Print Thread
Muscle Protein Synthesis optimization #6248807 04/05/16 07:11 PM
G
Gravytrain Offline OP
THF Celebrity
OP Offline
THF Celebrity
G
Muscle Protein Synthesis is the process by which your body repairs the muscle after
exercise. After some experimentation:

* I target my rep range to be 8-15, set 1 - 15 reps, set 2 - 10-12 reps set 3 - 6-9 reps all with proper form.
* I stay away from negative reps because I find that they increase my chance for injury and take longer to recover from.
* Once I'm hitting 12+ reps for my last set two same muscle group days in a row, it's time to add weight.
* If I'm not shaky and slightly nauseous after the workout, I did not workout hard enough, I should have added reps.
* I like to eat a little carbs right after the work out, say 20g or so. Just enough to smooth out the after workout muscle twitching.
* 7 to 8 hours of sleep really makes a difference.
* No N-saids (motrin), I think the natural process of healing works best, light swelling and light pain is part of that.
* Drink plenty of water, about a gallon a day works for me.
* Eat lot's of protein all day long. Little to no carbs except right after the workout and any special occasions appropriate for your fat level.
* Stretch before, after and the next day.
* My body responds best to splits MWF Shoulders/Arms/Chest - TTS Legs/Back/Abs Sunday off, If I went to negative reps and complete failure I would likely need more rest, but that does not seem to work well for me.
* If I wait much longer than 72 hours, I feel I lose a little strength when I hit that same muscle group.

These are some tips that seem to be working for me.
You have any?

Upon us all, upon us all, a little rain must fall
Re: Muscle Protein Synthesis optimization [Re: Gravytrain] #6249279 04/06/16 01:06 AM
P
PKnTX Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
P
I don't go so much for trying to focus on muscle groups
or specific food groups at certain times.

I do like to get my exercise as soon as possible in the morning.
A fast walk with ankle weights and dumbbell in each hand.
Pushups. Squats with heavier dumbbells.
As for nutrition I try to eat a wide variety of foods,
just not too much of anything. And yes, plenty of water.

I know it's not perfect but I'm not in training,
just trying to stay strong and keep moving.

Re: Muscle Protein Synthesis optimization [Re: Gravytrain] #6250957 04/07/16 02:46 PM
J
jshouse Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
J
I did the standard chest/tris, back/bis, legs/shoulders thing for years, wouldn't do the same body part again without at least 2 days rest...started crossfit almost 2 years ago and realized that doing legs everyday really is ok, doing shoulders everyday really is ok. in fact, ive been trying to get my front squat stronger to help with cleans and for the last 2 weeks ive been front squatting about every other day, after the normal class workout.

it really is amazing what your body can do and how quick it adapts when you start pushing it.

Originally Posted By: cameron00
If I send my neighbors a text and ask them to give me feedback on my lawn and plant rye into a giant dong pattern, I'm probably going to get some less than positive feedback. Same goes here.
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide