in these parts.” Tuesday afternoon the camp manager, Chis Fontenot arrived and confirmed once again that “Javelina are just not found this far north. Why don’t you just enjoy hunting hogs?” We were then rushed out after lunch on the last day to make room for the next group of hunters. Who knew a three day hunt didn’t include the last afternoon?
At the end of our trip my father, son, and I spent some quality time together hunting for hogs (none of us harvested one.) However, I could have done that near my father’s home in Florida as we have done in the past for far less expense that this trip. Haiden Mensik mislead me about the possibility of finding Javelina on his property and conned me out of the expense for the trip, flights, meals, and hotel room for the night before our flight out.

Re: STXHO - Problems with communication, understanding, and resolution [Re: Zack21] #6259712 04/14/16 03:04 PM
K
kdkane1971 Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
K
That ol' boy was sure slingin' stones over a mistake another outfitter made regarding a photo (and immediately corrected). Maybe throwing stones in a glass house isn't a good move as it seems the business practices reflected on the BBB website have continued. Thank you very much for the review - indeed buyer beware.

Re: STXHO - Problems with communication, understanding, and resolution [Re: kdkane1971] #6260001 04/14/16 05:41 PM
S
STXHO Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
S
Originally Posted By: kdkane1971
That ol' boy was sure slingin' stones over a mistake another outfitter made regarding a photo (and immediately corrected). Maybe throwing stones in a glass house isn't a good move as it seems the business practices reflected on the BBB website have continued. Thank you very much for the review - indeed buyer beware.

Look at you instigating. . . .

I'll post my side of the story on another thread.

Re: STXHO - Problems with communication, understanding, and resolution [Re: Zack21] #6260060 04/14/16 06:17 PM
S
STXHO Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
S
Originally Posted By: Steve T
I hunted the property near Refugio. Here is my review of it.

It took me a while to write this review as I was attempting to work something out with the guide service to resolve the problems I encountered. As a consolation I was offered a follow up hunt for one person in Freer Texas in June. This is a long write up, so get some popcorn and read on. The short version is to avoid this outfitter like the black plague.

I started communicating with Haiden Mensik in September of 2015 attempting to book a Javelina hunt for my Father, my Son, and me. We have hunted feral hogs several times and very specifically wanted to book a Javelina hunt. This was made clear in several emails back and forth with the owner, Haiden Mensik. I had to correct his reference to a “Hog hunt” multiple times and remind him we wanted to hunt Javelina, or not go at all.

Once I confirmed the dates of Feb 15-17 for the three of us, the communication problems continued. Emails went unanswered for days, despite multiple re-sends from me. Finally as we neared the hunting dates, I needed to confirm the location of the actual ranch with Haiden. The first request for this information went out in December and I had to follow up in January to get a response, which ultimately changed again two weeks before the hunt.

Yes, email did go unanswered for days. I will admit that- when your running several ranches daylight till dark during the middle of deer season it is hard to respond with away. I apologized to Steve about that and he was ok with it, AT THE TIME. When booking the hunt I informed him that I would reach out to hunt before the hunt, and that is exactly what I did.

I sent a final pre-hunt email to Haiden on February 3rd, confirming our arrival on Sunday February 14th to start hunting on the morning of the 15th. At this point Haiden had confirmed the hunting location as Jourdanton, TX and also told me lodging would be included in the hunt. I confirmed in writing we planned to stay at the ranch on the nights of Feb 14, 15, & 16.
On February 6th, I texted Haiden for the address of the ranch in Jourdanton. On February 8th, not having received a reply, I sent another text asking for directions when we arrived on Sunday night. 24 hours later on February 9th I sent a third text nearly begging for a reply and address for our arrival. Later that evening (three days after the first request) Haiden told me he was moving us to Refugio where he “located some javelina.” He said we would meet at the local Dairy Queen in Woodsboro and to call when we arrived.

I had planned on them hunting a ranch in Jourdanton, but I gained access to a ranch near Refugio so I planned on hunting them there instead. If I am not mistaken, they would have had to provide their own lodging in Jourdanton. In Refugio the lodging is included so I thought they would like that more and it would save them some $.

We arrived at San Antonio airport and I texted Haiden at 3pm on Sunday February 14th to let him know we were on the way. He replied asking if we were coming in “today or tomorrow?” “Tomorrow is what I have you down for.” Turned out Haiden Mensik had the flu so he referred us to Hayden Wagoner (another guide from STXHO).

I was sick with the flu and did not have my book on me when he texted me. I did not want to wait too long to respond to him because I would have been nervous flying somewhere and not hearing from the outfitter after texting him when I arrived, so I asked him the question because I knew he would know the answer!

Hayden Wagoner was not available to meet us Sunday either. So the ranch hand, Tyler came out to meet us and bring us back to the lodge. We arrived to a filthy lodge with no bedding on the beds (other than the dirty linens left from the prior hunting group.) Obviously we were not expected. Tyler was very pleasant and did his best to help us get settled.

I think filthy is exaggerated. There was bedding and sheets on all of the beds. You guys on the board can believe what you want.

I knew all was lost when Tyler asked us “Y’all ready to hunt some hogs tomorrow?” and I replied, “Nope, we are here for the Javelina!” at which point Tyler deadpan informed me “We don’t have any javelina on this ranch. We have lots of hogs though!” Imagine my disappointment having booked a hunt for my father and son for Javelina and being told “We ain’t got none here,” on arrival.

Tyler was a new guide to this ranch. We hah hog hunters on the ranch prior to that point so he expected them to be hunting hogs. He had never spent time on the pasture that Steve was going to be hunting so of course he would say that there are no javelina.

Sure enough, neither sightings of hogs nor javelina the first morning. When Hayden Wagoner arrived he was a very professional guide who also said “Javelina are very rare in these parts.” Tuesday afternoon the camp manager, Chis Fontenot arrived and confirmed once again that “Javelina are just not found this far north. Why don’t you just enjoy hunting hogs?” We were then rushed out after lunch on the last day to make room for the next group of hunters. Who knew a three day hunt didn’t include the last afternoon?

Before Steve booked the hunt I informed him his hunt ended on the morning of his 3rd day. No one rushed him out, thats exaggerated. Chris also did not tell him that. Just because you don't see the game you are hunting does not mean they aren't there?

At the end of our trip my father, son, and I spent some quality time together hunting for hogs (none of us harvested one.) However, I could have done that near my father’s home in Florida as we have done in the past for far less expense that this trip. Haiden Mensik mislead me about the possibility of finding Javelina on his property and conned me out of the expense for the trip, flights, meals, and hotel room for the night before our flight out.

I don't believe I conned anyone out of anything. I don't believe I misled anyone either.

After Steves hunt he reached out to me expressing his complaints/ concerns. I was not aware of any of this while he was hunting with me. I asked my guides periodically throughout the hunt if things were ok, how is everyones attitude, etc, etc. I was told everyone was happy and things are great. IF steve had an issue he should of picked up the phone and called me. At least that is what I would have done???
So when Steve emailed me after the hunt I was shocked at what he had told me. I offered to take him to another ranch for free and make it up to him, which I will still do. He did not actually agree but he showed interested. I explained to him that I was sorry and I understood his frustration. (Which I really do). I then put him in contact with my foreman who was supposed to work out the hunt. I was then told by my foreman that Steve declined the offer, and he was going to post reviews everywhere and anywhere he could. After hearing this I reached out to Steve again and expressed my concerns and made him the same offer. I told Steve I would personally make sure he had a good time and I would be there to take care of him. No response from Steve at that point. I then tried to contact Steve by phone with no luck then received a txt message saying he was in a meeting - I asked for him to call me at his convenience.

Im well aware that the board will take Steves side being that he is the paid hunter and by all means a hunter is always right, the outfitter is always the bad guy in these situations. However I would like everyone to know that I did reach out to him in hopes of making it right, I have built my business on Christian morals and I treat others the way I would like to be treated. I can tell you a lot of stories about hunters and things they have done that aren't so christian like. I do believe Steve is a great guy, and this was just a bad deal for both of us. I know he is out time and $ for his hunt. I have been burned on hunts before and it sucks. I would not bring someone across the country to intentionally screw them. My offer still stands to make it right, I can't say that I believe he will take me up on it but I would be very happy if Steve would come down and give it another try.

Haiden Mensik

Re: STXHO - Problems with communication, understanding, and resolution [Re: Zack21] #6260351 04/14/16 08:43 PM
T
the lab Offline
Tracker
Tracker
T
it is good to read both sides of the story. It sounds like a bad deal all they way around. I can completely understand the hunter point of view. I enjoy visiting Texas as often as opportunity (and my wife) allow. With that in mind it takes A LOT more effort for me and my group of hunters/friends to get to a ranch. Once you figure in time off from work. Airfare, rental car ect. even an inexpensive hunt like javelina will cost well in excess of a thousand dollars per person (likely north of $1500). I have been EXTREMELY fortunate in my experiences, but I believe that is because I spent endless hours researching ranches and outfitters before I ever booked. I am at a point now where I really only contact 3 outfitters. All 3 go above and beyond and I have NEVER had issues with any of them. If I read the complaint and proposed solution right I don't blame the hunter for not accepting the offer. It read as though there were 3 hunters and the outfitter offered 1 hunt. That may seem great "if they lived in Texas". I know I am not a fan of hunting alone, so he would likely bring his father or son or both (that means the FREE hunt is already as much as $1300). Then add airfare, car rental and food it is not much of a compensation IMO. I think it is extremely important for outfitters/ranches/guides to realize that for MOST of us there is more to these hunts then jumping in a car and driving a few hours. I hope all parties reach a conclusion that is acceptable. I would finish by pointing out I hunted axis 5 times before I ever took an axis. I am well aware that you sometimes, just don't see the animals you are hunting, but I NEVER doubted that they were there. It does NOT sound like this hunter (or group of hunters) had that security. Regardless of if it was your guide being mistaken about "IF" there were java's on the ranch or if were no javelinas "that far north" it sounds as though the issue was on you. The only thing I would say the hunter was A LITTLE out of line on is most places do end the final day around noon. I assume he may have "exaggerated" a little on the filthy and the rushed but he had just spent thousands of dollars to hangout with his son and father, I imagine he expected it to be flawless if the animals (java's) had (in his mind, at least) been misrepresented.

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide