Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
Hog Attacks #6226157 03/17/16 02:13 AM
T
Tactical Cowboy Offline OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
T
I always read about hogs attacking people and goring their guts out.. But never seen anyone that has been attacked. Have any of you guys ever been attacked or charged by a hog?

The secret to a long life is to try not to shorten it.
Re: Hog Attacks [Re: Tactical Cowboy] #6226162 03/17/16 02:17 AM
C
cabosandinh Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
C
never

I attack them

Re: Hog Attacks [Re: cabosandinh] #6226167 03/17/16 02:20 AM
T
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
T
Originally Posted By: cabosandinh
never

I attack them

Same...

Re: Hog Attacks [Re: Tactical Cowboy] #6226181 03/17/16 02:28 AM
C
celtic okie Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
C
No one that I know of.
Yes, it is possible but not very likely.
The hogs I see run as soon as they know you are around.

Re: Hog Attacks [Re: Tactical Cowboy] #6226191 03/17/16 02:33 AM
Double Naught Spy Online Happy
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Happy
THF Trophy Hunter
Most hog "attacks" are when wounded, chased, trapped, or cornered hogs are approached by people, usually the same ones trying to harm the hog.

I have been charged after shooting a hog.

Hogdalorian - Si vis pacem cum sus, para bellum.
My Videos https://www.youtube.com/user/HornHillRange
Re: Hog Attacks [Re: Tactical Cowboy] #6226207 03/17/16 02:46 AM
P
Palehorse Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
P
Here's one.

Re: Hog Attacks [Re: Tactical Cowboy] #6226209 03/17/16 02:53 AM
J
Jbell99 Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
J
When I was little and lived in Georgia I was in the woods by myself headed to my favorite fishing spot and heard something running towards me it was a hog it chased me for a couple of minutes but got away without getting hurt

Re: Hog Attacks [Re: Palehorse] #6226226 03/17/16 03:07 AM
T
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
T
Originally Posted by Palehorse
Here's one.

That was gory. I had to turn it off before I lost my stomach! grin

Re: Hog Attacks [Re: Tactical Cowboy] #6226231 03/17/16 03:17 AM
Duck_Hunter Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Saw a hunting show last year where the host had been attacked by a hog the year before and almost died, according to the story he told. It wasn't his guts, it was a bunch of cuts to his legs.

Originally Posted by bill oxner
I just turned it on . I was looking bird dogs in the butt this morning.

[Linked Image]
Re: Hog Attacks [Re: Palehorse] #6226237 03/17/16 03:31 AM
S
SnakeWrangler Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
S
Here's one.

That one would have come home with me...I'd have to explain to the wife how we got a new pet...

Originally Posted by Sneaky
I believe in science and I’m an insufferable [censored]
Originally Posted by beaversnipe
Actually, BBC is pretty damn good

"You Cannot Simultaneously Be Politically Correct And Intellectually Honest!"
Re: Hog Attacks [Re: Tactical Cowboy] #6226243 03/17/16 03:36 AM
W
wtjim Offline
Tracker
Tracker
W
Sow tried to get me after I put a zwickey in her bread basket. I made to a tree before she got to me...I've killed around a 100 hogs and that the only one

Re: Hog Attacks [Re: Tactical Cowboy] #6226265 03/17/16 04:02 AM
K
krmitchell Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
K
Yes, but only once. I trapped 8 pigs, in my excitement to get to the trap I rode right up to it without checking to see if there were any pigs not in the trap (the previous weekend I trapped 7 and had two outside the trap, I noticed them 50 yrds away from the trap, shot one and the other took off). I drove up to the trap, got off only to have two hogs run straight at me from either side of the trap. It was 27 degrees and my pistol was under 3 layers of clothing...Pig on the left saw me and went the opposite way, pig on the right came straight at me. After scrambling to get my XD-40 out, I fired 3 shots before I hit the pig, not killing it but at least turning it away from me.....It got within 7 feet before I finally put a round in her. Word to the wise, when in a panic situation it pays to have extra rounds...I'm an experienced shooter but that incident proved I needed more practice in panic mode. Needless to say that was one of the scariest situations I've been in and never walk around without a pistol now.

Last edited by rexmitchell; 03/17/16 04:03 AM.
Re: Hog Attacks [Re: Tactical Cowboy] #6226277 03/17/16 04:27 AM
C
ChadTRG42 Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
C
I've been charged once. We were Spring turkey hunting and all I had was a shotgun with #4 shot (mistake that won't happen again!) We ran across some pigs, and we decided to flank them and shoot them from about 30 yards. I shot the largest sow twice quickly, and she circled around (either saw us to charge us, or was making the circle and ended up just coming straight at us, not sure which). Either way, she was running right at me from about 20 yards out. I put the front bead right on her forehead and pulled the trigger. It hit her about 10 yards out, and she slid to a stop just in front of my feet. It was just like the Dancing with Wolves shot on the buffalo. It got the adrenaline pumping for sure!

I've also had hunting buddy get charged bow hunting and wounding a large boar. The boar charged him after the second shot, and treed him for about 30 minutes.

[Linked Image]
Custom and Precision Ammunition!!
https://DallasReloads.com/
Type 01 and Type 06 FFL
Re: Hog Attacks [Re: Tactical Cowboy] #6226495 03/17/16 01:59 PM
E
EddieWalker Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
E
I classify wild hogs just under whitetail deer in dangerous animals in the wild. A lot more people are gored by a buck, or kicked by a doe every year then attacked by a deer. Wolves are even lower on that list!!!! Black bears are at the top of it for mammals, and snakes are what I'm afraid of the most!!!

A good friend shot a good sized sow with his bow awhile ago. He waited about an hour, then went to look for her. He followed the blood trail into a thick stand of brush and while trying to look into it, the hog charge him. He was knocked onto his back and she got on top of him. He held her off with one hand, with a couple fingers in her mouth. He was able to get an arrow and stab her to death while she was on top of him. His fingers and thumb where chewed up pretty bad requiring stitches and a metal thing taped to his hand to stop him from moving them. The rest of his body was black and blue, he looked like he had been jumped by a gang and just beat to crap.

Re: Hog Attacks [Re: Tactical Cowboy] #6226532 03/17/16 02:24 PM
1860.colt Offline
emoji colt.45
emoji colt.45
As pappy say's: Hog hunting will put hairs on your chest... i shave every morning & by 5 O'clock i've got a shadow ... Not a bad idea ta hunt with a friend accident do happen.... Edit: if ya huntsolo your memories die with ya... flag

Last edited by colt.45; 03/17/16 02:28 PM.

i'm postaddic
Re: Hog Attacks [Re: Tactical Cowboy] #6226549 03/17/16 02:32 PM
A
Aggieman775 Offline
Tracker
Tracker
A
I have encountered a number of hogs and have only had 2 that look like they might. But I was able to shoot them before they did

TSmith
Re: Hog Attacks [Re: Tactical Cowboy] #6226567 03/17/16 02:43 PM
R
Red Cloud Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
R
I had one "charge" me while trying to get away from someone else in thick brush. I ended that encounter with a 12 ga. He was panicked, exciting but I doubt I was in much danger.

Re: Hog Attacks [Re: ChadTRG42] #6226572 03/17/16 02:44 PM
K
krmitchell Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
K
Originally Posted By: ChadTRG42
I've been charged once. We were Spring turkey hunting and all I had was a shotgun with #4 shot (mistake that won't happen again!) We ran across some pigs, and we decided to flank them and shoot them from about 30 yards. I shot the largest sow twice quickly, and she circled around (either saw us to charge us, or was making the circle and ended up just coming straight at us, not sure which). Either way, she was running right at me from about 20 yards out. I put the front bead right on her forehead and pulled the trigger. It hit her about 10 yards out, and she slid to a stop just in front of my feet. It was just like the Dancing with Wolves shot on the buffalo. It got the adrenaline pumping for sure!

I've also had hunting buddy get charged bow hunting and wounding a large boar. The boar charged him after the second shot, and treed him for about 30 minutes.

Guy on our lease had the same thing happen dove hunting. Sitting on the edge of a pond on a stool had a hog come running over the edge of the pond straight at him. He put #8 birdshot straight between the eyes and dropped it. Wad didn't have time to expand so it was basically a slug shot to the face.

Re: Hog Attacks [Re: Tactical Cowboy] #6226619 03/17/16 03:14 PM
P
PMK Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
P
back in the 60s, a close friend of my dad, rancher in NW Burnet county, rough country east side of lake Buchanan. He started losing calves to what he suspected was a large hog. He grabbed his old 30-30 and saddled up his horse to go find it. He was several miles away from the house when a very large boar charged out of the brush and ran underneath the horse. Tusk sliced the horse's belly open, horse trampled it's own guts trying to get away. the horse finally collapsed and the rancher scrambled to and up a tree with the hog in close pursuit. The 30-30 was still in the scabbard on the underside of the now dead horse. The hog started eating on the exposed guts and it quickly got dark. The rancher could hear the hog eating on his horse. He spent the night up in that tree and at day break, quietly got down and grabbed his gun and headed back to the house. He got several other ranchers together and took dogs to track the hog. They found it and killed it but not until it had killed several of the dogs. The rancher pulled the ivories and put on a leather strap around his neck as a reminder how dangerous hogs can be, especially once they have gotten a taste of blood.

in the 80s, we had a lease in northern Llano county and that rancher had range hogs, domestic but grazed like cattle. Dad always warned me about when I kill a deer, to listen for the hogs while I was gutting it. One day dad and I were together and one of us shot a doe. I started gutting it and dad told me to hurry up, he could hear the hogs coming. I got her gutted pretty quickly and he told me to toss her up in a cedar tree as high as I could and we moved 50 or so yards away. A group of 8-10 grown hogs came charging in and started fighting over the gut pile. It was a pretty scary sight and vicious. Once they finished the gut pile, they started sniffing out the drag trail to the cedar tree and I thought they were going to tear it down trying to get to the deer.

so yes, I have a lot of respect for what a hog can do although most seem to be very scared and will run away.

"everyone that lives dies but not everyone who dies lived..."

~PMK~
Re: Hog Attacks [Re: Tactical Cowboy] #6226634 03/17/16 03:22 PM
S
Stompy Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
S
My neighbor got hit by a big boar, ripped his leg open pretty good. He was Quail hunting (when we had a lot of Quail) and spooked it out of some brush. He got a pretty bad infection and had to do some skin graphs. He said he came close to loosing his leg due to the infection.

www.jaranchhunting.com
Cabin Rentals on the ranch for Hubbard Creek Lake
Re: Hog Attacks [Re: Tactical Cowboy] #6226645 03/17/16 03:30 PM
C
Choctaw Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
C
No, never.

Re: Hog Attacks [Re: PMK] #6226647 03/17/16 03:31 PM
1860.colt Offline
emoji colt.45
emoji colt.45
Originally Posted By: PMK
back in the 60s, a close friend of my dad, rancher in NW Burnet county, rough country east side of lake Buchanan. He started losing calves to what he suspected was a large hog. He grabbed his old 30-30 and saddled up his shetland pony to go find it. He was several miles away from the house when a very large boar charged out of the brush and ran underneath the horse. Tusk sliced the horse's belly open, horse trampled it's own guts trying to get away. the horse finally collapsed and the rancher scrambled to and up a tree with the hog in close pursuit. The 30-30 was still in the scabbard on the underside of the now dead horse. The hog started eating on the exposed guts and it quickly got dark. The rancher could hear the hog eating on his horse. He spent the night up in that tree and at day break, quietly got down and grabbed his gun and headed back to the house. He got several other ranchers together and took dogs to track the hog. They found it and killed it but not until it had killed several of the dogs. The rancher pulled the ivories and put on a leather strap around his neck as a reminder how dangerous hogs can be, especially once they have gotten a taste of blood.

in the 80s, we had a lease in northern Llano county and that rancher had range hogs, domestic but grazed like cattle. Dad always warned me about when I kill a deer, to listen for the hogs while I was gutting it. One day dad and I were together and one of us shot a doe. I started gutting it and dad told me to hurry up, he could hear the hogs coming. I got her gutted pretty quickly and he told me to toss her up in a cedar tree as high as I could and we moved 50 or so yards away. A group of 8-10 grown hogs came charging in and started fighting over the gut pile. It was a pretty scary sight and vicious. Once they finished the gut pile, they started sniffing out the drag trail to the cedar tree and I thought they were going to tear it down trying to get to the deer.

so yes, I have a lot of respect for what a hog can do although most seem to be very scared and will run away.

peep FIFY rofl bolt flag

i'm postaddic
Re: Hog Attacks [Re: Tactical Cowboy] #6226676 03/17/16 03:46 PM
C
cabosandinh Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
C
hogs on my place are a bunch of wussies ....

and they don't feed on gut piles like I've been told/heard.
These are more vegans, prefer corn and other vegetation

Re: Hog Attacks [Re: Palehorse] #6226764 03/17/16 04:45 PM
S
StretchR Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
S
Here's one.

My concern in a circumstance like that would be that a mad, 300-pound, mamma sow might come charging out of the woods to figure out what I was doing with her baby! It is good that the piglet wasn't making any distress sounds...

cry

Re: Hog Attacks [Re: Tactical Cowboy] #6226773 03/17/16 04:53 PM
W
WileyCoyote Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
W
Busted a small buck early one morning in a dry creek wash right on the Eastland County line, dragged him up to the road turnaround just west of my ground box blind, and was waiting for my ride, dozing.

Heard a commotion coming thru the super thick woods across behind me...and out popped a single young adult sized porker, about 125 lbs or so, moving thru at a high trot about 60 yards to my east. He slowed to a walk & started sniffing the air, from his steady lope...and I hit him further back that I wanted when he heard my safety click off and had wheeled away from me, with a solid right shoulder joint impact instead of the clean behind the eye & under the ear aiming point, and rolled him hard, he got up and hauled it back into the deep woods behind me.

2nd shot came a few minutes later with him draging the right front leg, with almost the same exact setup on his game trail path, hit him hard right behind the shoulder and rolled him hard...and again he crawled off, only this time into a 30' high wall of brier & shin oak thicket across the road out of sight to mu south. Waited 10 minutes on my watch and crawled in after him down the game trail.

3rd shot came when I was 75-80 yards deep in the brier patch still on my hands and knees following his blood trail when he got up and faced me at about 30 yards and I hit him in the cowlick on his chest as he was getting ready for the charge, but I was hoping to end it right there. Madea good hit that turned him head over AH, and he crawled back under his tree where he'd been hiding. Sat back on my heels and waited for 5-6 minutes on my watch again, and started crawling forward when I didn't see any more movement.

4th & final shot came at about 25-30 feet on his stumbling charge still clicking his cutters, with the bullet placed just under his right eye. Game over.

Was using my all time favorite rifle, a USRAC M70 Fwt 257 Rbts with it's favorite ammo, that was well proven in it's 10 years of use on WTail & Pronghorns (& long time now discontinued) 100gr WW Silver(aluminum) Tip white box ammo. Nothing I ever reloaded ever came close to that WW 100gr ST bullets accuracy. Recovered the 1st, & 2nd bullet in full expansion and deep penetration, assummed the 3rd bullet went into the gut pile, and the 4th bullet went couple inches into an oak tree behind him leaving a 1/2" thru & thru.

Moved back to my 270's in Speer 150gr SP's after that as a my do all caliber & load and never again had an "adventure" like that. A "Too Close for Comfort" memory that has stayed with me ever since, since my 4th bullet was my LAST bullet in the pouch and the rifle's mag well.

After hunting WTails and other critters for 50 years, I know that bullet placement is king...but the boolit's gotta do the work no matter where it hits....and why I lean toward heavy for caliber bullets on game critters, and won't shoot anything I want to recover & eat with less than Dead Solid for Certain DRT capable bullets.with the rest of the game up to me to perform my share of the deal. IE...if a 243/257R class bullet is usually GTG ...a 120/130/140/150 gr'er at the same or faster MV' outta a 6.5 sumthin or larger is always gonna be Mo Bettah. BTDT and walked away that time with nuthin but lotsa finger thick brier cuts...but mebbe not the next time.
Ron

It is TIME for Term Limits, cause Politicians are like childrens diapers and for the same reasons...Robin Williams

"These are the times that try men's soul's"...Thomas Paine

"Those who fail to learn from History are doomed to repeat it" ....Santayana
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide