Re: Hog Attacks [Re: ndhunter] #6241846 03/30/16 07:23 PM
skinnerback Offline
THF Celebrity Chef
THF Celebrity Chef
Originally Posted By: ndhunter
Quote:
actually put your hands on a live pissed off pig

Why would you do that?

To hobble them or stick them, don't use guns with the dogs. Rifles and night vision are about useless when the corn crops are up (can't see). You have to go in after them using the dog's nose.

Re: Hog Attacks [Re: skinnerback] #6242526 03/31/16 04:01 AM
N
ndhunter Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
N
Originally Posted By: skinnerback
Quote:
actually put your hands on a live pissed off pig

Why would you do that?

To hobble them or stick them, don't use guns with the dogs. Rifles and night vision are about useless when the corn crops are up (can't see). You have to go in after them using the dog's nose.

Seems like there ought to be a better way of keeping them out of the corn. Putting your hands on a live pissed off pig to keep it out of the corn sounds like an opportunity for process improvement to me. What do I know.

Re: Hog Attacks [Re: ndhunter] #6242549 03/31/16 05:18 AM
skinnerback Offline
THF Celebrity Chef
THF Celebrity Chef
roflmao Unless you can convince the farmers to build pig proof fences around millions of acres of crop country, there is no better method when the crops are up. If there was a better process lots of folks would be doing it. Trapping and snaring is not normally allowed in the farm country, around here. Like mentioned before can't normally see to shoot them. We don't use poison. Dogs are the most effective tool when the crops are up. Once caught, to hobble them or stab them you kinda need to put your hands on them. up

Re: Hog Attacks [Re: skinnerback] #6243163 03/31/16 07:44 PM
N
ndhunter Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
N
roflmao Unless you can convince the farmers to build pig proof fences around millions of acres of crop country, there is no better method when the crops are up. If there was a better process lots of folks would be doing it. Trapping and snaring is not normally allowed in the farm country, around here. Like mentioned before can't normally see to shoot them. We don't use poison. Dogs are the most effective tool when the crops are up. Once caught, to hobble them or stab them you kinda need to put your hands on them. up

You grab them while others are shooting them from helicopters. These pigs got everyone stumped. Sounds like a hard way to make a buck to me. up

Re: Hog Attacks [Re: ndhunter] #6243217 03/31/16 08:23 PM
skinnerback Offline
THF Celebrity Chef
THF Celebrity Chef

You grab them while others are shooting them from helicopters. These pigs got everyone stumped. Sounds like a hard way to make a buck to me. up

The farmers do hire choppers and they are effective, but not when the crops are up. No one is stumped here, just the way that it is. If you can't see them to shoot them, then you go in after them and drag them out. No it's not easy, but it is rewarding.

Re: Hog Attacks [Re: skinnerback] #6243264 03/31/16 09:04 PM
R
Reggie Offline
Tracker
Tracker
R

From what I have experience from hogs it takes a few things to make them go after you. A wounded hog who runs toward you while trying to escape will veer your direction to get you. A wounded a hog once and was standing on the trail when I fired the shot. It was sow and she came running down the trail I was standing on. I jumped 3 yards to the left of the trail and once that sow made eye contact she veered my way. I put another round in her chest and that was that. I don't think she was charging me but once she saw me she decided to go out with a bang. I did find two interesting videos on Youtube.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S4xNY2_nnp8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IM3_gGTQa4Q

Both these hogs decided to go out in a blaze of glory.

Last edited by Reggie; 03/31/16 11:04 PM.
Re: Hog Attacks [Re: Reggie] #6243295 03/31/16 09:34 PM
S
SnakeWrangler Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
S
Originally Posted By: Reggie

From what I have experience from hogs it takes a few things to make them go after you. A wounded hog who runs toward you while trying to escape will veer your direction to get you. A wounded a hog once and was standing on the trail when I fired the shot. It was sow and she came running down the trail I was standing on. I jumped 3 yards to the left of the trail and once that sow made eye contact she veered my way. I put another round in her chest and that was that. I don't think she was charging me but once she saw me she decided to go out with a bang. I did find two interesting videos on Youtube.

Same video twice....

Originally Posted by Sneaky
I believe in science and I’m an insufferable [censored]
Originally Posted by beaversnipe
Actually, BBC is pretty damn good

"You Cannot Simultaneously Be Politically Correct And Intellectually Honest!"
Re: Hog Attacks [Re: Reggie] #6243318 03/31/16 10:01 PM
T
titan2232 Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
T

Dang a 9 foot broad/side jump isn't too shabby. Might try out for the Olympic Long Jump team lol35

Re: Hog Attacks [Re: titan2232] #6243373 03/31/16 11:07 PM
R
Reggie Offline
Tracker
Tracker
R
Originally Posted By: titan2232

Dang a 9 foot broad/side jump isn't too shabby. Might try out for the Olympic Long Jump team lol35

My vertical is not that good grin It took a few mini jumps. Second video fixed.

Re: Hog Attacks [Re: Tactical Cowboy] #6243424 03/31/16 11:46 PM
J
JCB Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
J
In 2014 I put the "Sow protecting her babies" thing to the test. I had one Sow with very young piglets visiting my feeder pretty often but I didn't want to shoot her since she had so many young uns with her. Anyway one day she came in well before dark and just for fun I texted another member on the lease that she was here and I was going to try and get between her and her piglets just to see if she would attack. So just me and my cell phone take about a 70 yard walk towards the feeder with the phone on record the whole time. Just to show you how bad their eyesight is I got within 20 yards of her before she knew I was there and I wasn't even trying to stay hidden at all.

To make a long story short she started poppin her jaws and grunting at me but stood her ground at first. At about 15 yards her piggys huddled up under some prickly pear and momma circled in behind me putting me directly between her and her young. She wanted very badly to come at me but never made any real attempt at it. She was bound and determined not to leave her young though and stayed within 25 yards of me the whole time I was filming.

Re: Hog Attacks [Re: JCB] #6243772 04/01/16 05:06 AM
N
ndhunter Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
N
Originally Posted By: JCB
In 2014 I put the "Sow protecting her babies" thing to the test. I had one Sow with very young piglets visiting my feeder pretty often but I didn't want to shoot her since she had so many young uns with her. Anyway one day she came in well before dark and just for fun I texted another member on the lease that she was here and I was going to try and get between her and her piglets just to see if she would attack. So just me and my cell phone take about a 70 yard walk towards the feeder with the phone on record the whole time. Just to show you how bad their eyesight is I got within 20 yards of her before she knew I was there and I wasn't even trying to stay hidden at all.

To make a long story short she started poppin her jaws and grunting at me but stood her ground at first. At about 15 yards her piggys huddled up under some prickly pear and momma circled in behind me putting me directly between her and her young. She wanted very badly to come at me but never made any real attempt at it. She was bound and determined not to leave her young though and stayed within 25 yards of me the whole time I was filming.

Stands to reason that a sow would instinctively protect the young

Don't mean to sound too harsh but if your intent is to eradicate then shooting the sow is the right thing to do

Those young uns just become big nasty smelly pigs that will take out a corner of a wheat field or feed or feed on a calf

Re: Hog Attacks [Re: skinnerback] #6243775 04/01/16 05:12 AM
N
ndhunter Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
N

The farmers do hire choppers and they are effective, but not when the crops are up. No one is stumped here, just the way that it is. If you can't see them to shoot them, then you go in after them and drag them out. No it's not easy, but it is rewarding.

"Then plough deep while sluggards sleep, and you shall have corn to sell and to keep"
-Ben Franklin

Keep Calm and Kill Them All Skinnerback

Re: Hog Attacks [Re: ndhunter] #6243803 04/01/16 06:21 AM
skinnerback Offline
THF Celebrity Chef
THF Celebrity Chef

"Then plough deep while sluggards sleep, and you shall have corn to sell and to keep"
-Ben Franklin

Keep Calm and Kill Them All Skinnerback

cheers I am an amateur compared to a few of my good friends that are out there 3-5 days/week year round. up They are hard core, I just help when I can.

Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide