Print Thread
First cat #6229864 03/20/16 03:22 AM
U
uteppunter Offline OP
Green Horn
OP Offline
Green Horn
U
I have been hunting for over 30 years and I consider myself above average. I have hunted everything from big white tail (160) in South Texas to brown bear in Alaska (no kill). This being said I have hunted with as well as hired many hunters that I consider "great" and guides that I consider poor to fair to good to great. Even after 30 years of said hunting, I have still never been able to get a shot at a bobcat. I have tried calling them myself and paid guides through the nose only to hunt from sundown to sunup and never see a pair of eyes much less get a kill.

This all changed earlier this week as I was fortunate enough to be given the name of someone who many people consider one of the best predator hunters in the country, Justin Saulters. Simply put, Justin Saulters is the man!

I emailed Justin and within the hour he called me back to find out exactly what I was looking for and what if any limitations I might have. And then he shocked me when he said, "I guaranty you, you will see and get a shot at some animals or your hunt is free." I couldn't believe it. No risk predator hunt? Let's do it! We discussed when and where we would meet and then began the anxiousness of the possibility of me finally getting a cat.

I felt like a 10 year old going hunting with his dad for the first time and I'm not ashamed to admit that I called Justin at least 5 times before the day of the hunt, peppering him with questions and making sure everything was still a go. Through all of this, Justin was a professional and a gentleman even talking to me for 30+ minutes during my drive to meet him at the Walmart in Wylie Tx. at 5pm. I thought, "We must be going a couple of hours away why else would we meet during the day")? Wrong, Justin intended on hunting in Collin county and only 10 minutes from the store! Now I was starting to get skeptical. Really? bobcats and coyotes in broad daylight? Come on.

We arrived at the first stand in 10 minutes parked and walked a couple hundred yards to set up. Justin provided a chair a rifle shooting tri-pod and let me use his 204 assuring me that it was dead on. Within 15 minutes of his Fox-pro kicking in, we had a coyote. He came in winded me and took off. It was 5:30 and Justin had already called in a yote, In broad daylight! We walked about 200 yards and set up again. After 20 minutes of no action, we left and drove to the next stand.

We arrived at the next stand which was a plowed up corn field bordered on 2 sides by trees. In 15 minutes Justin called in the biggest most beautiful Coyote I have ever seen. Unfortunately I was looking the other way when he came in. Justin made a small chirp to alert me, I turned and saw the yote. As I moved the gun on it's mount and turned his way, he saw me and took off running. I did not want to attempt a shot at a runner hoping he would come back. Justin told me he would not come back and I was disappointed. That coyote was impressive. I really wanted him. Strike two. We sat until the sun went down and then left. That's right, he called in 2 yotes in broad daylight! After a short drive of about 20-25 minutes we arrived at the next stand.

Justin surprised me again. This time we walked out into the middle of a plowed up cotton field and sat down facing a grove of trees. To our backs were the bright lights of a softball field. I mean it was bright out there. He told me to look at the lights, I did, and then he asked me could I see anything? I said no and he said neither can the bobcats. I told Justin right there, If you call in a bobcat right here, I will buy you a steak dinner! He just smiled at me and said, "let's see what we can do." Justin sat down and went to work. In about 10 minutes, Justin whispered, "there's a cat". My heart started pounding. I turned to my right and there even at 100 yards I could see a beautiful predator stalking what he thought was his prey. I found him in the scope as Justin said wait, wait, take him. That cat had no idea that he had walked into the sights of a stone cold killer!. I squeezed gently the gun roared and I clearly heard the thump. Justin exclaimed you got him! He then sprinted to the cat and told me to follow him. I was elated. As soon as I got there I hugged him and told him that he was the man!!! After a few pictures (which I texted to family and friends) he said, "Lt's go to the next spot. I though "What? Are you kidding me>? I had already missed a chance on two coyotes and now killed my first bobcat. I thought we would be done. Nope, we still going.

Unfortunately for me, I had not checked the weather forecast and it was getting cold and I did not bring a jacket. We drove about 20 minutes to the next stand and now I was freezing. After a 25 minute stand and no coyote, we left for the next. I turned to Justin and said "man you're might think I'm a pansy but I'm freezing. Let's just sit at one more." He said "are you sure, we can do what ever you want to do, we can hunt all night."

We drove about 20 more minutes and set up on a field with knee high grass mixed in with Cedars and clearings with no grass. We sat down and he started the call. In 5 minutes, we had another coyote. He came in running and wouldn't stop. I had him in the scope but he was always running and staying behind the tall grass. No shot. I was pissed, I actually felt as though I had let Justin down. I apologized and he told me not to worry about it. We called for 10 more minutes and another bobcat came in. This cat was smart. He stayed in the grass and after a couple of seconds, he cruised.

I told Justin, I was ready to go and he said alright. As we were walling back to the truck Justin told me that he would have to come back and kill all of the coyotes I had missed as he didn't want them to get "educated"I asked Justin if I could have the pelt off of that big beautiful coyote we saw if he kills haim and without hesitation he said "of course." What a great guy.

Just To reiterate, Justin called in 2 bobcats and 3 coyotes in only 6 stands! As I stated before, I have hunted with some great hunters and great guides in my lifetime but none better than Justin Saulters. Justin is the man. I can not recommend him more highly. He will provide you with a gun that could knock a gnat off a flys' butt at 100 yards or if you want or you can use yours. He has all of the best top of the line equipment and most importantly, he has access to 1000's of acres of land all over Texas. And he will guaranty that you will see animals. By the way, Justin told me that he has never been skunked and I believe him.

If you want the opportunity to kill a bobcat or a coyote, call Justin Saulters at Predator Patrol Guide Service. His number is 972-215-8760. You won't be sorry you did.

Simply put, Justin Saulters is the MAN!!!

Lance Brownlee
Re: First cat [Re: uteppunter] #6229872 03/20/16 03:27 AM
D
dkershen Offline
Rev Dave
Rev Dave
D
Good write up. Congrats on the cat!

To be sure of hitting the target, shoot first and call whatever you hit the target.

www.NewHopeEquine.com - Health and Healing through Horses.
Re: First cat [Re: dkershen] #6229882 03/20/16 03:35 AM
L
LuckyHunter Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
L
Originally Posted By: dkershen
Good write up. Congrats on the cat!

X2

Lucky 7 Exotic Ranch located in Eden, Tx. Well managed self sustaining herds roaming our 3,000 acre ranch. First Class Lodging, Ranch style meals and qualified guides. 30+ species.
Re: First cat [Re: uteppunter] #6229884 03/20/16 03:38 AM
C
CHASE CURTIS Offline
Tracker
Tracker
C
Congrats!

CURTIS CUSTOM FFL 07/SOT II
Re: First cat [Re: uteppunter] #6229897 03/20/16 03:53 AM
BrianCook_RanchSales Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
Hunters that write up the stories like you, make the guiding all that much more fun! Great write up, Great cat!

Brian Cook
Farm & Ranch Real Estate Agent
Foster Farm & Ranch
Brian@FosterRanches.com
(210)860-9693
Gig 'Em
Re: First cat [Re: uteppunter] #6229921 03/20/16 04:21 AM
T
TEXASLEFTY Online Content
THF Whiskey Sommelier
Online Content
THF Whiskey Sommelier
T
Yep, thanks and congrats!!

Originally Posted by Chunky Monkey
Never been to a camping world. I prefer Dick's to be honest.
Re: First cat [Re: uteppunter] #6230000 03/20/16 12:37 PM
P
Pitchfork Predator Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
P
Good story. Congrats on your first Bobcat. up

Marc C. Helfrich
Retirement Planner

www.insured-wealth.com
469-323-8920
Re: First cat [Re: uteppunter] #6230042 03/20/16 01:41 PM
Q
QuitShootinYoungBucks Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Q
That sounded like a lot of fun! Congrats on the cat and thanks for the write up.

[Linked Image]

https://web.archive.org/web/20170223065011/http:/www.rrdvegas.com/silencer-cleaning.html
Re: First cat [Re: uteppunter] #6230055 03/20/16 01:54 PM
S
stxranchman Offline
Obie Juan Kenobi
Obie Juan Kenobi
S
cheers

Are idiots multiplying faster than normal people?[Linked Image]
Re: First cat [Re: uteppunter] #6230064 03/20/16 02:07 PM
T
tex70 Online Content
Veteran Tracker
Online Content
Veteran Tracker
T
welcome Congrats on the cat.I suspect Justin may get a little more business after that write up

Re: First cat [Re: uteppunter] #6231203 03/21/16 02:56 PM
C
cp50948 Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
C
Sounds like he has some good land. With little hunting pressure. Great job on the cat they are fun to get. Just wait until you call one with a mouth call. Makes it even more rewarding knowing the sound you created got them to hunt you.

Re: First cat [Re: uteppunter] #6231235 03/21/16 03:16 PM
B
BOLT GUY Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
B
Congrats on the Bob! Justin will put you on the predators for sure.

Re: First cat [Re: uteppunter] #6232135 03/22/16 02:55 AM
nak Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
Thanks for posting. I love the detailed stories!

We all need to practice Whoa more.
Re: First cat [Re: tex70] #6237657 03/27/16 01:49 AM
R
retfuz Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
R
Originally Posted By: tex70
welcome Congrats on the cat.I suspect Justin may get a little more business after that write up

Uh Uh!

Re: First cat [Re: uteppunter] #6245108 04/02/16 03:20 AM
P
predator patrol Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
P
Thanks for the write up! Btw, I usually use mouth calls, but late in the season I have to change it up so I bring out the e-caller.

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide