476187 Topics
6246677 Posts

Max Online: 16728 @ 03/25/12 08:51 AM
Topic Options
#6235471 - 03/24/16 02:51 PM Disappointing find
therancher Offline
THF Trophy Hunter

Loc: Mountain Home, Uvalde, and Big...
This was one of my favorite yearling bucks in mountain home. Looks like his pedicle is damaged at the least. Hoping he doesn't get an infection. Looks like he hung it in a fence when it was close to being ready to shed. I saw him with his other side intact for 3 days. He's still alive and eating as he came to the house feeder yesterday.

I guess if he survives I'll keep him as a breeder.

"I cant wait to see if he plays this week, and if he does if he can actually break 50 percent completion ratio. Haha or maybe even throw for 200 yards. Possibly break a QB rating of 75." - Texas Tatonka
www.bigironranchadventures.com

#6235604 - 03/24/16 04:21 PM Re: Disappointing find [Re: therancher]
Western Online   content
THF Celebrity

Loc: Wise County Texas
Ouch! Odd that that bone spur doesn't look all that bloody though? Almost looks as dry as the ped...Not in a spot he can keep clean either.

Will be easy to spot though if you do keep him around and off limits, be interesting to see what happens this fall.

The first 5 day's after the weekend, are the hardest....

Dennis

#6235618 - 03/24/16 04:37 PM Re: Disappointing find [Re: therancher]
rickym Offline
Extreme Tracker

Loc: texas
Ouch! Will be interesting to see what he looks like this fall.

#6235646 - 03/24/16 05:06 PM Re: Disappointing find [Re: Western]
therancher Offline
THF Trophy Hunter

Originally Posted By: Western
Ouch! Odd that that bone spur doesn't look all that bloody though? Almost looks as dry as the ped...Not in a spot he can keep clean either.

Will be easy to spot though if you do keep him around and off limits, be interesting to see what happens this fall.

Yeah that's not bloody, but I had a lot of bloody spots around a feeding area that I believe was him.
"I cant wait to see if he plays this week, and if he does if he can actually break 50 percent completion ratio. Haha or maybe even throw for 200 yards. Possibly break a QB rating of 75." - Texas Tatonka

#6235652 - 03/24/16 05:12 PM Re: Disappointing find [Re: therancher]
tlk Offline
Pro Tracker

hope he survives

#6235871 - 03/24/16 08:27 PM Re: Disappointing find [Re: therancher]
stxranchman Offline
Obie Juan Kenobi

I have seen a few like that and most of, if not all of them had normal racks the next year or two year after at worst. I have seen a yearling buck pull a whole side out of his skull in August while still in velvet. He got hung up in the fence. He pulled himself free and left his whole left antler in the fence. I figured he would bleed to death. He lived and grew an almost normal looking rack at age two except that side was a bit smaller in mass.

#6235921 - 03/24/16 09:09 PM Re: Disappointing find [Re: stxranchman]
therancher Offline
THF Trophy Hunter

Originally Posted By: stxranchman
I have seen a few like that and most of, if not all of them had normal racks the next year or two year after at worst. I have seen a yearling buck pull a whole side out of his skull in August while still in velvet. He got hung up in the fence. He pulled himself free and left his whole left antler in the fence. I figured he would bleed to death. He lived and grew an almost normal looking rack at age two except that side was a bit smaller in mass.

Man, that's encouraging. He was my favorite youngster. Fence was the culprit here too. It will be easy to see what happens with him. He's a regular at the house.

#6235941 - 03/24/16 09:26 PM Re: Disappointing find [Re: therancher]
Western Online   content
THF Celebrity

Loc: Wise County Texas
Rusty, he can still be "your favorite youngster", still has the hardware..

The first 5 day's after the weekend, are the hardest....

Dennis

#6235954 - 03/24/16 09:30 PM Re: Disappointing find [Re: therancher]
don k Offline
THF Trophy Hunter

Loc: Bandera, Tx
It is amazing what animals can get through and survive. Even if his antlers are messed up he will be a heck of a breeder.

#6235983 - 03/24/16 09:56 PM Re: Disappointing find [Re: therancher]
Simple Searcher Offline
Extreme Tracker

Loc: Helotes, Hext
I know the feeling. We have had a few fence injuries.
I had a 5 year old get hung in the fence last year while in early velvet. It was horrible to watch him hung up, but he pulled loose as we drove up. His antlers got all jack up and he lived through some sort of infection. When we saw him several weeks later his head was swollen so bad that he could barely see. During hunting season when we saw him and he was as lively as any other deer and looked as healthy as ever, just goofy antlers. We hope he develops a good rack this year, either way it is his last year.
I hope him and yours do well.

"Man is still a hunter, still a simple searcher after meat..." Robert C. Ruark

#6235989 - 03/24/16 10:05 PM Re: Disappointing find [Re: therancher]
stxranchman Offline
Obie Juan Kenobi

Originally Posted By: therancher
Originally Posted By: stxranchman

Man, that's encouraging. He was my favorite youngster. Fence was the culprit here too. It will be easy to see what happens with him. He's a regular at the house.

By me saying " He pulled himself free and left his whole left antler in the fence"...he left part of his pedicle and a small piece of his skull with that left antler also.

#6240186 - 03/29/16 09:32 AM Re: Disappointing find [Re: therancher]
tbgascorer Offline
Woodsman

You better hope that deer doesn't get a deadly brain abcess from much of his growth platform breaking off. I have seen some like this return to normal. More often than not, a large spike will grow on that side. Don't cofuse this with genetics...this deer appears to be above average there. Good luck and I hope you are able to keep track of him and he recovers healthy.

#6243247 - 03/31/16 03:54 PM Re: Disappointing find [Re: therancher]
BuckRage Offline
THF Celebrity

might turn into something cool if your lucky.

#6246900 - 04/03/16 10:23 PM Re: Disappointing find [Re: therancher]
wtarush Offline
Light Foot

Wow! A lot of bone came with that. Be interested to see what it does to his antler growth if he makes it through...

© 2004-2016 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide