Forums46
Topics536,995
Posts9,719,275
Members86,987
Most Online25,604
Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Re: Top Gun Shooting Range Permanently Closed? What Happened? [Re: Beckett] #6251086 04/07/16 05:03 PM
S
Simple Searcher Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
S
I would hate to be a gun range owner. It sound neat, but people will be shooting there.

[Linked Image]

"Man is still a hunter, still a simple searcher after meat..." Robert C. Ruark
Re: Top Gun Shooting Range Permanently Closed? What Happened? [Re: Simple Searcher] #6251162 04/07/16 06:24 PM
N
Nogalus Prairie Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
N
Originally Posted By: Simple Searcher
I would hate to be a gun range owner. It sound neat, but people will be shooting there.

Yep. I get the argument that people move around them and raise Cain - but at the same time a bullet leaving the property is a flat out trespass. Heaven forbid if it actually hits something or, worse, someone.

This doesn't even count what might happen on the premises.....

Just a big bucket of potential liability waiting for one misstep to poke a hole in it.

Originally Posted by Russ79
I learned long ago you can't reason someone out of something they don't reason themselves into.

Re: Top Gun Shooting Range Permanently Closed? What Happened? [Re: Beckett] #6251299 04/07/16 08:26 PM
L
LuckyHunter Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
L
Then again there are professionals who even through trying times continue to run safe gun ranges even in the center of a metroplex ELM FORK up

Last edited by SheepHunter; 04/07/16 08:34 PM.

Lucky 7 Exotic Ranch located in Eden, Tx. Well managed self sustaining herds roaming our 3,000 acre ranch. First Class Lodging, Ranch style meals and qualified guides. 30+ species.
Re: Top Gun Shooting Range Permanently Closed? What Happened? [Re: Nogalus Prairie] #6251316 04/07/16 08:43 PM
L
LuckyHunter Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
L
Originally Posted By: Nogalus Prairie
Originally Posted By: Simple Searcher

Yep. I get the argument that people move around them and raise Cain - but at the same time a bullet leaving the property is a flat out trespass. Heaven forbid if it actually hits something or, worse, someone.

This doesn't even count what might happen on the premises.....

Just a big bucket of potential liability waiting for one misstep to poke a hole in it.

Maybe someone knows how many people have been harmed on a gun range vs. hunting accidents, at home accidents, gun cleaning accidents, I thought it was unloaded, person hit by lighting, drunk driver, etc... Or is "gun range" safety more media driven to shut down the gun industry where the uneducated buy into a myth.

Edit: Found this article: Gun Range Safety

Last edited by SheepHunter; 04/07/16 08:54 PM.

Lucky 7 Exotic Ranch located in Eden, Tx. Well managed self sustaining herds roaming our 3,000 acre ranch. First Class Lodging, Ranch style meals and qualified guides. 30+ species.
Re: Top Gun Shooting Range Permanently Closed? What Happened? [Re: Beckett] #6251356 04/07/16 09:22 PM
Double Naught Spy Online Happy
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Happy
THF Trophy Hunter
I it isn't a matter of which type of incident is worse or happens more often. It should not happen at all. A lot of the problem ranges are poorly designed, have poor berms, and seem to rely on the space of adjoining properties as secondary bullet traps.

Hogdalorian - Si vis pacem cum sus, para bellum.
My Videos https://www.youtube.com/user/HornHillRange
Re: Top Gun Shooting Range Permanently Closed? What Happened? [Re: Double Naught Spy] #6251401 04/07/16 10:05 PM
L
LuckyHunter Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
L
Originally Posted By: Double Naught Spy
I it isn't a matter of which type of incident is worse or happens more often. It should not happen at all. A lot of the problem ranges are poorly designed, have poor berms, and seem to rely on the space of adjoining properties as secondary bullet traps.

Now a poorly designed range with poor berms, relying on the space of adjoining properties as secondary bullet traps is like opening a bar in the car pure Negligence and should be held accountable. Is Top Gun one of them?

Re: Top Gun Shooting Range Permanently Closed? What Happened? [Re: Beckett] #6251966 04/08/16 01:12 PM
J
J McCoy Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
J
Originally Posted By: ChadTRG42
[quote=Squirrel Sniper]
And most shooters shooting FMJ ammo want volume, not quality. Most of the AR shooters on public ranges can't hold a 12"-24" group at 100 yards, let alone when shooting out further.

That's being too generous, I'd take that back to 50yds.

Re: Top Gun Shooting Range Permanently Closed? What Happened? [Re: LuckyHunter] #6251991 04/08/16 01:30 PM
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Happy
THF Trophy Hunter
Originally Posted By: SheepHunter
Originally Posted By: Double Naught Spy

Now a poorly designed range with poor berms, relying on the space of adjoining properties as secondary bullet traps is like opening a bar in the car pure Negligence and should be held accountable. Is Top Gun one of them?

I posted a link to their home page above. Check out the pic of all their targets and minimal back berms with no side berms to catch ricochet and such. If you Google the property, you see that it is long and narrow.

Re: Top Gun Shooting Range Permanently Closed? What Happened? [Re: Beckett] #6252245 04/08/16 05:01 PM
L
LuckyHunter Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
L

Re: Top Gun Shooting Range Permanently Closed? What Happened? [Re: LuckyHunter] #6259212 04/14/16 02:41 AM
T
TXHOGSLAYER Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
T
Some people move next to a landfill then start complaining about the smell. violin

The same people thay move to the country and complain about hunters and the smell of cow flop.

LETS GO BRANDON
Re: Top Gun Shooting Range Permanently Closed? What Happened? [Re: Beckett] #6264039 04/17/16 06:49 PM
B
Beckett Offline OP
Tracker
OP Offline
Tracker
B
Any updates here? I noticed Top Gun's website is down now. Are they still hosting the Cowboy Action club or the shotgun course? So sad to lose such a great place.

NRA LIFE MEMBER
Re: Top Gun Shooting Range Permanently Closed? What Happened? [Re: Beckett] #6273397 04/24/16 06:30 PM
C
Cleric Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
C
From another board....

Apparently the 500 yard berm is too close to neighbors property and not tall enough.
Scuttlebutt is they have to build at least one 30 foot berm at 500 and it's gotta be farther away from neighbors property.
Also heard they may have to move the firing line back farther toward entrance to permit the overhaul.

Re: Top Gun Shooting Range Permanently Closed? What Happened? [Re: TXHOGSLAYER] #6273433 04/24/16 07:09 PM
B
blackcoal Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
B
Originally Posted By: TXHOGSLAYER
Some people move next to a landfill then start complaining about the smell. violin

The same people thay move to the country and complain about hunters and the smell of cow flop.

Then there are the wannabe hunters and shooters who move from the city to the country with their ATVs and YETI coolers who invite their friends to come up and drink and shoot till past midnight while yelling and having a big party on their 5 scres. Works both ways... cheers

The Greatest Enemy of knowledge is not ignorance,
it is the illusion of knowledge.--Stephen Hawking
Re: Top Gun Shooting Range Permanently Closed? What Happened? [Re: Beckett] #6279510 04/29/16 12:18 AM
K
Kevin1 Offline
Tracker
Tracker
K
Today I was planning to go there and zero my brand new scope (Kahles gen3 6-24). Their site was down. So I call and found out they're close! It ruined my day. It was my favorite range. I knew Thierry and had several bodies over there. Now I need to find another range and it will be very difficult.

Last edited by Kevin1; 04/29/16 12:21 AM.
Re: Top Gun Shooting Range Permanently Closed? What Happened? [Re: Beckett] #6279746 04/29/16 03:26 AM
M
munoz Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
M
Anyone tried out Jacobs plain gun club? Their website says they have a 1100 yrd range for members only. I would like to check it out since its down the road from me.

Re: Top Gun Shooting Range Permanently Closed? What Happened? [Re: LuckyHunter] #6280440 04/29/16 07:17 PM
J
Judd Online Confused
#1 Creedmoor Fan
Online Confused
#1 Creedmoor Fan
J
Then again there are professionals who even through trying times continue to run safe gun ranges even in the center of a metroplex ELM FORK up

I've heard and seen rifle bullets hit that pond behind the rifle range over in the shotgun range. LUCKY is the reason that place is still open...well that and the fact the ground it sits on is basically worthless because of being in the Trinity river bottom. I will say since I've seen that I believe they've added baffles to further help prevent it...it's been about 3 years since I've been on the shotgun range with the regularity that I did the 2 years prior to that.

It sucks that another option is gone...regardless of the reason. For what it's worth, I was not a big fan of Top Gun either...but I had shot there a few times.

Originally Posted by Phil Robertson
Don't let your ears hear what your eyes didn't see, and don't let your mouth say what your heart doesn't feel
Re: Top Gun Shooting Range Permanently Closed? What Happened? [Re: munoz] #6285126 05/03/16 06:12 PM
K
Kevin1 Offline
Tracker
Tracker
K
Originally Posted By: munoz
Anyone tried out Jacobs plain gun club? Their website says they have a 1100 yrd range for members only. I would like to check it out since its down the road from me.

According to their Facebook page, it seems that it's permanently closed.
I sent them an email last week and didn't get any reply.

Re: Top Gun Shooting Range Permanently Closed? What Happened? [Re: Beckett] #6287570 05/05/16 03:11 AM
shooterwalter Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
I was there today and they are closed and will not be open again. Period.

www.poetryshootingclub.com

Gun Dog Training, Flighty Quail

Guided/Unguided Quail Hunting

Group Events/Parties

700 Yard Range

CLOSE TO DALLAS

Take a youth shooting

214-728-2755

By appointment always and you shoot in private.

Re: Top Gun Shooting Range Permanently Closed? What Happened? [Re: Beckett] #6287578 05/05/16 03:12 AM
shooterwalter Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
I was there today and they are closed and will not be open again. Period.

www.poetryshootingclub.com

Gun Dog Training, Flighty Quail

Guided/Unguided Quail Hunting

Group Events/Parties

700 Yard Range

CLOSE TO DALLAS

Take a youth shooting

214-728-2755

By appointment always and you shoot in private.

Re: Top Gun Shooting Range Permanently Closed? What Happened? [Re: LuckyHunter] #6290891 05/07/16 11:18 PM
L
L. C. Clower Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
L

My two visits to Elm Fork I found there was lots of concrete in the overheads but not enough dirt in the berms. As to pro's, maybe the shotgun side but the RO's had nothing going but matching t-shirts.

Right-wing Libertarian.
Politically Incorrect.
Re: Top Gun Shooting Range Permanently Closed? What Happened? [Re: Beckett] #6290900 05/07/16 11:33 PM
K
Kevin1 Offline
Tracker
Tracker
K
How's TDSA in Ferris? I'm planning to go there next Saturday. If the rifle range is decent, I'll get a membership.

Re: Top Gun Shooting Range Permanently Closed? What Happened? [Re: Beckett] #6315490 05/29/16 10:31 PM
N
newbirdhunter Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
N
Just think. As Texas grows further, economically, more people (especially anti-gunners) will come in to encroach and demand forever altering the demographics, traditions, and customs of the great state of Texas. The decades old push for everyone to go to college is the vehicle being used to undertake a systematic and fundamental change to the American way of life; a means to instill the progressive narrative that is rotting the brains of our youth. Soon there won't be any outdoor places to shoot because someone will decide to build a house or playground or strip mall near to or right behind an existing shooting range. Even indoor ranges will become extinct with cities regulating them out of existence while the courts just watch. The independence and pride that made Texas great will be subsumed by the unstoppable wave of drone-like thinking and dependence on government the current Millenial crop of Bernie Sanders supporters exhibit. It feels like it's already happening in yuppified Collin County, and growing daily with each moving truck I see.

"I'm not normally a religious man, but if you're up there, save me, Superman!" -- Homer Simpson
Re: Top Gun Shooting Range Permanently Closed? What Happened? [Re: newbirdhunter] #6315864 05/30/16 04:32 AM
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Happy
THF Trophy Hunter
Originally Posted By: newbirdhunter
Soon there won't be any outdoor places to shoot because someone will decide to build a house or playground or strip mall near to or right behind an existing shooting range. Even indoor ranges will become extinct with cities regulating them out of existence while the courts just watch.

All that is necessary is for the range to own the entirety of the backstop and impact area. Thunder Ranch in Texas did this as does the Whittington Center. If you can't do that, then you have to build berms to protect your fellow citizens from possible harm caused by your customers or range members. Gun ranges don't have the luxury or right to allow discharged bullets cross property lines. Just because a range is in operation does not mean it gets to encumber all of the properties around it.

Re: Top Gun Shooting Range Permanently Closed? What Happened? [Re: Double Naught Spy] #6316012 05/30/16 01:23 PM
J.G. Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
^^Right^^

I suspected this would happen to Top Gun one day. They're extremely close to Collin County, and the building growth is spilling in all directions from the county line. When I was in search of land for y range, it was difficult. I did not want a house, barn, or even cattle beyond my range. The end if my range is a giant creek bottom. No one in their right mind will ever build a house down there. They can't insure it, and there's no utilities.

My berms are small by many standards, at 10' wide, and 6' tall. And my rules are, if you don't possess the skills to keep your rounds on the berms, then I will teach you. I am very selective at whom I allow to practice there. I've been approached by many people, whom I've never met, wanting to shoot there. I tell them all that we need to meet, and you need to show me your proficiency. It's a small portion of the population that know what they're doing beyond 300 yards. I am happy to provide a place to shoot, as long as they can show me they are safe about it. Many have not contacted me again.

[Linked Image]
800 Yard Steel Range
Precision Rifle Instruction
Memberships and Classes Available
Re: Top Gun Shooting Range Permanently Closed? What Happened? [Re: Double Naught Spy] #6316179 05/30/16 04:11 PM
N
newbirdhunter Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
N
I agree with the safety aspect - there are no arguments there. My argument is that there will soon be no place to shoot - safe or otherwise - period. The fact we are talking about finding places to shoot supports that.

"I'm not normally a religious man, but if you're up there, save me, Superman!" -- Homer Simpson
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide