6244064 Posts

Max Online: 16728 @ 03/25/12 08:51 AM
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#6243048 - 03/31/16 12:44 PM USDA aerial hunters-idiots
Choctaw Online   content
Extreme Tracker

Loc: Texoma
Yesterday my sister was on our place in Haskell County checking on the cattle. She heard a helicopter flying low and then some shooting. The helicopter turned right over her and she saw a guy with a rifle leaning out looking at her (Strike 1 for the feds). She called 911 and then headed out of the pasture onto the road. As she pulled onto the road four USDA pickups pulled up full of federal employees onto our property (Strike 2 for the feds). They showed her a map and said (with a snotty attitude) they had permission from the landowner to hunt hogs there (Strike 3 for the feds). Guess what, she is the landowner. They had no landowner or agent signed authorization. Basically they had a google map and nothing else (Strike 4 for the feds). Idiots. The USDA employees said both their pilot and gunner had flown in Iraq and were very professional. Oh okay, that makes everything just hunky-dory. Big freaking deal.

Haskell County SO showed up and had the helicopter put on the ground. He asked my sister if she wanted to press charges because he was ready to make arrests and to impound all their vehicles including the helicopter. Apparently this wasn't his first rodeo with these losers. She was torn. On the one hand we are working hard at hog eradication. On the other hand we don't want armed bozos flying around our place without permission running and gunning. We have cattle and spend tons of time there. She is a nice person and decided they had just made a mistake. In the end she let them off the hook. Her call, I wasn't there.

I'm going out there Saturday to make sure none of our cattle were hit. If any were hit we will revisit the not filing charges thing.

#6243057 - 03/31/16 12:55 PM Re: USDA aerial hunters-idiots [Re: Choctaw]
Creekrunner Online   happy
THF Trophy Hunter

Loc: Bexar/Gillespie, hunt Terrell
'Gotta love that sheriff's department though. Kudos to them.

Yes this would piss me off royally too if it was my sister. Sic 'em.

#6243077 - 03/31/16 01:19 PM Re: USDA aerial hunters-idiots [Re: Creekrunner]
Choctaw Online   content
Extreme Tracker

Originally Posted By: Creekrunner
'Gotta love that sheriff's department though. Kudos to them.

Yes this would piss me off royally too if it was my sister. Sic 'em.

Yes, the SO did a very good job. It was just such a weird incident. She asked the gunner if he had at least killed any hogs but he wouldn't say anything.

#6243082 - 03/31/16 01:24 PM Re: USDA aerial hunters-idiots [Re: Choctaw]
BigPig Online   content
THF Trophy Hunter

Loc: Forney, Tx
So what excuse dos the USDA give for heli-hunting anyways? I don't know the full scope of their duties, but areial hunting seems like a bad use of tax payers money and improper use of federal equipment. I think she made the right decision, not telling what kind of recourse they could do to y'all, even though it would be retaliation.

Originally Posted By: pegasaurus
Enjoy it while you can. One day you might be complaining about NOT getting random pop-ups in the morning. grin

#6243105 - 03/31/16 01:58 PM Re: USDA aerial hunters-idiots [Re: Choctaw]
Creekrunner Online   happy
THF Trophy Hunter

Loc: Bexar/Gillespie, hunt Terrell
LO of my deer lease flies for them, mostly out west I think. His gunners use Bennelli shotguns. 'Said some of those guys have to quit for shoulder surgery. I don't know the particulars of how he gets hired.

#6243149 - 03/31/16 02:35 PM Re: USDA aerial hunters-idiots [Re: BigPig]
CaveManRancher Offline
Tracker

Loc: Sonora, Texas
Originally Posted By: BigPig
So what excuse dos the USDA give for heli-hunting anyways? I don't know the full scope of their duties, but areial hunting seems like a bad use of tax payers money and improper use of federal equipment. I think she made the right decision, not telling what kind of recourse they could do to y'all, even though it would be retaliation.

Pigs do millions of dollars worth of damage each year. The USDA, state and local agencies are all pitching in to try and get a handle on the pig problem. They probably had an LOA from a neighbor landowner but didn't care or didn't do the proper research to know if they were off property or not. I'm sure they've done it plenty of times and hadn't been caught. around here we bring maps and have a meeting outlining where to fly etc

#6243171 - 03/31/16 02:48 PM Re: USDA aerial hunters-idiots [Re: Choctaw]
QuitShootinYoungBucks Online   content
THF Trophy Hunter

Loc: Lubbock, TX
'Here's the deal, guys. I get a day of hunting out of the helicopter or the deputy here starts slapping cuffs'

#6243173 - 03/31/16 02:48 PM Re: USDA aerial hunters-idiots [Re: Choctaw]
ndhunter Offline
Veteran Tracker

Loc: Dallas, TX
Originally Posted By: Choctaw
Yesterday my sister was on our place in Haskell County checking on the cattle. She heard a helicopter flying low and then some shooting. The helicopter turned right over her and she saw a guy with a rifle leaning out looking at her (Strike 1 for the feds). She called 911 and then headed out of the pasture onto the road. As she pulled onto the road four USDA pickups pulled up full of federal employees onto our property (Strike 2 for the feds). They showed her a map and said (with a snotty attitude) they had permission from the landowner to hunt hogs there (Strike 3 for the feds). Guess what, she is the landowner. They had no landowner or agent signed authorization. Basically they had a google map and nothing else (Strike 4 for the feds). Idiots. The USDA employees said both their pilot and gunner had flown in Iraq and were very professional. Oh okay, that makes everything just hunky-dory. Big freaking deal.

Haskell County SO showed up and had the helicopter put on the ground. He asked my sister if she wanted to press charges because he was ready to make arrests and to impound all their vehicles including the helicopter. Apparently this wasn't his first rodeo with these losers. She was torn. On the one hand we are working hard at hog eradication. On the other hand we don't want armed bozos flying around our place without permission running and gunning. We have cattle and spend tons of time there. She is a nice person and decided they had just made a mistake. In the end she let them off the hook. Her call, I wasn't there.

I'm going out there Saturday to make sure none of our cattle were hit. If any were hit we will revisit the not filing charges thing.

Sounds familiar, check out this post from Haskell County
http://texashuntingforum.com/forum/ubbth...-_H#Post5985070

#6243187 - 03/31/16 02:56 PM Re: USDA aerial hunters-idiots [Re: Choctaw]
Red Cloud Online   content
Pro Tracker

Loc: Weatherford, Texas
I can see both sides of the situation here, HOWEVER I am behind the SO 100% (you and your sister also). I am a retired Federal Special Agent. The "Feds" on this assignment for USDA should be taken to task on this not the eradication program but the individuals involved. Based on your sisters testimony, they endangered your sister and your cattle. Good luck, I hope you don't find any stiff legged cattle Saturday.

#6243258 - 03/31/16 04:01 PM Re: USDA aerial hunters-idiots [Re: Choctaw]
shootist mike Offline
Green Horn

Chocktaw,

Was it a white chopper with red and blue markings, maybe a Hughes 500-D?

#6243265 - 03/31/16 04:04 PM Re: USDA aerial hunters-idiots [Re: QuitShootinYoungBucks]
sig226fan (Rguns.com) Online   happy
duck & cover

Loc: Hickory Creek, Fannin Co. Texa...
Originally Posted By: QuitShootinYoungBucks
'Here's the deal, guys. I get a day of hunting a month for life out of the helicopter or the deputy here starts slapping cuffs'

FIFY

Edited by sig226fan (Rguns.com) (03/31/16 04:04 PM)

You have a friend in the gun business!

www.Rguns.com
Vernon Richardson
Richardson's Gun Shop
Hickory Creek Hunting Company
3701 FM 816
Wolfe City, TX 75496
903-496-7747
Email vernon at rguns dot com

#6243268 - 03/31/16 04:07 PM Re: USDA aerial hunters-idiots [Re: Choctaw]
stxranchman Offline
Obie Juan Kenobi

I would also be concerned about them running WT bucks this time of the year and causing antler damage in velvet. No way I would have let them off that easy.

#6243314 - 03/31/16 04:55 PM Re: USDA aerial hunters-idiots [Re: shootist mike]
titan2232 Online   content
Veteran Tracker

Loc: Conroe, TX
Originally Posted By: shootist mike
Chocktaw,

Was it a white chopper with red and blue markings, maybe a Hughes 500-D?

peep

#6243868 - 04/01/16 07:01 AM Re: USDA aerial hunters-idiots [Re: Choctaw]
Choctaw Online   content
Extreme Tracker

Well, the cattle are fine. We got them all in the trap late yesterday evening. That was my main concern.

#6243885 - 04/01/16 07:15 AM Re: USDA aerial hunters-idiots [Re: Choctaw]
maximus_flavius Online   content
Bird Dog

She's alot nicer than I am. I would have taken the SO up on their offer.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >

© 2004-2016 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide