Page 1 of 2 1 2
Cow vs. Pig #6238938 03/28/16 03:02 PM
R
redchevy Offline OP
THF Celebrity
OP Offline
THF Celebrity
R
I have been a big fan of brisket my entire life, its easily in the running for my favorite food. I cooked a brisket and boston but for pulled pork this weekend and both came out great, but I think my world has changed. I preferred the pulled pork over the brisket and in my opinion its easier to cook than the brisket too.

Not to mention the pork but was $1/lb and the brisket was $2/lb.

It's hell eatin em live
Re: Cow vs. Pig [Re: redchevy] #6238954 03/28/16 03:18 PM
bill oxner Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
I'll take the pulled pork every time.

Quail hunting is like walking into, and out of a beautiful painting all day long. Gene Hill

[Linked Image]

Re: Cow vs. Pig [Re: redchevy] #6239000 03/28/16 03:49 PM
Cast Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
There ain't a single thing wrong with good PP, and it is much easier than smoking a brisket, BUT, PP is just too easy, any doofus can do that!

I'm much prouder of a perfect brisket.

Cast

[Linked Image]

I have a short attention spa
Re: Cow vs. Pig [Re: redchevy] #6239082 03/28/16 05:04 PM
S
StretchR Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
S
Pulled pork is what I grew up knowing as "bar-b-que." I've been in Texas a while (since I left the Army in '92) and smoked brisket has grown on me some. I much prefer the point to the flat, though. If the only choice is flat vs pork then the pork will win every time. If there is fat, juicy, point then I'll eat that AND the pork.

I agree that smoking a pork butt or a shoulder is pretty easy. That's one of the reasons I like it. I also do a pretty fair brisket... no one eating it has ever complained.

Re: Cow vs. Pig [Re: StretchR] #6239117 03/28/16 05:31 PM
R
redchevy Offline OP
THF Celebrity
OP Offline
THF Celebrity
R
Originally Posted By: StretchR
Pulled pork is what I grew up knowing as "bar-b-que." I've been in Texas a while (since I left the Army in '92) and smoked brisket has grown on me some. I much prefer the point to the flat, though. If the only choice is flat vs pork then the pork will win every time. If there is fat, juicy, point then I'll eat that AND the pork.

I agree that smoking a pork butt or a shoulder is pretty easy. That's one of the reasons I like it. I also do a pretty fair brisket... no one eating it has ever complained.

No doubt I prefer the point over the flat 100 to 1. When people ask for extra lean brisket if im next in line I always tell the person ill take their extra fat food roflmao

It's hell eatin em live
Re: Cow vs. Pig [Re: redchevy] #6239123 03/28/16 05:41 PM
oldoak2000 Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
Originally Posted By: redchevy
I have been a big fan of brisket my entire life, its easily in the running for my favorite food. I cooked a brisket and boston but for pulled pork this weekend and both came out great, but I think my world has changed. I preferred the pulled pork over the brisket and in my opinion its easier to cook than the brisket too.

Welcome to Old Age!

Check back in a decade or two (to let us know that SPAM is now great (or alpo in the can)) wink

Re: Cow vs. Pig [Re: redchevy] #6239269 03/28/16 07:41 PM
P
PMK Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
P
although I don't fire up my pit as frequent as I would like, when I do, I tend to fill that baby up to later vacuum seal and freeze for later. My preferred meat of choice is beef, followed by pork and on down to fowl. I do like pulled pork, but I actually prefer smoked pork like a brisket and then sliced. Pork does tend to seem easier to smoke/cook and is by far cheaper, heck even pork loin is cheaper than the lowest priced beef as of late.

now out of curiosity, why do ya'll prefer to pull your pork over merely slicing it?

"everyone that lives dies but not everyone who dies lived..."

~PMK~
Re: Cow vs. Pig [Re: redchevy] #6239274 03/28/16 07:44 PM
Cast Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Yes, I do pull it using two forks. AND, you are correct in that smoked and sliced pork is better than PP.

Cast

[Linked Image]

I have a short attention spa
Re: Cow vs. Pig [Re: redchevy] #6239281 03/28/16 07:48 PM
R
redchevy Offline OP
THF Celebrity
OP Offline
THF Celebrity
R
I cant say I prefer it one way or the other. I have eaten it sliced as well.

This one and most of the others I have cooked are impossible to slice, just falling apart. I pulled the bone out with two fingers. I like pulled because I can eat it many different ways. I put it in breakfast tacos, make nachos and tacos. Also it seems easier to weed out some of the big chunks of fat when pulling it. I was glad I didn't have any leftovers because I didn't need to be eating that all week, but now im contemplating buying one on the way home and smoking another because I want some leftovers bang

It's hell eatin em live
Re: Cow vs. Pig [Re: PMK] #6239286 03/28/16 07:50 PM
oldoak2000 Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
Originally Posted By: PMK
... why do ya'll prefer to pull your pork over merely slicing it?

easier and holds moisture/flavor better!

yup - pork smoked with pecan wood is just divine!

Re: Cow vs. Pig [Re: oldoak2000] #6239302 03/28/16 08:01 PM
R
redchevy Offline OP
THF Celebrity
OP Offline
THF Celebrity
R
Originally Posted By: oldoak2000

Welcome to Old Age!

Check back in a decade or two (to let us know that SPAM is now great (or alpo in the can)) wink

I just turned 30... not that old yet, but sometimes I feel like it.

It's hell eatin em live
Re: Cow vs. Pig [Re: redchevy] #6239356 03/28/16 09:09 PM
skinnerback Offline
THF Celebrity Chef
THF Celebrity Chef

No doubt I prefer the point over the flat 100 to 1. When people ask for extra lean brisket if im next in line I always tell the person ill take their extra fat food roflmao

I'm the opposite, I'm a flat man. I don't want any fat on mine just pure tender meat. Pulled pork is good but prefer feral over domestic any day. Domestic is too fatty for me. I smoked a couple domestic pork butts a few months ago and even after picking out as much fat as I could when I pulled it, was still too greasy for me. I don't know what changed but greasy pork started making me sick to my stomach a few years back. I've known a few people like you though that loved brisket fat and would go around eating everybody's. roflmao

Re: Cow vs. Pig [Re: redchevy] #6239374 03/28/16 09:27 PM
N
Navasot Offline
Hollywood
Hollywood
N
barf

gristle and fat

Re: Cow vs. Pig [Re: skinnerback] #6239381 03/28/16 09:32 PM
R
redchevy Offline OP
THF Celebrity
OP Offline
THF Celebrity
R
Originally Posted By: skinnerback

I'm the opposite, I'm a flat man. I don't want any fat on mine just pure tender meat. Pulled pork is good but prefer feral over domestic any day. Domestic is too fatty for me. I smoked a couple domestic pork butts a few months ago and even after picking out as much fat as I could when I pulled it, was still too greasy for me. I don't know what changed but greasy pork started making me sick to my stomach a few years back. I've known a few people like you though that loved brisket fat and would go around eating everybody's. roflmao

I agree on the pork. I have made a lot of pulled pork with feral pork and do prefer it because it has less fat. I have gotten sick to my stomach eating too much pork fat.

Never got sick from fat on a brisket, but I don't eat the big gobs of it either. On a well cooked brisket there is no grissle to me, its all tender. Ill eat the flat, but if you leave me to pick the cut myself it will usually come off the point.

It's hell eatin em live
Re: Cow vs. Pig [Re: redchevy] #6239418 03/28/16 10:11 PM
skinnerback Offline
THF Celebrity Chef
THF Celebrity Chef

I agree on the pork. I have made a lot of pulled pork with feral pork and do prefer it because it has less fat. I have gotten sick to my stomach eating too much pork fat.

Never got sick from fat on a brisket, but I don't eat the big gobs of it either. On a well cooked brisket there is no grissle to me, its all tender. Ill eat the flat, but if you leave me to pick the cut myself it will usually come off the point.

I'll eat some good burnt ends now..

Re: Cow vs. Pig [Re: redchevy] #6239447 03/28/16 10:36 PM
P
PMK Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
P
if that much fatty meats causes upset stomach, likely your gall bladder not functioning properly or not secreting enough bile into your intestines to help digest the fat.

"everyone that lives dies but not everyone who dies lived..."

~PMK~
Re: Cow vs. Pig [Re: redchevy] #6239587 03/29/16 12:18 AM
bill oxner Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
I will generally take ribs, chicken, or pulled pork over brisket.

Quail hunting is like walking into, and out of a beautiful painting all day long. Gene Hill

[Linked Image]

Re: Cow vs. Pig [Re: PMK] #6239655 03/29/16 01:05 AM
T
Tres Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
T
Originally Posted By: PMK
if that much fatty meats causes upset stomach, likely your gall bladder not functioning properly or not secreting enough bile into your intestines to help digest the fat.

Sh!t just got real scared

Love them both, just finished up brisket tacos tonight. I like the flat after the cook, and point for leftovers.

[Linked Image]
"Between two evils, I always pick the one I never tried before."
Re: Cow vs. Pig [Re: Cast] #6239801 03/29/16 02:45 AM
B
BigPig Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
B
Originally Posted By: Cast
There ain't a single thing wrong with good PP

Hell of a sig line right there! roflmao

Wade Dews, REALTOR ®
Rendon Realty, LLC
Frontline Real Estate Team
www.RendonRealty.com
WadeDews@gmail.com
214-356-2410
Up to 1% for closing costs for First Responders & Veterans
Proudly partnered with Assist The Officer Foundation https://atodallas.org/
Re: Cow vs. Pig [Re: BigPig] #6239834 03/29/16 03:03 AM
skinnerback Offline
THF Celebrity Chef
THF Celebrity Chef
Originally Posted By: BigPig

LMFAO rofl

Re: Cow vs. Pig [Re: skinnerback] #6240031 03/29/16 12:07 PM
S
SnakeWrangler Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
S
Originally Posted By: BigPig

LMFAO rofl

clap

I prefer wild pig to beef any day.....

Originally Posted by Sneaky
I believe in science and I’m an insufferable [censored]
Originally Posted by beaversnipe
Actually, BBC is pretty damn good

"You Cannot Simultaneously Be Politically Correct And Intellectually Honest!"
Re: Cow vs. Pig [Re: redchevy] #6240222 03/29/16 03:02 PM
H
Huntmaster Online Content
Veteran Tracker
Online Content
Veteran Tracker
H
A lot of people I know (especially girls) don't like pork, sausage, or whatever. Too fatty. Beef is a different matter.

Re: Cow vs. Pig [Re: redchevy] #6240592 03/29/16 08:36 PM
Q
QuitShootinYoungBucks Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Q
I like brisket, and I like pork, but the best brisket >>>> the best pulled pork. However, brisket can be difficult to cook while pork is very forgiving.

[Linked Image]

https://web.archive.org/web/20170223065011/http:/www.rrdvegas.com/silencer-cleaning.html
Re: Cow vs. Pig [Re: redchevy] #6240753 03/29/16 11:03 PM
R
retfuz Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
R
Smoked, pulled pork, under some southern cole slaw, between a big grilled bun with a shot of home made BBQ sauce is as good as it gets.

Re: Cow vs. Pig [Re: retfuz] #6240807 03/29/16 11:43 PM
bill oxner Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted By: retfuz
Smoked, pulled pork, under some southern cole slaw, between a big grilled bun with a shot of home made BBQ sauce is as good as it gets.

That's what I grew up eating.

[Linked Image]

Page 1 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide