mikei Offline
Pro Tracker

#6224027 - 03/15/16 08:57 AM Re: Shotguns for home defense [Re: mikei]
charlesb Offline
Pro Tracker

Loc: West Texas mountains
More than a few of the home-breakers wear body armor these days, so:

Aim for the chin.

I have my shotgun loaded with an alternating #4 buckshot, slug mix with a #4 buckshot round going first.

Everyone has their own idea about this. - I prefer #4 buck and slugs, in 12ga..

Eight rounds in the tube, four more in the side-saddle. In all likelihood though, the first round is going to do the job.

If there's a second homebreaker hiding behind something though - a slug will take care of that.

Edited by charlesb (03/15/16 08:59 AM)

#6224112 - 03/15/16 10:10 AM Re: Shotguns for home defense [Re: mikei]
Brother in-law Online   content
THF Celebrity

Hmmm I haven't heard or seen many homebreakers wearing body armour lately

#6224129 - 03/15/16 10:18 AM Re: Shotguns for home defense [Re: mikei]
Dien Offline
Bird Dog

Loc: Grand Prairie
Obviously you don't live in West Texas.

#6224185 - 03/15/16 11:09 AM Re: Shotguns for home defense [Re: mikei]
HicksHunter Offline

Loc: Kerrville
So why are people still advocating a shotgun for home defense, when a carbine is clearly superior?

#6224298 - 03/15/16 01:28 PM Re: Shotguns for home defense [Re: HicksHunter]
FiremanJG Offline
THF Celebrity

Loc: Wolfe City, TX
Originally Posted By: HicksHunter
So why are people still advocating a shotgun for home defense, when a carbine is clearly superior?

Carbine has to be aimed, shotgun has to be pointed. Carbine creates a cross section of .223 inches, shotgun creates a cross section of 12 inches.

Carbine round goes through lots of walls, shotgun goes through less walls, or no walls. Kids are on the other side of walls, neighbors are on the other sides of walls.

800 Yard Steel Rifle Range
Long Range Shooting Instruction
Memberships and Classes Available

#6224324 - 03/15/16 01:56 PM Re: Shotguns for home defense [Re: FiremanJG]
RafterH Offline
Bird Dog

Loc: Wichita Falls
Originally Posted By: FiremanJG

Carbine has to be aimed, shotgun has to be pointed. Carbine creates a cross section of .223 inches, shotgun creates a cross section of 12 inches.

Carbine round goes through lots of walls, shotgun goes through less walls, or no walls. Kids are on the other side of walls, neighbors are on the other sides of walls.

Well Said.

#6224369 - 03/15/16 02:37 PM Re: Shotguns for home defense [Re: HicksHunter]
cyphertext Online   content
Tracker

Loc: Wylie, TX

Please elaborate on "a carbine is clearly superior"... Growing up hunting squirrel and wing shooting, I guarantee I have put more rounds through a shotgun than I have a carbine. Familiarity is key with any firearm for defensive purposes.

Also, while this has changed recently with the low cost AR-15s, a shotgun is less expensive than a carbine.

I'll also take 9, .30 caliber pellets vs. one .223 pill for a single trigger pull to stop an intruder.

But there are some advantages to an AR as well... low recoil, high mag capacity... Comes down to what you are most comfortable with. It is the Indian, not the arrow.

#6224371 - 03/15/16 02:40 PM Re: Shotguns for home defense [Re: FiremanJG]
Tracker

No... not true. A shotgun, at across the house distance, still has to be aimed. At 10 yards, mine does not spread 00 buck out much larger than a softball size pattern.

My 00 buck is going to go through walls... more walls than many 5.56 rounds that are designed for defense and use in urban areas.

#6224395 - 03/15/16 03:13 PM Re: Shotguns for home defense [Re: mikei]
tehachapi Online   content
Woodsman

Loc: Harris County
There's not a single correct answer for everyone/everyplace in all situations. Listen, read, practice and make your own calls and learn to live with them. I use a carbine and a handgun in my home defense use. My wife is happier with a handgun. We're both pretty satisfied with our choices.

#6224419 - 03/15/16 03:43 PM Re: Shotguns for home defense [Re: cyphertext]
FiremanJG Offline
THF Celebrity

Loc: Wolfe City, TX
Originally Posted By: cyphertext

No... not true. A shotgun, at across the house distance, still has to be aimed. At 10 yards, mine does not spread 00 buck out much larger than a softball size pattern.

My 00 buck is going to go through walls... more walls than many 5.56 rounds that are designed for defense and use in urban areas.

It is true if one has their shotgun loaded with 7 1/2 such as I do. Point and shoot, not near the wall penetration. With a carbine you pick this bullet or that bullet, it's still a bullet.

And don't try to tell me 7 1/2 won't work. I've seen what it can do, first hand. wink

800 Yard Steel Rifle Range
Long Range Shooting Instruction
Memberships and Classes Available

#6224434 - 03/15/16 03:57 PM Re: Shotguns for home defense [Re: mikei]
Nogalus Prairie Online   content
THF Celebrity

Loc: Corsicana
After having an intruder at the shop I thought I might have to shoot with my .45, I immediately went and got a HD shotgun.

#6224462 - 03/15/16 04:22 PM Re: Shotguns for home defense [Re: FiremanJG]
HicksHunter Offline

Loc: Kerrville

It is true if one has their shotgun loaded with 7 1/2 such as I do. Point and shoot, not near the wall penetration. With a carbine you pick this bullet or that bullet, it's still a bullet.

And don't try to tell me 7 1/2 won't work. I've seen what it can do, first hand. wink

Sure, but it regularly underpenetrates. Why would you pick something that has a lesser change of stopping an attacker? And if you're shooting down a hallway, expect even worse results.

#6224475 - 03/15/16 04:32 PM Re: Shotguns for home defense [Re: mikei]
Nitro27 Offline
Bird Dog

Loc: Terrell,TX
I don't think there is anything more deadly that a shotgun at in house distances.00 buck would be my choice. But if you have little ones running around there is really no good way to secure it and still have it available if there was a need for it. same goes for a carbine.

Edited by Nitro27 (03/15/16 04:35 PM)

#6224478 - 03/15/16 04:36 PM Re: Shotguns for home defense [Re: FiremanJG]
Tracker

Ever shot a dove with that 7 1/2 and when you went over to pick it up, you find that it isn't dead? If it isn't guaranteed to stop a dove, I'm not using it for home defense.

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >

© 2004-2016 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide