Page 1 of 2 1 2
How many of you are stocking up supplies? #6227971 03/18/16 02:32 PM
T
Txhillbilly Offline OP
Tracker
OP Offline
Tracker
T
I learned several decades ago to get stocked up with reloading supplies with our governments ways during election cycles. It seems to always drive up prices,and get harder to find powder,primers,and bullets in stock.
I recently bought another 48 lbs of powder, and 12k primers to add to my reloading supplies.
With the way this years election is playing out, it's better to be prepared.

Re: How many of you are stocking up supplies? [Re: Txhillbilly] #6227984 03/18/16 02:41 PM
C
ChadTRG42 Online Happy
THF Celebrity
Online Happy
THF Celebrity
C
I try to keep enough inventory to have a cushion of supplies to rely on during the high demand times. It's a balance for me to either spend money on inventory you won't reap the benefits of until much later, or save the funds to have working capital. The worst is buying during the high demand times when prices go up and you ship 1 or 2 items in and pay extra for shipping and/or hazmat, and my prices have to go up. I try to avoid that. But, if Hillary does win the election, you WILL see another run on AR-15's, magazine's, ammo, powder and primers, for sure. That's just part of it. Happens every time a Dem wins.

[Linked Image]
Custom and Precision Ammunition!!
https://DallasReloads.com/
Type 01 and Type 06 FFL
Re: How many of you are stocking up supplies? [Re: ChadTRG42] #6228045 03/18/16 03:14 PM
Bbear Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
Originally Posted By: ChadTRG42
I try to keep enough inventory to have a cushion of supplies to rely on during the high demand times. It's a balance for me to either spend money on inventory you won't reap the benefits of until much later, or save the funds to have working capital. The worst is buying during the high demand times when prices go up and you ship 1 or 2 items in and pay extra for shipping and/or hazmat, and my prices have to go up. I try to avoid that. But, if Hillary does win the election, you WILL see another run on AR-15's, magazine's, ammo, powder and primers, for sure. That's just part of it. Happens every time a Dem wins.

^^^^^
This

I have a good supply of the bullets, primers, powder and cases I need for what I have. Minimum 8 lbs of powder etc. I re-started on reloading right before the panic. Not going through that again.

[IMG][/IMG]

Pay it forward - Kids are the future.

Rifles are similar to boats and young women...there's no end to how much money you can pour into them without making them any more useful.
Re: How many of you are stocking up supplies? [Re: Txhillbilly] #6228102 03/18/16 03:47 PM
T
tth_40 Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
Been doing it for years. Like others said, it's a balance.

It's nice to be able to sit back and relax knowing your inventory is adequate while others panic when they don't prepare.

Originally Posted By: theserxtremedays
Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large numbers
Re: How many of you are stocking up supplies? [Re: Txhillbilly] #6228141 03/18/16 04:15 PM
R
RiverRider Online Confused
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Confused
THF Trophy Hunter
R
I started years ago, but a gun swap here and there, then new and better powders coming out lately kinda takes the joy out of looking at the inventory.

[Linked Image]

"Arguing with you always makes me thirsty."

-Augustus McRae
Re: How many of you are stocking up supplies? [Re: Txhillbilly] #6228229 03/18/16 05:36 PM
kmon11 Online Shocked
junior
Online Shocked
junior
Have almost burned the primers I bought after the Clinton/Brady created shortage in the 90s. After that time have had enough reloading stuff to keep me shooting when the other crunches hit. Intend to keep it that way.

lf the saying "Liar, Liar your pants on fire" were true
Mainstream news might be fun to watch
Re: How many of you are stocking up supplies? [Re: Txhillbilly] #6228300 03/18/16 06:40 PM
J.G. Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
I shoot a bunch.

I never stop buying components. That is, until there is a run on them, then I stop.

[Linked Image]
800 Yard Steel Range
Precision Rifle Instruction
Memberships and Classes Available
Re: How many of you are stocking up supplies? [Re: Txhillbilly] #6228306 03/18/16 06:45 PM
BassCat'99 Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
I took stock the other day of what I have on hand, 70+lbs powder, 6k 223 fmj, 500 308 and about the same in 9mm and 45acp but I'm woefully lite on primers.

22 Creedmoor
Re: How many of you are stocking up supplies? [Re: Txhillbilly] #6228411 03/18/16 08:12 PM
J
jeffbird Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
J
If you live in a city or town, check your local fire code on the amount of powder that may be stored. Many limit it to 50 pounds max on one premise.

FJG, can you help with relevant fire code requirements and limitations, if any, that we should know? Last time I researched it, there were none on a statewide level, none at the county level, which left it to local ordinances. Is that correct?

Re: How many of you are stocking up supplies? [Re: J.G.] #6228419 03/18/16 08:21 PM
T
Txhillbilly Offline OP
Tracker
OP Offline
Tracker
T
Originally Posted By: FiremanJG
I shoot a bunch.

I never stop buying components. That is, until there is a run on them, then I stop.

I know what you mean, I shoot a bunch also, and always get nervous when I get down to the last 8 pound jug of any powder I shoot.
I also know a lot of guy's that procrastinate, and then start crying when something happens and they don't have the supplies that they need.

Re: How many of you are stocking up supplies? [Re: Txhillbilly] #6228487 03/18/16 09:05 PM
J
Judd Online Confused
#1 Creedmoor Fan
Online Confused
#1 Creedmoor Fan
J
Not good for you all to be posting what you have. As I read it the ATF is very clear on this:

Up to 20 lbs of powder can be openly stored in original containers.
Up to 50 lbs of powder can be stored in an appropriate powder magazine.
You cannot legally store more than 50 lbs of powder in a residence.

I don't like to keep a whole lot on hand but I do try to keep enough on hand to get through 2 shooting seasons without needing to purchase more. That way I could shoot 2 years if all supplies dried up.

Federal primers are what is killing me at this point...they've been non-existent for a very long time.

Originally Posted by Phil Robertson
Don't let your ears hear what your eyes didn't see, and don't let your mouth say what your heart doesn't feel
Re: How many of you are stocking up supplies? [Re: Txhillbilly] #6228578 03/18/16 10:09 PM
J
jeffbird Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
J
Judd,
could you link to that reg please?

Here is a search engine for primers and other components.

It shows F210M's in stock at Powder Valley. Best hurry. Hope it helps.

http://gunbot.net/reloading/

Re: How many of you are stocking up supplies? [Re: Txhillbilly] #6228589 03/18/16 10:15 PM
B
Big Fitz Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
B
If Bernie wins, I think it only right that you guys with such supplies share and give me half. Please PM me your addresses and I'll come by to pick up my supplies. banana clap

Originally Posted by onlysmith&wesson
I was wrong...on anything technical.

Originally Posted by Sailor
Fitz............. is right, ya know............
Re: How many of you are stocking up supplies? [Re: Txhillbilly] #6228619 03/18/16 10:50 PM
S
Stratgolfer Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
S
Fitz for the win.....

"I was called by the Yorkers a outlaw, and later by the english a rebel" Ethan Allen
Re: How many of you are stocking up supplies? [Re: Txhillbilly] #6228702 03/19/16 12:04 AM
T
tenyearsgone Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
T
Originally Posted By: Txhillbilly
I learned several decades ago to get stocked up with reloading supplies with our governments ways during election cycles. It seems to always drive up prices,and get harder to find powder,primers,and bullets in stock.
I recently bought another 48 lbs of powder, and 12k primers to add to my reloading supplies.

Posts like this are what fuels the fire.

Re: How many of you are stocking up supplies? [Re: Judd] #6228706 03/19/16 12:07 AM
T
tenyearsgone Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
T
Originally Posted By: Judd
Not good for you all to be posting what you have. As I read it the ATF is very clear on this:

Up to 20 lbs of powder can be openly stored in original containers.
Up to 50 lbs of powder can be stored in an appropriate powder magazine.
You cannot legally store more than 50 lbs of powder in a residence.

I don't like to keep a whole lot on hand but I do try to keep enough on hand to get through 2 shooting seasons without needing to purchase more. That way I could shoot 2 years if all supplies dried up.

Federal primers are what is killing me at this point...they've been non-existent for a very long time.

https://www.atf.gov/explosives/qa/smokel...losives-storage

Smokeless powder is exempt from explosive regs. It's not considered to be an explosive like black powder.

Those container regs are suggestions by one of the alphabet agencies.

ETA: Found it here. It's just suggested guidelines from a fire prevention association. The only laws you'll break are any by your local authority.

http://www.saami.org/specifications_and_...less_Powder.pdf

Like I usually say when someone states falsehoods; we have enough enemies as it is so don't be our own worst one.

Re: How many of you are stocking up supplies? [Re: Txhillbilly] #6228724 03/19/16 12:23 AM
S
Simple Searcher Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
S
I currently own more ammo than I have ever shot in my life. I am good.

[Linked Image]

"Man is still a hunter, still a simple searcher after meat..." Robert C. Ruark
Re: How many of you are stocking up supplies? [Re: tenyearsgone] #6228749 03/19/16 12:41 AM
T
Txhillbilly Offline OP
Tracker
OP Offline
Tracker
T
Originally Posted By: tenyearsgone

And just what fire might that be?
Believe me,The Fed's know everything there is to know about me,and have for many years. I'm not one that wears a tin foil hat,I've hauled/delivered so much stuff to and from Department of Defense installations over the years they probably know what color of underwear I have on right now.

Too bad we can't still buy kegs of powder,or I'd probably have a 20ft container full of it setting on my property. 8 lb jugs don't last very long!

Re: How many of you are stocking up supplies? [Re: Txhillbilly] #6228765 03/19/16 01:02 AM
T
tenyearsgone Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
T

And just what fire might that be?
Believe me,The Fed's know everything there is to know about me,and have for many years. I'm not one that wears a tin foil hat,I've hauled/delivered so much stuff to and from Department of Defense installations over the years they probably know what color of underwear I have on right now.

Too bad we can't still buy kegs of powder,or I'd probably have a 20ft container full of it setting on my property. 8 lb jugs don't last very long!

I'm referring to those who read various online posts and freak out at mere speculation, snow balling into a panic that doesn't necessarily need to happen.

Re: How many of you are stocking up supplies? [Re: tenyearsgone] #6228798 03/19/16 01:24 AM
J.G. Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
It's never been brought up in my department.

Smokeless powder is a flammable solid, and if you ever buy a box containing two 8 pounders or 10 one pounders you will see the DOT classification labeling it as such. It is safer to store than gasoline or a twenty pound propane cylinder, and the little camp stove/ lantern one pound cylinders. Those have caused more drama than any gun powder ever has at any structure fire I've been in.

Primers are DOT classified as an explosive.

Loaded ammunition has popped inside structure fires, and veterans don't really worry about it. Without a barrel for it to build pressure, it's an expensive fire cracker.

I store my Haz-Mat inside a four foot tall steel filing cabinet. It is not fool proof, but if it were to light off, it's inside a steel box. I do need another filing cabinet, though.

[Linked Image]
800 Yard Steel Range
Precision Rifle Instruction
Memberships and Classes Available
Re: How many of you are stocking up supplies? [Re: J.G.] #6228869 03/19/16 02:23 AM
T
tenyearsgone Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
T
It's never been brought up in my department.

Smokeless powder is a flammable solid, and if you ever buy a box containing two 8 pounders or 10 one pounders you will see the DOT classification labeling it as such. It is safer to store than gasoline or a twenty pound propane cylinder, and the little camp stove/ lantern one pound cylinders. Those have caused more drama than any gun powder ever has at any structure fire I've been in.

Primers are DOT classified as an explosive.

Loaded ammunition has popped inside structure fires, and veterans don't really worry about it. Without a barrel for it to build pressure, it's an expensive fire cracker.

I store my Haz-Mat inside a four foot tall steel filing cabinet. It is not fool proof, but if it were to light off, it's inside a steel box. I do need another filing cabinet, though.

There's a video SAAMI did a few years ago where they tested all the different ways ammo and powder could ignite. Ammo that went off barely dented cardboard they had set up.

Re: How many of you are stocking up supplies? [Re: Txhillbilly] #6229006 03/19/16 04:58 AM
T
texashunter900 Offline
Tracker
Tracker
T
I have been stocking up for the last couple of months. It is a slow process on a budget but I am much better off when the shortage strikes again.

Last edited by texashunter900; 03/19/16 04:59 AM.
Re: How many of you are stocking up supplies? [Re: Big Fitz] #6229035 03/19/16 10:59 AM
GasGuzzler Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
Originally Posted By: Big Fitz
If Bernie wins, I think it only right that you guys with such supplies share and give me half. Please PM me your addresses and I'll come by to pick up my supplies.

hammer

clap

Pass the gravy.

Re: How many of you are stocking up supplies? [Re: tenyearsgone] #6229082 03/19/16 01:07 PM
B
bobsumner Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
B

Posts like this display the reality and planning.

Re: How many of you are stocking up supplies? [Re: Txhillbilly] #6229464 03/19/16 09:30 PM
B
Buzzsaw Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
B
still got more pistol ammo than I can shoot from when YOBama got elected first time.

always filling in here or there.

got enough .223 components to last forever

hunting calibers more than enough

I wont get caught short again

SPACE FOR RENT

Page 1 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide