Most Online25,604
Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
I want to learn Taxidermy. Need advice #6224624 03/15/16 11:11 PM
AmerMirza Offline OP
Woodsman
OP Offline
Woodsman
I would like to learn Taxidermy but the course is offered Mon - Fri and I have a day job. I cannot afford to miss work for that many weeks. Does anyone know of a Taxidermy Weekend School? Or can anyone offer to teach me Taxidermy for a reasonable price? Or even if someone has projects and needs help with Taxidermy stuff I can help them for Free in exchange for learning. I am in DFW area and willing to travel 3-4 hours for weekend if needed.

*** I barter for Meat Hunts. You dont Pay a $! Website and Facebook Promo for Meat Hunts. Ask me how !***
Re: I want to learn Taxidermy. Need advice [Re: AmerMirza] #6225984 03/17/16 12:29 AM
T
typical10 Offline
Light Foot
Light Foot
T
Learning taxidermy on weekends is a bad idea. You will not be schooled properly and or you wont have enough time in two days to learn Jack, then after a few weekends something else comes up and its all for not. I was in your position 30 years ago, I quit my job and did 9 weeks with Matuska School of Tax. In Iowa. I have since been approached and tried to school a few students that way and it DOES NOT WORK. JMO jeff~

Re: I want to learn Taxidermy. Need advice [Re: typical10] #6226220 03/17/16 03:01 AM
AmerMirza Offline OP
Woodsman
OP Offline
Woodsman
Originally Posted By: typical10
Learning taxidermy on weekends is a bad idea. You will not be schooled properly and or you wont have enough time in two days to learn Jack, then after a few weekends something else comes up and its all for not. I was in your position 30 years ago, I quit my job and did 9 weeks with Matuska School of Tax. In Iowa. I have since been approached and tried to school a few students that way and it DOES NOT WORK. JMO jeff~

Jeff,

Thank you for your feedback. I got my Masters Degree going to College at Night, Working Days with a child on the way. Did that for 2 years. Not sure how I cant do weekends for 6 weekends in a row. Again, I am no expert but look to experts and experienced folks like you for advice. Are you saying some of the work requires 4-5 days of constant continuation?

Amer

*** I barter for Meat Hunts. You dont Pay a $! Website and Facebook Promo for Meat Hunts. Ask me how !***
Re: I want to learn Taxidermy. Need advice [Re: AmerMirza] #6226452 03/17/16 01:24 PM
H
Huftax Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
H
One thing you can do for a start is to Join the Texas Taxidermy association, we have one of the largest annual conventions in the world that is all about education. 3 straight days of seminars everything from beginner to advanced techniques. There is a competition as well for the members interested in it but the focus of our association is continuing education. Have a look at our website, feel free to give any board member a call with any questions you may have.

Texas Taxidermy association inc.

Re: I want to learn Taxidermy. Need advice [Re: typical10] #6227214 03/17/16 11:33 PM
T
typical10 Offline
Light Foot
Light Foot
T
Depending if your looking to learn only certain species or everything, you need to be able to multi task with a number of things going on in the shop, mounting, drying, bases, painting ect. you simply stated you want to learn taxidermy, it would be feasible if you concentrated on one area such as fish, birds, big game, would be a possibility. Have you ever sat in a shop for a day and observed? I thought I want to learn to be a mortician until I observed? just saying~

Last edited by typical10; 03/17/16 11:35 PM.
Re: I want to learn Taxidermy. Need advice [Re: typical10] #6227588 03/18/16 03:13 AM
AmerMirza Offline OP
Woodsman
OP Offline
Woodsman
Originally Posted By: typical10
Depending if your looking to learn only certain species or everything, you need to be able to multi task with a number of things going on in the shop, mounting, drying, bases, painting ect. you simply stated you want to learn taxidermy, it would be feasible if you concentrated on one area such as fish, birds, big game, would be a possibility. Have you ever sat in a shop for a day and observed? I thought I want to learn to be a mortician until I observed? just saying~

I think you raise good point. However, I dont know who would just allow me to sit and observe. I wouldnt mind paying someone few dollars to just sit and observe. I am definitely motivated and think I can do this.

Re: I want to learn Taxidermy. Need advice [Re: AmerMirza] #6227773 03/18/16 12:29 PM
H
Huftax Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
H
You can't learn taxidermy by "sitting and observing" it is an arduous hands on process. Most full time taxidermists won't let you just watch not because they don't want to teach but because they just don't have the time. when you do that you end up talking , answering questions back and forth and taking up a lot of time.
I suggest finding a school and taking a quick course in one part like game heads for example just to get a feel of it to see if you will want to do it. It wouldn't be that expensive and would only take a few days.

Last edited by Huftax; 03/18/16 12:29 PM.
Re: I want to learn Taxidermy. Need advice [Re: AmerMirza] #6250477 04/07/16 01:35 AM
B
BDB Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
B
I was in your shoes in the mid 90's. But I had some time for a school. I took a 2 week class (full course was 6 weeks). The 2 week course had no birds or fish in it, yet birds and fish is what i ended up being my best in. I shot my birds and caught me fish. Bought books and videos. Read all I could. Mounted up my own stuff. Then I did what was some great advise you got above, I joined the TTA. Went to the convention in Bryan one year and met Carlos Adams. The best bird man in Tx and surrounding states and one of the top 5 in the country at the time. I approached him with an offer and he accepted. I could skin and prep a duck like a PRO! About the time he was about to really get into the true art of it (mounting and finish) Carlos unfortunately passed away.

I would stick to birds/fish. Less tools and if you time it right on the fish you can keep the smell to a min. (unless you get into reproductions). I would also approach a reputable, established taxidermist. They will not fill threatened. An up and new guy trying to get established will view you as competition.

I guess really what I'm trying to say is.....school is NOT NEEDED for this. Yes it can help but let me tell you, I learned more AFTER I got out of the school I went to than I did while there. You gotta be a sponge for knowledge. Today, my current job lets me pay someone (Pat @ Avian Arts) to mount me birds.

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide