Re: Shotguns for home defense [Re: mikei] #6224027 03/15/16 01:57 PM
C
charlesb Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
C
More than a few of the home-breakers wear body armor these days, so:

Aim for the chin.

I have my shotgun loaded with an alternating #4 buckshot, slug mix with a #4 buckshot round going first.

Everyone has their own idea about this. - I prefer #4 buck and slugs, in 12ga..

Eight rounds in the tube, four more in the side-saddle. In all likelihood though, the first round is going to do the job.

If there's a second homebreaker hiding behind something though - a slug will take care of that.

Last edited by charlesb; 03/15/16 01:59 PM.

Kind regards, charlesb

Re: Shotguns for home defense [Re: mikei] #6224112 03/15/16 03:10 PM
Brother in-law Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Hmmm I haven't heard or seen many homebreakers wearing body armour lately

Re: Shotguns for home defense [Re: mikei] #6224129 03/15/16 03:18 PM
D
Dien Offline
Tracker
Tracker
D
Obviously you don't live in West Texas.

Re: Shotguns for home defense [Re: mikei] #6224185 03/15/16 04:09 PM
H
HicksHunter Online Content
Veteran Tracker
Online Content
Veteran Tracker
H
So why are people still advocating a shotgun for home defense, when a carbine is clearly superior?

Re: Shotguns for home defense [Re: HicksHunter] #6224298 03/15/16 06:28 PM
J.G. Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted By: HicksHunter
So why are people still advocating a shotgun for home defense, when a carbine is clearly superior?

Carbine has to be aimed, shotgun has to be pointed. Carbine creates a cross section of .223 inches, shotgun creates a cross section of 12 inches.

Carbine round goes through lots of walls, shotgun goes through less walls, or no walls. Kids are on the other side of walls, neighbors are on the other sides of walls.

[Linked Image]
800 Yard Steel Range
Precision Rifle Instruction
Memberships and Classes Available
Re: Shotguns for home defense [Re: J.G.] #6224324 03/15/16 06:56 PM
R
RafterH Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
R
Originally Posted By: FiremanJG

Carbine has to be aimed, shotgun has to be pointed. Carbine creates a cross section of .223 inches, shotgun creates a cross section of 12 inches.

Carbine round goes through lots of walls, shotgun goes through less walls, or no walls. Kids are on the other side of walls, neighbors are on the other sides of walls.

Well Said.

Re: Shotguns for home defense [Re: HicksHunter] #6224369 03/15/16 07:37 PM
C
cyphertext Offline
Tracker
Tracker
C

Please elaborate on "a carbine is clearly superior"... Growing up hunting squirrel and wing shooting, I guarantee I have put more rounds through a shotgun than I have a carbine. Familiarity is key with any firearm for defensive purposes.

Also, while this has changed recently with the low cost AR-15s, a shotgun is less expensive than a carbine.

I'll also take 9, .30 caliber pellets vs. one .223 pill for a single trigger pull to stop an intruder.

But there are some advantages to an AR as well... low recoil, high mag capacity... Comes down to what you are most comfortable with. It is the Indian, not the arrow.

Re: Shotguns for home defense [Re: J.G.] #6224371 03/15/16 07:40 PM
C
cyphertext Offline
Tracker
Tracker
C

No... not true. A shotgun, at across the house distance, still has to be aimed. At 10 yards, mine does not spread 00 buck out much larger than a softball size pattern.

My 00 buck is going to go through walls... more walls than many 5.56 rounds that are designed for defense and use in urban areas.

Re: Shotguns for home defense [Re: mikei] #6224395 03/15/16 08:13 PM
T
tehachapi Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
T
There's not a single correct answer for everyone/everyplace in all situations. Listen, read, practice and make your own calls and learn to live with them. I use a carbine and a handgun in my home defense use. My wife is happier with a handgun. We're both pretty satisfied with our choices.

Re: Shotguns for home defense [Re: cyphertext] #6224419 03/15/16 08:43 PM
J.G. Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted By: cyphertext

No... not true. A shotgun, at across the house distance, still has to be aimed. At 10 yards, mine does not spread 00 buck out much larger than a softball size pattern.

My 00 buck is going to go through walls... more walls than many 5.56 rounds that are designed for defense and use in urban areas.

It is true if one has their shotgun loaded with 7 1/2 such as I do. Point and shoot, not near the wall penetration. With a carbine you pick this bullet or that bullet, it's still a bullet.

And don't try to tell me 7 1/2 won't work. I've seen what it can do, first hand. wink

[Linked Image]
800 Yard Steel Range
Re: Shotguns for home defense [Re: mikei] #6224434 03/15/16 08:57 PM
N
Nogalus Prairie Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
N
After having an intruder at the shop I thought I might have to shoot with my .45, I immediately went and got a HD shotgun.

Originally Posted by Russ79
I learned long ago you can't reason someone out of something they don't reason themselves into.

Re: Shotguns for home defense [Re: J.G.] #6224462 03/15/16 09:22 PM
H
HicksHunter Online Content
Veteran Tracker
Online Content
Veteran Tracker
H

It is true if one has their shotgun loaded with 7 1/2 such as I do. Point and shoot, not near the wall penetration. With a carbine you pick this bullet or that bullet, it's still a bullet.

And don't try to tell me 7 1/2 won't work. I've seen what it can do, first hand. wink

Sure, but it regularly underpenetrates. Why would you pick something that has a lesser change of stopping an attacker? And if you're shooting down a hallway, expect even worse results.

Re: Shotguns for home defense [Re: mikei] #6224475 03/15/16 09:32 PM
N
Nitro27 Offline
Tracker
Tracker
N
I don't think there is anything more deadly that a shotgun at in house distances.00 buck would be my choice. But if you have little ones running around there is really no good way to secure it and still have it available if there was a need for it. same goes for a carbine.

Last edited by Nitro27; 03/15/16 09:35 PM.
Re: Shotguns for home defense [Re: J.G.] #6224478 03/15/16 09:36 PM
C
cyphertext Offline
Tracker
Tracker
C

Ever shot a dove with that 7 1/2 and when you went over to pick it up, you find that it isn't dead? If it isn't guaranteed to stop a dove, I'm not using it for home defense.

Re: Shotguns for home defense [Re: HicksHunter] #6224484 03/15/16 09:40 PM
T
Tactical Cowboy Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
T

Anything worth shooting someone with is going to go through walls. I'll take a semi auto handgun any day over a shotgun. More ammo, easier to use, and much, much faster to reload. I can load 8 rounds in a shotgun in about 6 seconds. I can empty a 20 round mag, reload, empty another 20 rounder and reload again in the same amount of time with a pistol. Shotguns have their place, but they really aren't any easier to use than a pistol.

The secret to a long life is to try not to shorten it.
Re: Shotguns for home defense [Re: Tactical Cowboy] #6224513 03/15/16 09:57 PM
C
cyphertext Offline
Tracker
Tracker
C
Originally Posted By: Tactical Cowboy

Anything worth shooting someone with is going to go through walls. I'll take a semi auto handgun any day over a shotgun. More ammo, easier to use, and much, much faster to reload. I can load 8 rounds in a shotgun in about 6 seconds. I can empty a 20 round mag, reload, empty another 20 rounder and reload again in the same amount of time with a pistol. Shotguns have their place, but they really aren't any easier to use than a pistol.

I've got to disagree with this too. A firearm that is shouldered is going to be easier to get hits with than one that is not. More points of contact with the body and is much more stable.

Not to mention, with two shells of 00 buck, I have more projectiles than most pistols will hold.

Re: Shotguns for home defense [Re: cyphertext] #6224516 03/15/16 10:02 PM
J.G. Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
I'll state again, I've seen what 7 1/2 can do to a grown man. I've got a small house, so if I had to use it, it's going to be close enough to work.

Those dove were hit while flying 60 miles an hour, and got hit with one BB. Not the same as ten feet away on a grown man that can't move that fast, and gets almost every BB.

But this is Texas, do as you please. Hopefully none of us will ever have to employ what ever we have in the house.

[Linked Image]
800 Yard Steel Range
Re: Shotguns for home defense [Re: cyphertext] #6224526 03/15/16 10:07 PM
T
Tactical Cowboy Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
T

I've got to disagree with this too. A firearm that is shouldered is going to be easier to get hits with than one that is not. More points of contact with the body and is much more stable.

Not to mention, with two shells of 00 buck, I have more projectiles than most pistols will hold.

And you have just about as good a chance of missing with those two rounds as a pistol or rifle. Each of those pellets carries less energy than a .32acp. And after you've missed twice, or short stroked your shotgun, you're down to 6 rounds in the gun, if you have a long barrel or tube. And follow-up shots will be MUCH slower with your pump gun.

But who needs a follow up with a shotgun? Everybody knows you can't miss.

Re: Shotguns for home defense [Re: mikei] #6224563 03/15/16 10:37 PM
M
mikei Offline OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
M
As someone said earlier in this thread, aim (or point) for the chin. 7 1/2 or 6 shot shotgun shells discharged at a person's chin from 7 yards or so, will most assuredly "stop the threat." I was discussing this issue with an LEO at the San Antonio gun show a few months ago. I carry a Judge with #6 shot as my vehicle gun, and a 12 gauge DP-12 as my home defense weapon, and wanted to know if he felt they were adequate for the purpose I intend for them. He cited a couple of instances where perps had been "face-shot" with bird shot at 7-10 yards inside businesses and homes. He said that the damage was "gruesome." Both perps were blinded for life; lost most of their teeth; their tongues were unusable; and with one of them, his left ear was removed.

Re: Shotguns for home defense [Re: Tactical Cowboy] #6224564 03/15/16 10:39 PM
C
cyphertext Offline
Tracker
Tracker
C

And you have just about as good a chance of missing with those two rounds as a pistol or rifle. Each of those pellets carries less energy than a .32acp. And after you've missed twice, or short stroked your shotgun, you're down to 6 rounds in the gun, if you have a long barrel or tube. And follow-up shots will be MUCH slower with your pump gun.

No, you don't have "just about as good a chance of missing"... most people can shoot a shouldered weapon and get hits on a target easier than they can put hits on targets with a pistol. This is a proven fact. Again, a shouldered weapon has more points of contact with the body, so it is more stable. Also has a longer sight radius. Notice above I said that a shotgun has to be aimed at the distances we are talking. I can take a group of Boy Scouts out and get them on target much easier with a rifle or shotgun than the pistol.

Those pellets are moving fast enough to penetrate and hit vitals... that's really all that matters. Much bigger wound than a single projectile.

I don't believe that a shotgun is "MUCH slower" on a follow up shot either. It may be a little slower depending on the guy behind it. Also, you are aware that they make semi auto shotguns these days too, right?

Again, the shotgun is not perfect... a handgun has some pros in it's favor. It is definitely easier to move about the house with the handgun, if you have to do that. Easier to keep a handgun on you at all times as well. But I am a firm believer in using the handgun to get to a long gun.

Re: Shotguns for home defense [Re: mikei] #6224585 03/15/16 10:53 PM
N
Nogalus Prairie Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
N
So a pistol is better than a shotgun in the ease of use/hit what you are shooting at category now?

Hmmmm....

Last edited by Nogalus Prairie; 03/15/16 10:54 PM.

Originally Posted by Russ79
I learned long ago you can't reason someone out of something they don't reason themselves into.

Re: Shotguns for home defense [Re: cyphertext] #6224588 03/15/16 10:56 PM
T
Tactical Cowboy Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
T

No, you don't have "just about as good a chance of missing"... most people can shoot a shouldered weapon and get hits on a target easier than they can put hits on targets with a pistol. This is a proven fact. Again, a shouldered weapon has more points of contact with the body, so it is more stable. Also has a longer sight radius. Notice above I said that a shotgun has to be aimed at the distances we are talking. I can take a group of Boy Scouts out and get them on target much easier with a rifle or shotgun than the pistol.

Those pellets are moving fast enough to penetrate and hit vitals... that's really all that matters. Much bigger wound than a single projectile.

I don't believe that a shotgun is "MUCH slower" on a follow up shot either. It may be a little slower depending on the guy behind it. Also, you are aware that they make semi auto shotguns these days too, right?

Again, the shotgun is not perfect... a handgun has some pros in it's favor. It is definitely easier to move about the house with the handgun, if you have to do that. Easier to keep a handgun on you at all times as well. But I am a firm believer in using the handgun to get to a long gun.

I don't even own a pump shotgun, and I'll about guarantee I can shoot and load a shotgun faster than most on this forum. I'm the first to say time is better spent learning a different gun. I also know shotguns tend to be the most likely to fail. Go to a 3 gun match, and see which gun guys cuss the most. It'll be the shotgun.

Sure, a semi auto shotgun vs a semi auto pistol is not going to be much slower. But the pump most people are going to recommend will, and you actively have to remember to work the action. Ever tried working a pump one handed?

The shotgun is not the be-all, end-all people make it out to be.

Re: Shotguns for home defense [Re: Nogalus Prairie] #6224589 03/15/16 10:56 PM
S
scalebuster Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
S
Originally Posted By: Nogalus Prairie
So a pistol is better than a shotgun in the ease of use/hit what you are shooting at category now?

Hmmmm....

Only if your a Tactical Cowboy.

Re: Shotguns for home defense [Re: Nogalus Prairie] #6224591 03/15/16 10:57 PM
C
Cleric Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
C
Originally Posted By: Nogalus Prairie

Hmmmm....

Debates on how you measure it.

Handguns are easier around corners because they are smaller

Shotguns are easier to aim because more points of contact

It's all in how you measure it

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide