Page 1 of 2 1 2
Tired of the griping #6235226 03/24/16 04:02 PM
A
aeb Offline OP
THF Celebrity
OP Offline
THF Celebrity
A
Anyone ever come close to losing a lease because the land owner got tired of the BS. I've basically had the same bunch of guys for years but I'm getting tired of the drama. Thinking seriously about locking the hunting gate permanently.

Probably should think about shutting down everything. Not sure how much longer I can operate the ranch with my health problems. Like most ranchers I've got $39.28 in the bank and several million in real estate. Cash out and take a little vacation? In fact, it was only last week that my wife suggested that I go to Brussels for a few days to relax. She would take care of the ranch! eeks333

Anyone been there? If so, what was the outcome? How did you work it out?

Re: Tired of the griping [Re: aeb] #6235232 03/24/16 04:08 PM
N
Nogalus Prairie Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
N
I would never lease my place for any price. This is one of the primary reasons.

P.S. I pray you have done some detailed and good estate planning.

Last edited by Nogalus Prairie; 03/24/16 04:10 PM.

Originally Posted by Russ79
I learned long ago you can't reason someone out of something they don't reason themselves into.

Re: Tired of the griping [Re: aeb] #6235238 03/24/16 04:12 PM
W
Western Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
W
Not on the end you're on Aeb, but as a lessee (is that a word>), who got to know the rancher well. ( I leased my land 1 year, didn't last a season)

Rancher I knew had about 40k acres, he ended up running 12 off, yet offered my buddy and I to stay on. We let it go because we couldn't find enough good fellas. He ended up raising the price, said if he had to tolerate AH, he would get paid for his aggravation. Don't know why he offered to us, could be because we often helped him or his hands IDK

Pretty tough decision letting land go, at least it would be for me if it was of good size.

Good luck sir

If at first you dont succeed, then skydiving is not for you..

"Don't trust everything you read on the Internet"- Abraham Lincoln

Dennis

Re: Tired of the griping [Re: aeb] #6235239 03/24/16 04:12 PM
D
Dry Fire Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
D
Appoint a "Lease Boss". Let them handle all the soap opera drama. Let it be known that you will only talk about leasing issues through the appointed lease boss, and he better have a darn good reason to talk to you.

coffee spelled backwards is eeffoc. I don't give eeffoc until I have my morning coffee.
Re: Tired of the griping [Re: aeb] #6235244 03/24/16 04:15 PM
C
cabosandinh Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
C
that's because you don't have rules and agreements

I kicked several guys off of mine - grown a s s men with childlike mentality and full of drama

there is a direct correlation between drama queens and money

they're tight with money and will always look for ways to save a buck
or turn the total benefits toward them

Re: Tired of the griping [Re: aeb] #6235276 03/24/16 04:39 PM
W
Wilhunt Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
W
Speaking for myself I would have fewer hunters and definitely one would be in charge of the group. One individual to handle all including collecting all lease fee's. All hunters are not bad.

Re: Tired of the griping [Re: aeb] #6235320 03/24/16 05:22 PM
S
stxranchman Offline
Obie Juan Kenobi
Obie Juan Kenobi
S
I would not put up with it. Get them all together and lay it out plain and simple in YOUR terms. If anyone says a word other than agreeing...show them the gate. There are plenty of good lease hunters out there to have to put up with BS from the group you have now.

Are idiots multiplying faster than normal people?[Linked Image]
Re: Tired of the griping [Re: aeb] #6235326 03/24/16 05:28 PM
Q
QuitShootinYoungBucks Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Q
Familiarity breeds contempt, I've seen it happen way too many times. No matter how good both sides have it, time wounds all heels. You might be better off with a new group.

[Linked Image]

https://web.archive.org/web/20170223065011/http:/www.rrdvegas.com/silencer-cleaning.html
Re: Tired of the griping [Re: aeb] #6235343 03/24/16 05:43 PM
H
huntwest Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
H
I have a couple of good sunflower fields I lease to a guy who runs hunts. I make as much as I would if I leased for deer and he is only on my land for two months, has to leave it as clean as he finds it and has to carry the insurance.
The other 10 months it is mine with no worries. Except of course the poachers.

Re: Tired of the griping [Re: aeb] #6235344 03/24/16 05:45 PM
B
Bmnloader Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
B
I've hunted in that area for a long time. The reason I bought the little piece of land i now have is due to all the whining that went on. on one lease I was the lease boss. I had to kick a very good friend of mine off due to his constant complaining and almost fist fighting with one other guy. I never saw the other guy do anything to warrant any of it. The last lease, I wouldn't take the job. Had 14 guys on it. It was worse than having a machine shop (but not by much), nothing but "he drove right past my feeder" (feeder just off main road), to he's parking too close to my camper. I'll never be involved in anther lease.

It's true hard work never killed anybody, but I figure, why take the chance.
Ronald Reagan
Re: Tired of the griping [Re: Bmnloader] #6235349 03/24/16 05:51 PM
C
cabosandinh Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
C
Originally Posted By: Bmnloader
I had to kick a very good friend of mine off due to his constant complaining and almost fist fighting with one other guy. I never saw the other guy do anything to warrant any of it. The last lease, I wouldn't take the job. Had 14 guys on it. It was worse than having a machine shop (but not by much), nothing but "he drove right past my feeder" (feeder just off main road), to he's parking too close to my camper. I'll never be involved in anther lease.

sounds like the drama queens I had

Re: Tired of the griping [Re: aeb] #6235356 03/24/16 06:00 PM
B
Bmnloader Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
B
Ridiculous is what it was. I can be a licensed day care worker anywhere. 50 yr old men waiting on me to get back to camp so I could take care of it. Daddy told me "if you have a problem with a man, you talk to him about, don't go crying to his momma"

Ronald Reagan
Re: Tired of the griping [Re: aeb] #6235358 03/24/16 06:01 PM
B
Bmnloader Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
B
Anyway AEB, I do feel your pain!

Ronald Reagan
Re: Tired of the griping [Re: aeb] #6235369 03/24/16 06:16 PM
P
PMK Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
P
I guess I have been lucky with my 50+ years of hunting. Everyone was a grown man and owned up to doing their fare share without much gripping. I can only recall a couple of times that people were kicked off of our leases and we always had very good and close relationships with the land owners as they knew we would take good care of his property, watch over his livestock, handle mending fences, pulling calves, maintaining roads and gaps ... treating it like it was our own really. My current lease if the first where there was a dedicated lease boss and that seems to work fine and everyone follows his lead. If you are tired of handling whiny and unruly hunters, force them to have a lease boss that handles all that cr@p. Likewise, they are responsible for the actions of the group, they will force the rest to walk the line one way or another.

and ... I find it be a true privilege to be one someone else's land enjoying one of my passions, so I am darn well going to treat it and the LO with respect and do what I need to do to keep them happy with a good working relationship & friendship.

"everyone that lives dies but not everyone who dies lived..."

~PMK~
Re: Tired of the griping [Re: aeb] #6235387 03/24/16 06:35 PM
S
SouthWestIron Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
S
Sometimes customers have to be fired! I'm sure there are some awesome individuals that would love to hunt your land and not only put some change in your pocket but actually help around your place.

Re: Tired of the griping [Re: Wilhunt] #6235391 03/24/16 06:36 PM
D
DirtNapTET Offline
Tracker
Tracker
D
Originally Posted By: wilhunt
Speaking for myself I would have fewer hunters and definitely one would be in charge of the group. One individual to handle all including collecting all lease fee's. All hunters are not bad.

This.

I dont own any property, but I am the "Lease Boss" on our place. In my eyes, if the property owner isnt happy, I'm not happy. To be able to have access to so much property and do what I love to do, when I want, is a privilege, not a Right just because I pay for it.

When ever there is an opening on the lease, I approach the interested parties as if it is a job interview. By no means do I have the amount of experience as most of the folks on here, but I am confident in my ability to weed out the "troublesome" ones.

aeb, I think you just have the wrong group, with the wrong mindset. Do some interviews, get a good "Lease Boss," and let them deal with griping.

Re: Tired of the griping [Re: aeb] #6235432 03/24/16 07:23 PM
K
KG68 Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
K
We leased a few pastures for 6 years. Had a good crew and a great lease boss. We had one neighbor back then that was a real pain in the butt. Seems our hunters were always doing something to give him a gripe. Just wasn't worth the hassle to us. That was 25 years ago.

Re: Tired of the griping [Re: aeb] #6235594 03/24/16 09:12 PM
P
Pope&Young Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
P
aeb... I sent you a PM

[Linked Image]
Re: Tired of the griping [Re: aeb] #6235662 03/24/16 10:25 PM
A
aeb Offline OP
THF Celebrity
OP Offline
THF Celebrity
A
Thanks for all the comments. Have had a contract and lease boss on the ranch for several years and, as age has slowed me down, I've devoted more time and money to the game aspect but the fun is disappearing. I've received a couple of PM's about the property but I am not interested in leasing to a new group.

A word of advise to the lease bosses. Don't put yourself in an adversarial relationship with an elderly owner, unless you are prepared to explain to the other ten guys why they need to look for another lease. grin

Re: Tired of the griping [Re: aeb] #6235713 03/24/16 11:16 PM
W
Western Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
W
In that case Aeb, sell everything, but what would keep you content, load up the wife and go do some fun stuff.

If at first you dont succeed, then skydiving is not for you..

"Don't trust everything you read on the Internet"- Abraham Lincoln

Dennis

Re: Tired of the griping [Re: stxranchman] #6235734 03/24/16 11:36 PM
tlk Online Happy
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Happy
THF Trophy Hunter
Originally Posted By: stxranchman
I would not put up with it. Get them all together and lay it out plain and simple in YOUR terms. If anyone says a word other than agreeing...show them the gate. There are plenty of good lease hunters out there to have to put up with BS from the group you have now.

THIS - I am lease boss on one hell of a lease - told our rancher from day one that I would treat it as though it was mine. Been there 8 years and just signed a new long term lease. I had to remind him our current lease was up and he said "Really? Guess we need to do a new one." Rancher has figured out I only do things the right way and if we screw up I tell him first thing. He also knows that if one of our hunters intentionally breaks the rules I boot them - pure and simple.
Many good folks out there looking to lease a good place and if you find the right lease boss with guidelines and rules in place they will take the load off of you.

Last edited by tlk; 03/24/16 11:38 PM.

You can't fix stupid
Re: Tired of the griping [Re: PMK] #6235748 03/24/16 11:43 PM
W
Wilhunt Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
W
Originally Posted By: PMK
I guess I have been lucky with my 50+ years of hunting. Everyone was a grown man and owned up to doing their fare share without much gripping. I can only recall a couple of times that people were kicked off of our leases and we always had very good and close relationships with the land owners as they knew we would take good care of his property, watch over his livestock, handle mending fences, pulling calves, maintaining roads and gaps ... treating it like it was our own really. My current lease if the first where there was a dedicated lease boss and that seems to work fine and everyone follows his lead. If you are tired of handling whiny and unruly hunters, force them to have a lease boss that handles all that cr@p. Likewise, they are responsible for the actions of the group, they will force the rest to walk the line one way or another.

and ... I find it be a true privilege to be one someone else's land enjoying one of my passions, so I am darn well going to treat it and the LO with respect and do what I need to do to keep them happy with a good working relationship & friendship.

Well said sir.

Re: Tired of the griping [Re: aeb] #6235775 03/25/16 12:01 AM
S
Shotgun Willie Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
S
I'm the lease foreman on my lease. I've been with the same landowner 16 years now, and he's never gone up in price. I just gave him his "walking around money" last weekend. We've had our ups and downs with lease members, but none of it ever made it to him.

Seems like you just need to find a good foreman, and let them deal with the drama. My landowner doesn't even know the names of the other guys on the lease, let alone be forced to take their calls. If something comes up it comes to me, I make a decision, and that's it. Don't like it, well there's the gate. You find you a guy like that, and it's a much more pleasant process.

The landowner next door cleaned house last year. Booted everyone except for one guy, and let him be responsible for finding replacements. Same type of deal, bunch of grown men acting like teenaged girls, got them all kicked off. Sometimes scorched earth is the only way to promote growth.

Re: Tired of the griping [Re: aeb] #6235980 03/25/16 02:54 AM
R
Reata Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
R
This thread reminds me that I haven't actually seen my landowner in about 6 years. He's not exactly what you would call chatty. I check in with him a few times a year by phone but that's about it.

I'm very thankful to be allowed access and treat it accordingly.

Re: Tired of the griping [Re: Dry Fire] #6236010 03/25/16 03:23 AM
D
dkershen Offline
Rev Dave
Rev Dave
D
Originally Posted By: Dry Fire
Appoint a "Lease Boss". Let them handle all the soap opera drama. Let it be known that you will only talk about leasing issues through the appointed lease boss, and he better have a darn good reason to talk to you.

This is how I handled it the past. Worked pretty well. Except for me... I was the lease boss and had to deal with the drama.

To be sure of hitting the target, shoot first and call whatever you hit the target.

www.NewHopeEquine.com - Health and Healing through Horses.
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide