Forum Stats
60449 Members
45 Forums
475962 Topics
6243650 Posts

Max Online: 16728 @ 03/25/12 08:51 AM
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#6235826 - 03/24/16 07:40 PM Educate me guys on how to German Fry meat.....
skinnerback Offline
THF Celebrity

Loc: Rockport, Tx.
I've heard this term bounced around quite a bit over the years but would like to be clear on exactly what it means as I've heard different things. Correct me if I'm wrong, but my understanding is that you bread your meat/brown it in a skillet with oil/add a little water and put a lid on it to steam & cook-tenderize/then remove lid to crisp back up. What say you?

#6235847 - 03/24/16 07:58 PM Re: Educate me guys on how to German Fry meat..... [Re: skinnerback]
udamdan Offline
THF Trophy Hunter

Loc: Dallas & Young Counties

#6235856 - 03/24/16 08:11 PM Re: Educate me guys on how to German Fry meat..... [Re: udamdan]
skinnerback Offline
THF Celebrity

Originally Posted By: udamdan

Yes sir I've had schnitzel. I thought "German Fried" meant something else though....

#6238779 - 03/28/16 07:45 AM Re: Educate me guys on how to German Fry meat..... [Re: skinnerback]
redchevy Offline
THF Celebrity

Loc: Texas
Hoping to be educated, never herd the term before. food

#6238805 - 03/28/16 08:02 AM Re: Educate me guys on how to German Fry meat..... [Re: skinnerback]
NewGulf Offline
THF Celebrity

Loc: New Gulf, Texas
its just fried food i believe

#6238836 - 03/28/16 08:29 AM Re: Educate me guys on how to German Fry meat..... [Re: skinnerback]
redchevy Offline
THF Celebrity

Only thing I can think of is some will fry and then cover in gravy and let it simmer for a while.

#6238904 - 03/28/16 09:26 AM Re: Educate me guys on how to German Fry meat..... [Re: skinnerback]
PMK Offline
Extreme Tracker

Loc: Central TX (Gtown/Austin)
I am German/Dutch on my mother's side, and my mother & grandmother used to call a lot of stuff German Fried ... I was raised with most of the stuff prepared in this manner. I am not sure if it's actually German fried, but that's what they called it and what I have called it my entire life.

basically, it is using shallow oil or bacon drippings (<1/4 inch) to cook various things while covered during the majority of the time over medium heat. A few of thing my mom made were German fried potatoes, hashbrowns, venison, sausage, dove, heart, liver and likely more things I don't recall. The process seems to retain or hold in the moisture of whatever is cooking (sorta like steaming) leaving a golden brown crust of sorts in the skillet that can be used as a basis for a gravy once the main item is cooked.

a classic example that I truly love were her potatoes. in a cast iron skillet, put in enough bacon drippings or vegetable oil to coat the bottom, slice or dice potatoes into skillet as it is starting to heat to a medium temperature and cover. leave it alone for 5 or so minutes while chopping up an onion. remove cover (don't get face too close or you will get a steam bath) and stir with a spatula, scrapping the browned crunchy stuff off the skillet, dump in the onions, salt & black pepper, replace the cover and let cook another 5 or so minutes.

she would do the same with the meat type dishes also with merely dredging the meat thru seasoned flour, no egg bath ... drop in skillet and cover. I never had a heavily or thick battered CFS until I went off to college.

my take of German frying compared to other types of frying, is much less oil (not deep frying), lower temperature and covered to hold in the moisture, this tends to tenderize whatever is cooking.

~PMK~

#6238917 - 03/28/16 09:38 AM Re: Educate me guys on how to German Fry meat..... [Re: skinnerback]
StretchR Offline
Bird Dog

Loc: Hutto, TX (Williamson Co)
The mushroom-gravy stewed cutlet is called "Jaeger schnitzel." It is delicious! Traditionally, it wasn't breaded like wiener schnitzel. At our house, we flour it lightly, then brown in a little oil before cooking in gravy with sauteed onions. We just called it smothered steak. At many restaurants you will get wiener schnitzel with gravy over it as jaeger schnitzel. Of course, Jaeger schnitzel is delicious with Bratkartoffeln, German fried potatoes and onions.

Wiener schnitzel is reported to be the ancestor of Texas chicken-fried steak. The use of beef (instead of pork or venison) and a flour-only crust was an adaptation from the original German settler wiener schnitzel.

Edit:

PMK gave a better description of the technique and the potatoes while I was typing my original response. We ate the same things growing up cooked by my German-American grandmother.

Edited by StretchR (03/28/16 09:44 AM)
Edit Reason: Better post while I was typing

#6239282 - 03/28/16 02:48 PM Re: Educate me guys on how to German Fry meat..... [Re: skinnerback]
skinnerback Offline
THF Celebrity

Thanks for the responses guys.

#6239319 - 03/28/16 03:27 PM Re: Educate me guys on how to German Fry meat..... [Re: PMK]
Cast Offline
THF Celebrity

Loc: North Texas - God's Country
Originally Posted By: PMK
a classic example that I truly love were her potatoes. in a cast iron skillet, put in enough bacon drippings or vegetable oil to coat the bottom, slice or dice potatoes into skillet as it is starting to heat to a medium temperature and cover. leave it alone for 5 or so minutes while chopping up an onion. remove cover (don't get face too close or you will get a steam bath) and stir with a spatula, scrapping the browned crunchy stuff off the skillet, dump in the onions, salt & black pepper, replace the cover and let cook another 5 or so minutes.

This is old school pan Fried Taters, or Cottage Fries in my house. Had them all my life. Not German, maybe universal.

I love them.

I have a short attention spa

#6241370 - 03/30/16 08:26 AM Re: Educate me guys on how to German Fry meat..... [Re: Cast]
driedmeat Offline
Tracker

Loc: Hondo, TX
Originally Posted By: Cast

This is old school pan Fried Taters, or Cottage Fries in my house. Had them all my life. Not German, maybe universal.

I love them.

If you use red potatos, add bacon back in and a splash of vinegar at the end it's what our family calls German potato salad. Eaten while warm - excellent. food

#6241394 - 03/30/16 08:44 AM Re: Educate me guys on how to German Fry meat..... [Re: skinnerback]
Cast Offline
THF Celebrity

Oh yes! We do German Tater Salad. Love it.

#6241429 - 03/30/16 09:06 AM Re: Educate me guys on how to German Fry meat..... [Re: driedmeat]
redchevy Offline
THF Celebrity

Originally Posted By: driedmeat
Originally Posted By: Cast

I love them.

If you use red potatos, add bacon back in and a splash of vinegar at the end it's what our family calls German potato salad. Eaten while warm - excellent. food

Mmm notes taken will try this soon.

#6241767 - 03/30/16 01:22 PM Re: Educate me guys on how to German Fry meat..... [Re: skinnerback]
Cast Offline
THF Celebrity

Must use red taters and covered cast iron for full effect.

#6243857 - 04/01/16 06:52 AM Re: Educate me guys on how to German Fry meat..... [Re: skinnerback]
topwater13 Offline
Tracker

Loc: Wise County
Veal pounded out super thin...a little panko crust, cast iron skillet, salt and lemon....I can eat that forever. Same with pork but not as pretentious. food

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© 2004-2016 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide