Forums46
Topics537,699
Posts9,727,891
Members87,033
Most Online25,604
Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Top Gun Shooting Range Permanently Closed? What Happened? #6238301 03/27/16 10:16 PM
B
Beckett Offline OP
Tracker
OP Offline
Tracker
B
I've been going to the 500 yd range in Leonard (North of McKinney) for several years now. Message on answering machine says they are permanently closed? It was such a great place to practice for those long range hunting shots.

Anybody know what happened?

NRA LIFE MEMBER
Re: Top Gun Shooting Range Permanently Closed? What Happened? [Re: Beckett] #6238360 03/27/16 11:30 PM
R
R.M. Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
R
I was there a couple of weeks ago ..

what happened?

Re: Top Gun Shooting Range Permanently Closed? What Happened? [Re: Beckett] #6238373 03/27/16 11:44 PM
R
Rustler Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
R
Their website says, closed for renovations starting March 17th.

Re: Top Gun Shooting Range Permanently Closed? What Happened? [Re: Beckett] #6239864 03/29/16 03:21 AM
J.G. Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Heard a guy was building a house behind them, and wants it shut down.

[Linked Image]
800 Yard Steel Range
Precision Rifle Instruction
Memberships and Classes Available
Re: Top Gun Shooting Range Permanently Closed? What Happened? [Re: Beckett] #6242150 03/30/16 11:29 PM
J
jimbob Online Content
Pro Tracker
Online Content
Pro Tracker
J
Building a new water plant right down the street too.

Re: Top Gun Shooting Range Permanently Closed? What Happened? [Re: J.G.] #6242161 03/30/16 11:37 PM
S
SnakeWrangler Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
S
Originally Posted By: FiremanJG

I'd tell him build a big berm...we were here first....

Originally Posted by Sneaky
I believe in science and I’m an insufferable [censored]
Originally Posted by beaversnipe
Actually, BBC is pretty damn good

"You Cannot Simultaneously Be Politically Correct And Intellectually Honest!"
Re: Top Gun Shooting Range Permanently Closed? What Happened? [Re: SnakeWrangler] #6242381 03/31/16 01:59 AM
R
retiredLE Offline
Green Horn
Green Horn
R
not nearly as remote as their customers from rich suburbs believed. 500 yd range on 501 yd piece of land. Many families in the area, and They were there first, not TG. ... and all day Sunday?.... that day is for rest and Church, not 7 hrs of large caliber, small berms and no soundproofing.

Re: Top Gun Shooting Range Permanently Closed? What Happened? [Re: Beckett] #6242536 03/31/16 04:16 AM
L
LuckyHunter Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
L
Some people move next to a landfill then start complaining about the smell. violin

Lucky 7 Exotic Ranch located in Eden, Tx. Well managed self sustaining herds roaming our 3,000 acre ranch. First Class Lodging, Ranch style meals and qualified guides. 30+ species.
Re: Top Gun Shooting Range Permanently Closed? What Happened? [Re: Beckett] #6242882 03/31/16 03:31 PM
C
ChadTRG42 Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
C
I spoke to Top Gun about this. There are multiple items in play.

[Linked Image]
Custom and Precision Ammunition!!
https://DallasReloads.com/
Type 01 and Type 06 FFL
Re: Top Gun Shooting Range Permanently Closed? What Happened? [Re: Beckett] #6242924 03/31/16 03:59 PM
J
jimbob Online Content
Pro Tracker
Online Content
Pro Tracker
J
Quote:

So will they reopen ?

Re: Top Gun Shooting Range Permanently Closed? What Happened? [Re: Beckett] #6243103 03/31/16 06:54 PM
sig226fan (Rguns.com) Offline
duck & cover
duck & cover
Water treatment plant is miles down the road, and years away

Re: Top Gun Shooting Range Permanently Closed? What Happened? [Re: jimbob] #6243107 03/31/16 07:00 PM
C
ChadTRG42 Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
C
Originally Posted By: jimbob
Quote:

So will they reopen ?

They are considering all options right now. For the next few weeks (3-4 weeks), they will be closed. I was asked not to disclose the details, so I'll honor that.

[Linked Image]
Type 01 and Type 06 FFL
Re: Top Gun Shooting Range Permanently Closed? What Happened? [Re: LuckyHunter] #6243935 04/01/16 12:47 PM
C
Choctaw Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
C
Originally Posted By: SheepHunter
Some people move next to a landfill then start complaining about the smell. violin

The same as idiots who move near an airport and whine about the aircraft noise.

This happened to one of my former agencies in the Bee Caves area of Austin. Our agency's gun range had been out there for years. Then people (probably liberals) started building houses nearby and complained about the range noise. My first FTO (1987) told me the secret of life: "People are just stupid."

Re: Top Gun Shooting Range Permanently Closed? What Happened? [Re: Beckett] #6245830 04/03/16 12:47 AM
B
Beckett Offline OP
Tracker
OP Offline
Tracker
B
Too bad, great place and really nice people.

NRA LIFE MEMBER
Re: Top Gun Shooting Range Permanently Closed? What Happened? [Re: SnakeWrangler] #6246115 04/03/16 01:21 PM
Double Naught Spy Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
Originally Posted By: SnakeWrangler

North Texas Shooters Association had a similar problem and as a result curtailed all their early morning and late hour shooting. The range was there first.

The gun range in McKinney was shut down by the city, ostensibly because they wanted to expand the airport. The gun range was in place before the airport's planned expansion.

This range in Kaufman has had repeated issues. http://www.terrelltribune.com/community/article_a20554a6-098b-11e5-8884-ab2007bc683e.html The range was the late comer, but that really isn't the issue. The issue is that valid and legal lawsuits can be brought against the range and harm operations while being very expensive. Just looking at the picture of the range, I would say that the neighbors have a lot of reason to be concerned about safety. It certainly does not meet NRA standards for range construction. http://www.northeasttexastactical.com/

You can google 'texas gun range shut down' and find all sorts of examples where gun ranges are getting shut down, mostly due to safety issues. It doesn't matter who came first.

Hogdalorian - Si vis pacem cum sus, para bellum.
My Videos https://www.youtube.com/user/HornHillRange
Re: Top Gun Shooting Range Permanently Closed? What Happened? [Re: Beckett] #6248883 04/05/16 08:26 PM
B
BigDad Offline
Tracker
Tracker
B
Sorry to hear about this, it's my favorite place to shoot albeit an hour drive for me. Nice folks and good quality shooting benches now.

Joe
Re: Top Gun Shooting Range Permanently Closed? What Happened? [Re: Double Naught Spy] #6248944 04/05/16 08:58 PM
L
LuckyHunter Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
L
Originally Posted By: Double Naught Spy
Originally Posted By: SnakeWrangler

North Texas Shooters Association had a similar problem and as a result curtailed all their early morning and late hour shooting. The range was there first.

The gun range in McKinney was shut down by the city, ostensibly because they wanted to expand the airport. The gun range was in place before the airport's planned expansion.

This range in Kaufman has had repeated issues. http://www.terrelltribune.com/community/article_a20554a6-098b-11e5-8884-ab2007bc683e.html The range was the late comer, but that really isn't the issue. The issue is that valid and legal lawsuits can be brought against the range and harm operations while being very expensive. Just looking at the picture of the range, I would say that the neighbors have a lot of reason to be concerned about safety. It certainly muyloco does not meet NRA standards for range construction. http://www.northeasttexastactical.com/

You can google 'texas gun range shut down' and find all sorts of examples where gun ranges are getting shut down, mostly due to safety issues. It doesn't matter who came first.

We quit forgetting there are no competent gun owners out there.... The guns just go off by themselves . The person who built their house behind the backstops are the smart one's muyloco
Welcome to 2016

Last edited by SheepHunter; 04/06/16 01:39 AM.

Lucky 7 Exotic Ranch located in Eden, Tx. Well managed self sustaining herds roaming our 3,000 acre ranch. First Class Lodging, Ranch style meals and qualified guides. 30+ species.
Re: Top Gun Shooting Range Permanently Closed? What Happened? [Re: Beckett] #6249572 04/06/16 11:20 AM
S
Squirrel Sniper Offline
Light Foot
Light Foot
S
Since its county, who'd have the jurisdiction to shut it down? Seems it'd end up with a judge making a ruling.I quit going when they stopped allowing fmj.Nice to have a range out to 500 though.

Choot 'em!
Re: Top Gun Shooting Range Permanently Closed? What Happened? [Re: Beckett] #6249607 04/06/16 12:14 PM
J
jimbob Online Content
Pro Tracker
Online Content
Pro Tracker
J
[quote][Water treatment plant is miles down the road, and years away/quote]
Done with 60% Design now. Will be moving dirt early next year

Re: Top Gun Shooting Range Permanently Closed? What Happened? [Re: Squirrel Sniper] #6249855 04/06/16 03:35 PM
C
ChadTRG42 Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
C
Originally Posted By: Squirrel Sniper
Since its county, who'd have the jurisdiction to shut it down? Seems it'd end up with a judge making a ruling.I quit going when they stopped allowing fmj.Nice to have a range out to 500 though.

Incorrect on the judge topic, not a reason at all. One of the reasons is that shooters sneak in and shoot FMJ rounds. The RO's inspect their ammo, yet shooters who don't know a thing still pull out the FMJ ammo and shoot it. Top Gun has asked manyh a shooters to leave after shooting FMJ ammo. The reason ranges do not allow FMJ ammo is because of insurance reasons. FMJ's ricochet of objects, targets, berms, and travel outside of the range. Insurance companies will not allow FMJ ammo for this reason.

And most shooters shooting FMJ ammo want volume, not quality. Most of the AR shooters on public ranges can't hold a 12"-24" group at 100 yards, let alone when shooting out further.

[Linked Image]
Type 01 and Type 06 FFL
Re: Top Gun Shooting Range Permanently Closed? What Happened? [Re: Beckett] #6250046 04/06/16 06:57 PM
Double Naught Spy Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
Quote:
We quit forgetting there are no competent gun owners out there.... The guns just go off by themselves . The person who built their house behind the backstops are the smart one's muyloco
Welcome to 2016

Well, apparently the lack of competent gun owners is a problem as Chad just noted.

As for where people build their houses, they have every right to build anywhere on their property that is legal and should be able to feel safe from gunfire. Any gunfire that crosses property lines in such a case would be illegal, intentional or not. It is the responsibility of the range and its clients to see that such events don't happen.

In numerous previous cases, the judges tend to side with the victims when they can show proof and that either results in ranges being shut down or paying hefty amounts of money to the victims, often coinciding with hefty costs of renovation that should have already been implemented.

When ranges don't take complaints seriously, the costs in the long run often are much greater, just delayed.

Hogdalorian - Si vis pacem cum sus, para bellum.
My Videos https://www.youtube.com/user/HornHillRange
Re: Top Gun Shooting Range Permanently Closed? What Happened? [Re: Double Naught Spy] #6250273 04/06/16 11:16 PM
L
LuckyHunter Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
L
Originally Posted By: Double Naught Spy
Quote:
Welcome to 2016

Well, apparently the lack of competent gun owners is a problem as Chad just noted.

As for where people build their houses, they have every right to build anywhere on their property that is legal and should be able to feel safe from gunfire. Any gunfire that crosses property lines in such a case would be illegal, intentional or not. It is the responsibility of the range and its clients to see that such events don't happen.

In numerous previous cases, the judges tend to side with the victims when they can show proof and that either results in ranges being shut down or paying hefty amounts of money to the victims, often coinciding with hefty costs of renovation that should have already been implemented.

When ranges don't take complaints seriously, the costs in the long run often are much greater, just delayed.

Now were talking....The few ruin it for the many...ie "Gun control"

I had a private gun range for 35 years. I had rules. My neighbor decided to build his house 100 yards behind my berm. His right.....I never missed a lick "My right" . Then again in my book personal responsibility is a responsibility. If one person ever fired a FMJ on my place they would have faced my attorney and then a judge. I took my responsibility seriously.
My neighbor however had plenty of other areas to build.... He took the personal responsibility of placing his home behind an active shooting range. flag

Re: Top Gun Shooting Range Permanently Closed? What Happened? [Re: Beckett] #6250497 04/07/16 01:48 AM
R
retiredLE Offline
Green Horn
Green Horn
R
A lot of Misinformation from the rich suburban counties... Top Gun was not 'there first'...one of the poorest counties in the state, there are NO New houses in this area, the neighbors have been there 15 to 50 years if one would look around when driving his $50k 4WD SUV or Pickup-- without a speck of dirt--from N.Dallas/Plano/Frisco/McKinney to the range. (There are no paved or chip sealed County Roads in Fannin, just the cheapest gravel.). So moving next to an existing airport or dump analogy is an ignorant one. It is such a long drive for some of the customers, don't you wish someone would build a 500yd range Right Next Door to you in your zero lot house tomorrow ?? How convenient then! Oh, now that would be different. It's all a matter of perspective.
...and as my first FTO said to me...(in 19-77). 'People are garbage"

Re: Top Gun Shooting Range Permanently Closed? What Happened? [Re: retiredLE] #6250548 04/07/16 02:29 AM
L
LuckyHunter Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
L
Originally Posted By: retiredLE
A lot of Misinformation from the rich suburban counties... Top Gun was not 'there first'...one of the poorest counties in the state, there are NO New houses in this area, the neighbors have been there 15 to 50 years if one would look around when driving his $50k 4WD SUV or Pickup-- without a speck of dirt--from N.Dallas/Plano/Frisco/McKinney to the range. (There are no paved or chip sealed County Roads in Fannin, just the cheapest gravel.). So moving next to an existing airport or dump analogy is an ignorant one. It is such a long drive for some of the customers, don't you wish someone would build a 500yd range Right Next Door to you in your zero lot house tomorrow ?? How convenient then! Oh, now that would be different. It's all a matter of perspective.

From a poster in the know. What is the real problem with Top Gun. No new houses, no new neighbors, no airport... sounds like it should be a business as usual. Why the shut down? My assumption were based on prior post being factual. Looking forward to your actual event updates.

Last edited by SheepHunter; 04/07/16 03:19 AM.

Re: Top Gun Shooting Range Permanently Closed? What Happened? [Re: retiredLE] #6250755 04/07/16 12:15 PM
P
Pitchfork Predator Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
P
Originally Posted By: retiredLE

What do you expect to accomplish when you group all the people from the cities you mention together as rich and ignorant? I guess your FTO is right about you.

Last edited by Pitchfork Predator; 04/07/16 12:16 PM.

Marc C. Helfrich
Retirement Planner

www.insured-wealth.com
469-323-8920
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide