Forum Stats
60502 Members
45 Forums
476393 Topics
6249580 Posts

Max Online: 16728 @ 03/25/12 08:51 AM
Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 >
Topic Options
#6239885 - 03/28/16 10:46 PM Lee loading can go out of business for all I care.
FiremanJG Offline
THF Celebrity

Loc: Wolfe City, TX
I have a Lee universal decapping die, that the stem broke several months ago. I turned down a replacement and got by with it for a while. Saturday I went through the online process to get a replacement stem sent to me. I provided name address, phone number, email address, mailing address, and explained the problem. Here is the reply I received.

Hi Jason,

Please send a photo of the broken part in a reply email or send the part in to the factory for a warranty replacement.

Sincerely,

Lee Precision, Inc.
4275 Highway U
Hartford, WI 53027

The short version is, I told them I would put the die in the scrap metal bin, and never buy from Lee again. Their website says that part costs $3, and they want me to satisfy their curiosity over it?

I also told them their die lock rings are the worst in the industry. smile

800 Yard Steel Rifle Range
Long Range Shooting Instruction
Memberships and Classes Available

#6239891 - 03/28/16 10:49 PM Re: Lee loading can go out of business for all I care. [Re: FiremanJG]
Mickey Moose Offline
Veteran Tracker

I would humor them with a picture via email but that's it. That doesn't mean I disagree with your stance regarding the $3 part.

Sorry for your frustration - hopefully you feel a little better after posting this though!

* In search of 1 or 2 person lease, 3 hours from DFW, Please PM me

#6239894 - 03/28/16 10:51 PM Re: Lee loading can go out of business for all I care. [Re: FiremanJG]
tenyearsgone Offline
Pro Tracker

Ever think that they have the photo or mail-in requirement because they don't want to send replacement parts so someone can just have extra? Situations like this are why I'd never want to be in CS. Too many people whining about mundane things. You could've sent a pic in the amount of time it took for this thread.

You couldn't get a new part on your vehicle without them having proof the one being replaced is defective. You going to never buy another vehicle again? I don't know one manufacturer that would warranty just based on a customer's word.

Edited by tenyearsgone (03/28/16 10:54 PM)

#6239923 - 03/28/16 11:13 PM Re: Lee loading can go out of business for all I care. [Re: tenyearsgone]
rjd Online   content
Tracker

Loc: Mabank, TEXAS
Originally Posted By: tenyearsgone
Ever think that they have the photo or mail-in requirement because they don't want to send replacement parts so someone can just have extra? Situations like this are why I'd never want to be in CS. Too many people whining about mundane things. You could've sent a pic in the amount of time it took for this thread.

You couldn't get a new part on your vehicle without them having proof the one being replaced is defective. You going to never buy another vehicle again? I don't know one manufacturer that would warranty just based on a customer's word.

You evidently have not dealt with RCBS. I have had dies that I bought used with a crooked spindle. Called them, telling them it was a used die, and they still sent the part at no cost to me.

#6239928 - 03/28/16 11:20 PM Re: Lee loading can go out of business for all I care. [Re: rjd]
tenyearsgone Offline
Pro Tracker

Originally Posted By: rjd
Originally Posted By: tenyearsgone

You evidently have not dealt with RCBS. I have had dies that I bought used with a crooked spindle. Called them, telling them it was a used die, and they still sent the part at no cost to me.

I haven't had any problems with my RCBS dies. It's still not a ridiculous request to email a pic. Maybe on top of proof, they want it for R&D? Everyone always thinks companies are out to screw with them.

#6239961 - 03/29/16 12:33 AM Re: Lee loading can go out of business for all I care. [Re: FiremanJG]
bside Offline
Bird Dog

Loc: DFW
I have a couple extra... I'll be happy to give you one

as long as you send me a picture of the broken one :-P I kid, I'll totally send you one though

#6239982 - 03/29/16 05:43 AM Re: Lee loading can go out of business for all I care. [Re: FiremanJG]
hovercat Offline
Bird Dog

Loc: Pantego, TX
My guess is that Lee wants to ensure that they send the correct part. Not everyone is knowledgeable about what the part is called by the industry.

#6239983 - 03/29/16 05:45 AM Re: Lee loading can go out of business for all I care. [Re: FiremanJG]
Blanco Online   content
Tracker

Loc: Ft.Worth
I have sent Lee pictures before and they have never questioned me.
On high wear and breakage parts I just order several spares in advance. If you reload your gonna break things.
I know its the principle, but Geeze a $3.00 part ???
If your that hurt over it send me the pieces you tossed in the trash...

Edited by Blanco (03/29/16 05:48 AM)

My dog gives me the bird!

#6239990 - 03/29/16 05:56 AM Re: Lee loading can go out of business for all I care. [Re: FiremanJG]
RiverRider Offline
THF Trophy Hunter

Loc: Wise Co.
I agree with JG. RCBS and Hornady have sent me replacement parts without batting an eye. I suspect Redding would treat me just as well. Lee has never been so willing to please their customers in my own experience.

Originally Posted By: Cleric
God I am hating caliber threads more and more

#6240023 - 03/29/16 07:00 AM Re: Lee loading can go out of business for all I care. [Re: FiremanJG]
GasGuzzler Offline
Pro Tracker

Loc: Cooke County, Texas
Typical Lee hate.

They keep costs down with a couple extra steps. No biggie. I'd just buy two more. All decap pins can break. I have all colors and shop accordingly.

#6240051 - 03/29/16 07:29 AM Re: Lee loading can go out of business for all I care. [Re: GasGuzzler]
FiremanJG Offline
THF Celebrity

I broke that part eight months ago, called them then, and they asked for me to jump through some hoops. I didn't have time to wait on them, so I made a new stem on the lathe. I explained that in my reply and that I did not have THEIR broken part to show them a picture of. I also explained that RCBS never asks their customers for proof that things have broken.

Yes it is principal. Instead of waiting on Lee to get their thumb our of their a$$ I'll just order and RCBS die today. Should've known better.

And what's wrong with having one extra stem sitting around? Some of us don't live in the city where we can just quickly go get a new one.

#6240057 - 03/29/16 07:35 AM Re: Lee loading can go out of business for all I care. [Re: RiverRider]
FiremanJG Offline
THF Celebrity

For those thinking its just sour grapes from me, you probably never saw the post I made last year, or year before, about RCBS. I talked them up when I called customer service, because they did a fine job. I will share good customer service experiences just as much as I will share bad ones. Usual gun/ optics/ loading industry customer service has been good, that's why Lee got under my skin on this one.

#6240091 - 03/29/16 08:04 AM Re: Lee loading can go out of business for all I care. [Re: FiremanJG]
Txhillbilly Offline
Bird Dog

Loc: Johnson County
That's why I have a bunch of spares for all the brands of dies that I use. RCBS decapping pins are the worst pins on the market.I dont even use their decapping dies anymore. I've never broke a Lee pin, but have bent the crap out of a few on crimped primers.

#6240133 - 03/29/16 08:46 AM Re: Lee loading can go out of business for all I care. [Re: Txhillbilly]
FiremanJG Offline
THF Celebrity

The whole rod and pin was one piece of steel turned down to fit in the flash hole. No pin to unscrew and replace. I've broken RCBS and Redding pins before, and contacted them. Guess what! They each sent be about five spare pins. Pins break, it happens, thus the frustration with Lee in this case.

#6240155 - 03/29/16 09:02 AM Re: Lee loading can go out of business for all I care. [Re: FiremanJG]
oldoak2000 Offline
Veteran Tracker

Loc: Denton, TX
How is it 'BAD customer service',
when they agree to honor THEIR terms, ie (..."they will be repaired or replaced at no charge if returned to the factory..." )

If anything, LEE should be applauded by accepting a photo in lieu of the actual physical return.

Sorry FiremanJG, you're response just stinks on this one frown

Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 >

© 2004-2016 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide