Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Re: Texas Trophy Hunter Magazine [Re: tlk] #6231682 03/21/16 09:19 PM
B
batman Online Content
Pro Tracker
Online Content
Pro Tracker
B
I'm in the "used to subscribe and really enjoy it" camp, the whole deer breeder/sale of deer soured me. I too would like to see a graph on their number of members for the last 15 years or so.

Re: Texas Trophy Hunter Magazine [Re: rifleman] #6231737 03/21/16 10:19 PM
B
BMD Offline
Silver Spoon
Silver Spoon
B
Originally Posted By: rifleman
I bought one to read on a flight and left it there and the other one was the one with Kaycee on the cover. I have a hard time reading it, there's better stories, pics and ads posted on here.

I still have mine but they need to turn it around the bag Hunter doesn't care about 400-500" whitetail be growing to sell to multi millionaires. Horace Gore has always been great to Kacee but the magazine is not what it once was for sure.

Re: Texas Trophy Hunter Magazine [Re: BMD] #6232268 03/22/16 11:20 AM
tlk Online Happy OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Online Happy
THF Trophy Hunter
Originally Posted By: BMD
I bought one to read on a flight and left it there and the other one was the one with Kaycee on the cover. I have a hard time reading it, there's better stories, pics and ads posted on here.

I still have mine but they need to turn it around the bag Hunter doesn't care about 400-500" whitetail be growing to sell to multi millionaires. Horace Gore has always been great to Kacee but the magazine is not what it once was for sure.

Read Horace is "on leave" from the magazine - maybe a health issue? Also saw several others were not with them any longer - something going on maybe. Wonder what their circulation has done over the past 5-7 years?

You can't fix stupid
Re: Texas Trophy Hunter Magazine [Re: tlk] #6232292 03/22/16 11:49 AM
B
BMD Offline
Silver Spoon
Silver Spoon
B
Originally Posted By: tlk

Read Horace is "on leave" from the magazine - maybe a health issue? Also saw several others were not with them any longer - something going on maybe. Wonder what their circulation has done over the past 5-7 years?

Yeah he has been out had surgery on his foot he is doing better.

Re: Texas Trophy Hunter Magazine [Re: tlk] #6232791 03/22/16 06:59 PM
T
txtrophy85 Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
Imo they needed to keep to its original platform and not try to make it an "every mans" magazine.

I wanna read about south Texas hunting I don't care to read about Brandon ray killing a mule deer in the panhandle ( I think his writing is terrific though) or someone killing a 8 point in a national Forest in east Texas

For it is not the quarry that we truly seek, but the adventure.
Re: Texas Trophy Hunter Magazine [Re: tlk] #6232818 03/22/16 07:20 PM
T
Tuco63 Offline
Light Foot
Light Foot
T
hmm... the hate is strong in this thread.

Re: Texas Trophy Hunter Magazine [Re: kweber] #6232822 03/22/16 07:22 PM
T
Tuco63 Offline
Light Foot
Light Foot
T
I'm guessing you don't like people that drive Porsche's, either. To each their own. If you have lots of money don't sit on it - hell, spend it and have some fun. What's wrong with that (he asked rhetorically)?

Originally Posted By: kweber
Originally Posted By: txtrophy85
Originally Posted By: kweber
TTH has pretty much ruined deer hunting in Tx...

high-end car-lot advertisement type stuff...

pics of folks who have $ to sit and wait for Mr Ear-Tag...

he'll be there about 5... we been watching him...

but, if you need a trophy to impress... just a small fee...

like going out to the chickenhouse early and grabbing the biggest, fatest rooster for Sunday dinner...

Your blaming a magazine for ruining deer hunting in Texas?

They were just reporting what was already taking place.

lotsa folks bought and read the stories and w/$ they became B&C members...
"sit right here an we'll getcha a "book" deer..."
TTH AND B&C have taken Texas deer hunting down...
instant gratification and little work...
just make the shot from the heated padded rifle-rested blind...
"BTW, we have dogs in case you pull it a little.. extra $ "

Re: Texas Trophy Hunter Magazine [Re: txtrophy85] #6232839 03/22/16 07:39 PM
J
jshouse Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
J
Imo they needed to keep to its original platform and not try to make it an "every mans" magazine.

I wanna read about south Texas hunting I don't care to read about Brandon ray killing a mule deer in the panhandle ( I think his writing is terrific though) or someone killing a 8 point in a national Forest in east Texas

that would be good, then the east texas boys could have texas super trophy hunters magazine and the north central texas boys could have texas super-duper trophy hunters magazine.

Originally Posted By: cameron00
If I send my neighbors a text and ask them to give me feedback on my lawn and plant rye into a giant dong pattern, I'm probably going to get some less than positive feedback. Same goes here.
Re: Texas Trophy Hunter Magazine [Re: jshouse] #6232870 03/22/16 08:12 PM
R
rifleman Offline
Sparkly Pants
Sparkly Pants
R
Originally Posted By: jshouse

that would be good, then the east texas boys could have texas super trophy hunters magazine and the north central texas boys could have texas super-duper trophy hunters magazine.

What? Get a magazine monthly from March to Sept then nothing shows up in the mail?

Re: Texas Trophy Hunter Magazine [Re: tlk] #6232882 03/22/16 08:24 PM
J
jshouse Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
J
ha, I wasn't even counting my home county sir, I thought we agreed it was in NE texas?

I was more going with the Collin/grayson/cooke/denton version of north central texas, you know, the new golden triangle, or, square...

Originally Posted By: cameron00
If I send my neighbors a text and ask them to give me feedback on my lawn and plant rye into a giant dong pattern, I'm probably going to get some less than positive feedback. Same goes here.
Re: Texas Trophy Hunter Magazine [Re: BMD] #6233128 03/22/16 11:23 PM
tlk Online Happy OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Online Happy
THF Trophy Hunter
Originally Posted By: tlk

Yeah he has been out had surgery on his foot he is doing better.
\

I think Horace is the real deal - I have always enjoyed him. Just not sure how he got mixed up with TTH unless it was for $$ or when Jerry was around - but he is a quality person and hunter

You can't fix stupid
Re: Texas Trophy Hunter Magazine [Re: tlk] #6233291 03/23/16 01:27 AM
T
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
I think Horace gore has been with TTHA for quite awhile

Re: Texas Trophy Hunter Magazine [Re: txtrophy85] #6233300 03/23/16 01:33 AM
S
stxranchman Offline
Obie Juan Kenobi
Obie Juan Kenobi
S
I think Horace gore has been with TTHA for quite awhile

Since the mid 90's.

Are idiots multiplying faster than normal people?[Linked Image]
Re: Texas Trophy Hunter Magazine [Re: txtrophy85] #6233446 03/23/16 03:47 AM
T
TEXASLEFTY Offline
THF Whiskey Sommelier
THF Whiskey Sommelier
T

Brandon Ray is the only thing that magazine has.

Originally Posted by Chunky Monkey
Never been to a camping world. I prefer Dick's to be honest.
Re: Texas Trophy Hunter Magazine [Re: tlk] #6233510 03/23/16 05:40 AM
S
Simple Searcher Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
S
It sounds like they found a market in the deer breeding industry. Maybe not what the everyday hunter wants, but a market that pays none-the-less.
I have notice a lot less huge TTH logos plastered on the rear windows of over-sized pickup trucks recently

[Linked Image]

"Man is still a hunter, still a simple searcher after meat..." Robert C. Ruark
Re: Texas Trophy Hunter Magazine [Re: tlk] #6234803 03/24/16 03:55 AM
B
BowsnRods Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
B
Jerry did well to get out when he did, he asked me several years later if he had the chance should he buy the magazine back and restore it to the magazine it once was. I shared my opinion with him, saying I didnt think it could be as good as it once was. I stick to my opinion! I do enjoy reading Gary Roberson's varmit hunting section when someone from the office leaves an issue in the library.

Re: Texas Trophy Hunter Magazine [Re: Simple Searcher] #6235933 03/25/16 02:20 AM
B
BOONER Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
B
Originally Posted By: Simple Searcher
It sounds like they found a market in the deer breeding industry. Maybe not what the everyday hunter wants, but a market that pays none-the-less.
I have notice a lot less huge TTH logos plastered on the rear windows of over-sized pickup trucks recently

Very true! I don't think it will last but a few more years but who knows. The average Joe can't afford that type of hunting, but then again the average Joe can't afford hunting period.

Re: Texas Trophy Hunter Magazine [Re: tlk] #6236295 03/25/16 03:43 PM
R
Red Cloud Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
R
I agree with the average sentiment expressed above. I let my membership expire after several years. What other options do we have out there?

Re: Texas Trophy Hunter Magazine [Re: tlk] #6236591 03/25/16 10:08 PM
S
Son of a Blitch Online Content
Extreme Tracker
Online Content
Extreme Tracker
S
Anybody subscribe to Quality Deer Management Assoc. and get their magazine?

George Blitch
george@mapmyranch.com
www.SonofaBlitch.com
www.MapMyRanch.com
www.YouTube.com/@sonofablitch
"Keep your aim as true as your word" - GB
Re: Texas Trophy Hunter Magazine [Re: tlk] #6236608 03/25/16 10:34 PM
N
NDN98 Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
N
I don't care for much of it anymore. I like reading the Brandon Ray articles about his Panhandle hunts, but generally don't care for the rest of it. I will not re-new membership/re-subscribe.

Re: Texas Trophy Hunter Magazine [Re: Son of a Blitch] #6237225 03/26/16 02:46 PM
J
jeffbird Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
J
Originally Posted By: George - w/ Map My Ranch
Anybody subscribe to Quality Deer Management Assoc. and get their magazine?

Yes. It is a good and I look forward to its arrival. Nice photos of "real" deer rather than breeding experiments run amok.

Re: Texas Trophy Hunter Magazine [Re: BOONER] #6237460 03/26/16 08:47 PM
T
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
Originally Posted By: BOONER
Originally Posted By: Simple Searcher

Very true! I don't think it will last but a few more years but who knows. The average Joe can't afford that type of hunting, but then again the average Joe can't afford hunting period.

It never was an average joe hunter magazine.

As for the deer breeding, that's just who buys their advertising space. It's not like the magazine has articles about raising deer in pens. It's just advertisement.

Re: Texas Trophy Hunter Magazine [Re: txtrophy85] #6237888 03/27/16 01:22 PM
B
bobcat1 Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
B
I was a member from the early 90's to the mid to late 90's. Even had a deer hunt story published by Jerry. He was hunting the Watt Matthews Lambshead in Throckmorton/Shackleford county then. So were we. We had 2 pastures, the Gober and the Butterfield pastures. Went to all the shows in Fort Worth and went every day. Even had the tapes about Old Roman Nose. Loved it back then. Saw a copy not long ago and I wouldn't give 25 cents for a copy now.

Bobby Barnett

Re: Texas Trophy Hunter Magazine [Re: tlk] #6276123 04/26/16 08:39 PM
G
gary roberson Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
G
Horace has been around for a long time and a great and entertaining gentleman. He is the editor of the magazine and is kind enough to let me write on most everything that I want. I feel the latest edition had one of the better articles I have submitted in some time as most of it was written by my Bride of 40 years. It is about her quest for a mountain lion in the Navajo Indian Reservation where anyone can purchase a permit for $250 and the season runs from Oct. 1 through Mar. 31. This is a hunt with no fences and one that most anyone can afford.
Adios,
Gary

Re: Texas Trophy Hunter Magazine [Re: gary roberson] #6276653 04/27/16 01:05 AM
BOBO the Clown Online Content
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal
Originally Posted By: gary roberson
Horace has been around for a long time and a great and entertaining gentleman. He is the editor of the magazine and is kind enough to let me write on most everything that I want. I feel the latest edition had one of the better articles I have submitted in some time as most of it was written by my Bride of 40 years. It is about her quest for a mountain lion in the Navajo Indian Reservation where anyone can purchase a permit for $250 and the season runs from Oct. 1 through Mar. 31. This is a hunt with no fences and one that most anyone can afford.
Adios,
Gary

up up up

Another THF member LF article cheers

Donate to TX Youth hunting program.... better to donate then to waste it in taxes

https://secure.qgiv.com/for/gtgoh/mobile
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide